OPEN WORLD GAMES THAT ARE WORTH PLAYING

OPEN WORLD GAMES THAT ARE WORTH PLAYING

I find the lack of Open-World, sandbox, replayable games disturbing.

Other urls found in this thread:

linkedin.com/in/colin-moriarty-b52b6432
please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Modded GTA V is fun as fuck.

What mods?

And?

A modded game is still a bad game. If your game needs to be changed to be good, it's fundamentally flawed.

Stalker is a must.

Thanks for reminding me.
Any visual upgrades you suggest?

Goddamn there's too many to mention. So many of them add life to the game that should have been in the vanilla version, like:

And many, many more

play it vanilla or play coc

And yet…

stalker reeks of failed potential, kind of a shame really. end of the day its just a so-so iron sight shooter with bullet sponge monster enemies and joke human enemies.

Mercenaries 1
Mercenaries 2
Just Cause 2
GTA 3, Vice City (Stories), Liberty City Stories, San Andreas, GTA IV, GTA V is a so so, weaker than the ones listed before.
Gothic 1-3
Risen 1
Depends who you are but all of the TES games are good and worth playing, in my opinion.
Fallout New Vegas. 3 is playable, I suppose, but I wouldn't call it very good. 4 is complete and total garbage, do NOT play it.
Betrayer
Saints Row 1-4, I heard Gat Outta Hell was not that great.

No one asked for a philosophical debate on what exactly defines a good game. If a game is fun with mods, a game is fun with mods.

Gat Out of Hell is fun as fuck as long as the story lasts. Beyond that, 4 is way better.

Oh yeah, IV was amazing. It was tons of fun. Recently GOG had that GOG Connect campaign and I could make my standard edition Saints Row 4 into the GOTY edition on there with all the DLC, no workshop mods though.

Fallout 3 had more memorable characters and locations though

I'm honestly struggling right now to think of Fallout 3 characters.

Gothic 1-3
Risen 1
Betrayer

Are the only ones i haven't played yet.

I highly disagree, I found the characters in 3 completely one sided and awful. Speaking of which, did FO3 even have companion quests? I loved the way companion quests worked in New Vegas, if you took your companions around the map to do different things (like with Boone if you visit Bitter Springs, kill Caesar and rescue innocents you will eventually get enough invisible "points" to trigger his companion quest) with a really nice story arc.

if I told you I still don't know what that game is

Are we being raided by Reddit?

A bunch come to mind when I think of New Vegas though. Mr House, Yesman, Benny, The King, Ceasar, Cass, Boone, that cool old woman with the dogs, Matilda, that fuck who won the lottery.

make a suggestion i'm really looking for something to play.

Three Dog
Lucas Simms
Deputy Weld
Moira Brown
Bryan Wilks
Butch Deloria
Button Gwinnett
Aleister Tenpenny
The Antagonizer and The Mechanist
Elder Lyons
Dukov
Bumble
Gob
Colin Moriarty
Maggie
Confessor Cromwell
Nova
Vance
Bob/Harold
John Henry Eden
Dave

To name the ones who come to mind

How are Gothic 1 and 2 not open world? 3 is fine and I liked it if you can deal with some pretty major flaws.
I didn't recommend either FO3 or Skyrim, I modestly dislike both, however I still think they are categorized as "worth playing" instead of "total garbage"
I thought Saints Row 4 was fun, very fun. It was the most fun game I played last year. Fun is VERBOTEN in the reich of Holla Forums Schutzstaffel though.

Actually WoW would be better as a single player experience with bots.

Isn't that Dragon's Dogma?

Haven't played it, wouldn't know

OP was asking for games he could have fun with not "objectably good games". The fun isn't any less real just because the developers didn't supply it.

Curious, how much did you play F:NV? It sounds to me like you really didn't discover the game too much.
Off the top of my head
Cook-Cook, Motor Runner, Cass, Boone, Veronica, Mr. House, Yes Man, Mick & Ralph, Caesar, Mrs. Gibson, Fisto, Benny, LOTTERAAAYY YEAH WHO WON THE LOTTERY I DID, Vulpes Inculta, O'Hanrahan and the Misfits in general which was Razz, Poindexter and the lady I forgot, Chief Hanlon, Sunny Smiles, the illusive Van Graffs, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the lady who ran the Followers of the Apocalypse, Ranger Andy, The King, Joshua Graham, the Garret family running the Atomic Wrangler, Mortimer, Rex, Marcus and Raul.
I probably could try to remember more but I'm done typing.

does anyone know a good skateboardinng mod?

I actually don't remember who half of those are.

Fallout 3 barely had companions. You could get Dogmeat, a dumb slut, a dumb raider, or a smart super mutant. None of whom had anything of any interest to say, couldn't be engaged with meaningfully in dialogue outside of the initial couple of things they had to say, and never commented on current situations.

