or
The 3D Marios

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Ivan_Ilyich
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The best 2d mario is smb3
The best 3d mario is 64

The non-Mario games.

There is only one Mario game that Nintendo remakes over and over again.

2D Sonic or any game that isn't Mario > every Mario game

Fuck off Kiketendo data miner.

Wario was here.

Mario is a queer.

It's not in either camp's best interest to group together by number of dimensions.
Think about it, for 2D the greats of SMB1,3 and World have to share a house with Mario is Missing, SMB2, and Mario vs Donkey Kong.
3D's greats of SM64, Galaxy 1, and 3D Land are stuck in the same group holding Luigi's mansion, Sunshine, and the upcoming Mario and Rabbids game.

2.5d mario

Extremely bad taste

this is objectively false

Except Luigi's Mansion never sold itself as a classic Mario title (and it's actually decent for what it is), and Sunshine is actually good. I have no idea why everyone has such a hate boner for it: it was like playing a Mario 64 / Banjo-Kazooie mashup, and it was great.

Best 2D Mario;
Mario World is the most memorable I think, but people will care to disagree, 3 was also good
Best 3D Mario
64 was certainly more memorable, but I might actually have to go with Mario Galaxy on whatever was objectively the best. I would pick 3D World, but the only thing keeping me back is that it might as well be a 2D Mario game and it wouldn't make a difference. At least with Mario 64 and Galaxy there is some of that 3D space being taken advantage of

You might want to give us a reason to take some random e-celeb seriously. Why the fuck do people put so much weight on the opinions of random nobodies from the internet? Hating Sunshine has borderlined become a meme at this point

What kind of reason other than listening and using your own judgment to know if something is true or not?

MatthewMatosis is the best video game reviewer on the internet desu, his analysis of video games and their pros and cons are second to none. He justifies every point with video evidense and an explanation, and gives a near objective view of its gameplay mechanics.
He's not even negative about Sunshine, he gives it a lot of praise where it deserves but also its shortcomings, same with every game he covers.
He provided the best critique of Bioshock Infinite on the internet as well.

Fucking kill yourself.

2D, because SMB3 is the best Mario game and it is 2D, therefore 2D games are superior.

Apples are better. They keep doctors away and do not require peeling before eating.

3D if we pretend the Galaxy games never happened.

The best fruits are grapes

Agreed. But grapes weren't an option.
In that case, the best Mario game is Doom.

What was wrong with Sunshine?

B8 tbh.
The 3d Mario games are fantastic, but the 2d ones are inferior to Sonic in basically every way. The 2d Sonic games are some of the best games ever made.

Mario Sunshine's great. Playing the galaxy games for the first time recently, I immediately noticed how much less agile mario is (no more simple up/down/jump to do a flip - no more spinny high jump - and obviously no more nozzel shit). Also, you can't really control the camera. Plus every world just feels like a mini game in galaxy. The game feels less comfy than sunshine and has less of an identity.

t. someone who knows sonic games from internet memes.

Is that a pc version or something? Why is the jump sound so weird? Sounds even worse than the CD one.

Anyway, the idea that the old sonic games are defined by 'holding right to win' is completely absurd. The levels are designed in such a way as to make the player work to keep momentum ie. the exact opposite is true. If you want 'hold a direction to win' games, then the newer (and much, MUCH shitter) sonic games are the ones you're after. If anything, the original Sonic placed too many obstacles in front of you, and slowed you down too much. Sonic 3 and Knuckles perfected this, and is, as a result, the best 2d platformer ever made, and one of the best games ever made.

2D marios were at least challenging (the first ones)

Anything post SMW is shit without any sense of difficulty

They are both shit

It's Gens with bad sound. You can hear it in this video too.

1d

SMW is good for being casual.
SMB3 is good for a challenge.
Yoshis Island is also very good.

The 3D ones are generally quite fun to play

It literally was designed as an entry level platformer

Until you start getting to half a presses

The games where mario funny scream

SPW is my favorite 2d Mario game. Simply because I played it a lot with my parents back then. My mother HATED video games back then and still does to be honest, but she had a lot of fun in with SMW. That game and Donkey Kong Country have a special place in my heart because of that

What the fuck? Where are you cretins coming from?

