I was 9 years old when this game released

I never knew about the System Shock series. The only PC game I remember playing from that era is Tiberian Sun, and I got that from a thrift store.

What am I fundamentally lacking as a human being (that I otherwise would have) by not playing this game during my formative years?

well the game itself has some very boring enemy AI to fight against, it's not very challenging once you get past the first two floors which should take you maybe 2 hours of play time. After that the game is piss easy. The psychokinesis isn't very interesting, bioshock 1 and 2 ended up reincorporating them better as plasmids. None of the guns are particularly fun to use either. The "twist" is a waste of time considering the box art tells you what it is, and the last quarter of the game feels remarkably unfinished.

…nothing? I mean the game left a legacy and many other games drew from it, so it's not like you never experienced things from it. And you can still just go and play it now as well.

I was -8 when this came out.
Where does all the time go xD

Underage b&

You are lacking knowledge of interesting level design.

system shock 2's corridors are the opposite of interesting level design.

I still haven't played it. Because i fear if i'l play it i'l less vidya in my backlog.

At least they are not linear like every later game.

the game is overrated. It has great atmosphere and pumping soundtrack but the first one is better (if you can get used to the controls). Also second half of the game is utter shit. It's Bioshock with fewer casual stuff going on. Levine is a fraud

Consider suicide

being non-linear isn't the same as being good.

they're both right

Eat shit, the progression system and the backtracking are great.
The attention to the level design is great.
The music is top tier
The atmosphere is top tier
The HUD is top tier
Theres shittons of content and you won't be able to find it all in one playthrough
The items are great and fit any build
The gunplay is decent
The last part of the game is total mindfuckery
The audio logs are extremely well done and well positioned

lmao, the progression system is decent, back tracking is mediocre and there are no short-cuts or alternate skills or things introduced later on which make it interesting.
nothing like corridors, massive step down from thief's level design tbh, one of LGS' worst games
I love awful low bit rate 90s techno that awkwardly fades in and out in the game and on its own sounds like two separate tracks spliced together, the music is otherwise forgettable apart from the points where it's raping your ears.
lol
running out of praise aren't you
oh no you'll be locked out of shitty high end energy or exotic weapons instead of just using the good exotic weapon and one energy weapon because the rest suck and psionics are shit too
nothing like snap recoil which is an actual downgrade to ss1's progressive build up in recoil, its some of the worst in a game period.
you can actually see the part where they ran out of time, its hilarious
audio logs are bad game design

SS2 was awful compared to SS1. As I played SS1 first, I could never see SS2 as more than a massive disappointment. But for many, SS2 was muh first SS game and they saw a glimpse of what made SS1 good and thought it was great. I don't think you're missing anything by having missed SS2. And it'd be hard for a modern gaymer to get the full experience out of SS1 as they'll mod away the control limitations that made it more intense. With mouselook and such it's just too easy.

It's a good game the ending is sadly rushed.

I liked SS2 a lot and no amount of shitposting can change that.

It's an fps…
WITH AN INVENTORY SYSTEM
Oh my god, I'm literally cumming buckets!
Also I get to play mp3s while I play, check this immershun fam.

You're 10 years old?

Stopped reading right there
>>>/cuckchan/

Follow him
>>>/cuckchan/

I was 10 when this game released xD
FUS RO DAH!! :D

He's right, though.

SS1 Ultima Underworld control scheme are fucking garbage and the HUD drawer bullshit is only good as a novelty before you realize how contrived and clunky it is.
Theres no mastery in it like for example tank controls, its a legitimately fucking awful control scheme that was made before mouselook was a thing, yet the level and game design were barely worked around it much like Doom.

Thats like saying the Turok fog was great or that 2 weapon limits are great.

The game was built around those limited/bad controls. Improving them breaks how it's supposed to play. It'd be like giving Resident Evil a FPS control scheme, it'd significantly change the intended experience.

