Why do open world games get so much flack around here...

Why do open world games get so much flack around here? There is literally nothing wrong with casual open world games where you can just explore a large environment and enjoy the scenery. What I find especially impressive in Breath of the Wild is that EVERY SINGLE geographic landmark has a name. Not only can you climb a particular mountain, you can also check your map so see what that mountains name is. Even the individual plains have names. I don't think there's a single open world that goes this much into detail. Here I walk from Salari Plain to the Rowan plains to Mount Drena to the West Deplian Badlands and that's all from one part of the map. I mean fuck even the temperature changes with elevation above sea level as it would in real life and this effects the entire game world uniformly.

Are there any other open world games that go this much into autism with the games world?

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarly.com/blog/is-stupider-a-word/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lurk moar and find out by reading posts and evaluating the opinions and arguments made over the course of several years.
Optionally kill yourself.

Wow the locations have names nice gameplay

I got it for free on CEMU tbh

There is literally nothing wrong with appreciating attention to detail

no it doesn't
it doesn't even have jungles

Holla Forums is not one person, there are 2k average on here, and there are at least 100 loud people for each side of whether a game is good or bad, whether they have shit taste, are paid, or are honest.

This thread is just to post your opinion that you think is superior, TL;DR. breath of the wild is good. Its nice that they put so much effort into this game, like adding puddles when it rains.

Yes it does. The Faron region is mainly Jungle and its mainly to the south near the Akkala Sea

where's the animals?
see it's not a jungle, it's more of a place that resembles a jungle.

Fuck I meant the Necluda sea.

Lets be honest with ourselves. Most open world games today are either sandboxes or RPGs/RPG-likes where the main objective quite literally is "walking around"

What is detail if there is nothing to detail? Admittedly, BOTW isnt the worst open world game, but there is alot that could be better about it, but its so big it becomes meaningless. About 2 hours in you stop focusing on the scenery and detail and start running to the next objective or shrine, and thats most of the gameplay right there. Other zelda games had actual puzzles.in between places, but BOTW has all the puzzles sprinked about as koroks and shrines, but they dont flow too well in exploration. The shrines felt too detracted from the game world. You get whiplash going from shrine to overworld. Botw needed more puzzles that blended in with the overworld that werent little korok puzzles. What detail there is in BOTW thus becomes meaningless if all you have is detail and no gameplay, but in shrines its the opposite with all gameplay, and no detail. The 2 needed to be blended together to make a good zelda game, with shrines that worked with the envronment, not against it. Have shrines be caves, or forests, like the island in the top right corner, or the blind forest. Have the detail be in the gameplay, not as little collectables and pointless item pickups that are obsolete as soon as you get them.

and those games arent "open world"

There's literally wildlife everywhere if you look. Most animals are best observed from a distance however

Oh I agree, the copy-paste dungeons are fucking bullshit and were clearly afterthoughts. Which is a shame because Zelda is famous for having distinct dungeons and they just threw that shit away this time. Its not a Zelda game, that's for sure.

nice game, i thought doom was a joke but this is a bigger joke

Hating bethesda games is the shortcut to getting pats on the back. This must make open world games bad by nature.
That's all there is to it really, herd instincts.

I wanted more of that island place, or that dark forest. BOTW has such a big, and good, open world they did nothing with. I wanted to explore that ruins and have it actually be a dungeon in itself instead of just a way to get to the base of that mountain. I wanted to go to lake hylia and find a dungeon underwater. I wanted to go trekking in the middle of the desert and find a dungeon in the middle of the statues. I wanted to go to death mountain and find a fuck huge temple dungeon and a dungeon inside the volcano. There are so many wasted oppertunities.

