ITT: games that lack competition

ITT: games that lack competition

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/v/res/12837171.html
gog.com/game/descent_underground
moddb.com/games/gothic-ii-the-night-of-the-raven/mods#modsbrowse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why hasn't more people tried something like this and did a good job at it?

I'm looking for games that try to imitate the game's gameplay and atmosphere, not just plain stealth games.

I've yet to find a game that comes even remotely close to the lore, characterization, etc this game has. The first Deus Ex is the only one I can really think of.

That HK mission in Terminator Future Shock played exactly like Descent, even though the games came out at the same year. Quite weird.

Shits fucked

There should be a Sims-like game with open world action RPG and Minecraft sandbox elements. It'll be the greatest game ever made.

Just a few series with no real competition. Then again this could be some monkey paw territory so fuck.

It would be interesting to see a Sims style AI that would sort of naturally clump into factions and you'd have to actually make use of things like reputation and charisma.

I just want a first person game where I can explore a cool world and the survival elements are just as much of an RPG as the rest of the character building and the dungeons are all storied and play different.
But I guess I should just kill myself instead.

All of their franchises need more direct competition. We get amazing games when developers decide to clone and then improve a Nintendo game. Crash Team Racing was actually better than Mario Kart for a long time. And Darksiders 1 is legitimately one of the best Zelda games ever made.

I'm sick of Nintendo making great games that never reach their full potential because they want to make sure that ten year olds can beat them.

They have competition, they just keep on winning.

Crash Team Racing sucked as well, worse track design, worse racing, but better than Kart 64.

While not necessarily competition in terms of the same market, but I would argue warframe competes with EDF and Ace Combat competes with every other dogfighing game.

They're not so great then, are they? Faggot.
You're right though, modern Nintendo games have been so dumbed down because they're purposefully alienating older fans and trying to bring in all the young kids
though, kids don't give a shit about Nintendo, haven't since the Wii U, and Ninty should just cater to the older fans, hell, they got a few good ones from the Wii Age

Forgot to remove the flag.

Not really. Most other dog-fighting games are on the simulation side of things, Ace Combat is pretty much the only arcade one right now.

The Sims has so much potential, but EA has no interest in actually tapping it. They're too busy pandering to sixteen year old girls who don't even own PCs anymore (I'm surprised they ever did) and have moved onto even more casual dogshit. If they had a serious competitor that actually wanted to make a good game instead of a buggy nickle-and-diming mess, I would be happy to give whoever did it money.

The Dark Mod? I mean it doesn't really hit the same half-horror vibe for me but still.

Gothic.

Have we played the same missions?
It isn't quite the same level of horror but it damned well tries.

Are there any modding communities similar to Doom and Quake? I love them as new maps come out on a relatively consistent basis that I can play, along with the occasional incredibly polished megaproject.

There's stuff for Build Engine and the like but it seems to be fairly dead for the most part.

There were similar games like it, Battle Realms, Lord of Everquest, Warlords Battlecry, but none of them compared to the polish, nor the online that Warcraft 3 had.

Oh fuck I thought it's about casual games that lack competition inside of them, but turns out it's a thread about muh industry.
Well I don't think there is competition to kingdom hearts.

The first Homeworld comes pretty close. It doesn't do those little character stories, but the lore and background is intense. The manual is basically a mini novel about the entire history and various cultures of the planet they leave behind at the beginning of the game.

Just play the campaigns.

Already did. Good stuff but not as great as I remember, it needed to kick the challenge up a bunch on some missions. Hard mode doesn't solve it, it makes a few missions more reasonably difficult, but some become so retardedly hard, you're forced to cheese the AI or objectives. Still the best campaign in any RTS, though. I should try me one of them modded/custom campaigns.

Are you trying to create the worst game ever, user? Stop it.

people are still playing it on eurobattle net, ENT and other hosts, cancer maps like Legion TD and Dota still exist but people are playing other custom maps way more, for example it only takes about 10-15 minutes to fill in all spots for Azeroth Wars

It needs competition, because either
>Digital Extremes might make the game good

I'm using MMH, it's always the same shitty set of maps, whenever someone tries to host something different no one joins. Half the games I join bomb at start because some retard leaves and causes a chain of leavers, or a desync happens. What I enjoyed about this game was the sheer variety and scope of maps, but that's too much to ask for now.

I haven't tried eurobattle.net, but the name makes me think it's full of hostile powergaming faggots who don't speak English.

leavers will happen always regardless if its a melee or custom map, i remember playing Azeroth Wars and some guy ragequit after 10 minutes because he didnt like how other player rushed him.

