Tactical RPGs

Recommend me some good Tactical RPGs, Holla Forums.

Also, any tips for Tactics Ogre? Can't seem to get good equipment in the stores or by crafting, as they're all 5-6 levels lower than my class levels.

I fucking hated the PSP version of Tactics Ogre.

I love it, but it ends really abruptly and that kind of pisses me off

Also, if you liked Tactics Ogre you can check out Front Mission for the snes. I don't think it was ever officially translated but there is a fantranslation.
It's basically ff tactics with a bunch of mechas that you can customize.

This is my favorite genre. I really want to develop for it.

It's rough around the edges but I enjoyed Expeditions: Conquistador. Only game that lets me slaughter Haitian slave revolts.

Obligatory.

Battle bros, ho!

I know you love that game enough to post about it every time possible, sell me on it mechanically. I tried it on my PSP and it struck me as a kusoge.

Also are squad mechanics mandatory? Because boy do I have a game for you if you like sneaking and removing tunnel kebab with mind fire and high caliber weaponry.

I was hoping that game would be like Fallout 1 & 2 which I loved, but a lot of people had told me that it's not very similar and is actually a lot worse. I'm downloading it at the moment to see for myself, but can you expound possibly on what about it people don't like?

Think FO Tactics but better, singlefag and turn based. The story is there, it's not half bad and you get to influence it with the right skills at the right time but the meat of the game is combat. Which is harder if you don't know what you're doing.
Also the memery, pop culture references and humor are less obvious than in FO games.

Don't make me dump the rest of my folder.

kamidori alchemy meister

It's not just me. There's another guy I see post it quite a bit.

The best way I can think of to describe it is like Tactics Ogre or FFT, but in real time, without classes, and something kind of like the materia from FF7, but a fair bit more complex than that. The game gives you a decent amount of spells that you can combine in different ways and a lot of skills and techniques that you can stack, which can lead to some high-level fuckery, but you're going to need that during the more difficult battles because the enemy is going to be using the same high-level fuckery against you. Fights towards the end of the game can get incredibly hectic because of this. It's a really great game if you like autistically micromanaging your characters.

How so?

exile, or avernum if your computer cant run exile

hoo boy it seems I just cant stop fucking shilling this game

Go Law route first, it has all the best characters in it. I played until the point in Chaos route where you have to grind affinity for a specific country to get the Necromancer to join you; if I play again I'm gonna restart entirely.

Bampu~

Summon Night 1-4
Black/Matrix series
Eternal Poison

One of a handful of fan translations the original creator not only spoke about but spoke fondly of.

Grind.

No it's not. It's actually fun.

I really enjoy The Age of Decadence, and I can't say for myself whether this game is good or not, but I've heard good things about Jagged Alliance 2.

Jagged Alliance 2 plus the 1.13 mod is the shit.

not him but should i play it w/o the mod first?

No a bad idea since that way you'd get at least two guaranteed fresh playthroughs.

ok and what game is it ? already lost 5 minutes trying to google it

I want summer cuckchanners to leave already.

Large Cartridge: Rough Existence
Google it harder faggot

Try googling 寝取られ

No, i'm just calling you a massive retarded faggot because you can't google it. I managed to find it by doing image search on the second pic within a few seconds.

does a game like Wasteland 2 count
as a tactical rpg? Does tactical rpg imply turned based?

Lurk the fuck more.

Kys nigga.

I disliked the combat. Same with that other series where the MC is a rogue-ish "bad guy". It feels like the combat is severely lacking in tactical depth and fun factor.

Gameplay's only so-so. I dislike the fact that most units become useless once you get into the NG+ content until you get their ultimate weapons + accessories, which you can only get after clearing most or all of said NG+ content. In any case, I felt the hardest part of kamidori was my dick.

Come on, there have to be more neat TRPGs.

I always wanted to try Tactics Ogre. Should I get it on the PSP or go for one of the originals? Please tell me it doesn't have shitty Ultima secrets like FFT

There's a Gundam one on the SNES that has you play through the events of 0079. It's pretty cool if you're into Gundam.

It makes Ultimate look reasonable. There hidden are ethnic alignment meters that determine what NPCs join you, on top of political alignment.

