Why would you make a 2D game have a 3D world?

That's one of those things that has always bothered me because you see all this effort and work put into creating a world that stretches towards the horizon and it ends up feeling like a bunch of wasted space. I think one of the few games "close" to getting it done correctly is Klonoa due to the curving in the path and how the game makes full use of it's 3D nature.

But, for everything else that doesn't do this, why isn't the game just 2D? Wouldn't it have saved more money and time to do that instead of creating full 3D models of everything? And, for the games that do cheapen out and only have the playing field be 3D, why didn't you just go all the way and make it completely 2D?
/rant

xd

3D models are cheaper to animate than sprites.

You don't seem to understand how it works, user. 3D models are cheaper and faster to work with. Just complete the model and you can just copy paste it and it have multiple uses, whereas with 2D you have to make each frame of the sprite.
I used to be like you, I did this exact same thread long time ago. I do want more 2D platformers, fuck, I'd kill for more 2D metroidvanias, but they are too expensive and time consuming. 3D feels cheap, but it gets the job done.

you have to go back

What and said.

Which ironically means that when someone does 2D, they're more committed to quality. 2D truly > 3DPD.

Because 2D backgrounds that don't move or have no depth look like fucking trash?

I am honestly not sure if this is bait or you're actually retarded

go back to whichever forum/tumblr you came from

I know this is shameless bait, but I rather detail over an empty depth. Castlevania SOTN had a lot of depth in many backgrounds, specially the church.

SOTN had 3D backgrounds that had depth you dumb fucking cunt

also even if they weren't inherently cheaper to animate, 3D would still be cheaper because there are so many more 3D modelers and animators due to the direction the industry took

3d was the right choice.

It also have detail, not only depth, and most part of the background isn't like that, like the stairs right before that room. Behind the "wall" first background there's another 3D background, though, but the murals in the first background and even the 2D trees are better looking than the 3D bits.
If you want fully 2D and even low res that kicks any 3D shit take a look at Aria of Sorrow.

This industry sickens me.

3D is easier and cheaper at this point. And like in Trine 2, you can make the world look incredibly detailed and interesting, but not have to worry about the complications that come with having the game play in 3 dimensions.

pic related

Also 3D, no matter what quality (Especially counting the one I posted is really low poly and doesn't have that much detail), is always going to be better than static 2D.

Why not animated 2d then?

It doesn't have to be static 2D and even if that was the case it is still better than 3D. The goal is whether 2D is better than 3D and it certainly is.

user made the point to say that detail is always better than depth.
Parallax scrolled 2D is completely fine ad on par with 3D.

it felt fine in tomba

I remember playing pokemon white with sprite characters and 3d environments and it looked great to me.

That's nothing new tbh.

If the style works and looks good alongside excellent gameplay, music, and plot, who gives a fuck? Reward good games for being good, and shit on and subsequently ignore bad ones.

The new Dragon Fighters Z is in this style, and it looks incredible in my opinion.

That game along with Xrd both aimed to be as 2D as possible, and they managed to do it.

3D is never the right choice.

Pokemon B/W were some of the most dogshit awful looking examples of 2D+3D I've ever seen. Like eyebleedingly bad.

It certainly gets the job done of making me not want to play those games. It always either looks cheap as shit or it ends up being so detailed that it's distracting. Sometimes it manages to do both.
If you're going to go to the trouble of making 3D assets you should heavily consider just making a 3D game. If you don't want to make a 3D game because you know people still desire 2D games or can't because you lack the skill then you learn to pixel art or draw. Or at minimum go the prerendered route like DKC 1-3. AND DON'T TWEEN YOUR SHIT.

Don't forget the castlevania game on ps1 that had an awesome 3d effect but was in 2d.
The wasted space comes from them not wanting to experiment on the 3d, its easier to just make depth of field when it comes 2,5d and in the process you don't waste much time, plus QnA could also be a reason if the company is big enough to do such a thing, then some faggot might be confused why the camera is doing such n such.