Yeah, nah, fuck you. Shit controls are shit and there is no excuse that justifies them being clunky. I want to be challenged by the game, not shitty keybinds.

Like I said, modern gaymers like you cannot get the full experience of SS1.

Nope
System Shock is a great game with shit controls.

Go back to your S&M dungeon you filthy degenerate. If it was up to people like you we'd still be using the arrow keys in FPS games instead of WASD, or we'd have regressed back to numpad.

People like you belong in the gas chamber.

The mouselook in the System Shock rerelease is fucking useless.
Just like your posts

Don't be mad at me that you're too casual to play a game the way the developer designed it.

You should be beaten with a tire iron.

I'm glad that many of the great games I played will never be corrupted because they're completely inaccessible to modern cancer like you.

Funny you'd call someone cancer when your previous post had a non-sequitur insult about traps and being gay. I would have thought a refined intellectual such as yourself would be able to prove a point without putting words in the other guy's mouth.

user, anyone with common sense can recognize KB+M is the objective best way to play a first person game, especially immersive games like System Shock or Dark Messiah; removing control from the player to simulate the supposed incompetence of a player character doesn't make things scary, or an ambush from behind frightening. Events such as those become frustrating because if the game were released today (or in 2006, or whatever time period you want) it would have supported that control scheme and enemy behaviour/level design would have been designed accordingly.

However, and this is where you're correct, to say the clunky controls are System Shock's "fault" is inaccurate. 3D was uncharted design territory at the time, and I'm sure the developers honestly didn't know if everyone would have a mouse to play. I can't blame them for making that choice, but neither can you excuse that choice simply due to the circumstances under which it was made.

The user you were talking to is incorrect to judge System Shock by modern standards of control without understanding the game was developed with numpad turning in mind. However, you can't blame a player for not wanting his controls to regress 20 years when he plays a game.

Stop using fire to cook, moron. That's too modern.

Die.

I only got through it recently. Pretty great game and tbh, Prey 2 is a decent follow up (whether the studio were cunts or not).

Specializing in more than one field of skill a bit of a waste tbh, for example there's no need to try and main energy weapons if you're already decent at standard weapons, reason being you can change ammo types to suit flesh and robot targets, whereas the shitty laser pistol does minimal damage to both and the EMP rifle only hurts robots. exotic weapons don't turn out until the near end of the game so investing points into it is a waste. stick to standard weapons and as for psy powers all you really need is level 2 where you can get the power to have your gun not degrade when firing it. also the OS upgrade for the game is misleading; the gun damage bonus "sharpshooter" actually gives you 35% more damage when using guns, not the 15% that it states. heavy weapons aren't really worth it because ammo is rare and you dont get them until later, unless maybe you take that one schoolyear at the beginning of the game as a marine then you get a grenade launcher with limited ammo but in shitty condition. If you go full psy be prepared to invest in melee since psy hypos are basically your ammo. You could also get that skill that duplicates ammo "clips" but by then you will have pretty much no weapons skill anyway.

I didn't find the controls hard to navigate, idk what these casuals are talking about. There's controls for actually leaning left and right AND forward ffs, this shit is great. The multiplayer function is a bit clunky and gets stuck on load loops sometimes when changing maps. The minimap function doesn't make sense because when you step into a new cell the entire aread around you get revealed despite you not having explored it like conventional minimaps do.

The biggest mistake in the game is the final boss; you need to hack the computers AND shoot at Shodan to win. This means that
IF YOU DIDN'T PUT AT LEAST 1 POINT INTO YOUR HACKING SKILL *AND* HAVE A RANGED WEAPON AT THE VERY END OF THE GAME, YOU CAN'T WIN

This anons right. If you got lost at all really in SS2 consider a different hobby. SS1 is a different fucking story And this is coming from an user that only played these games last year. I scare easily and the ambience/sound design in SS2 is fucking heart pumping.

Fucking love this since I'm the kind of user that loves to peak over ledges.

the problem with ss2 fags is they don't even know the game they suck the dick of

Can you even get to the end without hacking? IIRC there's a point where shodan outright gives you modules and tells you you need to learn hacking to progress.

