TFW the FPS genre being good again lies in the hands of a few small games made by dedicated fans

So there is this and UT4. Anything else to look forward to or is that it?

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/news/343-industries-gives-legal-blessing-for-fan-made-halo-game-called-installation-01
steamcommunity.com/id/turboscout7
archive.is/IVhhd
steamcommunity.com/id/Brutux
archive.is/3UMOS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't know if fans of the subgenre will admit it, but arena shooters sped up the death of FPS.

Installation 01 which is a recreation of halo 2 MP for linux and windows built on the unity engine

im working on a FPS that's inspired by Unreal Tournament + Halo + Timepslitters

Ill give out a few keys if anyone is interested

its still pretty buggy and the weapons are messed up. but its pretty fun so far

The multiplayer grunts will never accept that fact

I know there's not much you can do but this art style enrages me tbh

What?

Something doesn't make sense here, user.

Looks pretty neat but I fear it'll end up the same as Reflex.
Reflex is really good but practically dead.
I wish we had a Reflex game night on Holla Forums some time.

If FPS never existed, it never could've died!

sorry slip of the finger, it's very halo 3.

This could be neat. We all know the CND is coming.

You have to be 18 years or older to post here

actually they seem to be ok with it
neowin.net/news/343-industries-gives-legal-blessing-for-fan-made-halo-game-called-installation-01

actually it's 343 directly and not MS, they just can't sell the game or use assets from their games directly

Well I'll be darned.

Fuck off, multiplayer focus killed almost all good offline modes
Even Doom and Quake had great solo modes before PvP got the sole treatment

Let me test it

I agree that Quake 3 was a fucking mistake and ruined FPS forever with its garbage

Well, i really wouldn't call Quake 3 a mistake but the marketing for it and the biz practices it taught were a big fat dangerous experience that many wanted to emulate

Midair looks nice and all but when's the beta? It's been in production for what, 2 years now?
I'd kill for a good modern FPS that's singleplayer

HL3

dohohohohoh I didn't like HL2.

Why are developers so fucking worthless?

Dubs of truth. HL2 was cancer and one of the most abhorrent and boring experiences ever

u wot

How did you function in school?

Tribes 1 and 2 never went anywhere, you fags merely stopped playing what was already perfect. Or you're too young to have tried them

You truly are retarded. Go read some books on the war and then come back and tell me that it would be completely unrealistic to have a slow-paced realistic game that gives you freedom of choice on how to complete missions.

Kill yourself, retard. If you read my earlier post, you would see that I love slow-paced games. Action forced down my throat in every fucking segment of the game is cancer. But a game so boring and a chore to play as HL2 is cancer too.

Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent made by the original Descent creators and is currently in Early Access, but is promising as all hell. The levels are actually handcrafted in the style of old Descent levels, and not randomly generated bullshit. The controls are as they should be, and the weapons are nicely balanced as well. There are multiple enemy types with their own unique AI behavior when it pertains to dodging, movement, and leading their shots. They also react to your flashlight as well. Features music by Descent veteran Dan Wentz too.

It also features some changes from Descent like being able to directly ram into bots to stun them when you're in a close situation, headlights and afterburners being default equipment, hostages are cryopods now, robot generators being destructible (but sometimes they are shielded by a generator you must find and destroy), each bot also has a more dangerous red Super variant, missiles are more common so you can use 'em more, and an upgrade system fueled by upgrade points you find in secrets. Secrets still work like in Descent where you have to shoot the walls with the funny textures or out-of-place lighting.

The upgrade system is something I prefer wasn't there either at all, but at least the implementation is decent. You can upgrade shit like ship speed, ram attack damage, damage reduction, energy consumption, but you can also upgrade weapons and missiles. The interesting thing is that after the first upgrade, you get to choose between two different upgrade variants for your weapon or missile, each of which changes how it behaves, so the Flak Cannon can be upgraded to work like a chargeable shotgun for example.