That is Ogre Batlle for you

At least that's consistent. I'll gladly take that over "Hey, if you're the worst class in the game during these two battles and get hit by the most powerful spell in the game and survive, you learn it! Hope you don't miss your only chance!" That and Agrias' birthday shit. Ridiculous

Do JA2 and Silent Storm count?

what is agria's birthday about? i never seen it despite playing FFT autistically for the last 16 years

NIS churns out a lot of shit, but Phantom Brave was actually quite good.

SILENT STORM

Well, that's not your fault. It's only in the PSP remake.
Basically if you have Agrias, Alicia, Lavian, and Mustardman whatever fuck the last knight's name is all in your party, you have 500,000 G Despite only actually needing 50k and if you reach a town not a castle town on the 1st of Cancer in the final chapter, you see this event.
So Moustachio buys her the Tynar Rouge for 50k of your money so he can leave the friendzone. It's an accessory only females can equip (Fuck Square) that gives auto-haste, auto-shell, auto-protect, +3 to physical and magick attack, and increases the damage of holy attacks. So gosh, I sure do hope you didn't miss this one-time event for one of the best items in the game! Not that you need anything if you have cid in the battle

Good game, I still need to beat it.

That's Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079. It's also in G Generation Genesis and the Efreet is muh waifu.

I also like Project X Zone

Does Zeonic Front count? It's more Rainbow Six than a proper RTT but you still need to plan.

Not really, but I'm no purist.

I did find it funny that while Charlotte complains about not getting deployed in canon because MUH SEXISM, she actually performs the worst out of the whole team in Genesis.

Do you like to control qt girls that bully demos?

How badly did NISA fuck up the translation?

The original ps2 only got the crosses and cigars censored. Everything else is ok.
The PSP version is better, more content and no censorship, go for that one.

It kills me how badly they butchered the translation. Which is ridiculous considering how bad some parts of the original were.

Easily tops any other Atlus games for bizarre, convoluted battle mechanics.

Ramza's squire is crazy good though.

nobody cares, queer.

Lurk the fuck more.

Two quality posts, back to back. Keep up the good work, fammo.

Fucking archers and ninjas, also one or two golems for defence.

You can also try the Nintendo DS port. The localization is mostly decent and contains another campaign based on the other side of the war.

I'm still mad we never got the translation for Front Mission Alternative and Front Mission 2089.

Really? I always felt like it was outclassed by almost anything else. Granted Shout and Ultima are nice, but even with those abilities unique to him, I find Ramza more useful as an Edge Knight, Sanguine Blade all day Two abilities and slightly better stat growth aren't really enough to make me stick with it, might as well go with Samurai for the buffs and similar stats. Then again its been a few years, I might just be remembering thigs wrong.

Did anyone ever actually use the Mime job? I could never make it useful

So I started JA 2 yesterday and whoah momma.

This game…I can tell I'm going to like this game.

I hope you checked Sci-Fi.

you are retarded and your bait is awful

What happened with the translation? Is it just that they made it into ye olde english or did they change plotpoints and characterizations?

Are Valkyria Chronicles 2 or 3 any good? The first one was fun as fuck.

Ye old english in the style of Vagrant Story and FFXII. I removed "Blame yourself or God" and the other fun stilted translations. It's a "better" translation but people were so fond of the original that it doesn't matter.

jeanne d'arc is shit, though
I can recommend Luminous Arc 1, 2 and 3, but 3 was jap only

The story in 2 is ass but the gameplay is good if grindy; scout rush is no longer a thing and building/customising a team is much more fun as a result. There are a few missions that too strictly adhere to the 'one solution' puzzle format but they're not frequent enough of a problem to dismiss the game outright. 3 has less of the grind and the story is better, though not as good as 1.

Some good playstation ones are Kartia, Saiyuki: Journey West, Hoshigami: Ruining blue earth, Vandal Hearts 1/2( 2 is ok but has a eird simultanius turn system) Arc the lad 1(1 is only a few hours long but makes 2 much more enjoyable)/2, Front Mission 3 obviously, Ogre battle march of the black queen ( though not strictly a trpg).