I played tiberian sun & firestorm probably hundreds of hours as a kid and still come back to it to this day. Godtier rts in my eyes I don't care what anyone says

As for SS2 I played it for the first time a little less than half a year ago with low expectations thinking that everyone praises it due to that nostalgia factor. I was completely wrong and now it is easily one of my top 10 games of all time. Music & atmosphere was perfect, gameplay was solid and exploring those monster infested levels kept me immersed as fuck from start to finish. I would say that the final boss fight itself was somewhat lacking but that does not take anything away from how tight the whole experience was.

But you're assuming someone who made it to the end would have 3 of those, and there's no way they would know if they needed those or have them.

Been too long since I played so I don't remember. The hacking "minigame" was RNG-based bullshit though.

ur a fag

You're a casual. Experience a classic the way in which it became recognized as a classic, not a modern redesign by randoms to make it more accessible.

FYI Anyone who says Tiberian Sun and Firestorm are not Plato Forms-tier incarnations of what an RTS should be is an unpaid shill, a sore-assed DoW-III loving failure of a human, or both.

Plato form-tier would allow you to build your city in an asthetically pleasing way.

That's why I hate people that use emulators for shit like DOS games and use translations for things in other languages, if it isn't the purest experience then what is the point?

where's the shrek pasta

>there are actually people who would have been 12 or 13 when Skyrim released who are old enough to post and probably are on Holla Forums

While dosbox is at least passable for most games, it sadly can't emulate a lot of the stuff we used to do in DOS as modern operating systems can't handle the accurate timing necessary. On an old 386 at 66Mhz, we had a guaranteed 'scheduling' interval of 15 microseconds. That's way beyond the capability of most hard-realtime operating systems on PC, and certainly way beyond the capability of standard Windows and Linux. As such, a lot of the 'pure experiences' of the demoscene are completely lost on a modern audience. Anything that requires tight timing will fail in various ways.
An example is how hard it is to find a proper video of even the most famous PC demos that have had the most attention from dosbox devs. Like below, the raster plasma segment (skip to 5:14) jumps around and looks scruffy and the pixels are checkerboarded. It was smooth as silk and ran in 24 bit truecolor on a real DOS + VGA machine, but who would ever know?
Demos that used PC speaker audio and character rotation like from ACiD I worry will just be lost to the ages as even if you boot to DOS on modern hardware, the hardware no longer supports many of the features. There's a limited time to capture a lot of these before they're gone.

Hi
Skyrim was the first game I played that wasn't a multiplayer fps or on some kind of hand held console.

>there are people who would have been 12 or 13 when Halo released who are old enough to post and probably are on Holla Forums

I love tibsun so much and I really wish that it had become the gold standard for RTS games and not starcraft.

>there are people who would have started playing video games on iPhone or Android when they were 8 or 9 that are now old enough to post on Holla Forums and most certainly are but probably too ashamed to admit it

???

i'm guessing you're new but this has always been the case back in 4chan and now in Holla Forums

No shit, it just puts in perspective

You'll get there soon aswell young kid. Where all the years just floats into eachother and suddenly you have done 3 years at the same shitty job you don't even like.

Well, i mean, let's not kid ourselves, Moot was like fifteen when 4chan was created so it's not like being specifically eighteen means a whole lot. Shit, i bet there's people somewhere who're thirty that type like they're twelve.

It is truly one of the all-time Greats. What sucks is that Starcraft probably only got as popular as it did because it was rejected by Games Workshop or something like that - it was supposed to be a Warhammer RTS originally IIRC. Had it been full of violence and religious zealotry it probably would have faded into obscurity, and the genre wouldn't have become so utterly cancerous.

Started SS2 today and i went through the tutorial.
Pretty shit game i guess, because 1- default controls are shitty, 2- you are fucked if you chose the wrong shit to upgrade.

underageb& detected