They were an afterthought at best.

I played it once, it was so fucking laggy the game was a chore. I remember Caeser, Khan, the doc in the beginning, that robot cowboy, Mr House, Benny, those Ring A Ding Ding guys, that NCR guy who runs the golf course, the guy in the Dino, Fisto and the granny mutant.

But I don't remember anything about them beyond their existence. Not their motives, needs, what they had to say or what they wanted me to do, or what I did to or for them.

Watch Dogs 2 was actually fucking awesome.

Except for the 2008 memes.

Get a better PC then, holy shit. You could run F:NV playably on a 99€ tablet. And yeah, you clearly haven't played a lot and you clearly haven't even fucking talked to them and are misinformed as fuck. Go pirate the GOG version and replay it.

That's exactly how I feel about Fallout 3. I couldn't tell you anything about General Autumn(was that his name?), beyond the fact that he's the bad guy. I couldn't tell you anything about Elder Lyons, other than that he's a good guy. I couldn't tell you anything about Daddy Liam Neeson, other than that he's your father, and he invented a water purifyer. So many of the characters don't even feel like characters, just shallow cliches and functions to keep the plot moving.

Ran the GNR radio station
Black sherriff of Megaton
Protectotron outside Megaton
She wants you to break your legs, drink radiated water and beat molerats with a stick. For science!
That kid you leave in a Preservation Pod to go kill firebreathing ants
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
A protectotron with a wig. Fancies himself a founding father.
He owns the only nice place to live in the Capital Wasteland. He also wants you to nuke Megaton.
A superhero and supervillain that fight everyday in Canturbury Commons
Leader of the Brotherhood of Steel
Has a sex house in DC
Loli. Only for hugs!
What, you never seen a ghoul before, smoothskin?
The owner of Gob. Knew your dad.
Loli. Maybe for more than hugging, if her guardian is the way you think he is.
Worships the atomic bomb
You lose your virginity to her
Vampire Leader
The talking tree
Literally a computer
The leader of the Republic of Dave.

nobody cares

you cared enough to post :^)

I'm curious about GTA RP.

I saw some videos and looks fun.

I agree with you my fellow gamer but you completely forgot the best open world title out there Fallout 4™ VR

Does the latest pirated version have all the content from online (meaning just vehicles and itsems, of course) accessible through trainers and other offline menus? How easy is it to mod the latest pirated version? If I'm going to be forced to redownload 60 gigs and restart my save, I need to know if it's actually worth it.

Breath of the Wild on CEMU

It's good for the 10 -15 hours you take to scratch the surface and discover that's as deep as it gets.
Can't complain much since it's free

minecraft

Is there a single frame of this game that doesn't have that godawful haze over it?
The game could look okay if that haze didn't exist

this one side quest is more memorable than anything in NV.

You want to know how I know you're underage?

I hope you hang yourself.

A game that needs mods to be good is a bad product, not necessarily a bad game.
What makes a game worth playing is what you play, not what the publisher sends out.

It's the curse of the openworld cuck.

A little novelty.
100% forgettable.
I didn't even know that thing had a name. Useless character.
Bland and uninteresting.
A random kid that shows up once.
Great potential for story development, but not interesting.
100% forgettable.
Bland as fuck, has no story worth remembering.
Fun novelty.
Forgettable cuck.
100% forgettable.
Who?
That character the devs put in the bar so it doesn't feel even more empty.
Cliche evil man that makes the player think "Hey, I should steal from him."
Who?.
Bullshit character, as well as the others in his group.
Forgettable slut with which you can have pretend-sex with.
Nice sword, forgettable character.
The only decent character in your list was conceptualized in previous titles.
Forgettable.
lol funny plaec guise

Nigger

None. Lego is not a game.

Can Jagged Alliance 2 be considered Open-World?

This argument is the most autistic shit ever. If a vanilla game is shit, but you can mod it to be good, is it still shit? The modded game is, of course. But the modded game is good. It's that simple. People who bitch and moan about how modding games to be good doesn't mean they're good are just anti-Todd.

Needing to improve a game to be enjoyable does mean that it's bad

same thing for you, fsggpt

Characters? Definitely not. Locations? Maybe.
Everything but the atmosphere was shit, compared to Vegas.
I will grant you that there are some good characters. But not enough to carry all the rest of the shitboots.

Not that vegas was all that great, either, to be fair. But it was a fair sight better than Fo3

No shit. But if you improve the shitty game with mods, then you're playing a good game.

Modding a game to be good doesn't mean it is a good game.
That's all people are trying to say.
When someone says "WHAT'S A GOOD OPEN WORLD GAME" and you reply "Skyrim with mods", you're a fucking faggot.

welcome to summer shitposting

But "Skyrim with mods" is a good game, even if just "Skyrim" isn't. It's a petty distinction, but an important one.

