Collector/Buyfag Thread

Just under halfway through June now anons, the fuck have you been picking up since the last thread?

What are you

You're keeping everything neat and tidy as well anons? No disc rot on your Saturn or PS1 games now, is there?

haha

recently cleaned up a JVC X'Eye at my shop, working beautifully and it looks great too.

Replacement bluray drive for my PS3, as it currently sucks at ejecting discs.
Half-assedly looking for an Amiga 500 and some sort of jiggery-pokery to rig it up to a TV or capture card. Universal RGB to component adapters exist, thankfully.
NEVER.

2nd pic is that a loli in the corner..?

Haven't found a whole lot to buy lately that was at a good price, that I was interested in, and didn't already have, but it's been a bit better than the dry spell the last few months. Did pick up a complete copy of DKCR for $6 (was priced at $12, but got half off with store points) since I'd been waiting until I could find a cheap copy, as well as Persona 5 for $40. Main concern with the latter being that with Sony working to phase out PS3 releases (and succeeding with certain companies in a number of cases, though XSEED and and Atlus have seemed somewhat resilient compared to Bamco and TK), I'm not sure whether the PS3 version will get hard to find down the line if they opt to only do an inevitable reprint for the PS4 version. While Atlus has been decent enough to do reprints for games on then-outdated systems (such as all the PS2 SMTs and Personas, as well as select DS games), those were all only on single systems originally. I'm not entirely sure how they might handle doing so for a game that was on both and earlier and later incarnation of [X] company's (in this case, Sony's) systems, especially when the push has clearly been to entice people with the older system to adopt the newer one. Anyhow, it's not like I don't have enough to keep me occupied for quite a while anyhow, though I am keeping a loose eye out in case Gravity Rush Remastered shows up locally. No PS4 here yet (and it will remain that way until I find enough reason to get one), but I'm not going to pass the game up if I see it cheap (given what I hear it tends to go for, which is a cost I'd rather avoid if still possible to find a physical one), and I wouldn't put it past the local multimedia chain to mistakenly price it cheap, which they do for otherwise pricy games and shows every so often.

Not vidya, but also picked up complete DVD sets for One Punch Man ($16) and Gun X Sword ($7; employee I asked about the price speculated whoever handled the prior trade in of it rang it up as a single volume of the show rather than the whole thing; going off individual volume prices, it would have been at least $84 if buying the series volume by volume instead).

On a related note, went to visit some family some states away last month and took a look in at some of the local vidya stores out there during my trip. Might just be the change in people between here and there and what they're willing to pay, but it seemed absurd what prices they ask for games there compared to here, like .hack//G.U. Vol.3 at one place for a whopping $90 when last I saw it down here it was a good $20-30 cheaper, even for a complete copy. Still happy I got mine for $10 a few years back in a pricing fuck up. Fun subseries of gams, but not worth dropping the ridiculous prices that people tend to ask (even more so for IMOQ).

So is that thing just an off-brand Genesis/SCD player or something? Just curious, as I haven't heard of that particular make before

Haven't bought anything in 7 months
Town has been completely looted from anything interesting, only solution is going countryside or web-scalping
All prices went up too, what's going on?

Various companies were licensing the hardware to produce their own boutique style versions, such as the Sharp Twin Famicom (combined Famicom and FDS), and the JVC Wondermega, the second iteration of this was remodeled into the X'Eye.

Hipsterpocalypse is still going on. From when retards first got web access in 2007 with the iPhone that mommy bought them, they've been burning their trust funds on "retro" games that they either let collect dust, or they destroy with their idiocy. Since they have no concept of the value of a dollar, they spend stupid sums with their lack of impulse control, and honestly, who wouldn't want to take advantage of someone willing to pay a king's ransom for any old crap? If someone offered me $200 for my boxed and complete copy of Final Fantasy, I'd sell it, because I already beat the game decades ago, and I never even look at it anymore.

Prices on most older system's libraries have been on the rise where I live for a while, albeit some slower than others (for instance, much of the PS2 library is still reasonable, and the Xbox is downright cheap barring a few games, compared to how pricy Gamecube games, both exclusive and multiplat, can get to). A lot of stores also just use ebay and Amazon to figure out what to price things at, regardless of if it sold for that or not. And online is a total crapshoot; I stand a much better chance of getting something reasonably cheap locally with some patience than I do buying online, to the point these days I rarely buy preowned games online anyhow (usually just if I can't find something in good shape locally for quite a while).

