Jesus christ how disappointing.
DF thread?
General game disappointment thread? Up to you

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=164725.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Play Rimworld

I think he makes about the same money on average via Patreon, versus from Paypal. He does those transparency reports every month/year. Still, earning a $22k/year livable income from devving must be nice

man, sometimes i forget how skewed gamedev vs. regular software dev money is. that's 3-4 months pay as a corporate programmer.

I make $13k/yr CDN and I'm below the poverty line, and still manage to save up a few thousand a year.

I don't know what's worse, that everyone seems to make MILLIONS BILLIONS more than me, or that they can't fucking manage their money and I can't be bothered to apply myself to make more

nigger i make 22k a year as a night crew at a local grocery store, apply yourself

Yes, I have a part-time mcjob at Walmart too. I get $12.40/hr, no benefits, and 24-30 hours a week

Any tips for finding a job? I've gotten rid of the last bit of self respect and even McDonalds won't hire me.

Make friends with respectable people who can serve as good references and shill you to their bosses. Also invest in dress pants, polo shirts, and nice shoes.

If you have a resume, make sure it's typo free. Most things are done online now. Remember to use a few buzzwords in your skills. Everyone expects you to embellish a little bit, but don't outright lie about things you cannot do.

etc

he makes way more.
earlier his monthly donations started to wane if he hadn't released a new version in a long time.

It's been over a fucking year

That's 2.5x what I make now.
I'm living comfortably.

I could afford nice things like: wisdom teeth, investments, a car, maybe even a property, with a few years of that much income. Instead, I have to rely on public transportation and rent.

He makes at least 5k/month.

fucking retard
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=164725.0
I hate all you niggers

Are you that guy that lives under his mom's house?

Maybe he's one of those Japs who lives in tiny modern huts

8k a year is decent dough for a single man in most countries in the world that are not western europe or anglozone

You may not have noticed, but that would be most posters here. I mean, I guess he lives out of a shack on a rice paddy. Nothing wrong with that, as long as his internet's good enough to pirate vidya.

Yeah, if you're 17 and living at home with your parents with 0 financial responsibilities

Hi

Wait, you're not actually 17, right?

My core expenses are as follows:

Looking at my previous bills, I have $215.90 over the last month at Walmart. I work there so I get a 10% discount on all purchases (additionally 25% off my phone bill, which is rounded up and applied, above). Looking at fast food places, I spent $82.14 eating out. Most of my purchases at Walmart is food. Thus, I spent about $300 per month on food (or about $10/day, which is kind of high).

All together that's about $874/mo plus misc expenses. Say $900.

I earn $12.40/mo and budget for 24h/wk, but recently I've been getting 32h/wk; assuming 50 workable weeks at 30h, at 12.40, and taking 15% off for tax, you get $15,810 net income, less 12 months of expenses ($10,800) gives roughly $5,000 discretionary income.

Keep in mind: My own personal expenses are in CDN. The other patreon/income shit was in USD. 22k US is about 28k CDN.

The world is not america, burger boi
Non-1st world countries are cheap to live, although that comes with another price to pay: security, corruption and no resources, sometimes with all 3 included

I agree with Holla Forums, the other boards i disagree
Obviously i would be not very comfortable with 8k a year thou, but you can live very easily under that

Well, why didn't you just say you were using monopoly money?

Because it was real in my mind

You're already good at counting your dough, just keep building up dude.

HOO HOO SHO

So how long has your $20 [favorite steam shit game] been on early access?

CDN was, at some point, stronger than USD
Let's not joke that much because not long ago a bunch of leafs were more respectable than the world's greatest economy
WAS

You're right, but when someone says they're earning US DOLLARS it usually means they're in America, retard.

You can buy wisdom teeth?

Actually go to the store and ask about applying. If they have a physical application do it. Otherwise apply online and then call them to see what you should do next. It lets employers see that you're serious.

Half of the jobs pay in dollars around international products like software and digital products, asshat
You can thank the jews for that i suppose
Friendly buddy sage

Mine are quite crooked. They haven't manifested physical pain but they sliced through the gums years ago. The other teeth don't seem to be affected (much). But it is a problem that will need to be dealt with eventually, and I don't want to spend $2,000 on dental surgery, when if I can wait until I get a FT job with benefits, it will likely cover most of it.

Haven't played DF in not even sure how many years has he finally fixed the "bug" where the interface is inconsistent, purposely obtuse and just generally garbage?

Not at all.

There was even a military overhaul a few years ago, and that made training groups even more obtuse. I agree the UI needs an overhaul.