For niche maps you really have to find a community that plays it instead of blindly hosting and waiting for randoms to join

Eurobattle net in the past was made for european players but now its for everyone and they didnt bother changing name, great thing about it it has an option for people to reconnect if dc happens.

WC3 thread here 8ch.net/v/res/12837171.html

I'm glad.

The only thing in that game without competition is dat ass

>>>/tumblr/
>>>Holla Forums

VtMB has no competition. RPGs about vampires, or any horror creatures for that matter, are still practically nonexistent. Writing, quests, and atmosphere are excellent as well, and very few games can match them. And surprisingly, no other games take place in urban fantasy setting.
Is there anything similar to this? Closest game with somewhat similar Urban Fantasy setting was Wolf Among Us and in terms of everything else was probably DX.Am I stuck replaying VtMB forever?

No, you were right the first time. The thread is for games that don't have competitor games, not games that are easy.

You never fail to disappoint me. At least isn't an uncultured swine.

Nintendo doesn't need to cater to their old fans because the old fans never give up on Nintendo. Why cater to the people who are going to buy your product either way when you can double dip and aim at a different target in the hopes of doubling your profit?

Planetside 2
I said it a billion times but if EA came up with an open world battlefield, no matter how shit it is it would kill planetside 2 overnight.
A similar thing happened with robocraft, crossout came out and it's leeching robocraft's players, the one thing keeping it from killing robocraft is how shit it is on it's own.

No user. He's trying to create dwarf fortress.

go back to cuckchan mierde

Except gothic is dead.

Which makes no sense, since TES games are so bad it would be really easy to make clones that actually dont suck as much

Darksiders is good and so is CTR. Actually play them before you start talking about them, retard.

don't you know metaphysics is dead for like three centuries now?

Except, in The Sims, large rooms are actually beneficial, whereas in your screenshot, that design strategy is just a monumental waste of space.

I really wish Capcom would give Okami to Platinum and have them make another one. Okami was absolutely fantastic as a Zelda game aside from Issun talking your ear off and trying to solve every puzzle for you before you could and a sequel that addresses those complaints would be fantastic.

Also I know it's already got a million ports but a Switch version of the game would be ace.

God, yeah. The actual gunplay and missions are pretty fun but everything outside it - the crafting, the microtransaction or RNG progression, the FUCKING ORDIS STFU HOLY SHIT all suck balls. I'd love to just rip out the core shooting gameplay and turn it into its own game without… everything else.

In fairness, most of the TES games are nothing alike.
TES1 and 2 were over glorified dungeon crawlers.
TES3 was an adventure RPG.
TES 4 and 5 were open-world action games with lite RPG elements.

For the love of god let me shoot giant ayys while doing stupid anime poses with ridiculous weapons and mechs with my friends one more time before I die.

That's because bethesda has always been shit and as jewish as it gets, and in their market strategy they follow following what is popular at the time. Modern elder scrolls is shit because bethesda kept following whatever was popular in the market and it happened that what is popular now is shit Even their good games are shit compared to other similar games

kek there is zero rpg in tes 4 and 5

Thats a pretty niche genre, no way it would make money

I guess? It admits that it's directly inspired by Thief, too with all the factions, characters and all.

Rustles my autism when i think how "easy" from a gamedev-studio pov it would be to crank the realism/autism factor of Sims games up a notch but no such thing will ever happen.

They brought back an untainted version of it, and promptly fucking ruined it again.

B R A V O J A G E X
R
A
V
O

J
A
G
E
X

Sonic All Stars crushes all Mario Karts in terms of quality, and those with sense know CTR is one of, if not the best kart racer. The only one nintendrones are willing to remember is Diddy Kong Racing. Items in Sonic All-Stars are a lot more frequent, but set you back less, making it more about skill and less slingshotting or RNJesus.

Git gud, pleb. The shortcuts had consistent proportion between how hard they were to pull off and how far it put you ahead. Plus the best drifting.

Kart racers aren't supposed to be about skill, though. Sanic seems to not understand and want to be a racing game.

what ruined it?

Dead space. Even if it's shit unless you like the predictable jumpscares everytime there's 5 seconds of silence it still basically ripped off RE4 and became hugely successful. The same can't be said for a lot of other games.

In being broken, empty wastelands with nothing of interest and horrible gameplay?

the grand exchange, of course

Holy shit this is exactly the kind of game I've always wanted to make.
You should probably kill yourself anyways because I'm 100% an Idea Guy.

This sounds like the most bland early access survival game ever conceived, are you anons new here? This game exists in no less than 50 different forms on Steam, and they're all shit.

How about a fur trapper or pioneer game?

