After playing through a (Good) game, are you the same person that started it?

Mentally speaking, that is. Given how video games tend to take the same (If not more) time that it takes to read through a book, and how books are often seen as a "Life changing experience" depending on the ones that you read and the mindset that you're in, and how the same applies to immersing one's self into the game, you'd have to think that, when you finally finish the game. you'd come out of it with, at least, a slightly more attune thought on how you view life.

What games have done this for you, and how so?

Devil May Cry 4

Dante made me realize that I'm gay

Are "life changing books" just this massive ruse or what?
I don't think I've met a single person who reads that shit who's changed towards anything besides an annoying fuck.

Playing Sega Hard Girls made me research into old Sega games and I became quite a Segakike

Blood Will Tell

That's because 70% of books are (((trash))).

Depends, both of the works I embedded have been very influential on the events of the world (Though, one more so than the other).

Also to be on topic I guess Snake Eater got me into fitness and lifting. not in the homo way

I'm talking about self help and the whole "power of you" genre of books.

-S.T.A.L.K.E.R
-Deus Ex
-F.E.A.R
-Half Life
-Super Metroid
-Super Mario 64
-Dark Souls
-Symphony of the Night
-E.Y.E
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Max Payne
-Fallout 1/2/New Vegas
Anything thats unique and memorable really, feels like the you took a journey that was worth wasting your time with
Games like Mount and Blade and multiplayer focused games never left me with a sensation of wonder but they still change my train of though, usually subsconsciously
Managing camping trips and such seems much more easier now.

Welcome brother

Sadly, it still applies.

with every game i finish i hate video games more and more

Honestly the only game that made me feel that way was the The Talos Principle.

A video game can change you, but not in the same way that a book can. Where a book can open you up to new ideas and change your outlook, video games change you more in terms of brain elasticity. By that logic, I'd guess that people who play more good video games are able to adsorb more information when they read books.

But anyway, to answer the question: playing SEGA platformers as a kid made be an above-average driver as an adult because reflexes and hand-eye coordination. Also, playing Diablo 2 through high school got me a slightly better score on the SATs because one of the vocab questions had to do with scimitars.

(checked)

No game ever fucked me as hard as fight club or the matrix.
I wish one would though. I want to have my preconceptions of the world torn asunder by the long, hard philosophical journey of the main characters and feel it release its warm resolution inside me, forever impregnating me with its revelations. I want to carry the seed of its thought and give birth to a synthesis of its philosophy and mine.

I think Katawa Shoujo made me a better person.

Oh yeah, most of the WWII and Cold War history I know was from vidya and it help me to pass tests and exams about it flawlessly

Source please?

It's an edit.

So all the games you've played are shit?

Every time I consume a Panty Quest game, I feel myself becoming one with the moe, gradually shifting into the 2D plane of existence more and more. It's one of the only feelings I've got left to look forward to these days.

Deus Ex changes how you think about technology, top-down hierarchies, and how the two relate to each other.

The Void ends up being a pep talk directly to the player, a presumed NEET. The message is to put aside the story you just experienced, and make it real; that the world is a canvas, and your life is paint. And if you are a NEET, or someone who's lost his zest for life, and if you were gripped by the story, then the payoff is pretty great. You definitely see life differently after that. It's like, we're all gonna die anyway, so you have to find something to kill yourself doing, before time swallows you whole. We don't normally think of life like that. But maybe we should.

It's hard to name a lot of good games. There are just so many fucking terrible ones. You know, writers are obliged to reduce their wordcounts? They have editors for this— to minimize the amount of superfluous bullshit they put in their work! All I see in JRPGs lately is a vast desert of inane banter. Like this profusion of idle chatter between friends supposed to replace human interaction or something.

You find that, having accumulated some quantity of life experience, that most of what gaming offers fails to even approach satisfying your level-up requirement.

I guess there are things like Demons' Souls, where the sheer aesthetic of it is powerful and substantial. It doesn't have to be with words that we are moved, and in that way games have the potential to work their own kind of magic.

Persona 4 despressed me after realising i will never have friends
Deus ex made me think more about conspiracy theories
gone home and depression quest's controversies made me turned me to the right

Vicky 2 gave me a basic understanding of how countries and economies work. Why there is constant conflict and shit.

Planescape Torment has the usual things making me reflect a bit.

Finally someone understands my plight. There are good games out there, right?