How does that make sense? A game that is good is a good game; that's tautological. Who made it good does not change the fact that it IS good.

It's disingenuous, autistic quibbling. Elder Scrolls fans regularly engage in it so as to pretend what the series is actually unique and not something that has been done to death for years now. It's like saying you can't recommend Duke to someone who wants a game like Doom because it isn't a 1:1 recreation.

*that the series

Breath of the Wild, Shadow of Mordor, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. each specialize in player/environment, player/AI, and AI/environment relationships respectively, and thus each bring their own set of expertise to the table. They are all worthy of analysis and I believe are essential to study if a developer is intending on creating a lively, open-world game.

>Fallout 4 :^) with mods that overhaul the gameplay and one that removes all npcs and quests and makes it into a survival game
That's all I can think of.

Bad example but good point.

No game that bills itself as open world is worth playing. But a lot of games that can be construed as open world are worth playing, if you gay fuckfags know what I mean

This name alone is deeper than anything from New Vegas, Colin Moriarty is also the name of a really dodgy games journalist who acts a lot lile his ingame counterpart. It's far better than a villain named after salad.

I recently played through OoT again. And it actually holds up very well. It has what could easily be considered an open world, with 8 dungeons with each dungeons having it's own theme, item, and boss, plus some mini-dungeons like the Ice Cavern. And fuck, I forgot how fucking huge the map was, especially the Zora Spring and the little places there was hidden away and stuff. Plus mounts. And while this doesn't sound that impressive for [current year] this shit came out in 1998. A lot of AAA games made today STILL can't seem to get the same level of dungeon or even boss variety OoT had. I know the game is overrated as fuck, but I can see why it's considered the "greatest of all time" by pleb journalists

He's only a villain if you consider him a villain, retard. Independent is the only choice that matters anyway.

Didn't the writers confirm Caesar was the villain though? The entire point of Caesar was to be what was driving the other factions. Caesars Legion was a plot device to make the war make sense. As fucking shitty as it sounds this is coming from the writers mouths and I wish they did make the Legion more grey. Regardless, in-game they do inadvertently make them seem grey by exposing the obvious problems that was the NCRs corrupt bureaucracy and the like, and they also state that the Legion does make the trade routes safer, but that's really it.

wew, checked.
I don't think they did and it doesn't matter anyway. The fight is one for power, all of the factions and you (Wild Card) simply want power.

nigga, skyrim isn't even fun with mods

If it isn't fun, why is it so popular?

because you can mod it to hell and back, no idea why on console though. I'm saying this as a person who mainly plays console games. Granted this is only a guess since I don't even own it, Arena is a way better TES.

Mods? Aren't those counted as hacking and piracy? I prefer the Creation club that Bethesda just released, have you tried out the horse armour DLC for Skyrim?

You must think League is a fun game.

It is, stop being such a hipster and start explaining why they're so popular if they aren't fun.

This is some Davy Jones' Pier Tier bait, but I'll bite.
Answer me this, in yes or no format. Do you think musicians like Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Lil' Pump, and XXXTentacion are good artists?

Good to some people; good enough that they're popular. Nearly everything is subjective, even some of the ideologies you hold to be unshakable truths, and this is no different. Furthermore, bad games, REALLY bad games that nobody actually liked such as Kane and Lynch 2, don't get that popular; the best you'll get is pre-release hype like Watch Dogs, and once everyone was disappointed by that game, the enthusiasm fairly quickly died down.

You can say Halo, Gears of War, and Mass Effect are all shit, and considering i don't like shooty space games and never played any of them, i'd have no reason to doubt you or any first-hand evidence to raise a contrary argument with, but enough people really, really liked them that they kept making sequels until they burned out, and then went a little harder with it anyhow. I don't know what there is to it, but there's gotta be something. Conversely, of course, i loved FF6, 7, and 9 and could tell you why those were fantastic games regardless of whatever personal objections you could hurl at me for them.

You are the reason everything is objectively shit.

issue with open world games now are its a competition to make the world needlessly bigger so you wind up with MGSV/BOTW syndrome where you spend more time traveling than doing anything else engaging. its not "exploring" if half the game is fields, because exploring is actually fun and few open world games maintain the sense of exploration throughout the entire game

i would like an open world game with a cool economy so the player can actually go treasure hunting or something similar, then you can get frequent small adventures and then you get the results of people making greentext stories on STALKER threads, also every open world game needs some kind of camp or "home base", returning to your safe zone to resupply and tweak things and interact with NPCs is incredibly satisfying

I like this version better.

thats actually my oc

Kenshi is pretty fun.

