FPS are ruined by trying to become MOBAs

What is next? Are we going to get MOBA dating sims? MOBA platformers?

Platformers actually take skill so yes this seems like a good idea

When people praose Overwatchs map design they are actually praising your mobility options and platforming abilities without even realizing it!

MOBA platformer already happened with Awesomenauts.

You need to play more superior industry games!

You may need to sit down for this one, slowpoke.

How is a camera angle a genre?

It's more like a sub genre.
For example, you can't say FPS' are the same as TPS', but they're both shooters.

You already lost.

I remember when it used to be called ASSFAGGOTS.

I learned about this genre as ASSFAGGOTS first.

This already exists

Then you're underage?

Imploring moba ruined dow.

No, I just learned about this genre as ASSFAGGOTS first.

MOBA is the new RPG mechanics.
Just like how every game today has experience and leveling up, all games will become more MOBA like.

Thanks for reminding me of that shit. Instead of me becoming better as a player my character instead has bigger numbers when his weapon contacts something

Cod ruined fps games years ago. Overwatch maybe a casual as fuck game but at least it's fun.

Just a reminder that it was first popular as dota. Then came lol, and riot games coined the term moba to remove dota as a competitor term. And then came assfaggots. Riot games also coined the term toxic, which so many fools use today.
Overall MOBA is a marketing term coming from a souless gook company and should be threated as such.

Maybe then we can have proper pure rpg playing games.

Probably not.

It's not like video game rpg's were ever pure to begin with.

It also means absolutely nothing.

Honestly, I remember dota was a Warcraft 3 custom map back when I was playing brood war. Never paid much attention to WC3 because I wasn't a big fan of the fantasy genre.

Games like KOTC or ToEE attempted to be as pure as possible.

I hate to break it to you…

Is it anything like awesomenauts?

And I liked the art style too

More cancer from the first beta I played. Theres another one coming up in two days.

It would be a great game if it was just PVP and no MOBA bullshit because it doesn't make sense in the first place

MOBA platformer already exists, it's called Awesomenauts.
Also, literally the only thing Overwatch took from Overwatch is the name ultimate. In every other way it's much more similar to existing FPS. Even the way that ultimates work in Overwatch is closer to CoD's killstreaks or Titanfall's Titan calling than what an ultimate is in a MOBA.

If you want an example of a bad FPS that is actually a MOBA, just post Battleborn

yes

lol robocuck

Medal of Honor had a bigger influence for awhile, it wasn't until the late 2000's that CoD took over. Nobody ever seems to blame MoH despite how much it popularized the WW2 shooter genre that lead to CoD and Battlefield getting big.

Delete this.

Never.

Excuse my ignorance but how is Overwatch even a MOBA-like or whatever?
It lacks lanes, it lacks Jungle, it lacks AI, it lacks Bases, upgrades and leveling. So why MOBA?

Did you save this screencap from the Berenstein Universe?

i think i was there for this thread and the dude was posting his own youtube videos, talking about competitive overwatch and was sperging out evaxephon-style at anyone who said anything negative about it

It got characters! With skills!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with either Overwatch or Dota-like games.

BEING GOOD AT SOMETHING DOESN'T ENTITLE YOU TO BEING GOOD AT SOMETHING SHITLORD

Overwatch is unfairly biased AGAINST people with skill, if anything. God damn do I hate the way they designed the game, especially with "exciting" forced 99% fights all the fucking time

This is literally the very same argument that I saw people use to defend the bunch of dumbassery that is dow3, almost to the letter, I don't know if this is bait but I'll bite:

The list isn't long but it's not a matter quantity of details but rather the way they conjoin to create a gameplay structure that is eerily similar to that of a moba, only now presented from an FPS perspective and combined with TF2's gameplay modes. It might not feature laned maps, a jungle, creeps, and an item store, but it's certainly aiming to feel like a moba through its core gameplay ideas.

Currently there is a big disparity between Pharahand her alleged counters, she can spam missiles all around and get away with it, meanwhile her counters need to actually get some aim and sustained damage to take her down, not to mention she can play off range and has no falloff, hitscan damage tickles her unless is a sniper, and then she can either ignore and harass the rest of her enemy team or sneak up and 2 shot her "counter" pick.

Remind me again how did ASSFAGGOTS got so popular and what game made ASSFAGGOTS popular in the first place?

Played exactly like pvp mmos.

