Ok so I'm interested in getting into the Thief series. I've heard the most recent one lacks a lot of the charm...

Ok so I'm interested in getting into the Thief series. I've heard the most recent one lacks a lot of the charm. But the first one feels really dated and sort of hard to get into.

How should I proceed? Is there mods? Or should I start on 2? Or what? Thief thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/thief-gold-hd-texture-mod
moddb.com/mods/tfix
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

stop being a bitch and play the first one.

Thief 1 Gold. Also don't bother trying to kill the zombies. You'll know when.
Also, get the Thief Gold HD Texture Mod. you're good to go. The game is perfectly playable as is.

What? You get Tfix or any NewDark based mod and then you're good to go.

1 and 2 are good, 3 isn't as good as the first two but isn't nearly as horrible as some anons say it is, and the new thief is a poor man's dishonored.

Just play the dark mod for fucks sake.. Sometimes it can be really fucking buggy and annoying getting stuck on random pieces of upholstery will mean that you have to save often in order to avoid losing your progress and other times, it just flatout runs like a piece of shit even if you have a pc that can run most new releases on/near ultra, but there's not much better for scratching that itch if you can't bother yourself to play the original thief games because all characters are made out of distorted triangles and visually it has not aged well

I have a simple job planned for this evening.
Break into a dead thread, get an user interested in Thief and leave quietly.

The stealth genre is out of luck and rumor has it that the level design went with it too, as a fuck you. The time is ripe for some classic vidya.

Do you like excellently crafted large, labryinth-like mansions, mazes and areas filled to the brim with secrets and challenges?
Do you hate the binary in shadow/in light or making sound/quiet as the wind mechanics many modern games with "stealth have"?
Do you love having to explore and find things for yourself, with only your wits, a bow and arrow, a compass and a basic map with bare minimum features at your disposal?
Do you want to be a dickass Thief who can ghost entire levels without even knocking out someone?
Do you believe killing in stealth games is for casual faggots?
Do you like fucking around with physics like stacking boxes and making your way through incredibly loud surfaces using moss and carpet?

Yes? Play Thief Gold, the The Metal Age. I dunno about Deadly Shadows or the 2014 one.
Also feel free to skip Thieves guild in Thief Gold. It's a shit level.

Whoever told you the first one is dated should hang himself.
Stay the fuck away from 2014
3 is ok now compared to all the modern garbage, but pretty meh compared to the first two.

Why is that better than the HD texture? I've got these two links and not sure which to go with.

moddb.com/mods/thief-gold-hd-texture-mod

moddb.com/mods/tfix

Not sure which is better.

because it's just a bad game inb4 bait.empty space walking sim with light/dark mechanics. anyone without nostalgia glasses sees it

People always say this but just cutting them down is easy as fuck and as long as you don't step on them, they stay down.

Are there any video game boards/sites with a 25+ age requirement?

TFix incorporates NewDark, which is a total overhaul of the Dark Engine. Essentially it gives it much better compatibility with modern systems, higher resolution, lets it run at 60fps, generally you want it for any game that runs on this engine. That includes Thief 2 and System Shock 2.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the HD Textures, but you want TFix no matter what.

wizardchan

Give up. If you don't see the charm of the original, then you're not going to "get" the series.

Also Thief > Thief 2. fite me irl

Thief = Thief 2 > Thief: Deadly Shadows
tbh

I think it was mostly visual. I threw on tfix and hd textures and I'm about done with the first level. So far so good. The bear conversation at the start made me chuckle.

Thief 1 gold using that mod that updates it to run better on current systems, I played it for the first time last year, it was great.

Don't listen to this guy, the level design in the 3rd one is a joke.

The level design is splinter cell tier, and it still is better than most other modern games. Yes it's much worse than the first 2 games and a jarring change in level design philosophy. But that doesn't make it a horrible game in its own right.

You would be surprised at just how cancerous people on that age gap are.

The level design wishes it was Splinter cell tier, I guess you are right that it doesn't make it a horrible game in it's own right just in the same way that Prime Hunters wasn't a horrible game in it's own right, but Prime Hunters in spite of being an obvious step down from other Prime titles Hunters was a spinoff, Thief 3 is the sequel to Thief 2 and it completely drops the ball, the only addition I liked was being able to hug walls, I hated almost everything else, I didn't even finish the game, but that's also because the game runs like absolute shit.

Also it had that one spooky level where you go to the asylum. I just feel like it's worth playing since there's not anything else as good as 1 and 2.

I just feel like it's worth playing since there's not anything else as good as 1 and 2.

Bane of my existence, not exclusive to thief.

Eh, it's pretty easy if you lead them on to make a large group and then throw a flash grenade in the middle of it.

Thi4f is better than those

Subtle.