The better stores here (and there's admittedly not many) use the low end of Amazon as a base, and then work the price even lower still (one small chain has figured out the "surprising" notion that lower prices make a happy customer, and a happy customer is more likely to be a repeat customer, and thus both sides benefit from lower-than-internet prices). Meanwhile, the local multimedia chain I check every week or so manages to be bafflingly both really good and really bad at the same time, as they seem to price games (and anime) on a whim, so you get otherwise expensive stuff going dirt cheap (like .hack//G.U. Vol.3 up there in the above post), while other games are priced MUCH higher than elsewhere around here (especially odd when its a game with little demand for and just rots on the shelf).

Also the hipster issue as mentioned. Dumbass hipsters with zero patience to wait for better prices and too much free-to-spend money buying up older shit (probably a lot of which they played when younger and wan to go back to? Though I've actually seen some people at stores hunting for [X], [Y], and [Z games] simply for the "hipster cred" they'd get for owning it), and scalpers that keep trying to push the border of how much they can get the former to pay without complaining.

My recommendation is that if you're weighing whether or not to pay hipster prices for even one game for a system, INSTEAD invest in some sort of SD-card-solution for it, like the Rhea board for the Saturn, which replaces the CDROM drive with an SD card slot (great for a Saturn that can't read discs, or has cosmetic issues), or flash carts like the Everdrive series and the SD2SNES. That way you can play everything without wearing out your system, and you can still buy the actual games you want to actually own. Of course, the newer you go, the only incentive you have for buying games is to get the few that actually come in physical form.

Save the big money for hardware, add-ons, controllers, and other physical stuff like say, the Bluetooth data transceiver for the Saturn, an FM sound mod for the Master System, or whatever else the future may hold.

Main issue I have with the SD2SNES is the cost to merely acquire one, but even then it's still a lot less than trying to get a lot of SNES carts for worthwhile, popular games that now go for a lot (some of which go for more than that flash cart itself does; I seem to remember Hagane being a good $400-500 last I checked).

I like having copies of games I enjoy, but the SNES' library being so expensive, and combined with the amount of fan-translated games (where a legit English cart doesn't exist; fuck paying $50 per patched repro cart like some stores here ask), I haven't bothered to work on picking games up for it.

SD2SNES is great, but be aware it cannot run games that use Super FX or SA1 chips. There aren't many games that use them but most of the SA1 games are fairly expensive.

There a list around for what fall under both?

Yeah, I still only have a chipped PSX, chipped Saturn, and Everdrives for the NES, TG16, and the Mega Everdrive v1. I can't say that I was enamored quite as much with the SNES and N64, or even the handheld systems as a kid, so I'm not chomping at the bit to get flash carts for anything else just yet. Well, I want the Harmony cart for the 2600, but I'm not dying to get it just yet. Yeah, the SN2SNES costs stupid money, so you'd best be a diehard fan of the SNES to get one. My SNES collection is kinda' lopsided, as it came from yardsales and lots from friends about fifteen years ago. Not pictured: Super Metroid.

My primary collection target is things like multitaps, link cables, mice, and other stuff for game systems that falls outside of the norm. I gave up on shit like the 3DO Blaster, Saturn COMMS Link card, and other PC-specific game system hardware, due to people wanting half a grand for a fucking ISA card that isn't even used for milling titanium bulkheads for the F-22. I've also been running into difficulty acquiring case for games. Even simple jewel cases for PlayStation games and such. I even bought a case of random DVD cases just to get some green cases for my Xbox collection that was living ignominiously on a spindle.

Don't need to fucking tell me twice about them destroying shit with their idiocy. Had a box copy of Clayfighter 63 1/3 Sculptor's Cut on sale at some hipster retro boutique, with the price written on the goddamn box in Black Permanent marker. When I asked him why he did it he just said "Well it's the cartridge that's collectible".
Fuck hipsters, almost every find in my town is either snapped up by rich dumbfucks or ruined by mishandling by said hipster dumbfucks.

You can sometimes remove permanent marker with a dry-erase marker. Just scribble over the permanent markings, and wipe it off with a rag or paper towel. On OLD markings, you'll often be left with a faint purple-ish stain, and sometimes it's barely effective on marker written even on glossy paper. I've used this to get ballpoint pen ink out of a GBA game's label, but the damage to the label from the tip of the pen still remained. Eh.

I don't really get the appeal of collecting. Aren't emulators pretty accurate these days?

It's all down to personal preference. I prefer playing the games on the actual hardware, so I don't have to deal with the input lag that USB adapters bring to the table, and inaccurate display rendering. I prefer the original controllers (except in the case of any system compatible with Genesis controllers), and the design and engineering of the systems is fascinating to me.

