Did you ever dismissed a game because it looks like shit...

Did you ever dismissed a game because it looks like shit, but then given it another chance and it was actually pretty good?
It happened a few times before, so when I feel like I might give some shitty game a chance I usually do.

Earth's Dawn is one such game. Boy does it look like ass, but all the budget they saved on visuals went into polishing everything else it seems, it has autistic amount of LORE, everything is voice acted, and it has some in-depth customization.
It's a beat'em up probably inspired by vanillaware games, but instead using Monster Hunter's system where you go to missions in the different areas of one big map to earn materials, and then use them to craft new shit.
New weapons actually properly display on character model, and if internet screenshots are any indication armor does as well. At least some benefit of having basically no animation and shitty fucking art style.
But most importantly combat itself feels pretty good. It's fast, responsive, and apparently pretends to have some depth with back-stabs, counter-attacks, grapples and shit like that. I dunno how much of it you need though, since early on just mashing buttons work well enough for getting S ranks.

It's hard to say how long will it stay its welcome, but I feel like most people overlooked it because of its terrible visuals, which is kinda shame, game is pretty fun.
Here's a magnet if you feel like trying it:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:568963F066C366DD38910D0303F6BE1D7BB433B2&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt2.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Earth's%20Dawn%20%5BP%5D%20%5BENG%20%2F%20MULTI5%5D%20(2016)%20%5BScene%5D

I don't know if there anything discuss about it, but if you was in situation like this, when terrible looking game turned out not all that bad, I'd like to hear about it.

This shit was released a year or so ago, and nobody bought it. It has like 55 steam reviews, I don't think devs give a fuck about it anymore. Just torrent it.

They also were retarded enough to put dumbstep into the trailer, which probably drew off whatever little potential audience it had that looked past the graphics.
Actual in-game music is nothing like that, it uses your standard post-apocalyptic anime buttrock.

For the hell of it I decided to give The First Templar a shot, inspite every fibre of my body telling me otherwise.
It's not the best of games, but I'd be a liar if I said I haven't enjoyed it the most out of every arkham combat game. It's difficult, you get to remove french and kebab(but most french) and as stupid a complement as this sounds the costumes look pretty great.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7EE6470C4BF7D0CE30814BE0CA7C0AAF88FE684E&dn=The+First+Templar-Razor1911&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnemesis.1337x.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2F10.rarbg.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fgenesis.1337x.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrentbay.to%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fexodus.1337x.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fpow7.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.1337x.org%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.zer0day.to%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fcoppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce

into the trash

the animations look like hot garbage but there might be a good game behind themif the game pits you against hordes of enemies instead of 3 at a time

when you said it looked like ass i thought it looked like normal ass, but oh boy, that's advanced ass right there, gonna give it a look but damn, the trailer made my eyes bleed.

That does look like trash all right. What's with crusade and sub-par games made about them. Ever played the Cursed Crusade?

Duh.

I played only 3 levels at this point. Yes it does throw swarms of smaller enemies at you, but they are mostly harmless it feel kinda like musou game at this point. The only remotely challenging thing was the very first boss, ripped straight out of DMC3.

I've "played" Cursed Crusade. The first cutscene was so long I geniuenly thought I was playing a Hideo Kojima game, and the game itself felt stiff and kind of odd to play so I didn't go past the first level.

that weird dip after 2006 and before colours or lost world, it's better than that.

Also crusades have good games, except they're strategy games.

Stronghold Crusader is also pretty good, I was talking mostly about action games.

The character art alone gave me three virulent forms of ass cancer. Good fucking lord.

First time I played Sword of the Stars, I felt it was stiff and weird and didn't really get into it.

A few years later my friend wants to try something new so I look through my endless library of aborted games and find it. So I say fuck it and we roll a fresh game with us and a bunch of AIs.

It took us days to play it through, but holy fuck it was worth it. I had no idea I was sitting on a gem for that long. That game relaunched my interest in 4X games and I don't regret it.

I'd straight up call them creepy. They remind me of that old Nickelodeon cartoon Angela Anaconda.

Looks like they had a girl or an autist with no sense of artistry or talent do the graphics and animation.
Despite it being the topic of your thread, the animation is so outputting I wouldn't touch the game.
Fucking retards, they deserve to fail if they put so much supposed effort into "gameplay" and then render the result as a spastic flash animation of a bunch of fucking porcelain dolls.
If it was a physical object, I'd smash it with a hammer until I was satisfied the pieces would be small enough as to be unrecognisable for what they were.