SMW2 is so much more casual than SMW its not even funny. theyre both great

Small Penis World?

ayyyy, that fucking sucks.

64, Sunshine and Galaxy were the only real 3D Marios, so there's not really much to discuss.

How old are you if Super Paper Mario was the one you are most nostalgic about?
Though I really do believe Super Paper Mario is extremely under rated.

Clown vs jester who wins?

wrong thread

What happened? Got a source?

Maybe because he is the best videogame reviewer. I can't think of a better one.

Alright faggots, let me break this down for you

This was pretty much the first good modern 2D platformer. While there were certainly other similar games that came out before and around it, I'm pretty sure the best was fucking Pac Land. Does anyone like Pac Land? SMB shows that Miyamoto and the rest of his team understood what the fuck they were doing. While it had a few levels literally recycled with more obstacles (or if what Miyamoto said is any indication, harder levels with some elements taken out and put earlier) the game still has a lot of original levels and a pretty good difficulty curve. SMB was supposed to be the ultimate cartridge game before they started working on games for the Famicom Disc System such as Zelda, and I think they accomplished that goal. All in all, SMB is good and really only pales in comparison to games which stand on its shoulders.
This is basically a rom hack of the original SMB and it's everything good and bad about that concept. It pretty much expects you to have beaten SMB and the difficulty curve reflects that.
When the fags at NoA decided that a rom hack wasn't a good sequel, they needed to bring a game over. Thankfully Miyamoto had made another platformer in the meantime, Dream Factory: Heart Pounding Panic, which was basically an ad for a TV block on TVTokyo or some shit I dunno. NoJ needed the rights to the game, NoA needed a new Mario game, and thus SMB2US was born. It's alright, but barely comparable to your average 2D Mario.
This game is pretty much entirely set-pieces and gimmicks. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that while there's sometimes a consistent theme between levels, sometimes you get really shitty ones like the oasis one in World 2. Also of note is that this is pretty much the only real 2D Mario without a checkpoint system at all, if I recall correctly. I like SMB3, but it's mostly a matter of taste.
After years of experience, the team finally had how to make a platformer, and to a different extent a video game, down to nearly a science. Whether actively or subconsciously they understood what makes a good level and a good challenge. While they somewhat dumbed down the physics this let them make more challenging jumps. It's also the first game to feature challenging optional levels, if I recall correctly. I never played it on the SNES and when I did play it I wasn't impressed, but it's certainly good.
Wasn't made by the main Mario team and it shows. Kinda shit.
Less shit than SML2, I liked it at least. It's pretty clear that they were better off making Wario games, but I'm glad SML2 exists.
Once again this is basically official Nintendo rom hacks, but with the gimmick and set-piece ideas from SMB3 and new objects from other Mario games added to the mix. I really recommend finding the patched rom, since Nintendo officially released it on the Wii U eShop. Definitely a good bit of fun for any Mario fan.
It's clearly made by a team who only made casual games up until that point. It's probably the closest there's been to a bad Mario game, it's mostly boring and derivative.
Slightly better, and how co-op was implemented was amusing.
Who OK'd the main gimmick of this? Why? For what purpose? This game still baffles me.
This is where the team finally learned how to make a good 2D Mario game. It's a real shame because no one gives a shit about the NSMB series anymore and no one owns a Wii U. It might not reach the heights of most of the non-NSMB games, but it's pretty good.
This is actually good and if you have a hacked Wii U or a computer that doesn't chug with CEMU then give it a shot
Completely unplayable in the original game, someone made a rom hack with most of the levels and maybe elements I think, give that a try if you need more 2D Mario in your life.

The game is fucking superb to move around in, Miyamoto was right to get that to work in the first place. Most of the levels are alright, although a lot of them devolve into the same high central point design. Bowser levels are interesting. Why did anyone think that if you control a game in 3D space that the camera shouldn't be controlled similarly? Was the N64 controller just retarded? The game was pretty good despite the questionable decision with the camera and it's certainly not unplayable.
Would have been better if they finished it and didn't decide to pad the ever loving fuck out of it. FLUDD was slightly questionable as it made the game huge because jumps needed to be huge because you could hover. Basically, good ideas, needed better level design. And that's why people want Sunshine 2 you fags.