Post Daggerfall TES games are far from being empty wastelands.

Minecraft inspired survival games are shit because you're forced to spend at least half of the game punching rocks and trees. In Bethesda games, you scavenge cluttered objects, which is much more interesting and less tedious than punching rocks, and the crafted equipment slowly degrades or doesn't degrade with mods or in Skyrim's case.

its a very forgettable game

Please god

WHY WON'T SOMEONE MAKE THIS ONLY GOOD

WHY

runs on anything

Its called steel lancer arena international for ps2. Its the same core gameplay tightened up a bit and shit loads more customization added. I wish konami would get their shit together and do a proper pc release with online play added.

The Total War series as well as Paradox's grand strategy games are begging for competition based on the jewery theyve been committing with their dlc practices.

Personally for me I like strategy games, but I hate the numbers game within titles like XCOM. This just struck a chord with me and there aren't many games like it that aren't just worms clones.

Checkmate. And it's arguably better, too.

Some guys are making a new one:
gog.com/game/descent_underground

There's Vector Thrust, which gets the gameplay right and is also designed for moddability, but there's a serious lack of content available, because the developer only made a prologue campaign and there isn't really a significant modding community to take advantage of the mission editor. It's frustrating, because it could be a great game if the dev put a little more time into it, and like you said, Ace Combat is the only other arcade-style fighter jet game out there.

Not really. Gothic isn't first-person and it doesn't have the same level of moddability.

I own both those games retard

It's the better Yoko Taro game. As good as Automata was in terms of everything else, NieR has it beat by a mile in the writing. I'm glad they didn't try to recreate anything in NieR though, this way the direct comparison between the games is made obsolete.

Anyone that thinks Bethesda games do have competition (Gothic, TW3, Dark Souls, etc) are kidding themselves. Being fantasy and open world does not make a game like a TES game, those are surface elements. The only real competitor it has is Elona which is obviously quite different.

TES games (or Beth games in general) are about throwing you into a big handcrafted world and letting you make your own character and story. It's somewhere between Minecraft and an RPG, the handcrafted part is what makes it more appealing than Minecraft and the freedom is what makes it more appealing than other RPGs. You can only play as Mr. Protagonist Man in games like Gothic or The Witcher and you have to do most of the content in a general order, in TES games you can completely avoid things like the main quest if you choose and run around collecting ingredients.

Now I'm not trying to say that any of these games are good, they aren't, but people think they are because they have an appeal that can't be found anywhere else.

That's true. For me who is satisfied by the appeal, I think TES is the best game series I've ever played in my life. I've tried Minecraft, I've tried other RPG games like Gothic and Ultima. Nothing can compete with TES for me. When I played Morrowind, I completely avoided the main quest and made my own quest to find the complete daedric set. No other game does this for me.

It's unique and so *actually* has no competition

Exactly, player made quests are the reason why I play it too. There is no other game where you can make a plan to set out to kill a god in order to obtain their soul to enchant a sword and make it as powerful as a legendary artifact, and in your plan your quest takes you across the land to collect all of the ingredients and items you need to make the potions and build to be able to successfully kill the god. This is the kind of thing that many of other games have as their main quest but in TES it's just something you can decide to do.

There already are quite a few MB clones though.

It's sad how they've mellowed out after Oblivion though. Still, no one does sandbox better than them.

The realization that this is the case is the first step in wanting to kill yourself because there's nothing better.

Here's this games competition.

like what?
I know of no other games that combine realtime strategy, combat, role playing and grand strategy to the extent mount and blade does, even as shallow as it can seem

fuck you

It is not competition.
It is end to our lives. We will be reborn not as humans but as Sir Big ViDyck XIV, the ultimate ruler of Caldaria.

But there is something better, a future of abandoning Bethesda with OpenMW and making our own open world sandbox RPGs, be they an extension to Morrowind (TR and PT) or a standalone game (openmw-cs needs more improvement for that).

I only remember Of Kings And Men, but there are 2 other games, one is on android made by the chinese or japanese.

I don't need to play Morrowind again, I've played that game to death.

TES series are really only good for modding. The actual games are broken piles of shit.

I also don't get this love for Oblivion. It was the Skyrim of its time, it's just now that Skyrim is actually out, people for some reason think that it is better than it actually is.

I'm not even sure why no-one else has tried to break into the FPS RPG market. Bethesda set the bar so fucking low, that making even a half decent game would put you miles above those fags.

OpenMW has slowed down again, that's as much a future to me as flying cars.

I've been a long time supporter of openmw and salivate at the very idea of finally being able to cast off bethesda, play around in the TES3 lore Tamriel and possibly make my own game out of it, but it's been so fucking slow this last year I've given up for the most part.

