Is the Dualshock button set up the most well thought out design on a controller?

Is the Dualshock button set up the most well thought out design on a controller?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Controller
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But triangle is always menu.
square is almost always an attack button
x is never an okay sign in west or east
o is always the correct answer.

Unless you're playing MGS.
When they changed that in 4 I knew something was about to go wrong.

X is the jump button, square is melee, O is shoot. Triangle varies between menu (when start isn't menu), some kind of move/weapon swap, or some large power with a cooldown.

I fucking lol'd

I don't understand this pink text

It works best with Asia releases since they never did that retarded button swap with X and O. Who's idea was that?

Designer said:

Sony west disagreed. Because western Sony employees are known for their sound choices in business practices to this day.

>

Fuck them for that, it should have remained swapped for the west.

Link to interview?

kys weeb

I always found the nintendo controllers the most intuitive to use. Nintendo definitely put a lot of thought into their controllers.

Dualshock a shit.
360 controller better for pc games, that's all that matter.

That D pad shames you and several generations of your family.

xbone controller > 360 controller

Is it just me, or isn't it purple?

You are having a stroke, call a medical practitioner.

Who cares, i don't play street fighter or anything which the D pad is that important.

It depends on what you're playing. If you ignore 3D games, there are better controllers. On the other hand, if you need the analog thumbsticks, it's one of your best choices.

I like it for more modern games (and Robotron 2084). For all 2D games I tend to prefer a stick (because d-pads are pretty much always shit, and many games are better on a stick anyway), or even an older pad with a better d-pad. In fact, d-pads just might be inherently shit. It has been so long that a d-pad hasn't made me uncomfortable that I am starting to think that.

The PS controller isn't ideal for older games. However, it is a versatile design that at least works for everything. I don't like the d-pad very much, though, as I generally don't, but it is better than the GameCube and 360 d-pads for sure, and those are its main competitors. The GameCube has the worst d-pad ever made.

The Sony buttons make sense, except for the ridiculous western swap of the circle and X buttons.

As far as older controllers go, I like Sega's ABC/XYZ.

Not that different. I used a 360 controller on my PC for a few years, but it died a few months ago and now I use the controller that I got with my PS3. It barely makes a difference. They are both good designs.

The 360 controller is bigger and heavier, though, and I like that (but the Dreamcast controller feels more massive). The d-pad is worse than Sony's, though. Good d-pads are very rare.

I like it, but I think I might prefer the position of the left analog on Sony's controllers.

I thought the buttons were shapes instead of letters because chongstation is popular in places that don't use Latin based alphabets.

Dualshock 1-3 always felt like shit in my hands and I could never get used to them. I guess it's because I'm not a 5'5" Asian manlet with tiny hands or something. Dualshock 4 is usable but Xbone controller is way better.

It's fucking sad that the only part the OP got right was the last three words.
IT JUST WORKS
It works so well that it was being done before Dualshock was a thing.

I think this is what OP meant.

The sticks of the eggbone controller are way too sensitive and the triggers are fucking trash.

The A and B buttons are too far from Y and X.

That actually bothers me. Try to press three of them very quickly or at the same time and it will bother you. Well, pads are terrible for that anyway.

How is the SNES d-pad, though?
I used it before, but it was way too long ago, and I have been using emulators since then. Didn't bother me back then, but the PS1 d-pad didn't bother me either, and now it does.

It seems like my thumbs are more sensitive than they used to be. I used to be able to charge, jump and dash at the same time in Mega Man X, and shit like that, but now that just kills my thumb, so I play even that with my stick. Holding the d-pad in one direction or doing complex moves is also kinda painful after a few minutes. Maybe I just got too used to more comfortable controls. Sticks probably didn't help either.

I'm glad someone fucking said it

You mean X and A are too far from the other two, right?
SNES d-pad is solid, much more solid than some of the controllers that followed it.

I've got about 10 SNES controllers and most of them are broken in different ways. I didn't damage them, they are just pieces of shit. The rubber underneath wears out way too fast and it gets real annoying how quick the L and R buttons fuck up. I hate the SNES controller.

shit, this was meant for

I've played my SNES damn near every single day since I got it back in 1993 and I have yet to replace a controller. If you've replaced your controllers THAT many times then I'm inclined to think you're too rough on them.

I have tons of controllers from other systems that I've used for decades and the SNES controller is the only controller that has fucked up on me.

Where did you get the replacements from? 3rd-party controllers were hit or miss on quality.

Did someone say best controller :^)

Look at this sexy shit

I really don't get it.

That is fucking stupid and if true would be shoehorning a specific desired control scheme on all games.

The shapes/letters/numbers on a controller don't really matter as long as you can properly differentiate them.