OTOH

t-thanks then

I guess this is the thread i should ask in: what mods do you suggest for a second Morrowind playthrough?
I like the vanilla gameplay, but I'm looking for stuff that adds quests to the world so i never find myself visiting a city just to be left with nothing to do, even refreshing ones would be ok.
In particular i would love to make a home in suran and stay there for as much as i can.
Tamriel Rebuilt never ever.

And that objective shit is your subjective opinion. Checkmate, atheist.

Anything that isn't hard and specific fact is subjective. For example, the idea that all men are born equal: that's bullshit. Some are born into money while other's are poor, some are born strong and energetic while others are born sickly and frail, and some are even born into time periods or areas of the world that would allow them to live where others would perish. Some people like league, others don't; that preference is subjective no matter what the majority opinion of it is anywhere.

There's a lot of shit i don't like, such as the antichrist abortion that was Breath of Fire 5 or even the limp dick that was Final Fantasy 8, but no matter how shit i may call those games there's still SOMETHING in them that other people like, and that's the fact of the matter. On the other hand, Lunar: Dragon Song; now THAT game is a flaming pile of malignant dog vomit.

So? If everyone subjectively agrees that literal human shit tastes good, you're still eating shit.
Appealing to the mediocre norm makes things mediocre. You know why games nowadays have gotten a lot worse? Because they're trying to normalize them, appeal to the largest demographic, make it accessible. Easiest way to do that? Make it easy, a fucking cakewalk.
However, this goes against human nature. We as humans are designed to overcome problems and challenges that we face. If everything is handed to us, we don't value the merit of facing an obstacle and utilizing everything you're given to surmount it.
Fun can be put into objective terms because everyone feels it the most when it meets these categories
This goes back to what I mean by making things mediocre make them unfun and against human nature. Man needs food. Man tries to kill boar. Can't kill boar with bare hands. Man uses rock to kill boar. Man is rewarded by being able to eat, feeding himself, and thereby allowing his brain to output dopamine in a positive feedback loop. This will cause man to seek better ways to improve his killing methods to seek out bigger game.

By appealing to
you show that you can draw no logical conclusion on what makes a game fun, despite the fact that the above 3 categories are what good games prioritize to make games fun.

Roll thread?

Breath of the Wild on CEMU :'^)

What would you say of Animal Crossing? A game with very little difficulty or challenge, but a game that's still fun for it's colorful and lighthearted style. Can you honestly say that's objectively bad because you don't find it challenging, because you don't like the aesthetic, because it's popular regardless of who it's popular with? To take it back to league or even dota, it definitely has challenge that's possible to beat, and the reward of victory over opponents. Would you still say it's a bad game regardless, just because it's popular with smacktards and BRs? What you like isn't what everyone likes; if anything is making games shit nowadays, it either or both faceless corporations trying to make games that appeal to as many people as possible, or these corporations making games that, quite frankly, don't appeal to you.

If everyone was served shit, like again Kane and Lynch 2 or, i dunno, i never played it but let's say Wet, it'd get spit out fast and tossed in the loo. If people are served a cheap beef stew that's heavy on the tomato sauce for the soup base and they call that Skyrim, just because you'd much prefer some kind of gravy for the base doesn't mean other people don't enjoy the tomato flavor. On a completely unrelated note, Dinty Moore beef stew really went to shit some years ago, and it breaks my heart.

off to the gas chamber and then the gulag

It's back. Still doesn't excuse what Take-Two did though.

GooH has ONE fun mechanic: the flying. Its exhilarating, has fun minigames, and is probably one of the best flying mechanics I've seen in a game. Everything else in the game is basically ripped from SR4 but lacking an actual plot or sense of progression. SR4 is better in almost every way.

Different from the norm sure, but not my cup of tea. But from my understanding, there is still a challenge, but its left up to the player. The challenge is doing what they want, carving their own path. The challenge simply is to be /comfy/ and play the game how you want. Even then, it still follows the reward feedback system.
Yes. Doesn't mean others might enjoy it.
Yes. I can argue semantics about what makes a good MOBA because I've played Smite, League, DOTA, and a little bit of Heroes Smite was the best, spent 1500 hours on that game, RIP, but I wont unless you want me to for the sake of derailing the argument.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there are fundamental principals to creating a fun game that most don't follow nowadays or fail in their execution for the sake of mediocrity and profit.

If you play Horizon Zero Dawn on the hardest difficulty it's not so bad, even plain good at times, especially the first half of the game. When you get completely overpowered later on it gets monotonous but as you uncover the map and get new stuff and new enemies it's fun.

Well, i mean, the argument's pretty much ended since i don't have any first-hand experience with anything new, and so can't accurately comment on cutting-edge games but can only fall back on what i've already said: if it's popular it has to be that way for a reason, and things that're genuinely shit don't stay hot for long.