Yeah that CS is shit, I can't do any of the things I want to do for even just modding Morrowind, no fucking precision/grid snapping, and I'm not using the original CS, something about mods you create on it are owned by Beth technically, or come under a proprietary Beth licence, I don't remember.

What are your main wants for a game like that, don't say good combat.

TR is pretty fun though

We got distant land and major performance improvements like a month ago, what do you mean?

I've only played them with very minor mechanic changing mods. I even played Morrowind for hundreds of hours without mods at all.

Distant land was 3 months ago and the version that it's built on hasn't even seen an official release, the last official release was last year, it's slowed right the fuck down. I actually remember thinking 1.0 would be possible for end of year 2014, now I'd be surprised if it made it before end of year 2020.

Its still being developed despite the lack of official releases, thats just because the autistes that run it refuse to release the 0.42 RC until they have a video for it and the video editor was gone for a couple months because of computer issues or something.

I know about the video editor but I didn't know that they were holding back the release because of him, I'm still skeptical.

tiger knight, chivalry
they might not have all the elements, but they are based on the game and act as minor competitors

It's true, the release candidate has been ready for over a month now and they wont be adding anything to it until 0.42 comes out but they're waiting on him to finish the video. Scrawl and the like are just working on 0.43 now.

I was talking about the single player aspect, multiplayer is a different game altogether

I hope .43 has some good stuff, really can't wait to see multiplayer to be merged into the core client. Gonna be a really good day when Skyrim/Oblivion features are added to the OpenMW back end, things like soft/rigid body physics, a character customization framework, additional scripting functionality and NPC scheduling. I will probably be in my 40s when we start to see that sort of stuff though.

The devs aren't allowed to port Skyrim/Oblivion (legally they can but noone wants to fight Zenimax over it), but what they can do is implement features from them like the physics you speak of.

The most important thing OpenMW will do in the near future is dehardcoding after 1.0. Zini will be replacing all hardcoded gameplay mechanics like the equations for how damage is calcualted or the skills themselves with scripts that are saved in the .omwaddon format so you can change them with mods. Additionally they'll be written in Lua which needs to be sandboxed to stop malicious mods. This will be the big mega feature that brings a lot of people into it because currently most people still use vanilla MW because of the scripting.

However other post-1.0 features on the trello that look exciting are Scrawl's volumetric fog/clouds as well as extension of the .OSG format so we don't have to use the shitty .NIF format and can easily replace animations in the game. Also dehardcoding + physics support means we can do stuff like calculate hit detection based on weapon hitbox and animation instead of using a cone based on weapon length and checking it against the target's cylinder hitbox.

I already know this part, and obviously I'm not talking about porting these features from oblivion/skyrim, that's not even possible, I want to see the implementation of systems that achieve the same goals really, OpenMW already uses bullet for it's collision detection but bullet itself supports soft/rigid body physics and is itself used in many professional projects.

It's cool that these things are planned and all but I know they aren't coming for the longest time, so whatever.

Jesus christ I've never been so happy and then promptly disgusted at nothing more than a rumor before. Video Games are dead.

look at what they did to a cash cow series like monster hunter. Imagine what they'd do to a dead series like Lost planet

nigga pls, have you even looked at the gothic mods
some people even made an online multiplayer mod for gothic 2
quantity of mods != level of modability

Look, I understand your bitter, but don't let it make you into a fucking retard.
When you interact in a game world, have conversations, fight npcs though a story arc and get married it is undoubtable that you are in fact playing an rpg.quality maybe up for discussion.
Again, turn off your retard blinders please.

All right, you've made me curious. Point me to the main Gothic modding site and I'll check it out.

i'm not sure there's a main site in english.. since the english wog died years ago
moddb.com/games/gothic-ii-the-night-of-the-raven/mods#modsbrowse
here are some 39 mods at least half of them are not in english though… as you know this is insanely popular in poland and DE

None of that has anything to do with the game being an RPG or not. The design of the game has little choice and consequence in your interactions with the world and other characters, as well with building your character's abilities and stats. Both the world interaction and character building fronts of the game serve solely as backdrops for the mediocre action/exploration gameplay that is the main focus of the game.

So far, it looks like it doesn't have anywhere near the number of mods that Skyrim does, nor does it have as many different types of mods, and a significant number of the mods that do exist aren't available in English. It also looks like the Gothic games don't let you create your own character, which is kind of important to me. I'm still not convinced that Gothic can really be called a competitor of TES in terms of modding.

All Paradox games. That's why they've become such greedy jews.

Urban fantasy is such an under utilized setting.