Back in me day baiting required effort.

I like old games but I also recognize that… part of the enjoyment of thief is a sense of immersion. Listening closely for when it's safe to go, snooping around and thinking where would I keep a big silver dildo?

And as graphics improve, it becomes harder to feel as immersed by old games because as opposed to "Man this has people walking around that I can sneak past I've never seen that before" you just naturally think "Christ that looks ugly compared to all these other things I've seen"

Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm not HAPPY about it but I acknowledge it in myself.

Couldn't get into it because of the cheating/simplistic AI. No mod will fix that unfortunately.

Okay buddy :)

Dude don't even bother explaining, you're talking to a wall

I dont understand how faggots like you think.

I can't think an example of a more casual/norime then that.

If you have issue getting immersed in older games because of the difference in visuals, do you have issues with getting immersed in top down games?
For me, my level of immersion is based on the quality of the game and the 'atmosphere', rather than the visuals, have you tried focusing on those aspects rather than how it looks or is presented?

Technically wouldn't be only an improvement if NV was remade in Gamebryo++++ instead of being on Gamebryo+++? I didn't actually play FO4 so I don't know if has specific issues.

You need to kill yourself.

FO4 has engine-related issues, but there as just as many due to the game's logic and data handling; you can bring a companion to kill Kellogg, but that same companion will act shocked once you tell the quest giver you killed him. A friend of mine went to university and one of his professors did some work for Bethesda during FO4's development. The reason everything looks like clay is because they lost a lot of their work and models partway through development, which resulted in a lot of unpolished, shoddy work to make the deadline.

Kek do they have only one back-up? I bet Todd flushed the drive down the toilet so the IP gets taken away from them. True hero.
So basically they did no strings for scenarios? Im not /agdg/ so Im not sure what exactly im talking about.

Empty? Sure, some levels felt that way, particularly the Lost City level, but I'm sure most of the levels were far from empty.

The Lost City mostly feels empty because half of its content was taken out and put into another level. In the Gold version, anyway.

"String" wouldn't be the right word. It's more that they didn't have any decision trees for the possibility the player explores the world before killing Kellogg and kills him with the help of a companion. I'm reminded of a tidbit of datamining from Mass Effect 2 where modders discovered all party members had dialogue for all situations, even ones they had no possibility of seeing in the finished game. Obviously this makes sense from a design perspective, since there is no chance you'll need to book another day of recording with a particular VA, but you have to handle that kind of blocky mission structure well in order to justify having it be blocky in the first place.

Mass Effect didn't. Fallout 4 didn't (you can watch the Joseph Anderson videos on it; he's one of the more intelligent normalfags you'll ever see). I can't think of many games which have, frankly.

Honestly, if you haven't played it yet don't bother. Coming here for the past few years made me realize that most of you don't even know what a video game is; most likely that you're just too young to have played a lot of the classic games and appreciate them because of "simple AI" "muh graphics" "muh open spaces". Seriously, most companies are still trying to remake System Shock 2 and Ultima Underworld, and failing really hard at what made those games awesome. You've pretty much been corrupted by modern games to the point where you can even make a judgement as to what makes a quality game.

I never understood this. Even after 20+ years I'm still playing Darklands and Dark Heart of Uukrul and they are STILL MUCH better than the majority of RPGs that have come out since then. If you think that it's just about graphics looking bad, you obviously are missing the whole point and should just give up all together.

ah shit i meant to say system shock 1 not 2

Honestly SS1 really is dated. This coming from a person who can play UW just fine.

Lack of convenience features puts a big clamp on how popular a modern game will get. Too many people nowadays can't even play TES3, I'd imagine they wouldn't even be able to configure DOSbox for TES2 or 1.

While it may be dated to some there are a lot of innovations that both games did that companies are using, or trying to recreate, to this day whether or not they are doing it actively or passively.

I still can't get over this, it's so easy. While you may have some difficulty with certain games it's still pretty straightforward. I guess everyone just wants something that auto-installs and then you can just click the icon to play it without having to have a single thought in your head. Most of the classic games though can be found on GOG, and come with a pre-configured DOSbox setup. Even at that point I find that doing it myself often works better since they tend to lock cycle rates and the like

Evidently but let's take another whack at it.

I generally don't get or try to get immersed in top down games. They're arcade-y. Which is a different kind of fun. I quite like top down games but for a different reason.

I'm not sure it's "the graphics looking bad" exactly. I find the sense of scale in a lot of old games really weird. Like I've just about finished that first level of Thief 1 and what struck me is that Garrett feels really short. Part of it is definitely all the crouching but even then. Everything feels weirdly proportioned.

I dunno.

Underage are even unable to get into Open X-Com, even when og X-Com was perfectly playable, there's no hope for them.