I have played a shitload of Oblivion and Fable 1/2 and would say that Oblivion was better since it had more openness and a wider variety of quests; having not played Skyrim i assume it's be more or less as good as Oblivion, which people who played Morrowind or Daggerfell would subsequently mock.

Even if that were the case ( and it isn't ) what's more important?: an engaging main story that you actually care about ( à la New Vegas ) or a having a mildly interesting side character from the first settlement in the game?

Good…
and you lost me

And yet you're wrong on 3 out of 5, faglord.

Toddposting was a mistake, now we have people like this.

Don't use ambient occlusion, first off it doesn't
even exist second off if it's not HBAO it's post processing and tries to detect edges on a done picture and causes a lot of graphical artifacting while being heavy as fuck. You're better off putting your gpu's shader unit to better use by pumping up MSAA.
Also some texture mods for the STALKER series are really good (as opposed to the horrendous texture mods for the good NFS and GTA games) but I forgot the names

I'd say that The Witcher 3 is hands down the best open world game on the market. The downgrades were a let down, but the game itself is still amazing. Especially the DLC is of exceptional quality.

What terms would you prefer he used, autist?

I find the current amount of them disturbing

open world is a cancer on gaming

rolll

the jews

Gravity Rush 1 and 2, especially the latter.

And by that you meant going to space with house?

Reported for not even trying to shitpost well.

Independent is whatever you want it to be though, but you are correct, I fell for the ancap meme.

No, no, Caesar is a villain to me. He's basically post apocalyptic ISIS, I gunned that faggot down with a gatling laser while pumped up on chems but it's just that you can consider whoever you want as a villain, you may think the NCR is hopelessly incompetent and puts more people at risk, but I think the NCR is preferable to retards with sports gear that's lead by a guy with a brain tumor and 5 years of life left. And again, independent is whatever I want it to be, I'm in charge.

is DayZ standalone worth playing?

I was watching some frankieonpc videos the other day for nostalgias sake while getting to sleep and it looked pretty fun.

I only ever played the mod version years ago.

It's never being finished, so no.

But is it fun even though it's unfinished?

Not particularly. Might as well play the mod, it isn't infested with as many dumb fucking kids either.

It actually is true though
linkedin.com/in/colin-moriarty-b52b6432
This guy was one of the people who defended ME3 and was the pretentious hipster twat who made the IGN video calling all gamers entitled for wanting a better ending.
No idea what he did to piss Bethesda off, maybe he was taller than Honest Todd and that was enough to make the mantlet mad.

please use archive.ism/boards/threads/feud-between-colin-moriarty-and-bethesda.453352705/
It's full of "my dad works at Nintendo" and people who think Skyrim and Fallout 3 is a good game. But it shows that there could be a reason for the name.

And then there are these gems:
Damn I forgot how retarded forums can be.

elder scrolls online has actually been pretty fun, i got it near the steam sale, it was supposedly really shit on release and when i played it there was a bunch of unexpectedly good things.

dragons dogma, new vegas, mount and blade warband, witcher games

also do you own your 7th copy of skyrim yet?

theres no real reward for fucking off and not doing what youre "supposed" to do in OoT

its there to hide the lack of real antialiasing and detail.

I about forgot that one, not bad for being sneaky but was kind of bareboned from what I recall.

The only good thing about that game is the nemesis system and the rest of the game is awful
Decent game but completely lacks re-playability with no modding support, which is a massive detriment
The best of the 3 and modding only makes it better

notice how it's just you defending that piece of shit barren completely forgettable wasteland that fails at every moment to keep my interest and instead relies on things from Fallout 3 to drag you from objective to objective. it's shit and so are you. wake up

You have to go back Carlos

You were on IGN. IGN is full of shills for Bethesda. They even hosted Bethesda's official blog at one stage. Providence Equity has money in both Warner and Newscorp, it also owns a chunk of Zenimax. Same applies with Gamespot, Gamespot is owned by CBS, CBS has a large stake in Zenimax. On top of this, Zenimax has recently been hiring up an army of social marketeers, you can find recruitment ads for them online, these people go around to sites like Reddit and 4Chan (and its likely here too) shilling for their games. I still say that I don't think people are that stupid, normally when I talk to people about Bethesda's games they often agree with me that they're broken lousy games, its not difficult to convince them of this, people aren't that stupid. People who are paid to push products are.

Because it's designed to be addicting. It's designed to pull you back in like it's fucking cigarettes. Most people who play it get hooked on it. There's a reason why you constantly hear about people forgetting about why they stopped playing Skyrim and go back to it for a short time. Because the addiction is overriding their sense of reason that tells them "If I stopped playing in the first place it must be shit"

get off the internet grandma.

I'm ashamed Bethesda has got as much money out of me as they have already. I don't know how they manage to cram a game full of so many small things to do and you still come out of it wondered what it is that you're supposed to be doing to get an ounce of fun out of the game.

i don't wanna play literally japanese skyrim

are you even trying?