There are some new enemies like Shredders which charge you head-on with their saws while screaming loudly, Ogres are hitscan, but can only shoot you if they are close so they're nowhere as impossible as Class 1 Drillers, Harpies are small bots who always come in groups and fire projectiles which bounce off walls, and there's no Thiefbots.
There's also new weapons like the Flak Cannon which fires a short-range hail of explosives which destroys shit with minimal aiming required, but eats through your ammo and requires you to get close yourself. Reflex fires projectiles which bounces off walls much like the Harpies, but can also be upgraded to bounce towards enemies. The Cyclone fires a constant hail of spitfire, but isn't as useful at longer ranges and doesn't have the same shot width as Impulse. The Driller functions the same as the Gauss Rifle, albeit with a slower RoF.Your standard missile is something on par with the Mercury Missile's speed, but with the power of a Conc Missile. Enemies are a bit spongier here because your main shot isn't as powerful, but that gives you more reason to use your missiles. New additions include fast-firing Missile Pods and homing Creeper mines.

Overload might very well be a genuine attempt at old-school shooting with minimal bullshit attached. I'd look forward to it.

Everything i said before?
You need to read a book instead
Also snipers are the most railroaded cunts in video games

i recommend playing games

Explain why you think the plot is retarded aside from saying "the plot is retarded", faggot

Kill yourself

An immediately post-war open world would work. It would essentially be the gay parts of Gravity's Rainbow.

wow it'll totally not get sued or become vaporware like every single one of these projects

For what purpose? Halo 1 and 2 were bad and the series only got worse after that.

Are you retarded? Unless you're the supreme commander you are going to have someone yelling in your ear what to do throughout the whole war.

Maybe it'd be cool if you weren't a soldier but just stuck in a war torn country. A bit like FarCry 2 but with RPG elements (as in roleplaying, not as in let's put skill trees you retarded devs)

I'm still here user. People are still playing me. 9.99$ on Steam.

see
that's always a possibility, but considereing they have a pretty good looking alpha so i have my hopes

why do you hate fun?

Kill yourselves you fucking plebs

Or am i wrong? Mind you, I'm in Europe.

UT was my jam, back in the day. 1999 to be precise. i still replay it every now and then. I even still played the MP on occasion until ca. 2008 and back then it was still populated. Sadly it isn't anymore.

Not even UT2004 is populated nowadays unfortunately

Quake 3 was always better than UT, but I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand what we meant by our original posts dude

What a shame.

Q3 is a lot more complicated and fast. If that's all that matters to you, you're correct.
They're very different games in terms of what you get though. The best gamemodes in Quake are FFA and Duel while in UT obective gamemodes like KotH, CTF and especially Assault are where the meat of the game is.
The Q3 weapon roster as everything you need but the Ut one is a lot more unique and varied.

I agree that UT has better weapons, but Q3 just has better gameplay, and unique weapons can't beat that. It's a shame that Quake lacks popular gamemodes outside of DM, though.

In Europe, huh? You can find a game easily in 19:00 German time, here in Eastern European time (Finland to Poland) that's 20:00. You can even play in American servers reasonably since the netcode for the game is fucking legendary. Games start in 17:00 Eastern Europe time and end in 23:00 East Euro time, usually.

The main thing that pisses me off is that they dont have features that were commom place decades ago like gore, physics, bombastic sound, ballistics, etc.

They just feel like neutered pieces of shit. You start an old ass game that looks like shit and it feels so much better.

There is no love put into this shit anymore, its all mass production garbage.

If you like it so much, why don't you marry it?
That's what I thought.

That's good to hear actually.
Do you, or anyone else, feel like playing this evening?
I recall my biggest problem being actually finding a FFA server instead of Duel or race.

I would. My personal favorite game mode is Clan Arena and Arena Duel (duel but everyone has a set amount of health, armor and ammo for all weapons, no pickups at all and based on rounds) since I don't like pickups.

Not anymore thanks to UT4, but in 2014 you could still play both games online, at least here in Europe. I remember that I was still playing UT when UT4 got announced back then.

i like it. very simplistic

How is Ut4 anyway? Is it coming along well or will it be a shitshow?

Let's play then.

How would you like to contact? I wanna do some arena duel atm.

temp email. Either send the steam name or send me a mail from a temp mail so I can send my name.
[email protected]/* */
Did they seriously remove the option for emails in the email bar or am I just stupid? It's a drop down menu.

Fugg :DD De segrid is oud :DDDD

I don't like it. They added sprinting, not a fan of that. Last time I had played the explosion radius was huge, not a fan of that either because it basically ruins all the other weapons.

But the worst is the fact that it is free and has a in game market with forced skins.

You are retarded.

Whats with all of these underage in this thread?