Sort of, although I find my thinking halted for a while as I ponder on the game.

I feel this one is better

I imagine this image now with the illiterate remarking that the only book he needs is the Bible, the middle that reading is overrated, and the third that somewhere in the stack are his own works.

I don't know. If you're reading some of the later Stoics, like Seneca or Boethius, you're getting some brutally straightforward rational observations.

People who read often are very good at being influenced by other people.

Welcome to Freshmen philosophy! The answer to your question is that a person is in constant flux and change. Ephemeral. Impermanent. Are you the same person after completing a good game? You aren't the same person from planck second to planck second!
YOU ARE A DIFFERENT YOU THAN THE ONE THAT STARTED THIS SENTENCE
You can never step in the same river twice…

Sour grapes.

What if you're just always an older version of the same exact person?

I'm sorry you've been abused by the education system your entire life user, but it's true. Readers lack the stubbornness that non readers have.

After playing Hitman 2 the past couple days, I really think that I could get away with murder now. So no.

Only shitlib harpies get "life-changing" experiences from books, and those books are typically kike shit like Kite Runner or Hunger Games.

When I play this game like I have been since release and look at the news these days, it's really hard not to think that I'm literally living the game's narrative. It's not only empowered me with the sobering realization that everything we hold dear is pretty fragile, but that it's highly likely the vast majority of us will get to fuck off and die while select volunteers, if anyone, gets to go off into space to restart the human experiment.

Pravin Lal's quote alone is timeless wisdom, and I've always found myself quoting it in conversations with people. I can still recite tons of the lines from this game from memory too.

Other games out there have made me feel good, happy, drive me to think about how good I have it compared to others, but SMAC was the total package in that regard.

Although the downside is that I sometimes feel annoyed, etc because a game like it won't be greenlit again, if ever.

After all: Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.

I disagree, user. I believe that anyone can get inspiration for one's life, from any piece of fiction - whether book, movie or game.

I forgot to add, but the tie-in materials are also very good. The ending of the last novel in particular was pretty sobering.

What do you think you're doing right now? Stubbornness is not always a beneficial quality. For instance, it can set you back when you're objectively wrong about something. If the easily suggestible turns to books for guidance because they lack the will to guide themselves, then imagine the advantage a rigid stone like yourself would have, were you to read through those same books with that keen skepticism you are so proud of.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. opened up quite a lot for me. I would never have enjoyed the thoughtful Russian literature or soviet-era cartoons.

That shit is fiction. What about actual life changing books like the works of John Maxwell, Dale Carnegie, and Scott Adams?
The books that are designed to push us to our limit and get our brains thinking about more than just what we're having for dinner tonight and what it would take for us to succeed. At most, fictional material can get us to vaguely think about the world at large, but most of the stuff that ends up doing is just a mimic of a real life event.

I think fiction and non-fiction alike can help us think about the world at large. The key is whether the author has the means to do it right such as the ones you've mentioned.

There's a lot of schlock in both categories. It's all about sifting through it all to find the gold, like a prospector of olden times.

Fiction that attempts to world-build can be thought-provoking, as it necessarily is built upon real world parallels and frequently touches upon real issues via allegory. However, it depends on whether the author is skilled enough to adequately insert this into his writing while also retaining entertainment value, and also whether the reader is intelligent enough to parse out whatever intended bias is meant. Hitting both those requirements is fairly rare.

Sorry to be the one to break this to you user, but you got persuaded

I consume fiction, fiction doesn't consume me.

After hundreds of years of deliberation and computation, the dusty machine whirrs to life and says:

… ads via Carbon OMEGA.I FUKKIN LIKE BUTTON fuck PEPSIVAN sharpened the image to look like You mean our balls, mommy? …………. NonSexualActionFigure 10 the zeitgeist TWITTER USER a .blend file woman beater I am a fan of THE LORE an OGG which also begins to The Don DOOM Tumblr user VERSUS .. from the folder called "MOM DON'T OPEN THIS ONE" :dunk_a_bitch: I hope JAN is happy OH WOAH where he did meth Benny NetYahoo and that caused nothing compares with D2 which is also the name of the obscure Frank Zappa album called ROBOBITCH TAKING A HOT The Don BODY IMAGE HIV POSTITIVE PESPI distorts like a goldsrc game MY ASS IS EATING MY POST-MODERNIST and I gonna join you chingity chong you should try OASIS IS NOT AS GOOD AS an actual Earthbound cart CLARK, NEW JERSEY gaymes :SYMPHONY of the raped please show me your license and registration fisting DIOMESTIC VIOLENCE QUAKE 3 TEAM ARENA robotic cartoons ?! we must ensure an exsistance for which then got into a street fight ordained minister at the church of who then wrote TOP 5 pancake island :redpill_gays: Yoshi's Island gland to gland P-CAT AFRICANIZED robotic secrets windfarm SUPERSLAM gay dog sex DOOM 3 SEXY CHILDREN a PNG Mussolini only messed up one thing, and IT WAS an MP3 BIBLEMAN which then ordered that thing from McDonald's? What it called? Oh yeah! HOMOSEXUAL FUCK me IN the (as seen on KICKSTARTER!) fuck being a straight speedrunner REAL DAD ak-47 with a i am unironically.

