So what's the deal with this series, I never played the originals

So what's the deal with this series, I never played the originals.

Other urls found in this thread:

stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Gas_mask
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That video thumbnail actually explains it pretty well.

It's S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but prettier, with a nice railroad so you never need to worry about those pesky open worlds.

Alright first person shooters with emphasis on trippy-ass slav stories, very linear as a result but you can somewhat attempt to stealth.

Bombs fell, most slavs died, a few survived hiding in the Moscow metro system, down there they fight each other and mutants and only occasionally go outside because the air is radioactive and there's flying demons around.

It's possibly the best linear FPS to come out in the past decade.
Also very pretty to look at.

The first game was a Spec Ops: The Line-esque statement about shooter games, Last Light was a Kikewood-style sequel that completely fucking missed the point, dumbed the world down and turned every character into a stock Hollywood character, and then they released a dumbed down version of the original game with a lot of the graphical effects missing and then took the non-dumbed down version down from Steam so that people would only be able to get the new, dumbed down version.

So it's a game about visiting any given Russian suburb?

New ones supposedly going to be "open world".

Yeah. There's also ayys or some shit.

Basically. There are also mutants roaming around, and you get to go up to the surface to nuke some ayys as well.

Also, random commies running around as well.

Read the first book.

thats usually implied when you mention russians suburbs

Yeah, so like a Russian suburb.

They seem nazbol to me m80

I think the main draw to the series was the graphics (at the time) and the story/immersion/world whatever. It certainly wasn't the combat, that shit was clunky as fuck. Gameplay itself was lackluster, I wouldn't have wanted to pay money for it.

METRO takes place in a world where the bombs fell and everyone died, save for the people who moved into the metro system in moscow. It was designed to be a bomb shelter on top of moving people around the city.

Fun fact: The writer was inspired by the old fallout games.

They're meant to be Stalinists, so it fits with the meme ideology that is nazbol. They're at war with the new Reich, though.

nazbols and slavnazis? I'll have to play + read this shit now lel

The metro has both hard line commies and nazis.

thanks to WW2, eastern europe has always had nazis, as it was thanks to them that showed the slavs the true enemy: Communism

And Dimitry Glukhovsky, in writing Metro 2033 ~ the book, was inspired by Roadside Picnic, Tarkovsky's Stalker and by the then in development Shadow of Chernobyl, and 4A was originally comprised of former Shadow of Chernobyl developers, and Metro 2033 ~ the game ~ possibly began development as a STALKER spin-off being developed while those developers were still working at GSC Game World, and…

Did you know that Metro 2033 actually has its SDK built directly into the engine? You might be surprised to hear that, since Metro 2033 never got a public SDK release; how that would have had to have happened would have to have been that 4A not just never bothered publicly releasing the SDK for the game, but actually deliberately tore it out of the engine to stop the public from ever being able to make mods for the game.

Original original Metro 2033 was a pretty decent shooter with some stealth and survival elements.
Last Light, or possibly Last Light Redux, was CoDified and shitty. Metro 2033 Redux back-ported the CoD-ed gameplay to the original.

First one was really good and slav' to the core (canon ending is you committing nigger genocide, probably dooming the human race on long term, HOPE IS FOR FAGS), second was pozed by jewmaricans, still had a few nice parts.

Fallout 4 made by slavs

But that's wrong.

also

STALKER 2?

Linear stalker games. Suffers from bulletsponge enemies, sadly.

It's a shame because the Moscow Metro System is hundreds, if not thousands, of tunnels. It could've been very, very open and still highly claustrophobic but the never really ran with it.

The book's okay. It's ending feels rushed, and don't expect them to go too much into depth with the nazis and commies in the first book. In the first one Artyom doesn't meet any friendly nazis (only fights them and is tortured by them) and the only commies he meets are waaay to nice for their situation and come off as a lazy way to push the plot forward more than anything. The game makes you fight both, and you can stealth the segments and knock people out so if you want to kill all the commies and spare the nazis you can, or vica versa if you're one of those kinds of people.

Still, it's an okay book. It's got several dozen other books in the series too, I don't think the original author cares if anyone else contributes to it so dozens of authors have also written into it and some have taken it to other tunnels in Russian and some have taken it outside of Russia all together.

Just looking at the writing style I knew this was going to be (1) thread

METRO is basically an attempt to somehow compete with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
A failed attempt, because both Metro games are pieces of dogshit that run bad, play bad and feel bad. Enemies are bullet sponges and it always forces difficult sessions down your throat to somehow make you feel that you're playing a "difficult hardcore game", when in reality it is as hardcore as call of duty. The only good thing about Metro is the scavenging in order to find ammo.

