Can the FPS genre still surprise/wow gamers?

Can the FPS genre still surprise/wow gamers?

I feel like technically and mechanics-wise, we have seen everything in this genre already. Doom added floors, outdoor levels and a very functional multiplayer. Duke Nukem 3D added destructable envioriments, mirror reflection and made the propagonist have a well defined personality. Quake made the genre go full 3D (instead of using sprites for the enemies) for the first time. Shadow Warrior allowed you to drive tanks and other vehicles. Half Life introduced a lot of emphasis on physics and complex enemy AI. Doom 3 wowed everyone with its graphics, light effects, the ability to make you dent metallic objects depending on how you hitted them, etc. Crysis took another step forward when it comes to graphics, but not much everywhere else.

Nowadays we have a lot of FPS games which basically look the same (if they're military-themed, especially), play the same (very similar aiming systems - if you're good at one, you will be good at any of them) and don't have anything new to offer which could actually surprise gamers.

In 2011, id Software, the company which revolutioned the genre up until Doom 3, couldn't even make an FPS game which standed-out anymore among the mass of FPS games (RAGE). This is probably one of the reasons why John Carmack left to start working on a different, less overcrowded sector. And probably also why Half Life 3 is taking so long to being announced. They don't want it to be their own "RAGE".

So, what should an FPS game released in this day and age have in order to call your attention? A good plot? Likeable characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

more likely that carmack left because video games weren't satisfying his autistic programming needs anymore

also, story/plot/characters is the last thing I give a fuck about in shooters

Go back to no floors.

The only areas which remain unexplored in the FPS genre are the more mechanic-intensive games similar to Japanese Arcade games, where instead giving you a bunch of weapons and pitting you against some enemies in certain levels, you have to master the gameplay systems as well while being graded on your performance. So essentially, a shooter where in order to git gud you have to learn many technical skills, Vanquish would be one such example. I liked nuDoom's focus on one mechanic (Glory Killing) aside from its nonsensical implementation and design consequences, it was focusing on something other than shooting. Just look at cuhrazy action games and what they do from a deeper gameplay level to stand out from their competitors.

Sure it can!

fucking faggots im telling you.

It needs to be a slow-paced realistic war drama with emphasis on both gameplay and story. It must allow the player to choose how he completes his missions and give him the tools required for doing so.

Imagine a WWII slow-paced and semi-realistic shooter where you play as a Wehrmacht sniper by yourself in the huge snow-covered fields and towns of Russia. You're by yourself and perhaps a spotter or dog with you and are free to complete tasks however you like, while the story unfolds before you as you play. Patience, marksman skills, camouflage and positioning are all things you must have in order to be successful.

Go play heavily modded STALKER. Still more advanced than any modern FPS.

siege surprised me, i tried it on a free weekend, scoffing ubisoft and ended up getting hooked, imagine if the tech used in rainbow was used by better teams though

the issue is the primary FPS userbase is very easily amused so no developers are forced into trying to expand the genre because you just need an okay advertising budget to succeed, very rarely do you even see interesting made-up guns anymore because its easier to just use real life firearms or add a little sci-fi flare to previously existing guns

Protagonist?

To add to your list, I believe Dark Forces 1 was the first to introduce crouching, jumping, and looking up/down.

Shooters really need to continue embracing speed, maneuverability, and skill based movement. Things got way too slow and rigid due to console shooters rising in popularity. Tribes almost rekindled the flames, but died out because Hi-Rez wanted to have the next big MOBA instead. Fucking retards.

Wait, maybe not jumping, but definitely crouch and look up/down. Right?

Talking about innovations, in Quake 2, the skin of the enemies would look more damaged (bruises, wounds) the more you shot them.

I'm sure Serious Sam 4 will do it

The genre hasn't done anything new in over a decade. The best games in the genre are all nearly 20 years old. If that isn't a sign that the genre is shit then I don't know what is.

No one's making cod clones anymore.

your Idea sounds like a cross between FEAR. and Vanquish,

Something is wrong

The only game that has been okay was the Doom remake. Everything else is so childish and boring.

What about titanfall?

no, I hated Doom 3 for ever existing. Muh graphics & Muh atmosphere can fuck right off.