This shit has some potential! its apparently a crpg right? I could see them creating something similar to elder scrolls online, but in real life Europe. And that you can select different tribes/kingdoms to play for.

Is there any game that can run up to dark souls in terms of scale and difficulty, or even tone of setting? And bullshit me with TES games.

Skyrim has good dungeons.

Ok, it did. I liked the dwemer ruins a lot.

Oblivion had good quests.

Hell, Oblivion had excellent quests. All guilds had very good quests, especially the Dark Brotherhood, and even the fucking Fighter's Guild.

neat
why do they even bother making Viking Conquest a paid mod anyway? I want a new version of Gekokujo damnit

And even though you could become the head of all the guilds, you weren't the mystical chosen one of every guild like you are in Skyrim. You're just a person who rises through the ranks. And there actually *were* ranks, each of them with a nice-looking icon you could see on your character sheet. It gave the guilds a good sense of progression. Skyrim's guild quest lines all feel like they're just trying to get you installed as guild master as quickly as possible.

They all had excellent build up… Then pissed it all away. Each one involved a character or item that was practically main quest worthy, mannamarco returning, a fucking hist tree getting smuggled out of the black marsh and stealing an elder scroll yet were all were rushed half assed outcomes.

Skyrim's Thieves guild quest was so goddamn unbelievable that, near the end of the questline, I said "no, this is just fucking stupid" then turned around and left. Never did finish it.
This on top of the fact that maybe 1/4 of the questline is actual thief shit.

Goddammit.

The worst part is that, even after I figured out how to spawn her model in the console, Nocturnal apparently lacks something required for skeletal animation so I couldn't even hatefuck her with SexLab.

lel I know that guy
he used to be an actor
he's actually pretty liberal

Honestly the scale of PS2 adds very little positive to the game and detracts is many of the worst sort of ways to the core gameplay. Although it's possible that every one of those issues is actually just because the people developing the game have always been shit.

But really a very focused combined arms game ranging from something as low as 50v50 would be more welcome than the massive scale thing PS2 was going for.

Cease posting.

Yeah, no, your opinion is both shit and objectively wrong at the same time. Skyrim dungeons are fucked beyond repair. Even Oblivion had more "good" or good enough dungeons compared to Skyrim (mainly some ayleid ruins and the dungeons on the shivering isles) and that's setting a very low bar

Oblivion had better NPCs and quests. Also dungeons weren't as linear.

I knew Holla Forums was full of faggot, retards, and retarded faggots, but this is just astonishing.
The ArmA series has been without competition since the beginning. There has never been a game that allows just as many players to play at the same level of realism on the same scale of map at the same time cooperatively or versus. Anyone who wants to play milsim has to play arma. No other game comes close, which is bad.
ArmA has had very bad performance since the beginning. From OP:Flashpoint to ArmA III, the performance has been shit through and through, and while graphics have improved (drastically), and gameplay has received some changes, it is still fundamentally the same. ArmA desperately needs competition for BI to get their asses into gear.

The skyrim-tier rpg market is literally a cosplay market. In that sense, it does things extremely well.

Operation Flashpoint itself was a competitor to pic related.

I still feel the pain

I'm not trusting this shit. I've been burned by shit like this before.

Joint Ops
OFP

Imagine if someone managed to get the source code for MGSV. Mods could finally fix it then.

Alright, I forgot. Either way, it's not the only one of it's kind, unlike TES.

MGSV is a shit splinter cell ripoff with tacked on open world. Just play Hidden and Dangerous 2.

Not just as a game but an entire fucking genre

There are NO good mech games outside of Japland besides Armored Core.

PGI might actually pull off the biggest fucking hail-mary I've ever goddamn seen and make MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries not suck. It's only like a 0.000000001% chance, but… yeah.

You're gonna make it user

If I can fucking punch someone with an Atlas' fist I'll be happy.

Get that memesouls shit out of here.

How come there have never been more Zelda clones? There have a been a ton of games that ripoff Mario, but when it comes to fantasy adventure games like Zelda there only seems to be a few. Meanwhile, there's tons gomes done in the Final Fantasy style. Did Nintendo some how patent the formula or something?

You poor soul. Even I'm not THAT optimistic.

I would settle for it just being half the game that MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries was, but I know I'm probably going to be disappointed. PGI's filled with the kind of people who will fuck it up JUST TO PISS OFF BATTLETECH/MECHWARRIOR FANS.

The Battletech game Harebrained Studios is working on will have melee, though I'm not sure I trust HBS not to fuck it up somehow (IIRC HBS is related to PGI somehow, like they're composed of ex-PGI people or summat)