Now they go open world - openly admitting that they want the Stalker audience, and the fucking normalfags will buy it, and will continue to make "cheeki breeki" jokes that make no sense - since these normalfags never played any of the Stalker games in the first place and only watched abhorrent youtubers like Boris to get 'hyped lmaoooo'.

The industry is dead and not a single good game will come out

Lol, someone's mad.

I've been bad for a decade user. They are killing our games and our hobby.

WHAT IF

WE TOOK STALKER

AND TURNED IT INTO A 100% SCRIPTED LITERAL CORRIDOR SHOOTER LIKE CAWADUDE

GENIUS

*mad

You're a bad boy.

Overdue for a spanking~~

S-stop

its a really linear games but has some strong lore backing it up and also it was more of a showcase game more than anything when it came to graphics, or one could say it showed off really cool tech on the PC that looked next gen.

Kinda like what Kingdom Come will do, it will show awesome graphics on the PC.

read the book.

It's a bretty good series so far.

My only gripe is that we can't join the Reich and cleanse Moscow and the Metro of the commies with them

more gas masks than an electro goth rave, and clunky shooting mechanics or boring shooting mechanics
did stalker have gas-masks?

You little slut

It's an atmospheric, linear shooter with some neat eye candy and weapons. Sadly it's pretty mediocre overall and when you're playing it on the highest difficulty, it's full of bullshit moments. Especially 2034 with it's stupid fucking boss fights.

Is there a full pic somewhere?

Only as a part of a protective suit.

I've never played these games, but somehow i own both of them.
Should i play the first one?
Or just play Last Light?

The first one was given free somewhere years ago, I remember that was how I got it. And I think the second one was in humblebundle or something, I also remember getting it for really cheap. Also play the first one first obviously

Both are mediocre at best. Start with the first one I guess

I miss the time when instead of railroad vs open world dichotomy there were labyrinthine, non-linear levels.

devs working on Metro are the
ORIGINAL STALKER TEAM
that said they will leave after completing it.
Reason why they took more controlled approach was because STALKERs development and engine(nightmare to work with) were a disaster.

Thanks
As payment, here is a woman riding a Llama

Nice shilling, dipshit. How much did they pay you? It's obvious that they're willing to spend a lot of money, judging from the fact that Microshit got to market them for the E3. That pre-rendered "gameplay" must have cost a lot of money too.
Wrong, only some of them are working 4A Games. The team spread out, but many still work for GSC. The fact is, A4 Games are being a bunch of lying fucks just like West Games. We Wuz Stalker devs n' shieeeeet. Most actual GSC developers went to work on Survarium.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was being developed on a new engine. The reason they stopped development was because there was a lack of funding and developers.

that means only the worst people stayed because Survarium is pure trash

I still don't understand why it's playing 28 Days Later music.

Metro has great aesthetic and atmosphere, but the weapons/gunplay is pretty horrendous compared with STALKER, and STALKER's gunplay is honestly pretty simplistic to begin with. I've only played the first Metro, though, so maybe they fixed that in whatever the second game was called.

I liked the increased story presence in Metro, too, and thought it was told fairly competently, and I liked the fairly detailed environments especially in safe areas where people were living.
I really didn't like how fucking linear the game was, though. Coming from a shitload of STALKER, it just felt completely wrong somehow. That's a biased reason to dislike it, but fuck it I'm human and I'm biased.

I know nothing about Metro 2 or Metro (((Exodus))). Maybe there's good there. That'd be nice.

Ah, another corridor simulator masquerading as an open world game. Just like old man Last Light's trailers. If it's going to be linear, it may as well TRY to stick to the book plot for once, but with how 2033 and LL ripped out chunks of the story in favour of VISCERAL COMBAT EXPERIENCES[TM], this is going to follow the same conventions.

I remember enjoying the stealth sequences as the enemies are actually fairly alert, but dumb shit like Bourbon practically shouting about how can string alarms will alert the enemies was retarded.
Nothing really stood out as memorable in either of the games. They had nice atmosphere, but it was really generic. The story was also practically nonexistant because the devs decided the books didn't have enough combat.
So I fail to see how it's "the best" in any way.

first X-RAY is TRASH.
second is designed for CONSOLES.

Man, that trailer is so scripted it's not funny anymore.

How the hell do you do non linear in a game where you literally play in railroads?

