So, I just made my first videogame (I have made shit before but never finished a game)

So, I just made my first videogame (I have made shit before but never finished a game).

I made all by myself, so that explains some of the stuff being shit.

But pls rate it anyway.

ca3games.itch.io/spatial-invaders

Other urls found in this thread:

bfxr.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But user, its just space invaders. Why you copied someone else product instead of being original?

Because he's learning how to use what appears to be game maker?

I'm not clicking a fucking link to something made by Holla Forums. It's probably israeli dolphin spyware.

I'm just learning bro.

will try to make something with c++ next time.

I'm a bit confused as to why you have the bar at the bottom as a time meter if the enemies are just going to come at the bottom like Space Invaders anyway. Overall, hopefully it was a useful experience that you can bring to an original game of your own design.

I made it to/through level 5. It's okay I guess. Try Unreal Engine 4. It has C++ and these blueprint things.

yeah, I'll try to keep improving, learning both art and music.

maybe in two years from now, I'll make my own cave story clone.

Your processor is backdoored anyway, it doesn't matter if you have GENTOOOOOO

your bottom right corner face of the pilot reminds me of UN Squadron

Didn't you have any better ideas for a videogame?

I hope you mean metaphorically, as in it will be a game that you made solely by yourself.

sure, that's the goal.
make games by myself.

what's wrong with cloning games to learn?

You don't learn by cloning games, you learn by understanding games, learning why they work the way they do, and being able to understand it to a degree where you can expand or reiterate on the concept. You think all those game developers for the Commodore 64 learned anything from cloning arcade games for the umpteenth time?

actually you learn by making them.

just like you don't learn music by understanding music, but actually playing it and composing it.

or like any other skill.

I did one of those tutorial, do what i do, video series and made a game. In the end I didn't learn a thing. Copying really doesn't get you anywhere. You can copy spanish all you want but you have to learn the meanings, conjugations, accents, and most of all how to get from point A to B by yourself. I'm not going to say no one can do nothing just based on observation, but learn it yourself and build something for you.

It gives off the souls experience vibe

There's a big difference between copying some code from a tutorial, and copying a game idea and implementing it in your own way. Where's your proof that this particular instance is just user following a tutorial?

Nah, you learn by copying. Everyone gets started ripping something off.

t. nodev

(1)/10, got me to reply.

He's not wrong.
That doesn't mean your career should only consist of ripping other people's shit off. But when you're an amateur there's no harm done.

Drink a gallon of bleach

Survived till 10th level

totalasscancer please go and stay go

Except with the game in OP it's clear he doesn't understand what made Space Invaders at least engaging, and not understanding what makes a game work is the first step to a career of shitty games.
Just look at this shit:

0/10, No black characters and no story or cinematic cutscenes, get your shit together if you want to get far as an indie gamedev, OP.
Seriously though, you should at least introduce some new gameplay mechanics or abilities if you're going to copy Space Invaders, this version even takes out the UFOs and Shields.

It's fucking trash.
The music is a stock loop that gets heavy on the ears after a couple of minutes.
The sound effects are just as shit.
The UI is unpleasant to look at.
I wanted to carefully disect this game and tell you exactly why it's trash, but that seems like a waste of time so I'm gonna skip to the advice.

Don't shit out things out of a desire to finish.
If it doesn't feel just right, keep going.
Laziness will only hinder the quality of your projects.
Perfectionism is where it's at.
I would invest some time into learning to make music, it gives games much more personality.
Also learn to draw, or at least to make passable pixelshit portraits of your characters.
Instead of using unity store assets try this for your sound effects.
bfxr.net/
Keep learning to code.
And ask yourself what makes you, personally, have fun, because I don't believe for a second you find this wonky shit fun, more than a bit of very tedious practice.
Don't think of this one as a waste of time, it's experience after all.
You are a human, and as such you are capable of learning, get better, I believe in you.

How do you think you learned how to:
>any social behaviour you might know who am I kidding, we're on a cantonese pictureboard
And especially that last one is relevant to this thread; you first learn the basics of cooking by following examples and adhering to rules, and then you start iterating and making your own shit.

Well you clearly never played invaders either.

user you dumbass. If you made the character a cute loli killing evils lolis, Holla Forums would eat that shit up.

You FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR!

Yeah OP why do you think danmaku shooter as shitty as 2hu is so popular? Moe characters, that's literally the whole reason.

You learn the technical aspects involved behind making games, sure. But even in the process of copying and cloning there is some basic shit you need to understand and a basic amount of research you have to do if you want to make a decent clone. And yet several basic elements from Space Invaders are still missing from your clone. Simply copying things from a surface-level won't do you much good in the long run. There's a technical aspect and creative aspect to any art form. The techniques can be taught, but making actually good shit can not be taught. It's why most people and even masters of their craft tell you things like writing, game design, and filmmaking classes are a waste of your money. There's a fundamental difference between an esteemed novelist and a fanfic writer on Tumblr: one tries to communicate his ideas to the reader, the other writes whatever she thinks is cool.

If you want to understand a video game, you only have to do one thing: git gud. Get a 1cc. Go for the high score. Get all the S-ranks. Be the ace in every match. If you want to be the best, you must thoroughly understand the game. Skilled game designers understand why some things are the way they are and can build upon them, and can understand the impact of the most miniscule design decisions. Game design is pure logic and about the communication of information to the player. Try to encourage them to git gud and give them the opportunity to git gud.

OP Confirmed for not knowing his audience.

there's 0 stocks assets, m8.
I did it all by myself.

I guess I could make a touhou later.

I wasn't concerned with 1:1 clone m8.

You missed the point of that post almost as badly as you missed the point of a game.

some stuff were beyond my current skills, like trying to make the shields, dunno how to make them from a 3D mesh.

most people never see my older shit so they assume I haven't improved.

Wait, I fucking remember this shit, that looks very close to that one example in DarkBasic.

I'm a prodigy.

You needed lessons for using your hands? What, you required a special course to learn how to wipe your ass?

tbh smh fam

4+3 years in specialized schools. And you learn the foundations but you don't repeat shit to minuscule detail. It's also an extremely bad comparison seeing as my product is expected to remain consistent - no one wants eggs milanese half-rationed with watermelon, wasabe and grape koolaid sauce. Entertainment, though? Shit needs to be new and fresh by definition to be/remain interesting.

Shameful.