Best plot in a video game?

Best plot in a video game?

My choice has to go to this.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/t3v2UhP
mediafire.com/file/l5o6sya8f4slsnf/Rockman Zero Collection Soundtrack ~ REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO - Mythos.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not sure if MGR was too self aware or not self aware enough. It always reminded me how you can talk your way through games like Fallou and Arcanum.

Alright, liking Armstrong is one thing, but let's not pretend MGR's plot was anything more than a serviceable but silly story.

Sure it wasn't your pseudo intellectual story ala "Gone Home" or "Life is Strange".
But it had good characters, funny twists and everything to keep the attention of the player.

For me a story is only good if it entertains you from the beginning to the end.

Nah-nah-nah, you're not allowed to like fun things in there kiddo, it should have WRITING and PACING and other buzzwords to be widely approved on this board.

Vocal minority, in fact. I have seen lots of idiots or trolls shitting/baiting on game threads lately. I think some goons are just bored, user.

I think I skipped most of the cutscenes. The game was still mediocre at best, even avoiding any story.

Why would anyone do this?

What? That is not what Armstrong meant or said.
What he meant was that both him and Jack see the world as wicked and wrong for the same reasons but they have different ideas of what should be done about it.

Armstrong believed that the best way to achieve true freedom and justice is by creating anarchic free for all.
While Jack, if I remember, was unsure how to fix the world at large and stay true to his values therefore he did nothing beside helping people on individual level.

Xenogears.

You completely misunderstood the plot. The game's theme is that violence is not some moral evil in and of itself. Give war a chance and all. Hence the final boss fight's lyrics.

freedom of speech was a mistake

It's not freedom of speech that is the problem, the problem is the restriction on light to moderate beatings.

Man that section really fucks with me too.
It shouldn't be so hard.

Is there a more quoted game released in the last five years?

Witcher 3.
Dark Souls series.
Dragon's Dogma.

None of those games are known for particular lines from them, though, you dense fuck. Maybe some of the lines from the Witcher 3 DLCs, but the fucking President quoted it. And don't pretend, knowing what we do now, that that wasn't an intentional invoking of the meme.

That's just plainly untrue.

But they are though.

No. Revengeance did not invent that expression.

"Hmmmm…..wind".

But that literally was his character. He was a hypocrite

Yeah, nah. The entire Trump internet strategy (which was something that existed from day fucking 1) was to bait 4chan and its attendants into becoming the world's most obsequious shills. For fuck's sake I worked on the campaign, we made a bunch of the LOGH and vidya Trump memes.

Those aren't buzzwords you illiterate nigger.

No metal gear game has good pacing.

So Trump was quoting Armstrong?

I really don't think so.

More like the Armstrong meme's use on Holla Forums was cultivated months in advance by the Trump pre-team. He picked the slogan from a list, if you check his twitter circa 2012-2013 you'll see him focus testing a bunch of them.

OK that would make sense, but I think nanomachines, son was a more popular quote.

It was, that was the "root" meme of Armstrong. Everything else (200%, and especially the popularizing of his use of what became known asMAGA) came after.

How many eggs mr. Armstrong?

bluepill: The people of america helped make Donald Trump president
"redpill": Memes helped make Donald Trump president
REDPILL:Steven Armstrong helped make Donald Trump president

sagepill: steven armstrong only exists in the mind of the American people
If nothing else, this marks a new age of political psi ops. The huge glut of leftist media is all priming for the riots in the run up to 2018 and 2020. They think if everyone plays/watches BLM and antifa they'll have transference of sympathies with them. It's the same exact thing the Department of Defense does with military shooters.

I'M FUCKING INVINCIBLE
NANOMACHINES SON
MEMES, JACK
No there really isn't

Dark Souls has a story? What the fuck?

Pic fuckin related

It has a very minimal plot
But plenty of lore
Still, nothing special

Yes, it even has cutscenes.

meh

Lad, you don't even know the half of it.

Was actually watching that exact same LP already

Marathon, which has more convincing AI personalities out of any piece of fiction

One of the best MMO stories ever.

Read a book, cyber-nigger.

Inazuma Eleven. The whole six games + "alternate reality" game + different versions combined.

