Cut content in video games

If you use the walk through walls feature of the debug mode in this area of Golden Sun 2 and walk into the water you'll drown (with unique sprites). Every other body of water in the game behaves differently. That explains why this island has such a basic puzzle for the point in the game its in.

Other urls found in this thread:

diablo-evolution.net/index.php?pageid=quest
pupik-gt2.tripod.com/info/faq.htm#3
tcrf.net/Fallout:_New_Vegas
youtube.com/watch?v=GLZEusTa1rQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

MGSV Chapter 4

Starcraft 1 had two entire missions in the mpq files that were never used. (Also a crap ton of references to cut unit types in those files, sound effects for some kind of berserk ability for zealots, and some manuals had descriptions of an ability for ultralisks that would boost units around it).

Half-life 1 was supposed to have a monster that would rape players that got too close.

Are we not going to talk about the cut arch stone on Demon's Souls?
They should remaster it and release it with that cut world. Please ;_;

GT2 had several removed cars
Here two of the most famous
A VW Polo And a MB CLK Race Car

Diablo 1 had a ton of content cut, luckily you can play most of it now with the HD mod.

diablo-evolution.net/index.php?pageid=quest

Why do developers remove finished content or forget to finish content anyway? This battleground was practically complete and just needed a small amount of polish before it could be implemented, but that never happened.

Have played a game, got to a certain level and thought "this level sucks and the game would be better without it"
That's why

hey you got problem with that fleshboy?

But they would have found out that the area is no good well before formal playtesting and just scrapped it completely. That so much cut content can be found in the data for these games in a practically finished state bothers me. All it would take is just a couple weekends and the whole of it would be in a releasable state.

Spore :C

Thanks to all the cut content and the fact the devs didn't adjust the completion percentage to reflect that, you can never achieve 100%

Easier and less prone to causing problems with the game if they simply block off access rather than erase it. That's all there is to it.

The Metroid Prime games have a shitton of cut content

I forgot Soul Reaver 1 as well, people are still finding new shit to this day

It depends on the version you play
pupik-gt2.tripod.com/info/faq.htm#3

For some reason cut content always makes me anxious but fascinated. Like it's something we're not supposed to see and we may uncover something horrible.

Like in Gimmick, if you reach a certain point in the final level and the game detects you're not playing legit, the screen suddenly turns black with the text BLACK HOLE while the cheery music is still playing.
Messes a bit with my fears because when I was a kid I used to have nightmares of playing games in the middle of the night and the screen suddenly turning black with a text telling me to fuck off or something

stalker

In Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Raiden's finishing move allows the player to cut a lot of content in the game.

This would've been a nice call back to the original Phantasy Star.

Pretty much everything has cut content

They've probably already used those assets in the other games. Typically what happens if there's a sequel is everything that didn't make it into the first game, makes it in to the second. Then the third game is a toss-up because no leftover assets.

Wind waker has tons of cut content. For instance, areas have been found around Hyrule castle that point to them making it a larger area or even a dungeon.

Sounds like your TV is haunted maybe with a cute ghost girl

MK64 was supposed to have the Super Feather from SMK in it. It even appears in a screenshot on the back of the MK64 box, so it was in a beta version at some point.

Surprised Kamek still hasn't made an appearance in the series.

How big would the list of cut content for Fallout New Vegas would be?

A lot of the cut content for FNV was reincorporated into the DLC. Stuff like Ulysses was going to be a party member in FNV (and a lot of the game references him. Iirc every DLC directly references him too). Ulysses was going to be the pro Legion party member and he was going to balance the large amount of Legion hate that almost every character throws at you with a lot of moral ambiguity about the faction.

I don't know if Joshua Graham (The burned man) was planned to be in FNV vanilla but he was going to be one of your earliest party members in the original Interplay version of Fallout 3.

There's also a lot of smaller pieces of custom content here and there. Like lots of cut enemies and weapons. (Like the Service Rifle was going to have a mod that gave it a bayonet)

The Vault 21 Jumpsuit was going to have an armored variant (which appears in a ton of promotional material and in some of the ending slides) but was cut really close to release. The theory as to why is because there was also preorder DLC for FNV that gave you a "vault 13 armored jumpsuit" right at the start of the game so they found it made it redundant. There's mods that readd it into the game.

