Crafty Sources to Learn to play better?

Even the divebombing videos helped.

Do any of you have any videos and guides and books that weren't related to video games that you used to help your gameplay?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvDz4MrYXNc
youtube.com/watch?v=bbDZIGcfKG0
tailhook.net/AVSLANG.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm good at Mario Party minigames because

BECAUSE WHAT GOD DAMNIT

I've read Alexander Pokryshkin's memoirs and got a valuable advice for Warthunder out of them. Also I worked in hospital once and learned how to make better room layout in Theme Hospital.

Sorry

i've had some in the opposite direction, playing arma adversarial with a skilled group taught a lot about how infantry tactics function. wouldn't work with dumb pubbies but people that know what theyre doing makes it really apparent.
also got to learn how artillery is properly used in ACE mod by an artilleryman.

Link to the training videos OP?

Depending on length I can probably WebM them too.

youtube.com/watch?v=HvDz4MrYXNc

youtube.com/watch?v=bbDZIGcfKG0

Sweet, grabbing them now.

After some technical issues I've got the 1943 one done. Doing 1960 now.

Ah man, the thumbnail is just a black frame. I might re-encode it with a second or two missing to make that thumbnail something else.

Here's the 1960 one though.

I have done boxing, and the experience kind of helped me with timing blocks, dodges and hits in fightan games. Also reading Sun Tzu's art of war is very helpful, even necessary, if you are into strategy games of any kind.

Sun Tzu is a must if you want to play any combat game, really. RTS, FPS, TPS, SRPG … the mere basics of warfare, preparation, positioning, tactical retreats and understanding of resource management will improve your game above and beyond. Of course there's always some form of metagame to understand, but when dealing with other people online, this book really helps.
Here's a short version and long (commentated) version.

rip in piece you tough old bastard

Fly snug, smug.
I'm not going to watch the whole thing, but I did finish the loopty-loop thing. So you've learned to take a slight dive before making the loop? I don't know how useful this is outside of flight simulators.

We could learn a lot from our elders, but they are deemed politically incorrect and outdated in todays society. Really gets your niggin joggin'. Both of my grandfathers fought in that same war as well, one died fighting, other of old age, but got a bad frostbite and shake from it (guess the front). The one that lived only ever forced me to play chess, but never really taught me any tricks other than positioning your pawns in the middle asap.

You know, I was looking for a word that would end with "ug" or "og" to use instead of "smug", but I couldn't find any.
However, the rest of this is pretty damn funny:
tailhook.net/AVSLANG.htm

the first video is pretty basic shit, but i think we need to remember too that combat aviation on that scale had never really been done before. i've heard stories of pilots who were literally hired off the street, so their training consisted of "this make plane go. this make plane stop". the second one is much more informative, although it focuses exclusively on group tactics (and i've never been autistic enough to group up in any combat flight sims on that scale).
i was lucky in that my great uncle was really open and free with his war knowledge because he was proud of his service even if he resented hitler for "taking advantage of his warriors". he taught me a lot of cool tricks, like how to split firewood with nothing but a knife and something heavy, how to eat an egg if you don't have the tools or time to cook it, how to sight a rifle, cool shit like that

I fucking loved doing this in Ace Combat

I'm fucking dying here.

My buddy who was in Iraq taught me a lot about small squad tactics and room clearing and thats helped me in FPSeseseseseseses and when we played Total Warhammer together he basically mentored me in army tactics

the older total wars were good enough that real ancient battle tactics applied. now not so much.

My father's trucker friend taught him a small trick or a habit, rather: when driving, try to move your head as little as possible, try to see everything without turning and instead learn to notice things from the corner of your eye. So basically, keep your eye on the ball, don't disorient yourself by trying to orient yourself.
This in turn helped me with FPS, I set up my FOV to be big enough to see plenty, but limit my resolution to keep only relevant things visible, pixel hunting is for bad P&C games.Sometimes I zone out and just stare at the screen blankly only to snap to a target without even fully registering it. You either need to have really good reflexes, muscle memory or play so much you know exactly how much to move your mouse to land on your target.

Nosing down is a slower maneuver than nosing up, at least in Ace Combat. I found it easier to scrub momentum by pulling the maneuver they showed in the AC7 trailer, especially with QAAMs. Hopefully they have the Terminator's rear-firing missiles this time.

*I think I'm going to like it in this thread*

This thread is hope..

Or, y'know

The problem is the assumption that real-world skills and techniques translates over into the game. Its not entirely true because game devs usually arent that much of experts in said genre the game is in.

You need to keep moving your eye at spots the enemy will pop out. Placing your eye at one spot will burn the image into your eye and thats bad. In CS you need hand muscle memory. You practice it by going to a wall and repeat snapping to the same points on a crosshair on the wall.

very
nice
I do it while moving, I don't camp. Hell I CAN'T camp, I have to keep moving. Usually what gets me killed most of the time, it's the eagerness to score points.

the best of the best is to have a manual that only makes sense once you already understand what it's talking about, preferably written in Ukrainian and machine-translated several times over.

Embrace confusion, enjoy the madness and discovery of having to discover even basic mechanics on your own.

Programming is pretty useful for learning to play better. Not the exact things you learn to do but for understanding mechanics and back-end functionality without having to be spoonfed.

Sun Tzu is much more for real life than it is for vidya, still pretty good though, especially the commentated version

Also by
what I mean isn't for war in itself but rather for having the right mentality