Long story short: you start off as a kid who likes to play Goalkeeper and is the nephew of Japan's first real Ace Goalkeeper/Coach who has to save his soccer club and you end up saving the world from genetically enhanced super soldiers using a time traveling bus piloted by a teddy bear. All because you (and later your disciples) really really really wants to play football.

I could give a tldr version though.

I thought you guys were dead. Get the fuck out.

Here comes hipster-kun. He will totally tell us now what exactly pacing is now, as well as supply with examples of bad AND good pacing in video games.

My parents unironically bought this game for me when I was just seven years old, and it gave me nightmares because of how bizarre and frightening it was at the time.

(check)
is there parents who buy games for their children ironically?

That sounds good, actually. Is the anime pretty cool? Would you recommend it?

The anime cemented the fujoshit-centric marketing Level 5 has had with all their game releases up until Youkai-Watch. By itself is an okayish adaptation that follows the story of the main six games, alongside a few movies. Problem is that the biggest audience were young women and fujoshis, which modified the character design a lot. See, the thing with this series was that each team had an unique theme (i.e. a team of kids from an icy mountainous region all wear or are shaped as things that would be fit in that scenario, a team of otakus would represent different autistic hobbies etc.) but ever since the third game, Level 5 decided to just create as many cuteboys as possible, ruining the initial concept but doubling down on the cuhrazee to avoid losing the male demographic.

So, no. Go play the games if you want the true experience. The britbong translation is pretty good but they add idiotic accents to everything and everyone has a britbong name instead of their original nip one.

It's not the current year anymore. It's the Modern Day. Get with the times, old man.

I don't mind fujoshit stuff too much. Outside of fujo character design, do you have any other complaints about the anime? Writing, pacing, shitty adaption from the games, etc etc?

It's easier to watch anime than play games.

LoK series… sweet jesus. The writing and vocals were fucking on POINT for that series.

Even if a game sucked, I'd push on just to learn more about the story and hear what characters had to say (such as Blood Omen 2).

I actually love fujoshit CHARACTERS, as in, characters drawn as fujoshits, but I really despise cuteboys when done too much.

Every match is two or three parters at best and the whole series is about matches. Pacing is fine but all matches go the same route:

It gets broken in just two matches (one with the roles reversed and another where the evil bad guy team is actually good bad guy team and it shows their pow) and in series finales. The show sucks and it's the reason why the series got worse as time went by.

Play the goddamn games already.

Zeus Academy did nothing wrong

Not interested in the games. I don't like soccer, and I sure as shit don't like playing soccer games. I'll take a gander at some youtube gameplay videos though to see if there's anything special enough to make me overcome that though.

The anime sounds good. Seems like most of your complaints are focused on fujo character design and repetitiveness. I don't mind the former and the latter is expected of children shows.

First and second Max Payne.

It has as much of a story as an art-collection book.

Boss fights were great in that game

It's more RPG than soccer. In fact it's more of a jrpg than a sports sim.
The show's good if you're just interested in the plot though a lot of the humor of the game is lost to it to make way for drama.

Also what the fuck - captcha? Whaaaat? Am i on cuckchan?

KOTOR2 is actually pretty weak, it's just that Kreia is a fantastic character who is infinitely more interesting than any other character in any Star Wars media.

if your game's story is experienced through cutscenes, youre a fucking polygon-tier moron

its a fucking video game you experience through gameplay and interaction if the story is all cutscenes, you may as well watch an actual movie instead of dogshit called a "story" made by developers that forgot they made video games

There was a recent spam attack on the popular boards that happened around yesterday. The verification is only temporary.

discord.gg/t3v2UhP
OFFICIAL

Good. Its plot was irredeemable shit in a franchise that had already gone way off the rails.

captcha under protest

Megaman Zero

could be autism, but god damn, no story has ever gotten me as engaged as megaman as a whole

I really like how bizzare and creepy this looks
is it worth installing?

People have been saying "make america great again" for decades you dense bastards

Not as an isolated phrase, no.

nijjer WUT

State senators, congressmen, etc. have also used it as a tagline in their own runnings or campaigning. I'm sorry user but no amount of memes will prove Trump was the first politician to use it meaningfully as a tagline.