Which suck too, but from another reasons.
minus grinding for {insert name of thing here}
graphics switch don't work

What's your definition of open world? Too me a game isn't truly open world if there are any load points at all aside from interiors

That's not true at all. In fact you can see entire heards of animals in fields of goats, horses, buffalo, and foxes, and wolf packs can be as many as 5 or more. I just didn't capture it in my screens

Thank fuck I'm not the only one who thinks BotW feels like an offline version of WoW. Its almost like Nintendo took some of Azeroths world designers and put them to work here. Minus the retarded patchwork bubble design that was do to technical limitations back then

But i have the same problem with bethesda games. All detail lol nothing to detail. All skyrim dungeons are just a big circle or a linear dungeon, and i mean like straight line linear. There really was no effort in any of the dungeons at all, even though theyre everywhere. All actual combat was dumbed down to the point of mashing attack to win. No detail in either the combat or dungeons, so you're only left with exploring the even more barren overworld. Overall skyrim is a big joke. Even oblivion had like 2 ok dungeons that i liked. I literally cant remember a single dungeon vividly from skyrim.

That's all open world games are. They give you a large place to play around in, but don't put anything interesting in there because they spent all that time handcrafting the balls on the statue in the ass end of the world.

Because nine time out of ten an open world game isn't MORE of what you like about a game. It's just spread out across a wider distance.

If they had just shrunk BOTW's map and added in a bunch of substancial dungeons that are unique it would be GOTY.

Intelligent, minimalist design will always be superior to careless, bloated design.

Lrn2game design, retard.

IDK man, if there's an open world game, it really has to have things to do.
So what if the view is spectacular? I could easily just go out of my room and drive around and see a lot more beautiful stuff without jaggies and shit. Look at Arkham City. It's a sandbox, but I don't think people went into every square inch of the game for the view.. and even if they did explore, it was for the collectibles.
Skyrim, Morrowind and FO games tried to add interesting and random locations and events, but they can only bring a game so far until you've seen them all and get tired of the repeating digits stuff.

Open-world has become such a gimmick that everything else suffers just to cater to open-world fanatics: Story, gameplay, graphics.
Although, some games do make it fun, when it's the focus, or when it's autistic sims. Terraria was fun and so was X3, but how others implemented it was just… really bad.

One thing you can give Zelda credit for is that its essentially Skyrim if Skyrim wasn't total shit with a terribly uninteresting single-biome world. but that's not saying much. BotWs copy-and-paste dungeons might as well be Skyrims copy-and-paste tunnel dungeons

There's some ATTEMPT to complexity in BotW though with some of the mechanics. For example, the weather has a tangible effect on the world, rain makes climbing harder and lightning can fucking kill you and start wild fires. there's a temperature system where you need different gear wither its too hot or cold. Hell, the fucking wind blows in different directions and this can affect your gliding AND gibs on the floor dropped by enemies will actually blow accross the ground in the direction of the wind. There IS an attempt at depth there. Its just not properly fleshed out. This isn't even mentioning the megnesis and shit

Nothing in your post sounds the least bit human op.

Atleast BOTW had fun small dungeons. I cant say the same for skyrim. I just wish those shrines blended in with the world. I want caves, and forests, and somthing other than the same shrine aesthetic over and over.

Except instead of dungeons just being halls full of enemies (which probably have more variety at least in how you approach them in BOTW), they ALSO have puzzles, which may be samey but it's still more variety than skyrim had.

What are you talking about user? Skyrim had puzzles! ;^)

Because Open World games are marketed as a world of adventure YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. But then devs make them too big and full of nothing. Look at MGSV, every trailer was full of fucking lies, "See those dogs you can poop on them" then on the games released there's a maximum of two dogs lying around and never move outside of their tiny zone.

Games like Yakuza do "open world" right where they condense everything to a section of a city and fill it to the brim with stuff to do.

you know what's really funny? I didn't actually figure that out properly the first time I played, until I had already unlocked pretty much all the doors. It's easy to brute force (only 27 combinations). I really expected the solution to have something to do with the murals and had no idea it was just written on the claw.

I was disappointing as fuck when GTA V had fuck-all interiors to go into like Rockstar had fucking hyped early on. Even with mods to unlock the story-specific interiors there's still fuck all to do.

