ITT: Launch titles that still hold up

ITT: Launch titles that still hold up

Often launch titles can't hold up after a year, new hardware, new operating systems, devs aren't used to what they are working with yet and more often than not shit ages like warm milk in a damp basement.

Now and then one holds up though, what is it you think holds up to the test of tech and time?

For me Condemned does. Obviously graphics age but for the time the lighting and sound design is fantastic and the game proper about exploring condemned places full of serial killers was a hoot and still enjoyable to this day.

Take off your nostalgia goggles, fagmo. The game plays just as dated as the day it came out.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. The entire Gamecube launch lineup was incredible. I can't thing of a system that tops it.

You should go back and try other 360 launch titles like Kameo bud.

excellent taste

Das it mane.

I just did a run through of Gauntlet Dark Legacy and had a good time with it.
Not the best game ever but has the same charms it did when I originally played it.

forgot pic

The Gamecube launch lineup was one of the best, arguably the best.

Pilotwings was the earliest case of indie faggotry I've witnessed in gaming. It wasn't some 3rd party, little indie game of course: but those who liked it, went on tirades not dissimilar to the aesthetic crap that elitists always spew.

There would not be another good lovecraft style game till Bloodborne

The NES had the largest selection of games available at launch and some of them used peripherals different from the standard controller.

Super Mario Bros. needs no elaboration and the others are as simplistic as any game you could get on the Calecovision but they still have a lot of appeal as fun time wasters. I still like to pop in Clu Clu Land, Baseball, and Pinball to this day. Plus, Excitebike has a level editor and it was surely the first time a lot of people encountered one so it must have blown their minds as much as SMB's scrolling levels did. Its launch showed that it was demonstrably more advanced than its contemporaries.

Wasn't Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth supposed to be pretty good?

in the first portion of the game where you're just investigating, it's 10/10. when the game gives you guns it becomes a solid 2/10 at most. it seriously tries to morph into lovecraftian cod and totally fucking falls apart the second they put a gun in your hand

I've never had anyone mention that you get guns in it, suppose that's why.

God no. Turns into a bland shooter ending with you using a ship mounted canon on fucking dagon with jellyvision and shootan nonestop.

Plus its a nearly unplayable bug ridden mess. Its just a badly made game.

Shouldn't rule out the Dreamcast either.

Oh sweet thing.

You should never replay sanic adventure.

Best to have the memories.

It was good, not the best. SNES, PS1, and DC was better.

Too bad that wasn't a launch game homo.

Oh look, another fag that only played the GC version.

Also nice >>>/reddit/ spaces

You mean PS2 right?

It was held back due to the september the 11th attacks for some arabian levels to be readjusted but it was part of the launch lineup of games finished and planned for release. It originally started as a n64 game like animal crossing. But like MGS2 it had to be reprinted with a new build.

Sure, there was SSX, Ridge Racer 5, and…. and….

PS2 wasn't good until 2001, fact.

I don't disagree but the PS1 launch isn't blowing my mind either, especially next to the Dreamcast or Gamecube.

But it didn't make it to the launch until months later because of said removed levels. Hence, not a launch game.

Tons of games are intended to be launch titles but don't make it. See also: Body Harvest on N64 and Malice on Xbox.

If its on all the press releases as part of the launch list and is just held back for a little while due to extreme circumstances "does it still hold up" still applies. There wasn't some magical change or tech leap made when its literally a launch title whos had some content removed with no other changes from the launch build set to release at the exact same time as the rest.

It had Ridge Racer and Tekken which while not substantial games pushed the concept of arcade perfect ports. And in Japan you had Kings Field, not many systems had a fully 3D dungeon crawler RPG as a launch game

But honestly you're right. No PlayStation console had a notable launch lineup. It was all marketing until actual good games showed up a year into the system's life

No it doesn't. Read about the examples I posted.

Eternal Darkness came out
8 months
after the Cube launch. It was far from being a launch game by its release in June 2002.

Sorry, not a launch game. It didn't even come out in the same year as the Cube launched. You can stop trying to make your purple lunch box look better than it is.

Tekken wasn't a launch title, King's Field wasn't either but it was released about 2 weeks after.

My mistake, I could've sworn Tekken was released along side Ridge Racer. Forgot the Kings was 2 weeks removed from the launch day.

Fun fact: your speed in the game is tied to your framerate so if you're playing on a toaster there are parts of the game that are literally impossible.