Display/Sound Setup Thread

What are you faggots running?

What displays?

How is your audio?

What's your source switching solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/wan/6203840851.html
neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?237374-Jailbars-in-the-newer-Genesis-MD-S-Video-mod
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, if anybody knows of an RGB -> YUV converter that both doesn't cost a fucking mint and isn't borderline trash, suggest away. Such things will be useful to all anons, CRTfags and LCDcucks alike.

I could never find a 16:9 CRT.
They cost 4,000$, fuck that shit.
Might as well buy an OLED with that dough.
Wouldn't an OLED/CRT hybrid be badass?

This thing retailed at $1000
I got it for $30 off CL. Best part about living in a state where you have to pay to dispose of CRTs I suppose. Really easy to find folks desperate to be rid of them.
We almost had one, user, but the LCD Jews hoarded the patents and refused to make them. Look up FED/SED tech.

ikegami htm-2050ra1 for my gen 6 consoles and older, some $300 46" lg 1080p tv (hdmi consoles) and 2x dell 16:10 1680x1050 lcds for my desktop.

looking to get a 10 bit lcd and reintegrate a crt monitor into my desktop setup. Have a sony cpd-g200r (1600x1200 4:3) flat crt.

crt has all the benefits of oled and more, oled has fixed resolution which is a negative

also this will be my switcher. it's a professional level device but you can get them so fucking cheap. someone started making molded rca female to extron audio switcher plugs too, so it's perfect.

helps if i post the right image

no they dont. CRT's black levels and color depth is nowhere near OLED

unless there's been a new 12-bit oled invented, I have a 10-bit crt right next to me with better blacks. Plus fixed resolution sucks.

Is… is that an HD 16:9 Trinitron?

See that CRT there, user? It's 15 years old and still works perfectly. Show me OLEDs that aren't completely rotted after 4 years of active use.

Those are BNC connectors. Nothing too out-there. Might have to look into it.

1360x768 monitor.

Sennheiser HD419

Living the broke dream.

They're pretty cheap nowadays. I usually see them going for $100-$200 on Craigslist. I bought mine for $1000, brand new, about a decade ago.

They're usually dual-scan 31/33KHz sets - they do native 480p and 1080i, and will upscale 720p to 1080i in some later models.

Try finding states where CRT disposal costs money and you'll see them going for a song, if not free.

Maybe it's just a nitpic of mine but i feel that it needing power kind adds more commitment to it, it's probably necessary for having that many connections.

I also have a CRT in the bedroom

I fucked by my ctr moving but after peeking on craigslist I see there are plenty in the area. I might snag one.
theres also a cheap as fuck ps4, ps3 and 3ds.

its powered because signal degradation would happen otherwise. It's used in a professional environment typically, and having the quality degrade there would be disastrous.

nice bong

I FOUND ONE
BUT IT'S 100+ MILES AWAYYY!!!!!!
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/wan/6203840851.html

That's not a terrible distance. Just make sure your vehicle has the space, and BRING A THICK SOFT BLANKET. The thicker the better, because the safest way to transport a CRT is kinda on it's screen, face-down. (The weight is almost all at the front of a CRT)

I'll be honest fam, you don't want a widescreen consumer CRT, those things do all kinds of nasty upscaling with 240p/480i content, they process signals digitally so you can't play light gun games and rhythm games are out of sync. Look for broadcast equipment locally, things like Ikegami, JVC, Sony, Panasonic RGB video monitors are all great and will treat your classic games far better.

onestly, I beat Castlevania on an HDCRT, it looks fine and the lag is maybe half a frame. A damn sight better than any modern display, and it doesn't have scaling issues at all. Renders pixels just fine.

Disregard image 1, on closer inspection that's my smaller SD set.

> in the bedroom

I have a 32" WEGA Trinitron, the KV32-FS100. It's not the highest end model of its class but it is pretty nice. I need to calibrate it. Great for light gun games and my genny looks just fine on it. Not to mention it has component for 240p emulation on Wii.

I haven't tested kine with a 16 bit or older light gun, but PS2 era guns absolutely do not work.

