Do you put hundreds of hours into multiplayer shooters?

Do you put hundreds of hours into multiplayer shooters?

Bored with installing shit on my new computer i put up youtube on my PS4 to play shit in the background and it went down the autoplay recommendations whole till it got to Superbunnyhops videos about Rainbow Six and talking about competitive, team based shooters as a hardcore videogame priority for him.

It struck me that you dont hear about that much nowadays, you have the casuals playing Overwatch like a shooter version of mario party for chaotic pick up and play time sinking or dumb tweens falling for the csgo lotto meme trying to make it big farming crates as they pay valve goybux for keys for them. Loud people playing loud games casually. But you dont seem to find people that make it their 'main' genre anymore.

Personally i grew up on consoles and rpgs so i tend to enjoy games with some form of persistence. Monster Hunter and all its clones, Diablo and Morrowind to name a few examples. But they still seem quite popular whereas none esports none casual shooters seem dead.

So do any anons still play them as their primary source of videogame entertainment? whats the draw for the repetition?

i can't touch anything competitive because i go suicidal when i lose

I don't. I'd like to play a multiplayer game, but not sink hundreds of hours into them. Maybe something to blow off some steam for an hour or two a day in between other things or other vidya.
I don't think anyone here in particular plays a multiplayer shooter as a main genre, but I think maybe some streamers do so, solely because it's their livelyhood and not because they like the game.

They're good to play with a group because you can play with only a few people or a lot of people.
the issue with ARPGs like torchlight is that if you play without someone they're left behind, or you're forced to start another character just to play without them.

Honestly Rainbow 6 siege is probably the best FPS on the market right now, but that's because basically nothing is an unlock once you get your good operators which requires only like 5-6 hours of play. (most of the DLC ones are pretty mediocre, and can be unlocked via normal play)

I've noticed the die hards ten to be playing seige or titanfall 2 which casuals avoid over muh cawadoody. What makes them stand out? reviewers of today give bad reviews because they are more like games used to be before the '07 year of darkness?

Personally I haven't played either but my guess is they're addictive enough and fresh enough to hold an interest in people who don't really care about CoD.

Siege is pretty neat, you get your drone and stuff, different operators have different guns and gadgets and they're mostly pretty balanced with 2 exceptions.
But R6S has a very quick time to kill, and with things like bullet pen and destructible walls the game has a decent amount of depth to it. The game focuses a lot on area denial as a defender, and while defenders can peek out and try to catch you off guard, you'll know where the peek spots are in a few hours of playing each map. Map awareness is also super important for each team with each attacker having a tiny drone that can scout rooms, and defenders having security cameras in certain spots on the map. With some operators being dedicated just to increasing map awareness or seeing through walls.

n-no

I don't put hundreds of hours into multiplayer shooters. I find a shooter that satisfies my current craving for gameplay, whether it be arena or realistic, and I go play. Every once in a while I find a good community and server and spend time there. Putting hours into this is incidental.

Mil Sims, Refractor Battlefield, UT and some Tripjew and Plentetside 2 on the side.

Haven't played them in a while now.

ANGELS FALL FIRST WHEN?

why?

READY OR NOT WHEN?

Yes. I have over a thousand in TF2 and over 200 in siege. and over 700 in warframe but I guess that's not a multiplayer shooter necessarily. The main draw is that getting a kill is satisfying or that there is a lot of variation to keep me going. In TF2 it's always satisfying getting a backstab, or headshot, or bouncing people around with rockets. Likewise in siege getting a kill is very rewarding, and is hard to do because in firefights aren't the main engagement. It's satisfying to flank someone, or shoot them through a wall, or throw a well placed c4 and get them. And because kills are so important in siege and there is no respawning it's just that much better.

Tl;dr
Each kill is fun

I only play multiplayer shooters as a opposite to background noise, if there is even a word for it.
Just play them as something to do while listening to music/commentary/whatever.

Adrenaline boost
Sometimes when playing a specifically intense match of some mil-sim game I literally have to take off my shirt because I'm heating up so much and sweating. No, I'm not fat.
Playing CS:GO, for example, (even though I fucking hate csgo nowadays) when you're the last guy on the team against three others and you're pretty much at match point it really does get the adrenaline pumping, and feeling of absolute victory if you do somehow manage to win against all odds is awesome. Playing Squad or Project Reality, have 30mm shell whizzing over your head while your squad leader screams 'run for it, go go go!' and guys are falling down on all sides of you is fun as fuck and the boring & frustrating parts people moan about usually make up for it if you allow yourself to really get into the game.
Disclaimer, those are just one or two examples don't get triggered like I know someone will about my exact descriptions.

I get bored quickly if there are few maps, and as we all know faggots tend to like playing in only one fucking map in each game

help
me

I just like getting good at the things I play, but shit like Warframe and Paygay are basically background noise, and I play them to do something while I listen to music or a podcast or something.

Not every shooter is CS:GOY m8

Jesus H. Christ you really are the bestest goy aren't you. Talk about masochism & ios-tier money grabbers, jesus.

1955 hours in Gmod, 1316 hours in TF2, 500h -/+ in FiveReborn.

Should I seek help?

You are past saving.

why would you ever put more than 41hs in a shooter

is gmod still alive ? last I remember the 12 yo killed it

I played a few here and there but just stopped. My default skill level is pretty high to begin with, so I get good at them really quickly. I generally got bored before 200 hours, because winning too much is only satisfying for so long.

But if you want to talk about wasted time, MMOs, on the other hand, I played way too much when I was a teenager. So much wasted time. I really regret that. And they are shit games, inherently. And I mostly played them alone.

Generally only interacted with other people after getting pretty strong, so I have only been in two guilds, both pretty good. And last time I played one, I actually maxed out a character with no human interaction and ended up having no one to interact with anyway, so I quit permanently. Naturally, that was when I made a male character.

All the popularity and social interaction that I ever got out of these games were caused by my female character creation skills.

Damn. Not sure that it's the best way to spend your lack of life, but whatever.

Never spent a shekel.
Fuck Valve for what they did to both.

I have something like 846 hours in Planetside 2 which is more or less the only game I can still play for more than ~15 minutes in one sitting. I managed to get around that much across multiple systems with the first Dark Souls and almost 400 hours in Red Orchestra 2 before dropping them. Send help.