What are some games you thought were going to be fucking garbage, but turned out to be pretty damn decent...

What are some games you thought were going to be fucking garbage, but turned out to be pretty damn decent? I though Phantasy Star online was going to be shitty catering stupidity for shallow cunts, but it's surprisingly addictive.

Overwatch

nice bait

I agree with him.

I thought Metal Gear Rising was going to be trash when I first heard about it.

I thought it was going to be another dime a dozen shitty indie pixelshit. It strengths and weaknesses are the reverse of how these games normally are.
The story is trash the voice acting is annoying.
The artstyle is actually very cute and the gameplay is incredibly punishing, but totally fair.

I thought the new Prey game would be garbage. I pirated it after someone said it was a bit like old fps games. I wound up liking it enough that I actually bought it to try to support the design direction. Not perfect, obviously, but way better than I was expecting, and way better than most games like it in recent years.

Enemy types are fairly limited, some areas are a bit samey, and there isn't much weapon variety, but it gets everything it absolutely needed to right.

It's a pretty good game. It wouldn't have been hated here so much if Bethesda didn't kill Prey 2 and slap the trademark on some random project.

Wish it had some more stuff.

New Vegas
I though it would just be Fallout 3 with a new coat of paint and some OG lore pandering for long term fans.
Instead the game was pretty well designed and added tons of content to that overrated fucking shoot and loot garbage that was Oblivion with Guns.

Its really enjoyable even with the long streches of empty land, quest bugs and confusing level design in some areas.
Its unpolished potencial with much of it well executed and with better lore, of which I was only exposed to on that game.

I remember being attacked out of nowhere by supposed allies, only later remembering that I was disguised as an opposing faction, its the little details man.

I was giving that some thought actually. I was a big fan of the original Prey. Native American protag was a bias for me, I'm part Native
But to be honest, Prey 2 basically wasn't going to be anything like the original anyway, and other than possibly being in the same universe we didn't have much to go on for it. So it didn't make sense having the Prey title either, so what's the difference? Yeah, they killed a good idea, but it was already basically cannibalizing a brand name, so it doesn't really make a difference if it gets cannibalized again.
I wish that Prey 2 got made, but that isn't Prey17's fault.

Mad Max

why is claudia black being attacked by a murloc

Total War Attila

Marlow Briggs. Over the top cheesy as fuck God of War clone that was far far better than I expected. Best $1 I've ever spent. It's a real shame we will never get a sequel.

Castlevania lords of shadow, the sequel can go fuck itself though. Obviously its a shit castlevania game and I suspect they actually just slapped the name on some game in development they werent sure was going to sell as a new IP.

The game caused me to finally look into the movies and watched them all.

I want more Mad Max movies and games.

The game caused me to finally look into the movies and watched them all.

I want more Mad Max movies and games.

Lichdom: Battlemage for me.

Fuck off, Rami

STALKER.

Silverstring Media touched this. It's cancer.

It gets better the more you play it
Until you realize that you will never again experience SoC's gripping atmosphere and entry into the franchise for the very first time ever again.

You're a big guy.