I just looked at the claw by chance after like 30 minutes of pacing around trying to figure out if there was a fucking trick to the fucking door I just wasn't getting. Its just tedium

Like I said, I would just stare at the murals for a few minutes, make some guesses, and then ultimately just brute force it. Average of 14 attempts per door only takes like 2 minutes tops

You couldn't even walk into fucking hospitals anymore in GTAV it's a joke

(checked)
Same here. I was stuck on the puzzle until I realized you could rotate items in your inventory. I felt like an idiot. I even gave it to my 8 yearold brother and he figured it out in less than 5 seconds. What a joke.

Its one of those "its so simple it cant be the solution" puzzles.

Skyrim's a great case study in terrible game design. To get at the interesting part of a book in game, you use the item in your inventory, to equip armour/weapons/spells you use them in the inventory/spell menu, to get the answer to those puzzles, you rotate an item's model in your inventory. At no other point in the game is looking at the model in your inventory used.

This is what I don't like about puzzle games in general (and why I don't like the rest of the zelda series). Usually, it's easy as hell. Once in a while you simply don't make the right leap of logic, and no matter how easy the puzzle is you just get stuck. In skyrim brute force (literally trying every possible combination until one works) is possible, but in most puzzle games that approach isn't feasible if it is even possible, so you just get stuck. Since most puzzle games hinge on passing each individual puzzle in order to unlock the next set, getting stuck on just one puzzle like that effectively ends the game.

BOTW's structure fixes that problem. If you ever get stuck on something, you can probably just skip it and go somewhere else instead. You never HAVE to come back unless you are going for 100% or it just happens to be something essential, which I don't think there are many of.

even skyrim had a name for every area, it's not unique to give an area a stylized logo that pops up either.

Notice how you're arguing over the fucking font instead of the actual gameplay.

I never said a fucking thing about fucking names.

It's fucking skyrim with gay elf protag. Why it is so overrated?

It actually manages to be enjoyable to play despite its scope rather than because of it.

I haven't played BOTW but from what I've seen of it the gameplay isn't exactly riveting. In a cold area? Put on warm clothes. In a hot area? take off warm clothes. Having to go into the menu every time you change areas just so you can put on a different outfit isn't game of the year stuff.
Also a decent physics engine isn't a gameplay mechanic. Who cares if the wind moves gibs around? And the wind changing your glide has been a thing since windwaker.

Because nintentards have been craving zelda since 2011

No

ADHD riddles spaz anons don't like them because there isn't something jumping out at them every ten seconds. An open world that's big with some dead space is 'empty', an open world populated with a lot of distractions is a checklist piece of shit, etc;

Holla Forums hates all games, and all genres of games. But only because the people who like a certain type of game don't feel the need to obsessively whine about it like someone who doesn't does.

so it's actually worth playing.

It's strange. I play this game and I understand mechanically it's a big map with various things plopped down, that it's seems to feel artificial yet I just can't seem to care. Something about how it does it pushes the buttons; I think it's because the movement is so good. I've tried other third person games since and I automatically start running to walls to climb them, the shield surfing is fun and as others have mentioned, there's little attentions to detail like the temperature, rain, ect, affecting things. For example, if you carry a fiery sword it works as a torch and helps heat you up. If you use that same sword on an icy enemy you one shot them. The dungeons/shrines are way too short, I really feel they could have got more mileage out of them and the only point you really get something like that is in the final assault on the castle, where you wander and unlock backtracking routes and stuff.

Nigga calm down

But can't you be a gay elf in skyrim too?

Sounds like you should try those Asscreed games, chances are you'll like them.

not a cute gay elf.

mods

That may be cute enough for you but not for me.
Gaijins are going to have to work a lot harder if they want to meet my expectations.

Oh my god, nintendo outdid themselves

no explanation?