At first Gigantic Army seems like a low-budget rip-off of Assault Suit Valken, but after playing it it's actually just a really fucking good run 'n gun in general and easily one of the best. The physics and the stage design are easily the strongest points of the game, requiring smooth maneuvers to pull off without taking damage. You're expected to make full use of your dashing maneuver, gliding, shield, your subweapons, and your pilebunker to survive.

What's also great is the randomness, the arrangement of cannon fodder is random like in the Contra games, so getting better is not a case of pure memorization, you also have to constantly adapt on the fly. The scoring system is also worth a damn here. Most games with scoring and randomly spawning enemies tend to be easily broken for obvious reasons, but Gigantic Army easily sidesteps by adding in a time limit in which you must complete the level, and giving you a massive bonus for the time remaining which is multiplied by the amount of health you have remaining. It's as simple as it gets, go fast and don't get hit. It looks simple, but it's really engaging if you try it for yourself on Insane, which is how its meant to be played.

It's cheap, always on sale, and really fucking good like most Astro Port games. Most people should have heard about Satazius at least.

Fair enough. I'm no graphics whore, but I think good art style is essential no matter graphical fidelity.
I think they ported it to PC in the first place because nobody bothered with it on PS4.

I got true ending in that, and am pretty sure there was no randomness, enemies did endlessly respawn but in predetermined patterns.
I rushed like motherfucker against the timer though and by the end of it my shitter was shattered a couple of times, so I might be entirely wrong.
How does its sequel compare to it? I've seen people that liked Gigantic Army shitting on it.

I believe you OP, I downloaded it and will play it later.

World of Warcraft. Was shit up until Cataclysm. I thought it'd peak in greatness at Warlords of Draenor but then Legion happened. How does Blizzard keep making such great MMO's?

It's the monhunh aspect that made me to make a thread. I know some other 2D games tried it like Mercenary Kings, and it didn't went well after first couple of levels, so don't expect much.

Steel Strider had its moments but the pacing was all over the place and felt a lot more generic compared to GA

The combat is cool and the game is not that bad (except the character proportions, i hate characters with big torso and small legs.) but nope, not worth of my time.

This triggera me so the game is garbage.
I'll go back to Strongholds

Timer is actually just for the immersion. I guess?
Even if it runs out and you abandon/fail story mission you can still keep all your shit and do free missions, so you can grind all you want.
The rest is pretty accurate.
I wish they at least gave you some helmet right of the bat, so I could pretend it's a SRW fan game.

Why these slant eyed nips doing this, why they always fuck up controls?

B-but it's my personal control scheme!
It's just how it translates into menu control!

do you have a severe care of crippling hand disorder?

I S ranked DMC3 with this layout on emulator, fuck off.

pics to prove it

It was a long ass time ago on an entirely different computer.
I don't care if you don't believe me, but you should try this layout sometime, it's pretty comfy. Maybe emulate some genesis game with it.

Yeah and my dad works at Nintendo

Let him tell mark to ban waifu threads then.

Well, if the timer is just for show then it's okay, i really hate timed games, i hate them with a passion.

Only reason i never replayed Valkyrie Profile 1.

Oh my fucking god man VP1 is god-tier, you really fucking missed out.
I did skip Dead Rising because of timer though, so I can get both sides.

I don't have nintendo anything, so I don't care for their shit practices. All who buys nintendo stuff are cucks and deserve to be milked.
I'm sorry I can't read. Yeah timers in games suck.

Well, I guess that proves it's a suboptimal setup

so it's shit then

Thanks to the retarded idea of hiding next difficulty behind the previous one there is so many times I can replay the same game before moving on.

nigga I've been hanasing nihongo for years now, I have no issue with nipponese things. My issue is that "full voice acting" is never a good thing, it is the very thing that killed the entire genre of RPGs.

Button mashing grinder is not an RPG though.
Musou games were fully voice acted since 2.

I dismiss all western games, especially mainstream ones and 2D ones. westerners can't make games.

Try risk of rain, chances are you might like it.

That's dumb.
Don't be dumb.

Alright, so ive just played the first two missions of earths dawn and I can see what can be fun about it. The camera however is way too fucking close to the character, it might as well be just a picture of your character because you barely see anything else around you. I also wish the skills tree was a bit more clear with what and how you could link skills. This complaint might also be because im in the early game but what the fuck are your team members supposed to do? They vanish during combat.

Nope

God, why did you remind me of this. I still canĀ“t believe how anyone could think that this artstyle is cute and fitted for kids. It was straight up nightmare inducing.

Unironically Mount and Blade Warband. I had never heard of the game before and all the Screenshots looked fucking horrible but the description sounded interesting and the reviews were good so I gave it a try and boy am I glad that I did.