What the games industry needs to do is get back to simpler engines and better game play and map design instead of focusing on the next gimmick. But that will never happen because just being a good game is not enough to stand out in the flood of shit. Everyone seems to understand the games need to get back to the basics but then every indie dev needs to tack on lazy bullshit like "randomly generated roguelike elements" because making good maps and designing balanced game play is not the soulslike CY++ winning formula.

As for AAA developers, they always prioritize graphics over frame rate and play ability. This is why NuDoom will never ever have more then 12 monsters on screen. Fucking Graphics whore and 60GB games = Garbage. But graphics is what reliably sells, so AAA will always prioritize graphics over game play.

/thread

Good idea.
I'd like a shooter where body harm has impact besides an arbitrary number where becoming crippled is actually a problem, and if you lose an arm you won't be able to use some weapons with maximum efficiency.

Kill yourself.

ohoho
you're forgetting some stuff
and the worst offender of them all

Businessman here. I don't feel like it's a bad thing that they share so many common elements. Let me ask you: If there was a perfect way to do something, wouldn't you do it the perfect way everytime? Why deviate and use something obviously inferior (less entertaining, less eye-catching, less appealing) when you can use a style that works again and again. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, small differences can ensure that this perfect method can be used again and again. Is that such a bad thing?

I'll give you the terrorists, though. Enemies should have about as much personality as the main character(s).

good taste

Is that picture supposed to be ironic? Killing terrorists IS awesome, almost by definition. Oh wait.

I was more angry with nu-wolfenstein

We still haven't seen GTA IV physics in an FPS game, or the elaborately detailed violence of Soldier of Fortune 2 being made with modern technology, or the open ended corridors of classic FPS coupled with modern design. There's still a lot of room for improvement, really.

I hate when people use GTA IVs implementation of Bullet/Euphoria as en example of a "gold standard" physics engine. GTA IVs physics were certainly not realistic, technologically impressive yes but it was too floaty and ragdoll-y. GTA Vs implementation made it faster/tighter and everyone complained, saying Rockstar "dumbed it down" I'm talking offline of course because GTA Online completely has Euphoria disabled which is shit but I'm sure they had their reasons for this

I think it was only floaty when you try to move your character around, but even the gameplay was designed around it. Otherwise it was impressive. I don't understand how you could think it wasn't realistic, give me your reasoning.

More like simplified it. No, it wasn't more tight.

Absolutely fucking not. FPS wowed people through technological advances tbh. Doom wowed because it was a leap in complexity over Wolf 3D, Duke wowed because it was a leap of complexity over Doom etc.

But there are no more leaps in complexity to make anymore. Any environment, object, or game mechanic can be done these days, Graphics-wise we're well past the point of diminishing returns. You will never relive the evolution of the FPS genre. But you're free to feast on its corpse, goy :^)

And moreover, an FPS game wouldn't suffer from this floatyness because the first person perspective would make let the playable character ignore the complex physics.

Doesn't mean that someone would actually do it.

The video you posted is a good example I think, Niko looked way too flimsy/rogdoll-like. The GTA V cast conversely had a lot more rigidity which I frankly see as more realistic because human joints are rather rigid relative to the level of physical forces that were given to them. In addition, GTA IVs physics were too light-weight while GTA V gave them some more weight. I think people just expect a corpse to fly 50 feet when you ram into them because hell, the cars impact must've been carrying a high amount of potential energy right? It's a case of reality being unrealistic I think.

In comparison to Michael and Trevor? Did you even watch how they fell off the stairs? Niko tried to cover his torso and head while Trevor turned straight into ragdoll state.

More like 25-30.

At 60 mph, it damn sure have.

Pay attention to their limbs, Micheal and Trevor were a lot more rigid, showing more weight in comparison to Niko
a lot of that energy is already lost on impact as the energy is transferred to the victims body resulting in severe injury or death, so it's not as simple as an equal reaction

YES IT FUCKING CAN

Because there's one mechanic\gameplay that I've only ever seen done somewhat well and focused in a single game, despite the fact it was actually very simple and has LOTS of room for expansion:
SQUADS

Motherfucking Squads! Your own team of 3-5 dudes that follow you around, that you can give orders to, choose equipment, etc but not control directly.
What if instead of FPS being yet again about shooting all the guns, they were about tactical decisions, proper gearing up and scouting, team composition and positioning?