It's also worth noting that the lead designer of FNV, Joshua Sawyer, released a mod for the game that fixed a lot of balance issues with it. (Like all of the preorder DLC is scattered throughout the game instead of just given to you at the start. A ton of item weights are fixed. Lots of little things etc). He said about it that he wanted to mostly fix things that the devs didn't have time to fix. It's a really great mod if you wanna keep the game mostly vanilla and slightly closer to the dev's original vision of the game.

It was the featured article of The Cutting Room Floor yesterday tcrf.net/Fallout:_New_Vegas

You can easily spend a whole day reading the articles for it on the wiki, kind of disheartening but also interesting to read. Obsidian was really held back by the limitations of the engine and their schedule.
Embed related, back when I had the game on 360 this dialogue was still accessible by just finding Colonel Moore and talking to her during the final battle. I don't know if they patched this out yet, it's been a while since I did an NCR run.

It's really neat getting this almost cosmic horror esque sensation from man-made works.

Obsidian are very tight-lipped on it, but it shows that extensive parts of the game had to be cut out due to the sabotage that Zenimax perform on development studios. There was meant to be a Legion half of the game world, for one thing.

Agreed. I don't play without it.

Yeah filled a shitton of it's own quests. They wanted to show how the people in the Legion lived aside from just the slave shit.

What is she supposed to be doing? Petting the character?

Stop n' Swap

Not only was it cut due to Nintendo changing the hardware of the N64, but it was restored in the XBox version.

I don't know why so many people think Nintendo is so great, the fact that every game released for the virtual console is a zero-effort port while genuine craftsmanship like Rare's Goldeneye remake gets canned shows deep down Nintendo is clearly controlled by no-fun-allowed Japs.

She's supposed to be giving the player her hand so that they can kiss it, but petting is good too.

If i can recall correctly, there was another gwyn model that wasn't as busty and had a more serious looking face as well. I can't tell if it was the old version or the supposed "true" version instead of the false one in game.

I see they didn't try hard in creating Fi, just opened a cabinet of forgotten ideas and said "which one now?"

The Tomb Raider reboot looked like it was going to be a horror game.

There's actually been a lot revealed about this iteration of the game

Basically the game was only going to have you fight humans in the first few levels. Then the horror elements would start to creep in and you'd largely fight these supernatural nightmare creatures ala Silent Hill.

However then Square Enix shifted the focus towards being an uncharted clone and having multiplayer so most of the supernatural elements were dropped.

Boy that's awful, instead of it being actually kind of interesting while raping a beloved franchise, it's just mediocre while doing it.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I remember that game, how was it?

It did okay. Not great. It was basically a Super Mario Sunshine clone.

If that was the case half of WoW's current content would've been scrapped.

It's really amazing how the tech over there is so advance that the 90% of the body can be mostly robotic.

Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3 used to have these "museums" where you could walk a round like a normal level and look at unused models and animations or other cut out stuff.
That was actually fairly fun and a nice reward for completing the game 100%

No they fucking didn't?
Did they?
I completely both those games and played them for hundreds of hours, why the fuck did i not find this stuff?

OHHHHH

There's also usually a non-100% debug route into the museums that involves you setting the system to a certain time and taking an obtuse back path in a level to a teleporter pad that only appears within a specific time window.

Theres a portal in metropolis in a secret area that took you to the museum at midnight IRL time.

Now we know that the people at Insomniac are fucking autistic as fuck

I haven't found the one in 3, but 2 also had the original height & distance testing level used for R&C 1's development for determining how far and how high they could make level elements

Fallout 1 and 2 got cut content that was restored by mods.

Same with Knights of the Old Republic 2.

There was a lot more cut content in GT 1 and 2 than that. Race car version of the Dodge Copperhead Concept Car for one.

I know of the restoration patch in fo2 but what is the name of the mod that restored fo1 content? Any list of major additions?

Nigga I know, there's enough "hidden cars" to make an almost two hours long video, I just didn't bother searching more than those two.
youtube.com/watch?v=GLZEusTa1rQ

To be fair most of the classic and next gen games end with you fighting various sorts of eldritch abominations in a variety of unsettling environments. so if anything it would have made nuRaider actually be anything like a Tomb Raider.game.

It is the Fallout Restoration Mod. It just adds the super mutatnt invasion mechanic back to the game and some random encounters.