It used to be Pharah was borderline unplayable because Soldiers and McCrees just popped her out of the sky the second she jumped, then both of those two got nerfed, either way is pretty shit but I'd say the current way is preferable since at least it takes more skill to hit rockets than hitscan shots and flying around is more fun to do and uses more of the map than just walking along behind barriers with the rest of the team.

My cousin has been playing this daily on his PS4 since he got it on release. I ask him why he likes it and he says because the debs constantly update. I said thats cool and asked what kind of stuff they update. My cousin I shit you not just shows me a fucking extra outfit for a character and breakable things in the environment like FUCKING CUPS!

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO GAMERS? WHY ARE FPS NOW DRESS UP GAMES?!?!?!?!

But now more than half the roster can't properly deal with her, a balanced environment doesn't just account for the high ranks, she has no hard counter now.

But PvP in MMOs is complete trash.

For someone who plays overwatch you sure act like you dont know anything about it, blizzkike

If a new World War doesnt start soon we are all fucked

TF2 Soldier takes more skill than Pharah, of course, he doesn't have nearly infinite air time, on the other hand he has to combo his rockets and those have falloff.

But user propaganda IS the new world war!

MOBAs trying to be Dark Souls.

I would say Widowmaker hard counters her, but then Widow is a hard counter to basically everyone except tanks so its not really a useful statement. I also think hard counters of the type where the counter being present just means the character is completely unusable is shitty game design. Part of what makes Pharah so good now is that the optimal strategy is just a bunch of slow land locked characters sticking together in a deathball and that's a problem with how the maps and objectives and lots of the other characters are designed. If the game had more characters like Genji, Tracer or Sombra who are constantly moving around and off on their own rather than Reinhardts and Orissas and shit that all move slow as shit and stacked on top of each other, or if maps rewarded flanking characters like them instead of having loads of shitty chokepoints forcing people to stack up, then Pharah would naturally be less of a problem and the game would be more enjoyable as well.
I don't think the game will ever move in that direction though since deathballs are easy for casuals to understand and execute and simple maps with chokepoints make sure the retards don't get lost.

thing is overwatch plays nothing like a moba, its more like tf2 with powers.

Riot with massivley infalted player numbers and tourney money, making everyone believe that the can become a millionaire by playing lol?

The new map is an improvement on the horrible mess that is 2 point capture, for once, it doesn't have a lone chokepoint to stack barriers on.

Truth is neither game is awful, but also neither game is good.
The more you play the more you get tired of them, when people end up playing 1000 hours of these games of course they're gonna be fed up and they're gonna hate the game.

People get hooked at the start because there's so much to do and so much to see, and it's actually fun, then the fun stops and they don't realise it.

I hadn't played dota in a very very long time, a few friends invited me to play it with them with my old account and it was awful. Nobody was having fun, even the other team that was winning was shitting all over the chat and complaining about their teammates.

Once it was done I made a new account and played a few games on low level, and goddamn this shit is just fun. It's great co-op with random people online.

MOBAs are exclusively ruined by the competitive scene, I cannot fucking wait until the craze finally goes away and Dota goes back to being just a fun ass game in public matches, where people that actually want a team of perfectionists can go play ranked.

Fighting games are next. It comes full circle.

Anime will save us. Calling it now, Japan will refuse to kowtow to (((international pressure))) when it hosts the Olympics in three years. The clear superiority of Japanese art and culture will be in the spotlight, and all the (((western culture and entertainment))) will be shown as a pale, whored-out imitation of true auteurship.

They already tried that with Rising Thunder and the result was… Apparently better than expected. They gave special moves cooldown. I never played it myself but feedback of the game wasn't too negative. People just got used to the cooldown attached to special moves.

Too bad Riot bought out the makers and now it's been cancelled. What could have been.

Weeaboos are a disease

wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

What genres do you think would drive the MOBA cancer away? Stealth games?

I'm curious about Dota 2. From what little I've played of it I'm starting to think that the problem is not with the game, but the people playing the game.

If survival horror can somehow absorb it anything can.

The type of people a game attracts is based on the game itself, but yeah one of the big issues with dota and the genre as an extension tends to be the players. Dota asks a lot of each individual player with having to constantly juggle a bunch of activities like harassing, ganking and last hitting, each with a lot of tricks and intricacies, so it attracts people who are into micromanagement. Then it also asks them to work with their teammates who they have no control over so you naturally get a lot of angry autists.

the next evolution of MOBA's is a MOBA MOBA.