What if instead of being yet another lone gun or worse, an autistic asspie soldier that does whatever is shouted in his earpiece while everyone else carries on pretending you don't even exist except when the plot needs to carry on, you pick missions to complete, outfit your squad and roll out? Like X-Com but with more FPS and less RNG?

Republic Commando was great for this shit since you couldn't handle everything on your own, you had to use your teammates, support them and be supported. And their uses were fairly small, there was no customization for them or a reason to have Scorch handling explosives over Sev, things that could be improved on.

Best part is that this can carry over to multiplayer as well! A player gets a squad to command in multiplayer and is put up against other squads. So in a traditional 5v5, you actually have 25v25 soldiers for an increased scale in both numbers as well as complexity for combat.

Are we seeing the same video?

It depends on where the car hit and how the vehicles deformed. Skip to 0:47 to see the ragdoll flying off his bike.

Advanced AI, enemy and friendly. Like really good shit. Make Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. look dumb. Include this all in team based missions.

No, System Shock 1. System Shock 1 did pretty much everything in FPS in 1994, before Doom.

Pretty much the only thing it didn't do was enemy AI.

Doom 2, I meant.

SS1 was more of an adventure survival game with complicated controls though. Future Shock was when everything started to come together.

HL2's and STALKER's combat AI is pretty sufficient IMO.

kys faggot

Here's an idea that I know has never been tried: 90s style MMOFPSRPG. RPG elements come from classes and a small perk tree with two specializations per class. There's an immense selection of weapons ranging from pistols, shotguns, rifles, electric weapons, explosives, and melee weapons, all divided into a set of tiers for progression: tier 1 being your standard selection of pistol, pump-action and assault rifle. You can carry two sets of weapons, and in later tiers you likely will as there will be different situational weapons, like a flamethrower in the EW slot that can thaw allies and apply DOTs, or a pistol that regenerates ammunition for other items while in use. Dungeons and such are your standard fair 90s FPS levels, with of course a difficulty select ranging from wimp-mode to masochist. Perks could be gained from completing dungeons, so your first 5 or so levels would earn you one point, and so on.

System shlock 1 was still shit tho

It irks me that modern games usually offer very little in terms of environmental destruction.

Sounds like slightly modded Fallout 4. Not memeing.

Pretty sure there aren't even mods that have that, at least there weren't any for New Vegas aside from a recreation of Blood.

"RPG" elements in FPS are overplayed and dumb.

Here's a good FPS game that's never been tried. Fast paced complex movement mechanics matched by a massive arcadey weapon selection fighting against hordes primarily projectile based enemies.
AKA serious sam meets titanfall 2

I know. But I guarantee you, no one has thought of this. OP wants something noteworthy, and the implementation of MMORPG features into a classic FPS form would definitely raise some eyebrows I think.

please god no more serious sam games there's an entire genre of "retro" shooters that are all serious sam clones that are all fucking horrible just like serious sam

So, kinda like Strife with a perk tree? Will it actually be an mmo?
Because just having a decent mmo shooter is impressive enough. Planetside 2 is the only cow in that pasture and it was never really that good at producing milk if you catch my drift.

FO4's dungeons feel like Duke 3D in a way, minus the stupid 3 key system.

Depends on how you implement it. I personally think classes are absolutely stupid though.

Sounds like tedious shit.

It would actually be an MMO, with an overworld and everything.

you're soul is tedious shit

That wouldn't wow anybody fam. You'd just be taking things that have already been done and combining them in a mundane way.

If you want someone to be impressed, like actually impressed, then a functional mmofps is the only thing that hasn't been done for technological reasons.
By the by, no one has been impressed by video games in ten years. Not just FPS, any and all video games. Pretty much anything within human limitations can be done at this point.

there is something that FPSes are missing
its a combat system thats as intricate as that of dwarf fortress; havent not actually played fallout but seen a bit of gameplay in person, i'm not quite sure if fallout fits the bill
but you should be able to shoot someone in the fingertip and have the impact do damage to parts of the body that aren't JUST that fingertip
think that'd be beyond even dwarf fortress, though

ive not actually played fallout, but*
i should get to bed

The thing is, you'd have to come up with ways to force people to experiment with that system, or it would be like it was hardly there at all.
It'll be the headshot 90% of the time.