I beg to differ, the overall story is very nice and all but there were some plot points that felt kinda retarded like Ciel being the one who created Copy X, that and some of the cast were complete jackasses like the Guardians
It's not like X plot was perfect either, after X5 it goes to hell

Final Fantasy 6, 7, and 10 are all good in the way that a young adult sci-fi/fantasy book is, with 10 being the best. Videogames shouldn't aspire to anything more "highbrow" than that or else you get Braid, Fez, Gone Homo, etc. The idea that complex plot + grey morality everywhere = gud is nothing but hipster pretension, a plot is only bad if it has obvious holes.

NO. I loved the plot of the games too and it broke my heart to read that shit. It wasn't even ironically good.

Meant to reply to

Doesn't that manga also features Ciel's evil twin and the X's idiotic offsprings combining into Copy X ?

I appreciate MMZ for stating that the Resistance was well and truly fucked if Zero hadn't come along, even if Copy X in general is retarded. The Guardians I recall primarily being jackasses because they're following Copy X's orders and they don't have the stones to stand up to him/are far too loyal to stand up to him or question his reasoning (as with Phantom). The remaining Guardians are pretty autonomous come Zero 3 when Copy X is too big a jackass for them to put up with him anymore after openly aligning with Weil.

God I hate flags being retained per-post.

I'd argue X plot is a little shaky during 4 and 5 though, mostly due to inafune zero fuckery
See, this is where you lose me. Trust me, I've had alot of time to reflect on zero's story, and these points don't really make sense to me.
I can kinda see the ciel thing, but if she's a genetically engineered scientific genius who through some serious reasearch (up late nights, as evidenced by the bags under her eyes in 3) made an entirely new power source, I was fully willing to believe she could do something relatively simple, like making a copy of X (which is what all reploids are essentially).

The guardians point I understand even less. Leviathan/fefnir, yes. They were, as you say, jackasses. But regardless of their personalities, they were more or less just doing their job. Their job being to guard and follow X's whims, which they all do quite well, especially phantom, who dies for x. However, they even pull their shit together when omega strikes, helping zero out sadly, dying in the process

Harpuia is another story entirely, as he is presented as regretful in his actions (although he enjoys the thrill of fighting zero), he is bound to the will of copy x against his better judgement, because of his sense of honor and duty to the humans. When weil shows just how little he cares and lets human lives be put into danger, he rebels.

sorry for the wall of text, like I said, I love this shit

That manga didn't start off too bad either. I started getting worried when there was no mention of X whatsoever. It all went to hell when it got to neo arcadia. At least retarded drunk zero makes for some good reaction images.

Nobody is arguing that you dunce. Read the fucking thread.

Sticking point there is that she could replicate X physically but a lot of his core systems were still well beyond her grasp and she couldn't possibly replicate X's experiences and morals, and he's got the triple-element switch to his weaponry because Ciel couldn't replicate the Variable Weapons System (or didn't know about it if she could). Ultimately you get a reploid that looks and sounds like X but the internals are all wrong, and that's not getting into how retarded thrusting a body-double that's essentially an infant into the most powerful seat on the planet is.

Zero series in general tickles my autism because of how much is never actually stated in the games themselves. It makes sense for an amnesiac Zero to not know what the hell's going on or what does what and why, but then you get stuff like Ciel being a bio-engineered genius that never comes up and really doesn't add anything.

Point taken, MMZ's narrative did gave that feel that Zero was everyone's last hope and that he was carrying that weight alongside the fact that he didn't remember shit of his previous life

Can't blame you, I also love the living hell out of MMZ even with all the little things I nitpick like Zero's design, the helmet and boots are good, but just wearing a thong and a T-shit feels stupid, even the main artist for the series redesigned his original look for Omega using his first body

She may not be light or wily, for that matter but I believe the variable weapons thing is an ingame feature rather than a part of the canon, at least in copy x's case. Either that, or she simply gave him a couple modes. Much easier than recreating the variable weapon system.
I like Copy X as a villain, he was given free will and a basic outline of what X was about, but without all the years of morality testing, leading him to believe that despite being a copy, he was in fact better than X. He made a decision that was arguably good for humanity, as there was already a massive energy crisis. It's alot of "prime directive" type stuff going on when it comes to the zero villains. For example, alot of the weil numbers were actually somewhat noble, but they were led by a maniac. Even though he's a villain, his argument for being a hero isn't entirely untrue. Thrusting him into the seat of power was dumb, but I think of it as simply naivete. The people rallied behind X and believed him to be the perfect leader, so ciel tried her best to preserve the leader they loved so dearly.