You think just following a quest marker is doing many small things? you're just moving to the objective, completing the objective and then moving to the next quest giver, Bethesda games are basically just offline MMOs. The key with their content creation method is that they just have a lot of people making these quests, this is the only thing that separates them from most RPG developers because most RPG developers have a relatively small writing team or half the time its just 1 person doing it so they tend to prefer quality over quantity. I have never experienced a quest in an elderscrolls game before that didn't just feel like I was following a compass to the next location, because Bethesda does large maps they have to put in a lot of quests to keep the player moving around.

Personally, I think Arkham city is. At first glance it appears to fall into the trappings of a normal open world game, but actually every side objective except 2 (vr training and rescuing political prisoners) has it's own narrative and they are all equivalent to at least one issue of a comic book.

It's more that as time has gone on they've just started using modders ideas to try and reinvent the game somewhat, the problem being that a series of disjointed ideas half implemented is never going to be as good as a self contained mod and it's never enough to mask the fact that there is absolutely nothing going on at the core of your game. Hell Fallout 4 ended up playing like Borderlands only with distracting stolen mods that don't extend my interest in the game at all.

He didn't post Dragons Dogma though. Also, are you the one autist who always posts this boat game in every webm thread?

i posted in a few threads obnoxiously back when i first made the webm. its been months since i posted this, someone else must be doing it. also this one whenever i shitpost to try and trigger Holla Forums

this game is comfy.

Your loss

UO

whats the consensus on PUBG? I've got some retarded friends that are into it so there'd be people to play with and I've got a hankering for some multiplayer survival/murder sims but

any word on whether it's fun with friends or if there are any major stop signs aside from the obvious ones?

Skyrim

Sage for offtopic, but has anyone else noticed a huge influx of people claiming FO3 is better than New Vegas?

It doesn't strike me as standard summer fare. Are we about to see Fallout 3 Remastered from Bethesda or some shit?

Rolling

this game was made when someone noticed the instant gratification in taking day z pvp elements and putting them in individual game

And that person succeded. It's like someone would strip day z off the autism and normalfag butthurt when you played for 5h and finally died.
He however failed to capture exacly the same experience as pvp was tense because you could lose progress, in pubg you don't lose shit and instead jump quickly into next round.

It can be fun with skilled friends but just tiny bit more fun than cs. Hell all multiplayer games are better when you play them with buddies who know their shit so i'm not sure if that's even worth mentioning

I'm sure this guy was making the mod for arma 2 before dayz was even a thing

Legate Lanius
Lucius Lucullus
Cass
House
Chief Hanlon
Cook-Cook
Motor Runner
Easy pete
The King
Heck Gunderson
Elijah
Dean Domino
The survivalist
Boone
Benny
Mr New Vegas
The Van Graff twins
Caesar
Graham

Really? Well i guess my explaination is invalid.

If that's the case why are they getting smaller? The problem is developers are either getting lazier or less talented, or corporations are enforcing ridiculous work standards on them in such a short period of time they can't devote the time and energy required to make open world games as they used to be.

Compare Fallout 4s map to Skyrims, Oblivions, Daggerfalls, or Morrowinds. It's smaller and has less content.

It's laziness + corporate apathy. The devs don't need to try. They know it'll sell either way.

Paid mods are the issue - why? Because Bethesda is trying to milk the modders who do their work for them.

Then you throw in corporate "if it sells, why fix it?" apathy and you have the current decline in today's vidya.

(((They))) know this, yet Holla Forums doesn't. Amazing how anyone could even go the "ridiculous work standards" route when all the signs point to "if it sells, why fix it?"

A different genre, sure, but remember when NHL 15 came out on PS4/X-One and everyone was like "where's all my features"?

This was followed by an uttterly transparent interview in which "we put the player first" was the mantra given.

These devs et al DO. NOT. CARE. about you.

They just want your shekels, so pay up goyim!

Not really true though. It certainly has less copy pasted assets than all of them, probably except Morrowind. Every area in Skyrim, Oblivion, and Daggerfall look all the same. Have you never tasted Oblivion dungeons? The loot and enemy scaling is nowhere as bad as Oblivion and Daggerfall either. Oblivion has like 95% of the items level scaled and randomized, Fallout 4 reduced it to about 75%.

I can't wait for summer to end.

That approach to the issue is essentially what Holla Forums thinks in most cases.
U new, or just drowsy or something?

Also, some devs care, but they generally lack said corporate influence; so smaller developer studios/1MAs that do it for the fun of it.

Fuck sure, I've been meaning to replay.

Dragons Dogdildo, Dark Erection.

user, do you have the Webm of Fallout 3 trains?