… So sayeth the Oracle, KOOCHBOT 3000.

You could have googled sour grapes and learned what it means, but no, you chose to make yourself look like a retard. Good job.

I have nothing to learn from books, they're all meaningless words to me. I'm immune to becoming the slave of someone else's ideology.

Take your meds.

I don't know what the fuck you're trying to convey here.

The vast majority of books exist only to convince other people into believing the same shit you do. Even books that have nothing to do with philosophy or politics, seeing as how there are so many conflicting accounts in history, so many different explanations for natural phenomena, and so many different perspectives in fiction.

Goes for all pieces of media, or even human creation. Stop being so far up your ass, it's like I'm reading some redittor complaining that everyone but him is stupid.

Does it? Music to me conveys no meaning outside of being tonally pleasing noise. I'm glad that it has taken a back-seat to words and speech because it's the only thing untainted by human communication in my humble opinion.
But that's the exact opposite of what I'm trying to say. I am stupid and I'm damn glad to be stupid. Ignorance is safety, safety from the subversive poison of the academic institutes who seek to eliminate stupid and intelligent, to destroy rich and poor.

Katawa Shoujo made me man up out of depression, start working out and get a job. Still haven't found a cripplefu, though.

Aside from that, though, I can't really remember anything.

I have never seen that word used here that wasnt>>12977831
either bait or some complete retard who was trying to seem smarter than he was.

Super Metroid made me love Nintendo. AM2R made me hate them.

More like you're avoiding something you know nothing about because some authority figures have convinced you it is evil and should be avoided. How can you claim immunity to someone else's ideology when you are too weak and frightened to even let yourself know that ideology.

Nevermind. You're baiting. Good job you had me going for a bit.

It's not someone's specific ideology, but all of them. I don't want your Marx, your Rand, your Hitler or your Greeks.

I'm not baiting, I'm 100% serious. Illiteracy has saved me from becoming a faggot in the metaphorical sense and coincidentally the literal sense.

It's quite fascinating. You're so terrified of being swayed by someone else's words, that you have developed the cult-like mentality of avoiding all perceived evils that you don't understand, even though you're not even in a cult. So are a slave to your own stupidity. This stupidity that you claim so much pride in is the oppressive lord that you fear so much. It's not Marxism or philosophy or Religion that controls and owns you, it's your own overwhelming ignorance.

Yes, and I'm glad that I'm controlled by myself and not by a bunch of dead people.

But if you had self-control, you'd be capable of looking through these books without fear of total corruption. It is not self-control to be dominated by irrational fears that have no basis in reality. Frankly, it just seems like you're some dummy who doesn't like to read and who tries to convince himself that this somehow gives him a better understanding of the world around him than people he admits are smarter and more well-read than he is. Like a fat person who claims he's better off without exercise.

Why yes, I do have a better understanding of the world around me. Instead of looking in books and listening to some faggot drone on about useless shit, I actually went into the workforce and got to see the world firsthand. I won't be the one who dies in a work-related accident.

You can't say shit is useless until you know something about it. What do work-related accidents have to do with being completely ignorant? How can you have any understanding of anything when you're too confused to even articulate a point?

I do know something about books, based on my observations, which I trust more than anything else. The vast majority of fluent and prolific readers are thin-wristed, Starbucks-slurping, cock-suckling liberals.
I've experienced labour, I know what is and isn't safe while working. I'm not infected with imagination so I won't come hurtling down from a rooftop after daydreaming about some faggot book shit.

You're completely retarded.

Do you have any reason as to why you say that?

It's based on my observations. :^)