Fun with failed startup technology

During the 3DTV craze, there was a company named TriOviz who tried to perfect anaglyph technology so people could watch 3D content on bog standard 2D LCD televisions with good color and minimal eyestrain. The company is dead and their glasses are floating around for less than $5 on Amazon and elsewhere.

I bought them on a lark and WOW, they actually work extremely well. I've used NVidia 3D Vision shutter glasses and honestly these are very nearly as good of an experience on just a plain LCD screen. The "proprietary software" TriOviz used to generate content is very similar to a public domain algorithm called the Dubois algorithm. Some 3D software like Depth3D implements it, so you can get the whole intended effect.

If you are bored and want to experience 3D for $5, you will need:
1. TriOviz glasses.
2. TriDef or Depth3D ( github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D )+ReShade.
3. Set the application to Green/Magenta (Dubois if available) and Swap Eyes because the TriOviz glasses are actually Magenta/Green
4. Set the separation low enough that ghosting doesn't happen. You actually only need a tiny bit of separation for a great depth effect.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_3D#Inficolor_3D
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/commit/fe6527fe6c1fb2f2c3dfcafd4cf615be77a63435
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

has there ever been a less successful gimmick

You really come here to sell glasses? And you know that this technology is old as fuck? Movies with sound is more modern than this.
Here, some nintendo game that is older than you that uses this technology.

Wrong. It's true older games used anaglyph, but it's a shitty technology with a lot of drawbacks. InfiColor tried to mitigate those drawbacks and in my opinion, they largely succeeded, which is what makes the glasses interesting to use.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_3D#Inficolor_3D

Oh god. You ARE come here to sell shitty glasses.

The company's fucking dead. I really don't give a shit either way.
I know about these glasses because the Depth3D developer implemented them by request, because they are some of the best anaglyph glasses you can buy.
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/commit/fe6527fe6c1fb2f2c3dfcafd4cf615be77a63435

Nvidia 3D Vision costs $130. These are less than $5 and give a similar effect.

From Nintendo? God yes.

Beh, as I have the power of cross-dominance (a blessing in shooting firearms), these never work for me for more than a few seconds. I keep prioritizing the input of one eye over the other, back and forth, almost never 50/50.

My problem with anaglyph 3d is how much it fucks with the colors. I use it with tridef, once in a while. Simply because it's free and fun. But I always end up going back to playing in 2d because I miss seeing things in full natural colors.

That's exactly the problem these glasses tried to solve. And they pretty much did, IMHO. Green/Magenta is the anaglyph pair that gives the best color (along with Blue/Amber) and the TriOviz optimized the filters even further. The Dubois algorithm also enhances color, so you put the two together and it's almost as good as shutter except for ghosting. But really, the depth is so good even with minor separation that I don't mind.
I have 3 monitors for surround and use the glasses for anaglyph as well, and the net effect is pretty great.

I'm not falling for your schemes Mr.Marketer.

Almost is not good enough for something as elemental as color perception. At least not for me. I'd still give it a try, if I had not ordered a Razer HDK2 yesterday, to properly sort out my stereoscopic needs once and for all.

Eh, I realize my position is beyond defense and anything I say will sound like shilling, so I will probably abandon the thread after this post.

Yeah, fair enough. I've been trying to cheap out with a DIY Rift and other stuff for a while now, and I was shocked when these anaglyphs are the best solution I found.
Head tracking gives me nausea, so I prefer surround gaming instead, and three 3D monitors was not happening–so surround + good anaglyph ended up being the best bet for me.

You should try a pair of polarized projectors. It's a bit expensive, and a bitch to setup, but it has all the advantages of anaglyph 3d and still offers full colors.

What the fuck is this thread

Looks like a mini portable bbq grill with a controller attached to it from that angle.

Thanks, doc.

nice try kike you wont fool me

Do what I do fellow glasses wearer.
Wear the 3D glasses over your regular ones and look like a dumbass, it works but feels awkward as fuck.

Grow a pair and wear contacts. Your eyes will thank you.

I think my eyes might be just wrong or something, that doesn't work and gets all wonky.
Same thing with the 3DS.

I'm not crosseyed btw

You have any idea how weird you look wearing contacts after wearing glasses for 18 years?

Thanks doc

You have any idea how much better contacts work than glasses? Remember peripheral site? Trust me it's not underrated. Besides, glasses don't morph your face when you grow up. You're just being a self conscious faggot.

I tried, they honestly hurt my eyes, and the idea of having to put them on every morning is really annoying.
Guess I've just got shit eyes and shit luck user

To be fair, someone could have bought their stock of glasses for cheap and started shilling them to make a quick buck.

Wew user. You've been on /*pol/ too long if you think everyone is a shill.

I'm missing vision in one eye. I was always jealous of people being able to see 3D anaglyph, but after the first few years of hype when it resurfaced in the 2000s, everyone said it was shit, so I felt a bit better.
I still want to know, though.
Just gotta become a Jew and live forever until bionic eyes are made.

I just wear dailies for a week at a time. Unless you're a retard and prone to doing things that will damage/dislodge the contacts, it's fine.

Should of sold it on Reddit. THey love a good gimmick like this.
Should of also bundled it with a shit movie like Spy Kids 3 to really goy them.

I don't think that's a good idea user, even after keeping mine for like 12 hours they felt absolutely unusable.

around 2010-2011 when 3D tvs were at their peak, my friend got one and was stoked about it. he invited me over to play some PS3 games and it was neat for a bit. We were playing Wipeout HD, which can make people sick in 2D, and after like 20 minutes I was hating the 3D shit but didn't want to say anything. I look at my friend and he's rubbing his eyes and says he needs to go get some aspirin.

We never used the 3D glasses again.

I'm sure glasses hurt your eyes for a while to. Trust me they become seamless, you just have to stick with it for more than a week or two. And taking them off and on takes me less than 20 seconds. Trust me, I can do it drunk off my ass. It's only slightly harder than taking off your glasses. The people who tell you to refill the containers with solution every day and shit are overdoing it. I only refill mine once a week or so.

How long ago was this? My dailies lasted for days funnily enough. Contacts have come a long way in the past 10 years.

Haven't done it in a while, but I did wear them like that for years.
Nowadays I just buy the longlife ones that last 28 days or so as I can get them for the same price.

Your friend is a good goy. I bet the aspirin was even brand name.

I've been trying every few years for the past 6 years Mr. Hitler

Funny thing is that they used to work fine when I was a kid, something happened and I couldn't wear them anymore.

You are not missing anything, 3d movies is a meme and i'm glad it's finally dying.

I'm sure its just nerves. Or your solution is crap, one of the two. I've never met a person who was just incapable for some reason.

What the fuck no they wont, the best part of wearing contacts is taking them out at home and giving your eyes a rest

You've cracked the case! You're a genius!

Wear them more often. This only happens if you forget to take them out after you sleep or you've been wearing them for way to fucking long. The visual improvement is infinitely better though.