Thanks man, I'll try that. I still bought it, but it fucking enrages me how little of a fuck these people give about caring for their shit. Some of it is incredibly goddamn rare.
Probably the worst one I've seen was back in the early 2000s when the "retro" craze was at its peek, I saw some hipster cunt who made a necklace out of megadrive carts. Cunt had hollowed out carts to use as a necklace. They were mostly some ubiquitous shit like Sonic and Altered Beast, but the motherfucker hollowed out a copy of The Wily Wars to put on a goddamn necklace. Fuck hipsters.

I waited till last November, and got one for cheap during holiday sales. The games have been very cheap to collect and somewhat plentiful in my area at least. I have enjoyed it a lot more than I though. Some design choices and pay to play online turn me off a bit, but I don't play online anyway so I refuse to give money to sony for that.

It's a distraction for the farm animals while the organized with power sow chaos to destroy their surroundings for their own benefit.

Such are the travails of those who have had to choose between needs, those who know the hard-won value of an honest day's pay. I see people abusing vehicles in the same light. The "Cash for Clunkers" program pissed me off something fierce. Imagine how many people are held back because they don't own a car, and then the government gives wealthy people a pittance for working vehicles that they just didn't want, instead of repairing them and providing them to families and individuals in need of transportation, in order to get a job. No, the left wants to keep the poor voting Democrat, so they tie them with the noose of government assistance, so that without it, they cannot leap the gap between living on the dole, and working for a living. This is also why single motherhood is lauded as heroic, when it should be avoided. Single mothers typically raise shitbag kids, who in turn become legitimately deadbeat dads, or single mothers. The cycle keeps turning, and more and more people can be convinced to vote for the left. In a world where vices are advertised as virtues, wholesomeness is counter-culture. The decent person is the rebel.

More like a handbrake to keep from initiating a false start. Collecting video game and computer stuff is my secondary hobby, but the only one I can speak of without reserve.

So, how about those vidya games?

What really rustles my jimmies is the vast acres of unsold cars just sitting around. Imagine how many people could get a nice jumpstart with some sort of working vehicle.

Anyway, does anyone wanna see a specific system collection? My pride and joy is my PS1 and PS2 collection.

Anything is nice. Here are some pics I took for the Retro Consoles Wiki, which is idunnowtf at the moment.

PS1 dump

hehehe

I should perhaps organize my collection and photograph it. It's been a long time since I bothered to do something like that, and I don't have a good portion of these games anymore, as I gave them to friends with my spare systems.

I love it when the selected file doesn't upload, but the post still goes through.

Would love to see it if you get the chance to post.

Nice, I gave up on collecting NES/SNES/N64 stuff at the moment, since even cart only is so expensive right now.

omega boos is excellent. do you have a saturn collection?

Yes, albeit a very small collection. Also added Dreamcast as well since its so small.

Yeah, I'm not trying to directly call it "NOGAEMS4" or anything, just that I haven't found enough to warrant a purchase of it just yet. Also, it might just be me, but I really, really don't get how it managed to sell so well at launch. Or any system at launch, really. There is little point in buying a newly released system for a small handful of launch titles and the promise of more worthwhile games in the future (which may or may not be made good on), yet plenty of people apparently disagree with that notion. I'd rather buy further down the line when the system is cheaper, the games are likely cheaper, and the library better established with games I'd enjoy.

Alphabetize your shit.

Very nice. Like seeing Wild Arms 1 and 2, Tales of Destiny and Eternia, and Koudelka, amongst other things. I keep putting off updating images of my own shelves.

Do hope you haven't had to spend crazy amount of money on that though. I got my copy of Koudelka for $12 complete; I like the game, but I don't think I'd feel that it was a good purchase had I bought it at average asking prices at the time.

Nah, I have my own sorting methods. I like to put rpgs together, fps, platformers, etc.

I believe I paid around $25 online for it years ago.

The sole purpose of this board is to shit on things I don't like. Because others do the same.

No sane person will go into a thread about the game they like on Holla Forums.

This place exists solely to shit on stuff.

Stop making threads about video games you fucking virgin. Go outside. Talk to a cunt. Get laid. Stop being a fucking worthless loser. Become Chad.

sad lack of panzer dragoon, very cool stuff either way! Keep it up, Saturn's a bitch to collect for in the US.