Saturn light gun on order from Japan. Will update when it arrives.

it's gonna fall over

Emulators.
My laptop screen.
My laptop speakers are alright.
My solution is only having a laptop, nothing else.

CRTs were never meant to be portable, user. A few pocket units came out, but they have very low max resolutions, are monochrome and use a reflector so the output is blurry and distorted.

I just got an STR-K7000 receiver, but I completely lack the furniture to set it up. I eagerly anticipate seeing and hearing what it can do, but I REALLY need to make room for everything and get a goddamn 「STAND」 for it all. I have a decent CRT, but nothing Sony-branded yet. Haven't turned it on in almost ten years.

got that beauty today
internal speakers
none so far

got it for 70 Canadian shekels. no idea if that's a good deal but I don't care, I love it so far.

100+ miles is nothin tbh.
Here in my 3rd world shithole i'd go 2 times over the speed limit all the way because nobody cares, too.

How do you guys deal with that fucking buzz? It makes me want to fucking smash the crt I have when it's turned on.

It's not as bad in some CRTs and if you mean the really high whine from the flyback transformer, most people aren't able to hear it after their 20's or so because their ears aren't sensitive to the frequencies anymore.

Imageboards, music and some vidya
Only one and some no name 1080 one at that. Kinda want a second one
Usually neat but some sounds suffer heavy degradation, don't even know how to describe it.
N/A

probably get some closed headphones, even better active noise canceling i know they're bit of a meme but it actually works in this scenario

It's more a whine than a buzz. PAL 50Hz is even WORSE. The whine of an old flyback transformer is at just about 16kHz (15,625 Hz). Generate that tone in whatever audio software you like, and it will sound very much the same. I was told in college that it was because the adhesives that hold the metal plates of the inductors of the transformer are breaking down, allowing the plates to vibrate and produce an audible sound. I was too afraid to fuck with the internals of a CRT at the time to see if anything could remedy it, aside from replacing the transformer, but now I don't have a CRT that whines very loudly.

enjoy it while you can faggot

Best part of aging was losing that frequency band. Can't hear it at all

What do

i have a nice collection of consoles and i want to still expand, but i also want more TVs for different uses.

i'd start collecting arcade cabinets but im not rich (or i would). i want to get an old TV for my old consoles (2600, etc). i want to get a nice widescreen trinitron in the largest size i can find for general use. Then i want to get a 4:3 CRT HD for light gun games.

i've also been looking into large vector displays but those are extremely hard to come by without spending a ton of money.

Anything with a digital framebuffer won't work for light-gun games. The raster scanout has to be synchronized with the video signal coming into the set, as in analog TVs.

Theoretically, digital CRTs could have included a "light-gun out" port that carried the sync pulses from their own buffered scanout. I don't know of any that did this - or any lightguns that supported HD sync.

this weeks retrorgb podcast mentioned that it's possible to modify color monitors to become vector displays, I forget the details but just watch this weeks podcast and it should get you the information you want. It's supposed to be very cheap too.

TV manufacturers always treated games as the least important priority so nothing like that would have ever happened. Best solution is a multiformat. Also as far as HD sync, or at least, 31khz, Dreamcast does the trick.

i've heard fucking around inside CRTs could possibly turn me into a burnt pile of ground beef and splatter me across the floor.

thanks for the info, i'll give it the ol' college try. maybe i'll get lucky and get a nice vector display AND be alive to use play tempest on it

just don't fuck with the flyback/probe. it's really obvious what you should avoid.

Watch videos on how to safely ground and service CRTs. Once they've been grounded properly, all of the KILL YOU DEAD power is gone. I think the 8bit Guy demonstrated this while servicing an old Mac Plus? There should still be more specific videos on the process online.

ok, i'll disconnect the flyback before i start working on the TV that way theres no chance of it causing any harm.

will do, i'll probably be fine.

I s-video moded my genesis and test it out on my commodore 1702 and I noticed a ton of jail bars. Did I fuck up?

Also notice a pink discolored corner on the monitor. Putting a weak magnet next to it seem to fix it. Other than that it's a great monitor.