Play Crysis

Looks cool. Is this the art style you're going for or are these just placeholders? Some of the textures look a bit simple is why I'm asking, but I still like it.

The only 2 games I am remotely looking forward to this year.

Take your prequel to a feminist game and shitty low-poly Unity crap elsewhere.

To this day I still have no idea why that gets everyone riled up.

Well the thing with most new arena shooters is that they either copy Quake, or UT or they try to do their own thing and end up sucking entirely.

Is Reflex a good game? Yes. Will I play it? No. I played Quake back then, I played Half Life for years (similar movement) and I am simply tired of the Quake movement system.

I wouldn't mind a updated version of UT99 and UT2K4 on the other hand, I for some reason didn't get enough of those yet.. But UT4 is just mixing elements from all UT games and adds in some new cancer.

Dusk looks pretty fun, don't know about the other one

it's shit.

Fine by me, man. Reflex is more of a CPMA clone rather than a Quake clone.

What game is that in the OP, anyway? Looks neat.

I don't think you know what you are doing. WHen you say like UT, what exactly do you mean? Because those webm's don't resemble UT at all. Also, even gameplay wise UT and Halo can't really be mixed since they are so different.

I must say, after watching that video I kind of do want to play it again. Not a big halo fan, but I did play it back then a lot. What I dislike about Halo is the slow speed and the fact that players are tanky as hell. Halo is basically what CoD is today, a party game to have fun. Not a skill based game.

meant for

Because it's really really embarrassing.

That sounds bad.
Absolutely disgusting.

It's called midair and it's been in developement for a couple of years.
It has potential but we'll see how it turns out.

Fair enough. that's why it's so good.

I'm up to seeing if its worth playing in the long run
steamcommunity.com/id/turboscout7

yeah I kind of guessed that. Anyway, my point is I mastered bhopping and air control.

Yeah they really simplified the game a lot for all the newcomers from Reddit. There is also a one key dodge now which kind of breaks the flow. But hey, at least the devs are listening to the community. The community said dodging is to hard, they made it easier. To bad the community is full of idiots.

That's the problem. Listening to the community, while sometimes good, usually is a bad idea.

Jesus fuck just end this suffering

I haven't been able to play any PC fps lately because Destiny was too superior. Can't wait for PC destiny 2.

yes but, hmmm…. People can do it right and Epic Games could have done it right too. Some game devs are on the forums since 2007. They know who is old and who is new to the game. I talked to the devs back then in UT3 days and they were also randomly joining games back then.

Really shitty to see how the game turned out now.

Also look at cs:go. Idk if you were around while that game was in the beta. But Hidden Path Entertainment was on the official forums (deleted by now) listening to old cs 1.6 fan and shaping the game up with us. I was actually the guy who suggested that people who shot teammates in spawn should automatically be kicked from the game and get instant banned and they added it into the game.

Anyway, after some point valve said the game is good enough and fired Hidden Path Entertainment and started to work on the game themselves. They since then fucked up balance and added skins. Listening to the community can definitely work, hpe did it right, and the UT devs could have done it right too if they wanted.

you are a fucking moron

They did remove sprinting recently because almost nobody knew it even existed. I'm still not playing it though until they let you completely hide the weapon viewmodel.

Personally I think UT movement is slow, sluggish and totally boring, while Quake is ever more exciting and always run. And believe me, you have not mastered bunnyhopping and air control. Bhopping and air control is easy to learn, impossible to master (which is to say, hit the skill ceiling).

Haven't seen that lovely piece of autism in a long ass time.

archive.is/IVhhd
Had some good times on those boards.

Do you have a patch note or something confirming it? I don't have it installed right now, but that sprinting feature made it into other games using UE4 too.

But that's what makes UT so special. You see, in UT you got this movement system… I like to call it the potato sack movement system. In Quake you go FAST->FAST->FAST, but in UT you have to constantly throw yourself forward. You go slow->slow->FAST. I find it very exhausting and thrilling.

Open beta by October according to their roadmap. Game's mostly fully functional.

Retard. I bet you hate Tribes.
I miss Tribes ;_;

That's games in general, user. Hell, Medieval II mods regularly outperform actual Total War releases nowadays IMHO.

End yourself, Dusk's models look like ass and it probably runs like ass too since it's a Unity game made by jews. Art direction is fucking weak too: even without the limitations of Quake's monochromatic lighting and BSP levels it still looks like everything is coated in varying shades of shit.