U-Boot, please.
Silent Hunter III or V are the two comfiest games ever. Sail the wide seas, listen to comfy old timey music, pretend the Reich never ended (Holla Forums should like this), and wait for a convoy to show up. And once a convoy DOES show up, it quickly turns into the most intense situation you can find yourself in.

The only locations I remember were Megaton, which is so fucking terrible that it was a joy to blow up, and that godawful carrier town that was a bitch to navigate even with the map.

So you are the Silent Hunter Autist. Pleasure to meet you.

Fallout 4 really is Bethesda's masterpiece in a lot of ways.

There are a couple of us. It's just an incredibly German thing.

When the fuck is the next oberlieutenant thread

If there was a way to make betterthanwolves not autistically hard and combine it with immersive engineering, minecraft would be super comfy, but here we are.

When the Kaleun oders it.

If by open world you mean big maps where you can explore, lots of monsters and characters, then I recommend Gothic 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Morrowind, Skyrim, Risen

It's not recent, fag. It's a very common opinion that many people have since they wanted an actual wasteland that gave you an "end of the world" feel to it, while New Vegas only delivers a "backwater rundown desert" vibe.
New Vegas is closer to that movie with Snake Plisken than actual post apocalyptic, at least in most people's minds.

New Vegas does have the better gameplay, story, characters, amount of content and the actual landmarks are quite interesting, but Fallout 3 at least doesn't happen in a desert, nor does it default the world to an U-shape just so you can take part in Obsidian's "epic amazing story"

And then most of the content there doesn't make sense cronologically, like the encounter in Boulder City with the Raiders that were helping Benny, something clearly meant to be found while you were still looking for him, as well as the general difficulty of the enemies you find and the exposition about the world slowly fed to you on that road.
Just because it has a better story, that's no excuse to force me to sit through it everytime and in the same way.

Incorrect. A lot of unique items can be found in specific quests or locations. Everything else, while quite powerfull, barely gets any story or piece of lore about it, like Eidolon's Edge.

And Fallout 4 went overboard with the generic enchantment of Skyrim, going for a system closer to Diablo, where you find random weapons with a special modifier from the body of legendary enemies. They placed a far heavier focus on you finding random crap that has the potential to be better than anything you can craft (since I don't think you can add those modifiers) but never is since it's never a fully optimized weapon.

These things are adorable. :3

I wouldn't recommend neither Skyrim nor Risen, user. At least not without saying a few things about them first, just so the other person isn't caught unaware.

Skyrim might be open world, but it re-uses a fuck ton of content, from furniture for dungeons\forts to the very tileset itself, you'll be seeing the same thing a lot. They vary in shape but not in color, so the more you explore the world, the more it seems the same.
Plus, it's even worse than previous games in terms of quest locations where an NPC has no problem telling you to travel the entirity of Skyrim for a necklace in some cave (full of draugr). Because of this, you'll end up using Fast Travel quite a lot and thus miss out on the whole "open world" aspect of it, just loading stages.

Then there's the fact that you don't actually exist in that world, you can barely change it and the entire population feels incredibly autistic. It's something so bad they are only barely better than Minecraft's villagers. And while there's plenty of story for quests, most of them revolve around the same things anyway.

Then there's combat that is so bad it makes any Legend of Zelda seem like some advanced tactical shit. You literally just swing your weapon around and compare stats with your foe\exploit the bad AI that can't handle shields or small walls\make up for lack of stats with HP potions. Gothic had a lot more going for it in comparison.

Skyrim is a game that will make people dislike Open World games.

Risen is better, but progression is somewhat limited and bound to the story (not unlike previous titles). It's not a flaw, just how the game plays out. However some people will want a more open experience and will feel disapointed that they can't go everywhere right from the start or train skills as much as they want.

The mechanics are better, but the enemy placement and level designs are really fucked up. Just about equal most of the time I guess, only better when you try to become more tactical with different ammo types.

I remember trying to give my character 100% reflect spell and 100% reflect damage. Most of the items were placed randomly and/or scaled to your level. You also find bandits with daedric arsenal. The scaling of Oblivion is absolutely ridiculous, and most of the good items are scaled. I don't know how anyone could prefer it to any game Bethesda has ever made.

Better than finding powerful enchanted weaponry from COMMON creatures in Oblivion.

It gives legendary enemies a reason to be killed in my opinion. I'd prefer if the locations of some of them weren't so random though. The process of finding Xuanlong Rifle in FO3 was fun, FO4 should've had anything like that.

The combat surely has more stuff going for it, but I wouldn't say it's any better than Skyrim. The controls are shit and free roaming sucked.

I didn't said I though it was a good idea how Oblivion handled things, but I honestly think Skyrim is actually worse off with the fixes they tried.

