CRPGs are almost all based on fantasy or sci fi settings

Would it really be that hard to design? Gameplay can be around solving cases or making the right choices.

Keep an eye out for No Truce with the Furies.

You realize most people just copy paste google image results when posting a non reaction image right? It's faster and you don't have to download the file.

AoD let's you roleplay a diplomat pretty well. It's in a post-apoc/medieval setting though.

L.A. Noire exists but Im guessing you just mean more options. What about just a Modern Day RPG set in a modern time? Or an occult setting like The Secret World?

This bait doesn't really work if the file is literally named "trigger.gif"

This.

For more spiciness, try something like "i-kymcdn-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg"

Age of Decadence is definitely worth a shot. I had a pretty good time with it.

Better Call Saul: The Video Game when.

Don't give Telltale any ideas now

It would require coming up with something original and not ripping off Tolkien for the 400th time.

Most IRL shit too normal fag for proper fun.

Copypasting images gives a generic "clipboardimage" filename

Sounds gay

This looks like garbage.

Wrong.

It never makes sense when rpgs do this. You, the player, are the one who makes the character's decisions, by all accounts, your character's mental stats are going to be what your own are. (In before people with low int scores complain about this).

It would make more sense to either make stats only physical stuff like running or aiming a gun or do away with the stats and essentially make an adventure game in that setting, for which case there are already quite a few. (We could definitely do with better ones though).

Why can't we just get rid of stats all together.
You don't need an extra dice roll to visualize that your character is stronk as fuck in videogames. You can see your character is stronk as fuck. You can see him pulling trees out of the ground.

D&D was a mistake

D&D was a pen and paper game, the only time when stats made sense for an entire genre of entertainment

Funny you use that, Dark Souls is a pretty good example of how modern games use character stats as mostly superfluous annoying fluff meant primarily to gate content instead of as an interesting game mechanic

why can't westerners design good rpgs?

Do you even understand the basics of RPGs? In an RPG the player plays a character that isn't himself. Playing a character that is basically just yourself is considered bad roleplaying.

RPGs stopped being about actual roleplaying some while ago user. The genre has long since been a misnomer built around games which try to clumsily emulatate RPG elements such levelling and stats without actually incorporating the actual roleplaying.

Even when actual roleplaying is done in RPGs it's pretty much done through what player envisions their character as being instead of what the in-game stats tell them.

You could get the exact same result with just gear and upgrades

Upgrades to what? Your stats? That's what fucking level ups are.

Upgrades to the gear. dumbass

I'm late to the party but I watched this a while ago and it was alright. I really hated how everything bad was self inflicted, everything could have been fine and swell but then there wouldn't be much of a show I suppose. Saul was a really good character, slick as hell.

Modern fantasy tends to rip off John Michael Moorcock more than tolkien.