Here's a new CRT I got recently. 17" flat aperture grille, up to 1080i, I have the RGB board, y/c/c board, and an hd-sdi board too. RGB/comp board is technically the JVC one but it's the same exact thing so…

I do. They're just not made very often as the games I tend to play and enjoy are from now years/decade dead series and as such have little reason for discussion to crop up these days. And, perhaps this is just me, but I figure that making threads for them myself would sadly be of less interest to most anons than yet another generic shitpost thread that can sit at page 1 until it quickly hits bump limit.

These days it's up to about $45-50 where I am. Around the same level that Shadow Hearts 1 is at where I live (even after SH1 having multiple reprints, though to my knowledge each print was still pretty small; pretty cool that Midway outright gave away copies of it as a preorder bonus for Covenant, if what I've read on the release was true).

Honestly not real sure what the justification for that price on Koudelka is, really.While I found it good, it's pretty damn hit or miss and from what I've read, it seems reviewers at the time were quite harsh on it, so I don't expect it has a lot of demand to justify the price (unlike how the PS2 games are considered to have better gameplay, and generally have had more favorable, if still niche reception to drive the occasional new player to them). No PSN rereleases of the PS2 games either that could spike demand either.

is 8ch breaking

I may try to get Zwei someday, I have Orta for the Original Xbox. I've already come to terms with never owning Saga, just way too expensive. Also, the thing with Saga is its the one game that tryhards on youtube boast the most about owning, like they're true connoisseurs because they dropped hundreds of dollars on one game.

Dang you're right, ebay has some listings over a hundred dollars now. That game is definitely not worth over $30 at most.

get the first and zwei, absolutely. saga isn't a must-own considering its rarity (30k english copies across europe and america lol) but it is definitely a must play. It's got some of the best game play of any RPG, ever.

Especially since it plays better without using the discs anyhow. I remember comparing the amount of loading for animations and such that it had to do (combat being notorious for despawning every character and monster but the caster and target when it comes to spells, and then having to reload them after casting) between my PS1 discs and an eboot on my PSP, and the eboot felt like it had noticeably less. Admittedly I was playing the discs via a fat PS2's backwards compatibility, and the PS2 run through a universal selector before reaching the TV, if that might factor in, .

I wasn't aware that it was managing $100+ online these days though. Absolutely absurd as, again, there's no real demand for it, no event to prompt a sudden spike demand, and I wager even most Shadow Hearts fans have avoided bothering with that game. Just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, people are stupid, and I still remember some years back how the likes of FFVII could command a $50+ price tag despite being a game selling more than well enough for a Greatest Hits rerelease.

I bought a game boy printer recently, also one of the clear blue N64 pads from the late translucent series, and the collector's limited edition of Prey since I hear that was a good game.

Selling shit like manuals, games I only had to collect instead of to play, and working on eventually selling my wii collection and maybe my gamecube collection as well.

Some of my multiplayer-facilitating stuff (though I almost never have the opportunity to play anything via local multiplayer), and my 486 running Monkey Island. I am in need of more desks and shelves, as most of my stuff is standing in stacks all around the office. Assholes on craigslist want over a hundred bucks for a beat to shit particle board desk, so I guess I'll have to raid yardsales when I can get weekends off.

Mixed up my photo selection. Meh.

And I'm still leaving out the picture I mentioned in detail. Brilliant.

One thing I never see mentioned enough about Castlevania: Bloodlines is that Fuckin' soundtrack. Holy Smoke, it's Kick-Ass!

And just like that, all Metroid Prime games went up in price, especially 3 and Collection

Good thing I have a modded Wii. I'll probably never own 1 physically, though.

Prime 1 is the easiest one to find, hell i even gifted one in complete condition
At least in the Americas, i dont know in Yurop

the only one worth shit is the prime-wind waker combo.

don't buy nintendo games, they are common as fuck and you can get them piss cheap at any yard sale. nintendo tax is a scam and they're kind of like having a wall of bronze medals compared to pretty much any other classic system.

Preaching to the choir there, mister
I asked if i ever saw one again, they ARE cheap when seen on desperate men, and i have some trading goods from time to time

The first game is quite easy to find and (until now) was pretty damn cheap for a main Nintendo franchise Gamecube game. Chances are you could still find it rather cheaply at a second hand store, as those might not be prone to immediately bumping prices up to match demand (for example, I managed to get a copy of Chibi Robo for $9 at a local store, at the same time as, and despite, the average price at that point having been roughly $70 online).

As for OP
Laserdiscs. (They're the next hipster tech, prices have doubled since I started buying them)
Sega Saturn accessories
Trash movie posters
CEDs
Sega Saturn (it functions, but nothing wow-worthy, and I only have a third-party controller)
Xbox One S

get japanese saturn stunners or japanese accessories in general. they look better and are cheaper.