Lots of inter-connecting railroad tunnels and stations. Webs of maintenance tunnels connecting them, and below them. Up nearer the surface you have underground malls and underground walkways connecting areas (in Moscow anyway) so pedestrians can keep out of the cold, so those could be used as well to some degree. Also all of the surface environments, for which the only limitation is exposure time and how many filters you can find.

That's a shitload of potential area, and that's no counting all kinds of Soviet-era bomb shelters, political buildings and military installations that would naturally be somehow connected to this network.

They have mentioned they will do all they can to make the open world work with this one.
We will see if they accomplish it.

have you even tried working with X-RAY you stupid fuck,
stick your high mind up your ass

We never mentioned how good or bad X-Ray was, nigger.

hurrr me right because me post right

I wouldn't call "we will see" to be "shilling".
Keeping an open mind and demanding that the evidence be examined before judgement is made is pretty fair, especially if that evidence is examined using a pirated copy of the game.

That said, the previous games can't be completely discarded, so I think it's also fair to say that the chances of a positive outcome are reduced from the outset.

Not an argument

Oh come on, let's be serious here. The first two games were mediocre at best, with linear levels, abhorrent shooting, difficulty spikes and a forgettable story. Then we get an open world Metro with bows, ziplines, trains and sounds/assets that were in the first two previous games. All in a pre-rendered cutscene.

And you actually think that there's a chance that it won't suck

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Checked.
I am hoping for the best. But every time I ever had hopes for a game, it ended up disappointing me and everyone else.

I actually completely agree with you. I'm just saying that evidence should always trump assumption, no matter how much justification you have. The proof is in the pudding - that doesn't mean you should pay for the pudding or even eat the pudding, but you should at least poke it with a stick a couple of times.
Once in a blue moon, something good will happen. I don't think it'll be this case, but I'm not going to completely write it off yet. That's my point, really.

I'd say "hope" is too naive at this point. Accept the possibility, however remote of the best - but keep your bunker stocked and the generator running.

first:
disappointing hl2 clone by ex-stalker devs
second:
really disappointing call of duty clone by less ex-stalker devs
third:
stalker 2 by ex-stalker devs?

I always wanted an "open world" Metro game where you could explore all the tunnels, make your own character, do whatever you wanted. This includes becoming a Stalker to get things from above the tunnels. Not to mention
to let you join one faction or the other, including Hansa, to just do shit. You could advance stuff or not if you want. Not only this but autonomous actors which means your aren't always the arbiter of change. A battle could happen and you could miss it. You could just be a Hansa merchant or convoy guard if that's really what you want to do.

Here's the catch: Perma death. They would also need to refrain from any and all cawadooti forced combat, so unless you're stupid and walk into a den or shoot your guns off near one, you will be fine.

You could also throw a persistent world on top of that so changes you have made in past lives remain, but you start off as a fresh guy.

Oh yeah, no bullet sponges either, or regenerating health. Make cover actually important, and add both leaning and blindfire control options. Bullet to kill you, bullet to kill me, etc. Forces you to play smart in order to live.

Another note, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT ALONE BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT IN FACT A SUPERHUMAN. You can find people to travel with who actually have good AI implemented. Adding cues and commands to tell them to shut the hell up, no guns, yes guns, flank, run, hide, etc.

Rate it, I guess.

I mean, I'm all for that. That all sounds good.
You can basically already get this with the Call of Pripyay stand-alone mod "Call of Chernobyl" plus the Dynamic Faction or Faction Warfare mod, and playing on Ironman or Ironman Azazel mode.

I agree that Stalker and Metro are two different things, though, and that I'd like to see that kind of open-ended gameplay emerge from the Metro series.

I'm the same as OP, but I have the games on my steam account. Should I play in Russian or English? Which has the better voice acting?

Yeah it's pretty shit, started out well enough then fell apart. Worst part was when the author wrote himself in as some kind of magical man…

Yeah, while there is some cahldoti in LL, the atmosphere was just very good above and beyond the first game, making me want that stalker-esque openey world from the metro setting.

Russian is better but it sucks having to always focus on subtitles

It only seems that way because you can't understand it. Same as watching animu with subs.
I can understand a little due to being a remove kebab, and it just feels so cringey to listen to.

Call of Pripyat had them.
stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Gas_mask

Its just russian call of duty with better graphical fidelity.
Its so rail roaded that its painful to play.

I went to bed after I made the post. It's the only trailer I watched from last night that didn't look like utter dogshite and jugding from some of the responses itt, it might actually be worth my time. I'm not a Holla Forums regular, so shoot me.