Random placement of items means you don't just rush whatever place holds what you want right from the start with meta information that makes everything else you'll find afterwards redundant. At least with random items you get some use out of everything else before you get whatever item you want and it's not as deterministic.
You're also exagerating since you basically wanted to make a broken character and you're complaining the game didn't made it easy. BTW, you could have used sigil stones from level 20+ for 100% chameleon which is even better than what you were going for.

Bandits having daedric armor was a problem (that can be hand-waved with the Daedric invasion if you want) but the "fix" they went with was "let's decrease their armor and increase their HP instead", which is why you have bandit chiefs in Skyrim with obscene amounts of HP, to make up for their lack of proper armor.
It's the "goblin chieftain" all over again, complete with almost no feedback telling you just how strong someone is before you land a blow on him.

More exageration. You found generic enchanted weapons on common HUMANOIDS, not even creatures. The real good stuff was on the dungeon's boss and the dungeon's boss chest.
BTW, Fallout4 "legendary enemies" are basically common enemies with more health and damage, that's it. And they give you "rare weapons".

Then who was phone fighting over middle?

ROLLIN

I'm assuming she picked someone that can go either jungle or bottom and since there was someone already in jungle, might as well be support.
That or it's the meta of trying to go for a 3v2 right at the start of the game.
It's all shit either way.

Kenshi is top tier.

>unique setting (lost my shit when I looked at the skybox, saw two moons, and realized that this isn't earth)
>doesn't try to be indie (((survival))), i.e "fill up the hunger and thirst bars that deplete at the same rate so you can craft shit to make it easier to fill the bars so you can craft shit"

I'll also drop a reccomend for kenshi.
The setting is really neat too, and you can really tell the dev actually plays/enjoys their own game; as you run into "wish I could do X", and it turns out you can with a bit of work.

skyrim's pretty good

Floor texture and mesh is shit in every pic,

Not all Open Worlds are Sandboxes m8

Popularity doesn't equal fun.

Designated shitting streets are popular. Taking addictive drugs is fun, at first. There's a billion chink communists, how much fun do they seem?

It's popular because it has a half decent gameworld and was, 6 years ago, something semi-dense to dig through that might have sniffed at the heels of Morrowind but didn't manage the feat. People are starving for a half decent RPG and this is all they have, it would be much less popular if there were some decent modern titles past Witcher 3 to scupper it.

It was kind of tortuous/ugly-old-fun about 4 years ago but I'm guessing the server populations have dropped to shit and it looks as terrible as it ever did and really not worth the effort. Every game is a one-shot unless you have persistent gear and then it's the eternal slog to raid the airport again or else capming out shooting noobs for nothing of value.

The reason I stopped playing it is because I finished it and there was no merit in another playthrough.

It's not addictive, people going back and modding it are just desperately trying to polish the best turd they have.

Then they go back and mod new vegas, the best bethesda game ever not made.

Aye, I did this recently, so did you and everyone else with that unfed craving in their guts.

Wait, theres a mod where you can shoot up a gay worship parade?

Now I think, I stopped playing Skyrim when I got going on the Vampireshit DLC and the clingy MPDG Vamp follower got on my nerves so much I couldn't tolerate her or her yawnsome family of edgelords any further.

Might as well stay with your Fallout 1 & 2 if you think the presentation pales in comparison to the content.

Although I agree, I just can't get over how dated New Vegas looks and feels. Somebody shoot my head and put me in a ditch I guess.

Yeah it needs the graphic overhaul and even then you still get creatures getting stuck in mountain sides and the like.

Here's another thing, nothing really *big* happens in NV that's not directly the players doing, closest we get is deliberately botching the launch of the Ghouls rockets, firing Helios One and the Boomers actually flying some shit over the dam in the last minutes, there's nothing that significantly changes the gameworld from one state to another that I can think of, at the very least 3 had Megaton and Liberty Prime tromping about and you could down the Brotherhood's shit machine into the airport in 4, not that I'm defending or big-upping either.

It's bad don't play it. As in most cases, the free mod is better, the exception being it has better controls than arma does.

lw frt rllin

It's far easier to make a game breakingly OP character in MW though. TES is a game about discovering things, not difficulty.

I actually have no problem with bandit chiefs, since they don't spawn literally everywhere like in Oblivion. They supposed to be miniboses.

I was referring to goblins.

Really? I always felt like rewarded with nothing after clearing a dungeon.

I see nothing wrong with that, though they could use more variety than just buffed common enemy. I always have a reason to kill them.

More depth maybe, but severely let down by the controls. Good combat needs more than just variations, you'd also need good controls and fluid animation.

I still have more fun firing magic with FPS controls.

Unrelated note, but Metroid sucks.

yeah ok

But Bethesda didn't make fallout 1 or 2 Or am I wrong?

What will it take for either the BO or his useless volunteers to actually do their fucking jobs and put a stop to this viral marketing?

Am I the only one that sees a penis?

Don't be so transphobic user