So why did people like this shit? "a return to form for the deus ex series" my ass...

so why did people like this shit? "a return to form for the deus ex series" my ass. Yeah I'm super late but here are my complaints:

I didn't finished the game, stopped caring after getting to detroit the second time. how have standards dropped so low that this was considered a near masterpiece?

also Deus Ex general thread

Welcome to 2017, now give me your time machine so I can go back to the 90s.

You have good tastes, OP.

never played it, but the "press button for awesome scripted execution!!!!!!!" always struck me as garbage

I enjoyed some of the narrative elements, for example the trap where the player needs to get their augmentations fixed because of a glitch everyone is suddenly experiencing, and if he chooses to not get it then the next boss fails to disable all of Adam's augmentations with a killswitch installed by the update and the whole fight is much easier. That was neato. Otherwise just a 7.5/10 game.

OP I had the same complaints as you but never made a thread about it.

The worst crime this game committed is having a very shit story. Something the original is known to be mostly popular for.

Because the developers pulled the whole "how do you do, fellow channers?" shit and it was 2011, which was like 2007 part 2.

Are you shocked? Think about what the golden cow is here and think about what you just said. Hindsight should kick in soon after.

One problem I noticed was the "Any build can get through a level using their strengths!" design philosophy.

On the surface, it sounds great.

The problem?
Every single stage is the exact same.
>A hacker? Just get to the designated hacking terminal and hack your way in use one of the near-infinite autohack tools.

Its a Gears of War clone, any game with that cover cancer is all made around that shit

That has everything to do with making the game based around scenarios and not locations that fit in a world. These kinds of games are made by Hollywood dropouts for a reason.

The whole game just feels weird and clunky too. It's hard to explain in objective terms though I guess. But playing Deus Ex, I loved the aug that boosted your speed and jump height. I pulled off some crazy stuff with that because some of the levels have fairly vertical sections to them. Human Revolution on the other hand just made me feel heavy and bogged down. Not nearly as mobile as JC was even without that aug. Maybe it's because Adam is supposed to be heavier, but at the same time, in many ways it feels like he's better equipped than JC ever was. With his instant kill arm spikes and the big explosion move that he can do.

Some of the design just felt at odds with the world in that way. JC was probably more competent and dangerous in the long run. But at a glance Adam feels more advanced because he just has more tools at his disposal.

It's better than IW on the graces of it's UI not being designed for the PS2 alone, however.

This really bugged me. In 2030 everyone has tablets for every single thing you read in the game yet in DX you have the datacubes and then printed newspapers and books.

There's also the issue with the bosses. If you have a full stealth character (no lethal weapons) then you will get fucked once you face a boss. I had to try maybe 10 times before I managed to beat the cloaked boss in the server room (I forgot her name)
I don't know who at Square Enix thought that it was a good idea to have bosses and ask a subcontractor to make them.

2050 is full of hipsters :^)

I was able to beat most of them with the stun gun, the invisible woman was pretty difficult and I don't quite remember how I beat it. Mines, maybe?
The levels leading up to the server room in the office building almost take the cake for the worst in the game but the final level really does it.

Probably the same guy who intentionally sabotages everything Square makes and publishes that isn't Final Fantasy.

I didn't ask for this

No people would not be heaping love on a game that restarted the engine every level.

I liked it too and it's a really bad game.

Fixed in director's cut from what I've seen. There is a stealth solution for every boss.

Honestly the game was fine. You're just picky, and I'm amazed you feel you can afford to be given the rough eight-odd years we're having. Yes, when compared to the original it is a regression on some fronts, but they did a good job. Maybe the game has moved closer to a different genre, but it's still a decent title (if we're being brutally honest 7.5/10 as another user pointed out, and then most other games would get failing grades in comparison). 2001 wasn't all roses for gaming either. Honestly I'm surprised anyone really wants to retread this shit for you considering how late you are to the party.

Sure, ok, but you should be spitting hellfire in every other thread about modern games then. It's just strange to pick out a game among the best in a field and then shit all over it rather than acknowledge what it got right and actually examine it in context. Games aren't developed in a perfect vacuum and while we can insist that they should have followed the original title closely, there are probably a myriad of understanable yet boring reasons why it turned out this way instead.

Try to write an intelligent and engaging story like Deus Ex did in 2000.

It's actually not the videogames that have gone to shit contrary to popular belief. It's the people who play them. In 2017 nobdy can read or concentrate for longer than 5 minutes.

Mankind Divided was the better game of them two tbh.

False.

It was not though. It's like they looked at Deus Ex and decided to take a theme park ride approach to the level design. You have very obvious and rigid paths you have to take for any given playstyle, and they all play like shit. About the only thing I liked is the more involved hacking minigame.

Where it fails especially hard is how it ties skills and augs into one exp pool, and you get the most exp by using non-lethal stealth melee, basically fucking you over if you play anything else. Deus Ex only rewarded you for completing objectives without any concern how you actually did it.

