Why do so many people think that Night of the Raven is better than vanilla Gothic 2...

Why do so many people think that Night of the Raven is better than vanilla Gothic 2? Vanilla is much more polished and planned out. Also, the fact that NotR gives you the best weapon in the game (Claw of Beliar) in chapter 2 makes it feel so cheap. It makes all the mid and endgame weapons useless. I usually quit playing NotR right after I finish the expansion story. I really like the new map and story in NotR and the raised difficulty is a very welcome change but it still doesn't feel nearly as polished as vanilla and therefore not as immersive.

Because its good.

Because it's vanilla except with more content and some loose ends tied. What's not to get? The difficulty felt like it's the kind that punished only if you didn't know what you're doing.

Did you not read my post? It gives you the best weapon in the game in chapter 2. Don't you see a problem with that?

gothic 1 is way better tbh

Most people got Gothic II from GOG or Steam and GOG usually comes with Night of the Raven already attached. Give them the game without Night of the Raven and they'll like the game much better because unlike what this faggot thinks the difficulty of Gothic II was jacked up with the inclusion of the expansion because veterans from Gothic I found it too easy.

There is a mod that rebalances the game, i recomend it if you're playing Night of the Raven.

NotR made it so you had to spend more points to raise your abilities or something right? I hated that change.

It also raised base damage and STR/DEX requirements of nearly all weapons. At higher levels it wouldn't matter, but starting weapons were made weaker while requiring more STR than before. Only magic spells from base game were left untouched.

To quote the OP: did you not read my post or do you just get off from talking out of your ass? The difficulty was upped as an advertised feature and "the expansion" is word-for-word a love letter for the die-hard fans of the game.

First you don't have to keep it and second it scales with the level.

You got less points per level but muh tablets and more permanent stat improvement shit.

NotR was Gothic 2 but harder and with more content.

I did read it and
you didn't say that at all, and I answered his question. "Most people" that played Gothic II =/= die-hard fans of the game, the only reason they'd like Night of the Raven is because they didn't play vanilla without the expansion. Once they play vanilla they tend to turn around and dislike Night of the Raven more because of that difficulty increase since lo and behold they were not veterans to the game.

Then why are you sperging out over me saying the difficulty felt mind you, FELT like it's the kind that punished only if you didn't know what you're doing? Which it does considering all the free shit one can find. The claw for one really obvious and gamebreaking example. It's also worth noting they almost tripled the permanent stat inducing plants one can find

That rebalance garbage you advise though? It's a literal baby mod. Yes, the beginning will be less kidney stone inducing but you'll snowball much harder and way sooner than you'd ever would in the base game. And it's not like G2 held your hand either when you felt ballsy in your leather armor and figured wargs are just a different shade of wolves or how you shouldn't let sleeping shadowbeasts lie.

It doubles the point value you earn to bring it more in line with how much points you got per level before Night of the Raven the overall cost increase of practically everything generally translates to it not being that huge an advantage. The tablets are a significant source but you have to wait until near the the very end to use them otherwise you permanently cripple yourself because of the rising cost of increasing your stats if it wasn't for the fact that the Claw doesn't need strength I'd just outright recommend never going the paladin route in Night of the Raven.

If you're going to sit on a ton of points to pull off some munchin build that's your call and I'm no better but you have no right to bitch over the game being difficult if you're intentionally making it more difficult. Especially on your first run. This isn't Skyrim and you're not meant to plow thru everything with minimal effort or have every single skill maxed out. And the paladin still gets his personal level scaling weapon from the native.

As for the baby mod one would be better off finding the original G2 English release and getting a widescreen patch. They'd also miss out on a ton of content.

Alright, use those tablets as soon as you find them, see what happens. Absolutely none of the things you're implying about me and the way I play game applies I dedicate myself to one stat and used my build accordingly, and without the tablets it's impossible to even wear late game gear in most regards and if you used the tablets as soon as you found them you will mess up your stats and lock yourself out of the highest stat requirements.

Have you even played Night of the Raven with just the points you get leveling up being doubled? None of that shit that you wrote about "slyrim this" and 'you're not supposed to be able maximize all your stats" is applicable or even matters. Literally none of the things you're implying about me or whatever else you're assuming when i say "rebalanced" is applicable. You still have to dedicate yourself to one build and you'll still cripple yourself if you try to generalize.

Believe it or not I did. First time I played the expansion I was pretty pissed off at not having enough points to pull off the "build" I used for that long common route part of the game and still get enough utility skills. So I changed the variable with CE.

And it more or less killed any need to think about the terrain, any escape routes or picking my fights by CH2 and decent gear. When I got ore tier gear, faction heavy armor and a decent stash of consumables I reaped thru orcs in a way that might as well be with the marvin mode on. Must've been the claw I said and the mage I tried next proved even more effective, taking three-four less fireballs on average then I needed in G2 at that point but still managing to keep a decent weapon skill and survivability. Then I tried a merc with regular skill gain and he still broke the game. Didn't even use the claw And what happens when you use a stat increasing item is that you increase your statsmindblowing, I know

But seriously, if you got a point how about you make it? One second it's about muh newfags that can't handle the game notorious for newfags not handling the game and the next it's about short term vs long term meta. If you're a newfag you don't meta and if you're a munchkin you really should appreciate all the ways to tip the balance in your favor without resorting to cheating. Be it free items, free armors or free skill gains both from items and you did me a solid so I'll train you events.

It's also worth noting that the Claw doesn't improve with your STR/DEX like certain other weapons do or that its base damage at tier 20 is still lower than plenty of other end-game weapons that don't require permanent HP sacrifices. Hell, it's technically outclassed by comparable every class friendly weapons throughout the entire game.

The bonus true damage is obviously what makes it worthwhile but that's still only 50% at max weapon level.

WHERE'S THE TORRENT YOU FUCKUING FAGGOTS?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think i never played Night of the Raven

Played Gothic 1 and 2 way before Holla Forumstumblr tought it was cool

The game makes no distinction between points gained between skill point investments, boosting points by stat items, or wearing equipment temporarily boosting your stats, as a result the LP will increase ensuring that if you don't wait then you will never get the str needed for weapons like the Dragon Slicer without heavily investing .

half of those ways requires either experience of playing the game already or cheating by looking up a walkthrough, the other half is already cheating but since the devs didn't stamp those methods out it's "dev approved" cheating or exploiting bugs they couldn't get rid of. Like sneaking up on Shadowbeasts or kiting certain enemies into water where they freeze in place. But then again it's not like in Gothic 1 where you can tame a Shadowbeast to stay in place half leaping towards you while getting hits into it.

Vanilla gothic 2 is fucking broken. You get enough health items to drown in them and every weapon is buffed up. Also you can't get the claw of beliar as a mage and being a mage is better in the long run.

Half of what ways? You play the game and you naturally add to either STR or DEX and a weapon of choice or magefag. Also pick some utility skills when you get a chance. That's it. And if you try meme builds without knowing what you're doing that's your fault.

But I don't understand how you can claim with a straight face that one can't reach at least 160 STR by the end of the game without resorting to cheating. More so since NOTR has a higher level cap and more powerful stat boosting means. Seriously, if you suck you suck. But don't sugarcoat it.

no shit
If you have trouble making your own characters there was a step by step guide to get the dragon slicer as soon as you can buy it made for dumb fucks like you.