It's not a matter of gitgud, the game is suffering from missing QOL features

wat genre is dwarf fortress
and why do df clones fail

how disappointing. I respected them for having the donations contained to the site but I think Patreon might be the dawn of a new shitty age.

I'd say appearing on diversity in video games panels is what really shuttered in that new age.

Wait what the fuck ?
It's not like he's gonna include nigger dwarves that complain about the lack of fried elves anyways will he ?

He's probably become a faggot but he's not a retard, I remember reading that Toady has tenure in a university maths department. People like him don't become full time SJWs, obssessed with social justice, they just become "(((woke)))" to inequities and try to rectify them loosley.

I guess you can never trust an anglo anyways.

In the last twelve months he's earned $87,326.94.

He did add gay dwarves a while back, but I let that slide because that introduces interesting problems, I think transgender dwarves is where things will get retarded, we are talking dwarves mechanically no different to gay dwarves just to appease an ideology, I don't even care about foreign migrants because those can be of value, but I can also build death camps or an arena with them.

Because whenever someone makes a df clone they try to make it "df but less complex" so the people who like df for its complexity dont give a shit and the normalfags who can't into vidya also don't give a shit because it's still too confusing for them.

rimworld is doing well

It would be funny if women would still your ore to make themselves a golden penis.

>If your mod is good give me complete rights to it, I'll give you a virtual :^) and add it into the game

Still that's pretty horrible wages. I only have a high school diploma and make upper middle class money in my country's average. How is that the taxation in Canada?

Nailed it.

What nightmarish ghetto do you live in? Mine is $1.4k/month and I'm in a redneck part of PA.

Don't quote me on this, but I remember him making overtures that the next version will come out between now and Q2 2018.

I rent from my sister. I have my own room and don't have to pay for additional utilities.

I assume 15%, but it usually works out to about 13%.

Taxation rate in Canada is out the ass. People are taxed around 15%, depending on province (Alberta used to be best off but them electing commies at the provincial level is sure to have them equally fucked as the rest) and corporations are taxed anywhere between 10.5% and a whooping 56% depending on their revenue, the sector of activity and where they decide to do business. Those corporate taxes are showing greatly in the costs of products all over the country. That is why there is such a huge difference in costs of basic shit like food compared to the US.

That 15% is on consumption, income taxes for non-businesses are anywhere from 0 to 35%

I was paying a little over 500 a month for a two bedroom apartment in a nice college town, in a decent neighborhood, in northern MS a few years ago. It all depends on where you live.

Show interest and be a bit annoying. If you left your resume, be it physical or online, call the next day asking about the application process, if they got your resume, etc. This shows that you're serious and not just trowing resumes around. Also, highlight your ability about working in high pressure environments and knowing how to work as a team.

oh hey a dorf fort thread. I actually just finished cleaning up my race mod if you all want to check it out.

Oh hey a dorf fort thread. I actually just finished cleaning up my race mod if you all want to check it out.

I don't know how this happened

Joke's on you fags, I can only manage to save 15 bucks each month.
Please kill me.

How about a UI that isn't an absolutely atrocious piece of shit straight out of 1986?

Reported for being a serial ban evader.

god damnit D is that you

i ask because of that toady interview i can't get out of my head
are dfclones actually just colony survival management games, whereas df is something else?

This is exactly correct. The actual "game" aspect of Dwarf Fortress is merely a secondary concern. What it actually is, is a very complicated and in-depth fantasy story generator, that we just happen to be able to interact with.

It's funny (but true) that you graph complexity vs success for this type of game, it's complete upward trend.

People who want to take Dwarf Fortress and strip out shit to make it appealing and approachable don't realize that they're stripping out why people play the games.

On the subject of roguelikes Ultima Ratio Regum which is essentially Dwarf Fortress for anthropologists should have its first release involving ACTUAL GAMEPLAY soon.

What kind of gameplay?

OK now I'm interested.

Fuck if I know. Diplomacy and trade. I assume combat not as complex as dwarf fortress but still nicely complex. There is a devblog if you want to know more.

wait wait wait, didnt the dev of this said hes burned out and went on hiatus?

He is back.

Shit, he is? I'm glad he's still holding the torch, the game looks beautiful. It would be a shame to see it abandoned like that.

i just checked his update, that's great.

The lack of site modability iritates me. I just want to be able to have a race that lives an amphibious lifestyle. TOADY WHY?

It'll probably come in a few years, don't hold your breath. We are getting improved Kobold sites next update though so get hype for that. I'm planning on adding a few more races to my mod that use those types.