They could make a game for a specific audience instead of trying to cater to the lowest common denominator. It's their fault they are incapable of making a game that isn't shit.

Pretty much this.
These guys had no understanding of illuminati/conspiracy scene. Ignored all the metaphysic/mystery school aspects and made everyone a collection of CEO's whos only ambition was more power. Yeah intriguing.

By whom? Nigger, it's a decent sneaker and a decent enough cyberpunk game, and god knows there's few of either.

MD had far better level design. More organic, less telegraphed. But becomes a borefest after the mech-ghetto.

Not a Deus Ex fan but I'm sure Squeenix astroturfed the fuck out of this game in 2011 after Holla Forums reacted negatively to its reveal. Plus based on what I've seen movement and combat are more satisfying than the original Deus Ex so action game fans that didn't care about the original probably loved it.

it was dogshit
saged for mentioning dogshit game

Meh, because of the atmosphere really. The game itself isn't all that good but the city hubs and the enviromment (and the soundtrack) are pretty spot on in my opinion. If everything was more neon hued instead of piss colored it'd be even better

deus ex is glorified trash

HR is actual good game

That's a retarded phrase, the animation and lock of the player movement is made to somewhat counter the fact that what you have there is a silent(if chosen) instant kill that with some waiting is infinite.
Could it be better? Sure but at least it prevents you from silently taking everyone down in a matter of seconds.

A for awesome would be ok if it's in first-person and only a lone enemy taken by surprise. e.g. dishonored. Hell, even farcry managed this ffs. The rest of it is game breaking.

It's not even A for awesome in dishonored, because player is in control when choking, you have to hold the button (happened to me like 3 times to fuck up becase finger slipped) and flow of game isn't interrupted.

Yeah true.

It seems the HR devs just wanted 'baddass' shots of Jensen doing takedowns which then even fucked up other mechanics.

I don't get it, why not bring a knife instead of that stupid "sword"?

And what i really enjoyed from the games was hacking into computers, sneaking into apartments and looking through stuff hoping to find something interesting. But neither games had anything hidden that would later give you help with the game, or even side-missions, which sucked. That was the most interesting thing about the game to me, too bad they never did anything with it besides trash-conversations about nothing.

Who is claiming this game is a masterpiece or deep other than neofag or gamefaqs? Every mention of it I've seen on here is that it is passable or shit.

Maybe he's talking about some normalfags he knows

Alot of reviewers claimed it was a worthy successor or something similar. Fuck that, I say DX2 is still unironically a better dx game than HR. At least it's interesting.

Because you believe marketers posting as users on the internet.

I remember when TotalCancer was defending those unskippable cutscenes… Seriously, they should've added an option to not show those sequences, I always play as a good goy and these cutscenes never look like non-lethal takedowns.

Games are commercial products.

Anyway next time a videogame treats you as a dumb piece of shit think for a moment: maybe I AM a dumb piece of shit.

I really liked System Rift, even though it felt like I was playing TRON 2.0 instead of Mankind Divided.

Invisible War was a consolized, dumbed down abortion of the original game that should have never been made and is still the worst main Deus Ex. Human Revolution, for all its faults, was far enough removed from the original game where you could treat it as its own thing, Invisible War ruins a lot of the first game which makes it worse by far.

So are textbooks. It's a matter of niche and expectations. Games can't afford to be niche anymore, but the industry as a whole isn't willing to collectively pare down production because the one company that doesn't gets to be the big fish in the pond.

All true, but I still remember most of the IW questlines, characters, missions etc like it was yesterday. HR was a different universe, ok game but completely forgettable.

It's especially bad since so much new happened when it comes to conspiracies since DX was released. They could talk about mass media manipulation, HAARP, scientology, mass surveillance, CIA and major corporations undermining foreign nations. And that's only stuff that is undeniably true. A lot happened in tech too, and things like smart devices, social media, automation, and digital currency could all be used in interesting ways. But none of that was touched.

THEY ARE LITERALLY INCAPABLE OF DOING SO
their universe has literally 2 media outlets, the HAHA ALEX JONES XDDDD and Picus, in Mankink Provided there's Samizdat but >implying
I assume they're too retarded (and not just ommiting it on purpose) to understand that the best way to control perception is to have a huge variety of media outlets which spew the same garbage, like today CNN, NBC, FOX, ABC, MSNBC, Washington Post, New Yorker and 50 others.
It's all fucking trash and if you actually want to know something you better watch a periscope stream.
Internet itself is also owned by Picus, because one of the writers HAD to have his OCDONUT STEAL WAIFU ELIZA play an important role

Yeah but they won't write a dystopia/cyberpunk story based on what they are part of or what they like.

I always thought that the guy on the radio was a parody of Limbaugh.

I still can't get over trying to make Eliza some universal star/propogandist. It's an idea from the 70's when newsreaders were respected. At least IW got it right with NGResonance (e.g. Beyonce) being the illuminati popstar tool.

the sad truth is that it just managed to be better than all of the other garbage that had come out in the preceding five years