This looks like pure shit.

are there any tactical RPGs that use hexgrids and incorporate flanking bonuses and tactics?

Civilization 5

this

Fuck i have to reinstall toee now

I bet you niggers think Fire Emblem is a good game.
Guess what, Advance Wars is an actual strategy game and better than your gay ass grindan' shit. Mods will delete this because they hate the fact that I'm right and they are wrong,

you took a wrong turn, faggot
cuckchan is further down the street, right next to the gay bar you frequent

Spotted the FE fag. Go jack off to your Lucina Onahole, nigger.

user, nobody is talking about Fire Emblem. I think you're upset for no reason.

user you shouldn't give retards attention.

Then why are you talking to me? ;)

Stfu you dumb JoJofag, I bet you lick willies for fun. Also this is now a LOL thread.

Vantage Master is fun if you have friends.

It's also fun if you aren't a fag like you are.
Boyo do I love summer!

Xddddd

Mark ban me you fat kike

Aye aye lads lets just succ my peenus weanus xD

you're here forever

That is a strategy RPG you faggot

That is a strategy RPG you faggot

You can try Fantasy General and you can get it free from gog.com today.

Want to something hilarious? NISA had NOTHING to do with the PS2 original's western version, as La Pucelle Tactics was before NIS had their own branch for western releases. That one was on Mastiff, who pinned the blame for the censorship they did on "well organized forces that work hard to punish software makers and sellers for what they consider religious transgressions" and that as a new publisher, they had to make sure they picked their battles, and that the crosses and shit weren't meaningful anyway (in a game with a religious backdrop). Note that this doesn't exactly hold that much ground when you consider La Pucelle Tactics release in the west the same year as Shadow Hearts: Covenant, which like it's predecessor Shadow Hearts, doesn't show the Catholic Church in the best light. SH:C came west just fine, and while Midway was long established by that time, they weren't really known for publishing JRPGs, and they didn't seem to face much if any punishment for doing so (SH:C was even a mere T-rating)

In the backstory maybe, but in the actual games they don't really do anything wrong. Nicholai was a heretic and thus false cardinal, and Alice's magic shows Christianity is at least operable in the universe (although I've always though Alice was probably a protestant, being from Zurich and all).

True, but at the same time, a number of the villains in the series do stem from a Catholic background. I wouldn't say it necessarily shows the church as being evil or good, but of the people we see (that are alive) in the series in relation to it, most are committing evil and/or crazy (James from Koudelka being an exception, but even he's not the most pious). There's also the point that the series didn't try to set it up as "Not-Catholicism" where it's pretty much the same thing but with names replaced, it's outright Catholic and headquartered in the Vatican. And I'm not sure Alice necessarily counts. I mean, clearly she was raised to have similar beliefs as her dad, but at the same time she's not exactly a clergy member, or whatever you'd call the likes of the rest (and honestly, she's a bit of a can of worms in herself, as far as what her existence means in regard to her father's status as priest).

Plus there's also a bonus boss of a flayed Jesus in the SH1, though that game got away with more under an M rating here, and whatever the equivalent of it was in Japan (Covenant meanwhile is rated T / CERO 15; apparently not outright showing blood and gore is enough to drop the rating after the Japanese fanbase whined and Aruze forced Nautilus to lighten things up).

I fucking LOVE tactics ogre god damn thanks for reminding me that I should put in another 100 hours into the game this week

Bump

I don't think the Seraphim is meant to be Christ, it doesn't have a beard or anything. If anything, it just looks like the tradional androgynous angel to me. Doesn't have stimata or any other sacred identifying features either, and Christ is very rarely depicted as winged.

get a job hippie

I don't know, it certainly gave me a "Christ" sort of vibe upon encountering it. Granted, it does have a rather generic sounding name for a boss (I'd be interested in knowing if it was called the same thing in Japan), but at the same time, the visual seems to implicate it as being more. And if you skinned someone, would the face even necessarily retain a beard by the end anyhow?

Polite sage as this has gotten a fair bit off the point of the thread.

play dragon force 1 and 2

That looks cool. I wonder how the saturn emu runs on Vita. Probably like shit.