The Switch Joy Cons kind of fuck this up. When I am trying to convey this button press to a friend or something, what the fuck am I supposed to say? Every time I try, it ends up being something like this:

< Isn't this R?
< Oh, you mean I have to press "A"?

I know there's not an easy solution, but when you convey these button presses with a goddamn diagram of the buttons, it means you can't verbally communicate the same in any real way.

underage confirmed.

Using pink text in a sensible way seems to be rocket science to a couple anons.

By "if true", I obviously mean "if it was intentionally designed that way instead of them just using random shapes", you idiot. I'd need to see actual confirmation that they were intending the buttons to mean those things to believe that was the intention.

You're a poor casual, it's understandable you wouldn't notice it's shit.

I actually like the spring-floating d-pad, since it feels like the neo-geo stick thing, although it's completely useless for games where you need 100% precise input. Still, it's a fucking terrible controller that nobody should ever buy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Controller

So it is true, and therefore retarded.

The triggers or the pads? because the bone's triggers are some of the best out there, no squeak and sensitive enough to feel the analog system

i have one of those.
it's shit.

Let's just analyze your argument.

The controller's design was intended to simply act as a guide for developers- not to restrict them. At no point were developers held back by the buttons' design. In fact, your lack of knowledge on this subject proves that it is completely inconsequential to both the player and the developer as to what the symbols on the buttons represent.
Yes, I can agree with you there. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with some amount of forethought in the design of a controller. Sony was trying to get as many developers, publishers, and players interested in their console as possible, so ease of design could have been a factor which could beat Nintendo (although we know today that the buttons themselves mattered very little).
I'll actually agree with you there, just because different game genres require different controls. There will never be an all encompassing control scheme.
Here's the actual problem I have with you: you did not know one of the most basic aspects of the playstation's design nor did you bother to fucking check if OP was just bullshitting you. You are either underage or retarded. GTFO

NO
At least, it is better than Xbox fucking up the layout.

Actually the Dpad is what makes the Logitech great, but its made of cheap plastic.

Also another problem with most $30 range controllers is that the internal magnetic rubbers that are below all buttons will wear out in a year or so. Altough $30 per year for a great Dpad is Ok for me, however i switched from logitech to rock candys a year ago and was very pleased with their Dpads as well

I have used the Xbone design for heavy gaming (4+ hours everyday) and it is very ergonomic, and i mostly use the dpad instead of the left stick since i love fighting games.

The original Xbox and the 360 however feel very clunky. There must be a new shape design in the last one that made them not feel like holding a huge rock

My lack of knowledge was because I never owned a PlayStation and I assumed OP was just retarded based on his weird self-contradicting descriptions of X and O. I have no reason to have that knowledge.

i don't know why but i burst out laughing when i read this comment and still am. thanks user, and for what it's worth i agree

ISHYGDDT

No you retard
You even described why yourself
That intended use was never used outside of early PS1 RPGs

The English is fine. The part that is not fine is the "the most well thought out design" right next to "X and O literally switch functionality depending on where you are". That doesn't sound well thought-out. He literally says that it's well thought-out and then points out places where the design is lacking.

And X never checks a correct answer in the west. I don't know where the fuck anybody got that from.

And how exactly do you cross your boxes then?

X in the west could also mean x marks the spot. Especially for treasure maps in the pirate days.

Boxes are supposed to filled :3

I meant switching the letters around. I already had to deal with PS not consistently using O or X as the confirm button. When playing Peace Walker in the MGS HD collection, the game used X to confirm and my PS3 uses O to confirm; so when I save or input a name, the switches to using O when navigating the menu in the game was using X to confirm.

nip controller for nips whomst've put their thumbs on the leftmost button by default

it's good in the cultural context of the Japanese market but yaint nips and most people I've seen put thumb on X button by default

what the actual fuck are you talking about

Circle = One Line = Button One
Cross = Two Lines = Button Two
Triangle = Three Lines = Button Three
Square = Four Lines = Button Four

It's the same layout as the Nintendo controller. Meanwhile the Xbox uses the SEGA layout.

early Xbox was a Sega dev liferaft so that shit just makes sense

And the Playstation was originally a Nintendo add-on.

Use pink text to differentiate certain things in a set of green text.
One example is

it also allows for replies to >implications or quotations so you can austistically go through someone's post point-by-point in outline form

this formatting has been around for years on kc and yli

You don't cross a box to mark it "correct" or "incorrect". You can X or O something as a selection, but that's entirely different.

And yet they still put the shitty irrelevant d-pad in a more prominent place than the necessary for 3D movement left analogue stick.

I really wonder how Americans voted before they had those fancy voting machines they use now The X and O swapping in the west is still retarded

do you just keep making it ?