This much, I cannot argue. While there isn't ever truly enough room in a game for the full depth of lore, a big chunk of zero's behind the scenes characterization and motives lie in stuff like radio dramas. While I love the living daylights out of those, (especially alouette's good day), it's kinda important.

I wasn't a fan at first, but then I became aware of the evolution of the robots/reploids throughout the series. In megaman, they had no free will, but could still think and act. X had full free will to think and act, and so did reploids, but they sometimes couldn't handle the advanced systems X had and went maverick. Zero's artsyle change presents an interesting concept; the fusing of reploids with humans. Reploids in zero are very very close to human, with some being relatively easily distinguishable, but most looking very human. For example, the story of old andrew, the reploid who married a human, and when she got old, had himself changed to be older too. This carries on further into ZX, where humans can fuse with biometals and become reploids, and reploids are so human they have to be distinguished with red triangles on their foreheads. Legends and the carbons is more or less the final evolution in a long road of robot-human relations.

Mega Man acknowledging the whole weapon-copy thing has always been pretty slippery but typically it's a completely miraculous ability, was when Light and Wily first dreamed it up together, and still is even by the point of ZX (nevermind Legends where weapon copying isn't a thing at all). But a sticking point for where it remains in-canon is brought up when Cerveau mentions that Zero's body has its own copy-function and that it's still a miraculous thing in and of itself, but probably Zero's Learning System, mimicking enemy skills and capabilities as sword techniques, was a hell of a lot easier to replicate in his reploid body than flat-out replicating the whole move. 'Specially when all Zero ever really rocks is rising-uppercut, lunging-stab, sword-wave, dashing-slash. Otherwise, Zero's body is every bit of a mystery to the scientific community as X's body is (and apparently even his copy body is pretty primo as far as reploids go), and all Weil really accomplished with his various modifications to Zero's original body was turning off a few limiters and dumping another brain into it.

Ayy, that song is pretty cool, but isn't MMZ2 a GBA game? How the hell does that song sound so crisp?

I thought the idea with omega zero was that it was just the "pure" zero, with no modifications (or limits). The "omega" portion of zero was the brain, as well as they (noticeably weaker) armor/body built around it.
The deal with how good zero's body is hasn't really been explained either. Could be due to the power of his "soul" as it were, but I'm not sure a straight answer has been given.

remix/cover, my friend. The only way to really rectify the GBA's musical issues.

gonna dip for 5-7 hours, but feel free to continue the convo. I hate it when mmz discussionsdie early

Fuck that uploader, then. Know what remix/cover it is, or if its been featured on some sort of album?

REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Mythos, that's the name of the album

100% sure that's from the "mythos" album

Pretty sure there's another one called telos that covered more songs, but some of their renditions, like their version of cannonball, are a bit meh.

No, Omega is what you get after Weil performs some tweaks on Zero's original body to remove a few (or all) limiters and dumps Omega's brain into it. The huge body is pretty much just a shell for the Zero underneath it, even reflected by Omega's design being intended to mirror Zero's through the huge helmet-tassel, pauldrons and his own saber.

Zero's copy body is fucking weird and it's directly stated to have its own Learning System as well in Zero 2, which is roughly as effective as even Wily's Learning System and would imply the ancestor of Ciel's vaguely mentioned to have been on the science-team for researching Zero's body to try and find a Maverick Virus cure was a Light/Wily tier engineer. I chalk it up as Inafune not deciding Zero's body was a copy until later in the series' development, probably when Weil and Omega were conceived themselves; nothing implies Zero's body is a copy until Zero 3.