You can use Embark everywhere tool and build a half-submerged fortress for your amphibian race.

updates ruin games.

Ill just crosspost from the rimjobs thread

And this pretty much sums up why dorf clones suck. The only one that I played that didnt so far was Banished, because it WAS based around disaster mitigation.

Refer to image for summary of shitworld, that greedy kike has been demanding £20+ for years and there is fuck all content without mods.

well, that explains why i don't like the game. it's a pity, i wanted to like it.

unless you left tornadoes on.

I cant believe I'm a judge assistant and I earn more or less the same you guys make every year (around $28.500,00 american dorrars). Is it hard to get a job as a foreigner in Canada? Is it hard to get a permanent Visa? Might start looking into this. If I'm gonna earn the same shit I get now on my stressful job as a store clerk, then sign me the fuck up.

I just wish there was a use for peat.

It's annoying that Toady releases irrelevant shit first.
NO I DON'T WANT TAVERNS
YES I WANT A FORT THAT SURVIVES EVERYTHING BUT FPS DEATH

Why would you name your game after a sexual act?

Is that irl boatmurdered?

Why can't we combine it with DF?
Imagine looking at details of a legendary adamantine thong embodied with steel and pictures of dwarfs dancing.
Or actually visualizing a dwarf according to his description.

More like 2014 than 2016. All he's done the last two years is add adventure shit and extra crap you'll never see in fortress mode. I don't give a fuck about adventure mode, it's Dwarf Fortress not Dwarf Adventure. He has no sense of priorities and wastes years on tiny things that barely matter when much larger things are broken. The funny thing is, someone with a decent plan and 3-4 people could make a better and more in-depth fortress mode without the eye-bleeding ASCII in a pair of years if they just cut out the almost useless but extremely time consuming features he adds.

see 4th img
tl;dr- seems he never intended to make a colony survival management game
market opportunity?

please tell me more about all these races. how to change what race you play in fortress mode?

Not anymore
Now there are many "DF clones" that focus on colony survival, see Rimworld, Spacebase DF-9 and similars.

no z levels
no z levels, shit, dead and a scam

so yeah i believe you could find your niche there without much problem

But making the UI great would take a lot of time, only for the work to become obtuse in a year or two down the road. Same reason he doesn't want to make a tutorial.

Puts your "real" american money in question, doesn't it? I've talked to a few americans who think they're doing great making 6 digits a year, but they can't seem to grasp that a 6 digit salary doesn't mean if you're left with 100$ in your wallet at the end of the month.

thanks, capitalism

Man it fucking sucks that Toady just ignores Fortress mode, it's the best element of the thing by far, it gives you the framework of a narrative and how capable/invested you are determines the quality of the story told, his level of detail is exactly what's needed but overlooked by its imitators, yes it's ugly and obtuse in places and the menus are a pain in the ass but once you're rolling it can be thoroughly engrossing.

Adventure mode is just an unplayable mess in comparison, I have zero desire to git gud at it cos life is so flimsy.

I played it relatively early on and it really felt like it lacked depth. Was pretty much bored of it after one or two games. Maybe I could have made it more interesting by messing with the difficulty but even then there weren't enough mechanics to play with so it probably wouldn't have helped.

I live in a south american shithole and make 20k dollars a year.
I literally spend my time wasting the money because living is so cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I live a simple, comfortable life with few stresses. I just feel envious of others, I just can't be bothered to apply myself.

You only think that because leftists and niggers are fucking horrible at budgeting.

Man, I think I make more a year than most people here and I only work 15 hours a week.

What do you do?

Take out the trash.:^)

Explain.

whatever happened to that 'honest user' who never posted here?

Invest it instead and maybe you won't have to live in a third world shithole.

The UI could be better but c'mon, it works just fine. It's not anywhere near atrocious unless you're used to kiddy games where you just have to press E or tab for everything.

There are plenty of inconsistencies with it.

Some menus use the "primary selector" to move around, and some use the "secondary selector", while others still require the arrow keys to navigate. It's not obvious what button(s) to press until you've used the menu extensively.

It is for this reason I've never bothered with rebinding keys or making macros

I am in NE Ohio and 1.2k would get you a VERY nice two bedroom in a luxury complex. Hell, you can rent a two bed two bath house in a decent area for about 750 a month not including utilities.

I need a break from this meme hell

Like I said, it could be better, but it's perfectly sufficient. It's not without its quirks, but they all have logic behind them once you understand how the menus are laid out.

You shut your whore mouth. The only thing wrong with the default ASCII is it is not square.