You realize the current meta is dive comp, winston+tracer/genji, and the only counter to dive is dive harder.

DVa is Pharah's counter. She eats enough rockets to render Pharah into nothing but free ult charge for your healers, and can chase her down out of the air if she ever gets low.

Well I guess the people I see are just shit then since all I ever see people playing is the old 2 tank 2 healer + soldier/pharah + whatever deathball and the only people playing Tracer or Genji are the mainers who have 90 hours on them and 20 on the next closest. I don't play all that much though so that may be part of it. I still think there's not enough good mobility in the game and too many characters who get either one shitty repositioning tool or nothing at all.

Does anyone know if DoW 3 sold well or not? Goddamn I hope it didn't.

Please go back to Riot Games's marketing staff, OP. Nobody here uses that term to describe Aeon of Strife clones.

GEE I WONDER WHAT ASSFAGGOTS STANDS FOR?

In b4 "B-but I didn't say ASSFAGGOTS, I said MOBA!"

MOBA is a fucking retarded term made up by Riot Games. It's a shit retard genre name because it cover 90% of the fucking online video game market. Games where you battle online in an arena with other people? OMG WHY IS UNREAL TOURNAMENT A MOBA. WHY IS QUAKE A MOBA? WHY IS TEAM FORTRESS A MOBA? It's like fucking "Action/Adventure", a genre used when people couldn't think of any particular genre a game fit into so they tarred it with the same brush you could tar most of the video games ever made with.

But I guess you fucking faggots with your scorched earth policy of "all games made past 2010 are shit and we'll find any fucking reason to believe such even if we look like massive retarded cunts while doing so". Because you can just say everything is a fucking "MOBA" and say that's the reason the game is shit because all "MOBAs" are fucking terrible by default.

You want to know what an FPS trying to be an ASSFAGGOTS is like then go download fucking Battleborn and give that a play. See all the fun of having to stop doing your shoot bangs to look at an upgrade tree. Watch with amazement as your skills barely do any fucking damage because it's balanced like an actual ASSFAGGOTS which makes it feel like you're beating each other with pool noodles early game and you struggle to kill creeps before they kill you. That's as close to an FPS "MOBA" as you will get.

Overwatch is a fucking objective based FPS. It has no hallmarks of an ASSFAGGOTS apart from each unit being a unique class with skills but that's fucking retarded. Team Fortress 2 also had 9 unique classes all with their own skill set and everyone fucking loved that game until it turned into an autistic hat collecting simulator. What else did TF2 have? Oh yeah! Capture points, payload and capture the flag! LIKE FUCKING OVERWATCH! Or do we now all retroactively hate vanilla TF2 because IT WAS SECRETLY THE FIRST FPS MOBA AND WE HAVE TO HATE IT NOW WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I also like how fucking Overwatch is what killed FPS. It's not like there's a new CoD and Battlefield every other day. It's not like there's always new fucking FPS games being announced. It's not like there is new Unreal and Quake projects going on right now. Or hundreds of ARMA groups if you want to play some PTSD simulator. OH WAIT NO, THERE'S SOMETIMES AI CONTROLLED COMPONENTS OF BLUFOR/OPFOR IN ARMA WHICH ACT INDEPENDENTLY OF YOUR COMMAND. L-LIKE CREEPS IN DOTA! OMG GUYS, BREAKING NEWS! ARMA IS NOW A FUCKING MOBA TOO! Naw fuck it, the whole field of FPS is dead because Overwatch exists.

I swear some of you fucking people are like that on fucker in primary school who would walk around and do nothing but bitch and moan about the toys and shit other kids were playing with because you thought they were shit and never actually do anything on your own. Find some games you like and play them, you don't have to virtue signal about how amazing and great your personal taste in fucking video games is about constantly by telling people who actually enjoy playing video games that they're the cancer killing video games.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only retard on this fucking board that actually plays video games instead of just bitches about them all day.

I've seen stupider posts on Holla Forums
It doesn't even surprise me

MOBA souls man
Pretty obvious

This tbh. Fextra started with a dark souls wiki and then expanded to anything remotely similar/popular.

I think you've discovered a potential weeb goldmine.

Hmm, where have I seen this dilemma before…

Oh yeah, the game Blizzard shamelessly stole the most from.

It has fewer players than Relic's other games than are pretty old.

Goes both ways. The difference is Walker has a favorite.