Here's a question, most reploids run on energy crystals as a power source, which is causing a crisis.
But, in MMX we can see the specs of X and see that he's run by a micro-fusion generator, if Zero runs comparable systems, does that mean those two run on a totally different system? Just an odd bit of autism on my part I wanted to ask

If I'm remembering right X is stated to run on solar power and micro-fusion fuel is for night-time or subterranean activity. Probably Reploids run on whatever is necessary for the plot

I had an uncle who bought me one of the DOA beach volleyball games as a joke. It was bargain bin priced but still factory sealed
And I think my dad did a similar thing with Pocket Bike Racer

So yes, in the sense that they weren't "sincere" purchases

Re: the actual topic, I wouldn't call it the qualitative BEST, but BoF3's story is really comfy on the surface, but has a lot of real fucked up shit just underneath that. It also has a really strong start that makes replays really easy to start (while other parts of the game, unfortunately, make it hard to finish). It's definitely one of my favourites

The best story is one you make yourself because there will never be a more meaningful plotline than one you are making.

Bullshit, nothing you invent will ever be more meaningful than the Schism or the Mongol invasions.

doesn't Vanquish have hillary clinton as the president, where she's in bed with a russian terrorist?
she ends up killing herself at the end

Examples?

Amen brother.
Learning that the gay ass soccer master Aphrodi, with luscious blonde hair, effeminate moves and a female VA was actually a South Korean national was the most hilarious shit this game could show me after Kabeyama finding a hentai doujin in the school yard courtesy of the manga club and jerkin' to forget about his fears.

Did you fucking miss all of E3 and how every game stars angry negresses?

I'm probably biased since it's one of my favourite games, but I think Warcraft 3 had a great story.

MP1 had a great plot.
The hints of occult and the overall atmosphere made it absolutely fantastic.

I barely remember it from all those years ago, but I recall liking it.
Same with the Xenosaga trilogy.

Xenogears is a neat sci-fi game with biblical references. Xenosaga is straight up New Testament fan fiction and is amazing.

I am aware.
Too bad I was something like 16 and couldn't really follow through the plots in their entirety the first time.
Especially since I did not know English very well back then, so a lot of things went over my head.

I think I'd be able to better appreciate those games if I did read my holy books.

I also remember Xenosaga 2 having a total ass of a combat system that made me just drop the thing halfway through and read about it in the encyclopaedia of the third.
But maybe I just had a short attention span.

No you are correct, XS2 is a mechanical mess, with shitty combat and horrid loading times. The storyline is actually the strongest of the three when considered on its own (in that it tells an entire story, the URTV arc in full without interruption or LOST style "wait for the sequel" mysteries)

I prefer cutscenes over unskippable cutscenes tbh.

Half-Life 2 for example is unskippable cutscenes.

Pls no bully

KAIN IS DEIFIED, THE CLANS TELL TALES OF HIM, FEW KNOW THE TRUTH. HE WAS MORTAL ONCE, AS WE WERE ALL.

I wish the IP just died during the ps1 era.

Why?
Saga is all right. It's not some life-changing experience, but it's a good game with a nice story that is like a fine wrapping paper.
Although the music did get me into opera wholeheartedly, so I guess it did affect my life in a way.

I didn't say it's better, just that it's amazing in the sense of astonishing.

Yep, that's what I did. The cutting mechanic is in no way easy enough to use to cut apart the shit he throws at you.

Tbf, this 'totally anti-establishment movement (that just happens to be funded by the government and corporate kikes like Soros) which is gonna end the tyranny of old white men' trope has been ubiquitous for as long as the kikes have had complete control of the west.

It was the single most used archetype in the show, with every major game showcasing it. We have hit peak nigger.

The niggers have only ever been a vehicle for malevolent jewish envy. Niggers are low functioning jews: jews are high functioning niggers. Thus, the kike directs the inherent envy of the nigger against the source of the jew's own envy (which it shares with the nigger): ie. white men.

Except for those made for the switch: which is significant inasmuch as nintendo so clearly 'won' the show.

don't remember a single quote from wticher 3 besides "fucking degenerates" (and thats from 2) and the mc calling the guy a cuckold

Besides Praise the sun theres no meme quotes from DaS
Dragon's Dogma? not even one. fuck off.