I kinda got used to it with time. I can still ear it, but it doesn't bother me that much.

be sure to ground that thing before

Look, if you wanna make a CRT meme thread just do that.

depending on your genesis model, you will need a bypass I think or you need to change the properties of the signal. Take a look at this thread, I think it'll fill you in.

neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?237374-Jailbars-in-the-newer-Genesis-MD-S-Video-mod

HD CRTs don't work with most light guns. Just gt a regular one.

Jailbars are pretty standard fare for Genesis video. My model 1 doesn't have them bad enough to warrant further fucking around.

All my analog stuff is ran through the vcr to a 4k suhd, because pissing old people off with that is fun.

…. I hope you're not running that XBox One with the PS3 on top like that, user. How the hell is it supposed to vent heat?

suuuure, i guess it has display ports and multi monitor support as well

oh wait i'm retarded

Things are about to get interesting….

Sadly, here's the reality of the HD Trinitron. Look at the difference. 5 frames. It's pretty, and it's playable, but the lag….

Nice.

… where did half this thread go?

You have to be 18 to post here.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Read, summerfag.

Is this a good deal? I'm only going to use it for Melee and nothing else.

Everything but the very last sets on the DA4 chassis will have a bypass mode for HD rates. Turn on HDPO in the service menu and feed it a 31/33KHz signal.

You're going to post it every time that image shows up and I'm going to fall for it every time.

Flat CRTs can stretch the image
But that's still a decent TV, and I bet you can get them to lower the price

My set has DVI, not VGA, user.

The DVI decoder is on a separate board ("UD") and is hooked up to a component input internally. You can still feed the set a 31KHz image and turn on pass-through mode.

That's what I paid for my WEGA. I'd bring a dreamcast or wii to run 240p test suite to check for burn in, wash out etc, especially with how hard it is to get rid of bad CRTs today

Do you have a guide for this? I am now quite curious.

If you are paying for a CRT you are a fool.

Trinitrons are top shelf crts. They're pretty hard to find and were stupid expensive back in the day so people aren't exactly giving them out for free on the street corner.

I see them out on the street 9/10 times i leave my house. Hell in the past month there have been 4 of that same model put out on the curb on my street. For the hell of it i looked it up on Craigslist free section you can go get get enough of that same model to completely fill up every bit of space in your house and likely every house on your block.

Reread my post

I think you need to reread my post friendo. People are indeed giving these things out for free not only on the street corner but on half the the houses between street corners.

Agreed, CRTs are only worth paying money for if:
All other CRTs are junk, and should be free/pay you to haul them off. Government made a big mistake forcing digital, and then making it next to impossible to dispose of them.

Notice how cleverly disguised CRT thread has 0 LCD fag shitposters

How difficult would it be for someone to produce high quality CRTs?

There's a guy who's building new nixi tubes.

incredibly expensive. Phosphor isn't cheap and the manufacturing process isn't something someone can do in their garage. Look it up some time, it's pretty cool seeing glass blowing machines.

bad geometry, digital processing on consumer models.
not just PVMs, JVC, Ikegami, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, NEC, Barco, Hentarex and Monivision are all brands you should keep an eye out for. For consumer models the best stuff were Sony, JVC, Panasonic and Toshiba in that order. JVC produced some really high line count SD sets and are really something to keep an eye out for.

There's also some euro brands like Band & Olufsen, but I don't know much about PALshit.

You still shouldn't pay money for consumer grade CRTs, user. That was my point, don't tip off asshole scalpers like the fucking youtube faggots did.

Ever wonder why PVMs suddenly spiked to nearly double the old rates? Youtube fag makes a video, scalpers buy up every cheap specimen they can to sell at retarded prices. I don't want this to happen to basic consumer grade CRTs, ergo "Don't pay money for it", and only pay

most you should pay is like $25 and that's for a 26"+ early 2000's with component & s-video inputs tbh.

Scalpers are why I recommend almost every brand but sony's PVM/BVM line when it comes to buying pro/rgb monitors.

also a PC CRT is absolutely worth owning, just throwing that out there. 4:3 or one of those mythical gdm-fw900's or an iterative. iiyama too. Different beast of a market, however.