Why not just play TribesNext?

Never said it's bad, played it a lot back then. I am just saying that I played it so much that I am tired of it now.>>12973220
I am pretty good at it. I am getting older, my aim is shit today, but I can still dodge enemies very well even after years of not playing.

…IVAN! Make a note of that!

Dead in EU and it's netcode is less than perfect. I can hit blue discs relatively regularly on USA USA USA servers but it's still rather uncomfortable to play.

Toxikk is the best that could happen to arena FPS, but stupid people didn't appreciate it, there is no hope now.

Go fuck yourself, my dude, my buddy, my friend.

Fucking why. The artstyle isn't good but the game itself actually is.
UT1999 is superior though.

the game actually is alright.

Typical arena retards proving user right.
FPS had their roots in single play and shooting monsters, and that's always what they did best. Doom 2 was and still is, today in 2017, a better experience than Quake 3. If multiplayer didn't cannibalize such a large part of the "gameplay first" crowd, we could have had dozens of great singleplayer shooters.

Please stop trying so hard to fit in.

in what aspect

They improved art style a lot.

Project much? This whole board is full of people in their twenties who didn't play arena shooters at their heyday yet try to claim gamer cred this way.

Did they change it post release? Looks the same to me.
Also, have you seen their Deck-13? It's atrocious.

you two know nothing about ut if you call it good or say it's like ut1999.

Speaking of which, are there any games that successfully emulate the mobility, level design, and raw power of Doom's singleplayer that aren't actual Doom mods, because that's cheating?

Descent?

Is anyone here in MA beta?
If so, what's the projectile inheritance? I'm watching some of these clips and it seems easier to land midairs than in T:A or T2.

Doom had multiplayer you retard

you don't say.webm

UT3's tank crossing map was extremely fun. Normally not a big fan of warfare but that map was insanely fun. Provided you play online against people who know how to play instead of playing with bots.

Your core is safe behind that wall, you have to capture the point in the middle of the map, which lowers your bridge and allows you to drive into the enemy base, it also opens the door allowing you to attack the enemy core. It's a very tight map, you constantly have people fighting mid. You need one guy to drive the tank, you need one guy to capture and heal the middle node and then you need a third person defending it. You have to coordinate with your team and the game can turn around any second.

I think epic games themselves don't realize how insanely fun that map is.

I mean it's pretty obvious what killed FPS, but why do people even want to play shooters with a controller?

Like the original Rainbow 6 games, but moreso.

Arena shooter fags never cease to make me chuckle, you think with all this mass complaining they do about modern multiplayer shooters there would be a decent demand for a new game. But no, there has been multiple arena shooters released in the last 5 years, absolutely none of them did well and are currently on life support or completely dead in terms of player base because these "arena shooter purists" don't actually want what they demand, they just want to complain and feel superior to others. The variety of first person shooters on the PC have never been more diverse but you guys have too busy sticking your head in the sand and screaming your lungs out to notice.

This is when I realized it was bait.

Oh yeah, there are so many unfinished indie games made on a shoe string budget that are in early access to play and don't bring anything new to the table. It's totally just that Arena shooter fans don't like playing anything.
Kek, I am reporting you for being underage.

Midair sucks ass, tribes 2 is better

Midair actually have a chance of being not dead and it is better than Ascend so far and it's only in Alpha.

Nope. The reason why the tribes 2 games lasted so long, besides being great games themselves, is content creation. All successful tribes games or games like Tribes have custom gametypes, custom scripts, custom skins, maps, and mods. People will get bored with Midair after a year or so, just new maps isn't gonna cut it because the game can't perfect what's already perfected in Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 Classic.

I'm talking in terms of multiplayer shooters.
Squad
Arma
Insurgency
Day of Defeat
Rising Storm and Red Orchestra
Rainbow Six Siege
CS:GO
Reflex
Toxikk
Quake Live
UT 2017
Dirty Bomb
Lawbreakers
TF2
Team Fortress Classic
Overwatch
Paladins
Battleborne
Call of Duty
Depth
Fistful of Frags

Today's FPS multiplayer games could have more variety but at least it's a whole lot better compared to a slight variation of Call of Duty for the hundredth time we were suck with 10 years ago.