I think I will pick 3D because most of the 2D Marios are pretty much the same game, after the SNES. Also, while I do enjoy the NES Marios, I am more of a Castlevania guy.

My favorite 2D Mario is the American Mario 2. My favorite 3D Mario is Sunshine. Galaxy is awesome, but I like everything about Sunshine.

Maybe Galaxy would be my favorite if I could play it with the GC controller, but probably not.
After the GameCube, Nintendo just hasn't appealed to me very much. I only own a Wii for the backwards compatibility (piracy on the GC must be considerably less convenient as well, if it has even been done).

The GameCube is quite possibly my favorite Nintendo console, and I consider it to basically be their last real console (that was actually made to play games, and not in order to just sell a gimmicky toy), and essentially their Dreamcast. Other than that, it's the NES, followed by the SNES (mostly for RPGs).

Honestly, F-Zero GX on its own would already make the GC one of their best consoles.

Other than that, I am done with Nintendo. I despise everything that they do, and their games never seem to catch my interest all that much nowadays. I have moved on.

there are more good 2d merry-os than 3d ones

outside of that they are so different i don't really find them comparable

now do sonic 2, which takes hold right to win to the next level

A couple, though I'm hesitant to say they count:

Great idea, beautiful proof-of-concept for the Wii U's gimmicky controller, sub-par execution. Your enjoyment is guaranteed to be hit or miss depending on level tastes, but suffice to say if you enjoy shitty, random bullshit in your levels then buckle up because that's almost always what you're getting when playing the 'campaign' mode instead of well thought out, well designed, challenging, or fun levels.

Let's take the base engine for NSMBU, strip out nearly everything that made Mario 1 famous (even the Fire Flowers), add in even fewer levels than the original, add in forced always-online (because that will surely stop piracy on a fucking mobile phone, especially with Android involved), and have players pay $10 so they can be drawn towards the real 2D Mario games. Granted, I'm not as familiar with how level design is here because I refuse to buy this game when I can't even play it on the road half the time due to the aforementioned always-online, but you get the gist of it.

Sage for double post but
Meant to say base gameplay and visuals for NSMBU, since I remembered that the game was developed in fucking Unity.

Do we lump the "New Super Mario Bros." in with the regular 2D series? If so, the 3D Marios would automatically win due to not being associated with such crap. Other than that, I think that Mario 1 and 2 are good, 3 is overrated, and Mario World is the best. Mario Land 2 is also good due to it's uniqueness.

64 is still the best 3D Mario, Sunshine is okay, Galaxy 1 and 2 are cancer, and 3D Land and World are underrated. My prediction is that Mario Odyssey will still be lumped in with Galaxy/3D World and still won't match up to 64.

3d

Seedless grapes are for mongoloids. That shit will turn frogs gay.

THA FAAKK DID YUH SAY ABAAT MUH FAVORITE GAEM?! *Heart-attack noises*

This "man" ditched his only grandmother's funeral to play smb3 in his car, and he still doesn't understand why his family hates him

Source on that?

It's in his book, he fucking brags about it show how dedicated he is to smb3.

2D = 3D > nu3D > NSMB

For the purposes of this, Galaxy is between 3D and nu3D.

You can post pdfs again? I haven't been able to for the past few weeks.

Well look at that. I wonder what happened.

Would any kind soul be willing to link me to a copy of a patched Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 rom with all the e-reader levels? Having a bit of trouble finding it.

Nevermind, found it 10 seconds later, fuck me.

Both had more bad games than good, but 3D Mario is better just because 2D Mario had more bad games.

For every bad game like Galaxy, you had Mario 3, Lost Levels, and NSMB2.

don't know if interested, dafuq is this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Ivan_Ilyich

You talking about the GBA one or the DS ones? Because the GBA one is fucking god tier.

Super Mario World is best 2D Mario. SMB3-fags are just nostalgia biased.

Best 3D is 64

you know, they came out just 2 years apart, right?
SMB3 has better gimmicks between worlds and more than one powerup that you actually want (compared to SMW's feather+yoshi combo. May as well have just started you with it)

I know they all have shit taste, but it's possible for more than one person to have shit taste (even . Mario 64 doesn't hold up in the long run)

The best 2D Mario is Advance 4 due to the sheer amount of items it has