While I don't agree with the entirety of the sentiment, they do share many key features, matrilinearity amongst them.

This scene is way better fam.

What don't you agree with, lad? Legitimately curious, not just being a dick.

I've never played this game (played a demo of the first one), but I watched all of the cutscenes once, purely because the writing and voice acting was so good. Intelligent without being overly pretentious. Wish more games were like this tbh.

Wolves hunt in packs.

I recently played the entire series, and the gameplay was never all that good, with Soul Reaver 1 and 2 actually encouraging you to avoid combat. Defiance had the best combat, but the camera was god-awful. I will get a lot of hate for this, but I think it's better to just watch the cutscenes from all the games on jewtube, than to actually play the games.

It does seem like it has an exceptional lore. The writing comes off as being what normalfag games like skyrim wish they were.

Pacing is usually entirely down to the player unless shit is on rails.

Fucking kill yourself, you are the mulch-cancer in which turdblossoms like ME:A grow. If a game has any weight to it it needs solid writing or else it falls flat on it's face and we all laugh,

There is no notable dialogue in Dragon's Dogma at all.

Grigori's scenes are top-tier, but that's about it.

Literally only you remember that.

Well to be fair, the LoK series isn't exactly known for its gameplay, the only thing it had unique to it was shifting between realms.

I liked BoF3 a lot, but what irked me was that Kombinat was never explored more fully. Why did the sailor guy obtain the free will to escape? What did he do before he escaped? Why do the humans in Kombinat lack free will? Going across the ocean was easily the most interesting part of the setting (they did an amazing setup for it with Junktown), and it's so short compared to the rest of the game. I've never played any other BoF game, so if it's explained there, then please tell me (but don't spoil it).

Also,

He says it during the third game when you go into that gang boss's place who liked to kill whores. I forget his name. Something Jr.

In the end it's the antithesis to the whole "Story in a game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important." quote by Carmack.

Maybe Grim Fandango. It's like playing a really good animated movie. I'll take that over shit that tries to be deep and meaningful, but ultimately falls flat on it's face.

Found a link for you, gay community members:
mediafire.com/file/l5o6sya8f4slsnf/Rockman Zero Collection Soundtrack ~ REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO - Mythos.rar

I think he might actually be autistic to think something so stupid tbh. Games are actually a great vehicle for story telling, when done well. It's just most games don't do it well.

I would consider it to be the exception that proves the rule in this case, since there was incredibly strong quality control during the development of the series. There wasn't a single LoK game that didn't have a different attempt cancelled before it, even Blood Omen was actually as a result of the ideas from a previously cancelled game, which resulted in like ten different cancelled LoK games in total before it got to Defiance.

yall have shit taste

Shame on all of you.

Pics related
AC3 looks mad cool and AC7 is the only real thing i have any "hype" for

That story is fucking shit though. It's not even a "you learn more on successive playthrough", literally Suda51 started writing random pseudopolitical bullshit and Grasshopper Manufacturers had to follow his autistic decisions. It is fucking incredible what they managed to do with such limited hardware and how little textures the game has to save memory.

I don't like reducing things to equivalencies. Blacks and Jews work together and synergize but they are not the same beast.

How are you not banned?

You are saying it's not at least fun as a result of both Armstrong and its silliness?

As far as I'm aware there's no official explanation. There isnt even anything in the artbook

And yeah, the desert was a bit goofy, and one of the things I was referring to with the "hard to finish" comment.

I always wonder if the rushed or undercooked portions of games I play just had a fuckton of cut content, or if it's just a matter of poor planning/pacing.

As far as the other games go, 1 and 2 only really offer background on certain specific things, like what the Brood were like, the whole Deis/Bleu Myria/Tyr thing, and allow you to wonder what the fuck Bunyan is. BoF1 is also where the tapestry in the BoF3 title screen comes from

I'm currently playing through 4, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't neatly tie into the overall storyline of 1-3. It's pretty neat though

It wasn't that they don't have free will, it's that they've been babied by Myria and the tech she keeps spewing out and are thus spoiled lazy children with no ambition or personality.