Niggerfaggot you just went full retard. There is only one capture the flag. That would be the original "Threewave" CTF for Quake and Quakeworld.

Do you even grapple?

Midair has mod support user

Prove it

Yeah, you are underage. That isn't variety when you can only name a few number of games in a genre and the genre is composed of fan projects.
FPS was far FAR more diverse 10+ years ago.

The only games you have are COD clones and Overwatch clones. All else are either dead, low budget or old.

is cancer, basically a bad version of cs:go

ut3*, no idea why I wrote cs:go.

Also all those genres (besides Moba) existed 15 years ago as well but were more popular back then and had more support.

First of all to anyone new to this, it's not a press key to move faster, it's momentum building
It's still there, but extremely low. You move like in any other ut, after a few seconds you get just slightly faster, it's so small it's not only almost unnoticeable, but completely useless so I dont know why it's in the game. Then again, 'What the hell were they thinking/Why is this even a thing' seems to be ut4's theme
So sprinting isnt even an issue, the real problem with the new ut is that dodges dont reduce your speed on landing. Movement is now completely based on spamming dodges forward like it's some sort of slower strafing. So base movement is much faster, reducing a huge chunk of the game's depth

there's a bunch of ut2k4 deathmatch servers still running right now, dont know about the original

Can you gib two keys or is it too much?
I'd play it with a friend.
steamcommunity.com/id/Brutux

?

Fuck off. Keep sucking quakes tits like the faggot you are. Quake is not the end all be all of multiplayer shooters.

It always amazed me how no one emulated tribes besides a few obscure titles like legions overdrive
It's like a perfect blend between individual skill and teamwork.

Bad hours. Usually there's ~100 players in peak European time. You posted at 5:14 in European time, and games usually start and end from 17:00 to 23:00. There's always games to play.

It really is. Quake is very individual focused. One good guy and make your victory.
While that's possible in tribes as well, the skill required is far more ridiculous and even a beginner can mess up a good player by chance. Hence, your team has to help. The turrets in particular probably help to make it a team game.
UT kind has both, depending on the gamemode. Assault is absolutely a team game but CTF can often be won by a skilled player (although the relatively slow movement speed in the game, a team ca be of great help).

The issue is that Tribes doesn't really have a place in the modern gaming scene. "The modern gaming scene" is people playing what their favorite (((JewTubers))) play and Twitchcancer meme games like PlayerUnknown's Battleground.

Reminder.
archive.is/3UMOS

Reflex and Toxikk are both doing bad right now, even old ass UT2K4 is doing better and keep in mind that there are still a shitload of people playing the non steam version. I bought my copy in a story.

I do like Reflex, but Toxikk is cancer and shouldn't have players playing it at all.

Thats a pretty good list user
They are right though, FPS needs more variety in recent releases.

Shadow Warrior 2 for example was different and enjoyable, but a mix of things that didn't work out very well.
The minimap in particular kills me and the weapon/loot system just adds unecessary bloat to the game.
Gameplay itself is fast and meaty though, feels great and theres plenty of varitety to it.
NuDoom was poorly designed from the get go and while the maps are really good, the gameplay is piss poor from the poorly done hit reg to the awful weapons.
Fucking game actually encourages you to keep your distance from enemies and to use gimmicky bullshit which in the higher difficulties just makes the game anal sewage.

Hopefully Serious Sam 4 delivers

You mean 8 years ago, theres a big difference, in 2007 we still had Battlefield competitors in the market from AAA companies.
Quake Wars and Fuel of War for example.

deliver what? It will just be another Serious Sam game. No idea how you could possibly look forward to that game.

That implies it ever comes out

A commander is only going to give you an objective, he doesn't generally care how you meet it.

I dunno, could be good if they don't go jew2win.

FUCKING KIKEWATCH

movement doesn't look like UT at all, too floaty. and the faux low poly with flat shading makes me want to brain you with a baseball bat.

Dusk looks like it could be good, and the preview was fun. their poor choice of friends in STRAFE was concerning.

Fuckoff Roland

Not saying that Serious Sam is bad, just saying that there is no point in waiting for a new SS, it's basically the same as waiting for a map pack.

A shame there's very few players.

I don't see you bringing a list of older games that were more diverse than now. Stop talking up your ass with >COD and OW clones
Insurgency is far from a press q to win and press f to pay respects trash bins.
sage for obvious bait that got my jimmies rustled.