Fallout 4's got everything you're asking for, user. You can shoot someone in the finger and the rest of their body will get hurt. Just like in dwarf fortress. Make sure to purchase Bethesda credits to trade in for free mods.

There isn't anything technically prohibitive about an MMO FPS. That that should could be pulled off with early-2000's tech. The only reason you haven't seen it is probably because nobody thinks MMO fags would go for FPS gameplay.

This is true and horrifying

lol brain problems

Characters still don't sleep under the covers half the time, and we've gone backwards on mirror tech.

What I want? Crazy shit, basically. Tons of crazy shit.

Enough with that realistic, true-to-life boring stuff. If you make 10 games which are realistic and true to life representations of modern warfare, wich feature the same official US Army camo uniforms, the same official weapons, the same official vehicles, you get 10 games which are more or less the same.

Just imagine 10 companies all trying to do a Formula 1 simulator with ultra-realistic representations of all the same licensed cars and all the same official circuits. You get 10 racing games which are a clon of each other, which might only differ a bit in the handling of the car and the quality of the online.

Btw, with crazy shit I probably mean ninjas, but also dinosaurs. And robots. Not to forget about mutants or Sheeva-like characters with guns in each of their four arms.

Pretty much every current fps suffers from either less than 64 players, shit tick rate for servers, terrible optimization and gun balance. Slap all those to an MMO and you've got a dead game within a month.

Did you even played the game? The idea is not to have players under your squad but that every player is the leader of his own squad of NPCs.

That would never work in multiplayer, everybody would want to be the leader and nobody would listen to the leader. Also, this already exists in the form of SWAT 4.

AI that combines realistic tactics with things that can match what human players can do (i.e. run away in the face of a 50 foot tall bulldozer coming their way or whatever) would be the best. HL2 almost achieves this, but not really because of one major flaw.

The AI would be sufficient in HL2 if it weren't so fucking SLOW. OTA soldiers take 2+ seconds to react to grenades and take far too long to react to a vehicle driving towards them at 120 MPH. Aside from that, their accuracy is very low and they don't use squad tactics enough, when they could really shine like that and kill the player simply because they outsmarted them.

The player should have to use tactics of their own to kill any soldiers they come across, instead you really just effortlessly gun them down. This is in contrast to HL1 when the AI was technically inferior, but was very difficult due to their quick reaction times.

That's got nothing on Red Faction and you know it faggot.

I miss burrowing through different floors due to the environment destruction
Why hasn't any FPS done anything like this since?

I thought ARMA fags played follow the leader pretty okay when their game doesn't bug the fuck out and crash.

It'd be cool to just have Red Faction level destruction in a game again. Would be good for a shooter where you hunt down sand niggers in their cave networks.

The market is there if mine craft and ace of spades is much to say
Maybe after the triple A industry is dead we will see fps that aren't COD clones

Unlikely. Once CoD and BF dry up, devs just won't bother making shooters until someone goes back to the roots of the genre makes a homage game to Black Ops 3.

That's because they'd rather follow someone else they can blame for every mistake then try to understand the convoluted control scheme and rules :^)

Minecraft :^)

yes but not block based and actually fun with guns

Personally i think they'll just go onto mobile games
Its what happened to the developers of WBC3 when the RTS genre died

I can see them trying to make FPS games that make use of the gyroscope in phones. I've seen a few games that utilize it but I don't think it would be a huge increase in FPS games.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY VIDEO GAMES

Then you want voxels. Try Planet Explorers, it's sorta something like that.

Also, 7daystodie. It's zombie-survival crap but at least it has singleplayer\lan and decent destructible terrain.

The Time Splitters games still surprise me.

You can destroy all the buildings on the field, homo.

They weren't realistic, but they reacted differently if you shot in different areas.

Instead of falling down after one shot or flopping into ragdoll, they were stunlocked like a John Woo antagonist.

I don't hate it. I loved it because it felt satisfying. Perfect Dark had that mechanic as well.

I'm sorry what?

youtube.com/watch?v=e0WqAmuSXEQ