They were really close with making the dungeons good again, and random. But i think they had the idea of puzzle dungeons early on in there development cycle and didnt think to rehash that out once people got away from wanting that sort of thing, since this was beginning to be made when Portal 2 was popular.

That's what I thought until I kept catching on fire, even with heat-resist shit. Turns out I needed fire-resist shit, who knew?

This might be an odd question. What game has the PERFECT sized open world then?

One possible contender I can think of is _Bully_

Doesn't look twinky enough.

That depends on the means of transportation at your disposal. With a horse to ride, like in Two Worlds for example, the world can be larger without becoming tedious.

*tedious to traverse.

Red Dead Redemption without a doubt

According to that chart, CoD has to be hardcore as fuck.

Vice City.

An open world needs to be detailed, breathtaking and feel alive. If it lacks any of the three, it will suck.
I don't a world with textures and assets that looks like a ps2 game and I don't want a world where it is dead except for the few cities here and there. I want a beautiful, alive and interesting one.
Kill yourself if you're that autistic. Hardware at this point is not what stops us from developing something that big. What stops us is the toxic and worthless AAA industry. Everyone tries to maximize profit and only works for shekels, rather than doing it because he loves video games. Until we get rid of all this talentless cancer that has infested the industry, we will never get a proper open world game.

The problem i have with open worlds is that half the time i'm playing i just end up travelling. It's just filler to waste my time.

The second i get fast travel i won't be travelling by foot or horse or car or whatever anymore.

The world design and exploration are literally the best things Breath of the Wild does. The puzzles are the same as in other Zelda games, perhaps nostalgia blinds some people but no Zelda ever that complex or particularly good puzzles, they are creative and makes you feel intelligent but in the end they are quite easy and straight foward and there's literally no difference in BotW. The dungeons are also a nice idea, sure they are short, but it doesn't really affect their design at all, I think most people don't like them because they aren't themed.

You people fail to see the flaws of this game, I'll never understand why they always talk about the world, the dungeons, the puzzles or the explorations, those are all things BotW does right. The real flaws are the pathetic enemy variations, the limited weapons movesets, the lack of superbosses troughout the world, the lack of extra dungeons, lack of good rewards and how easy the game is.

Fortunately they can fix all that in a sequence, instead of focusing mostly on the world design they could have created more different enemies, include more weapon diversity, put some superbosses that aren't all Silver Lynels, put things like the Amiibo's items and armors in the game as rewards for completing certain things and nerfed the food, champions' abilities and armors upgrades. Breath of the Wild is definitely not a perfect game, but it is a perfect base game in which to expand on with a sequence.

Why does this guy keep using "literally"?

Underage faggot with mental issues and shit tastes in vidya. That would explain why

Also what's up with vidya graphics nowadays? It's all muddy textures and blurred image quality with some kind of white faded out tint. What the fuck? Games are meant to be colorful and have crystal-clear image quality and textures.

Consoles.
Something like Jedi Outcast have higher resolution textures than PS3 could ever handle.
And since 2007 everything is homogenized, you'll only see textures go as high as the current consoles allow.

I highly doubt that, since there is no noticeable difference between the Xbox version and the PC.

The main thing is it has to be interesting to travel through. If the movement sucks, then it's gonna be a shit open world game regardless.

I just want games to be breathtaking again user. Am I asking too much?
With the technology we have today, even an indie studio can have access to photoscanning.

1: Lrn 2 bate fegt
2: You'll notice I didn't say that all games fit on the red line, but that the red line is the trend in modern vidya games. a game CAN be simple AND small (I.E. pong) or large AND complex/good (I.E. phantom pain IMO)

Because muh gritty realism. You'll also notice that any game that DOESN'T go for muh gritty realisim, is basically a pixar film. That's because these 2 options are the least likely to turn people off of a product. And since gaming has become a massive and highly saturated market, companies are just looking for a safe bet to make some cash. It's the same reason all movies are either 2deep4u political trash, or super hero movies.

The problem is that most indie devs are either lazy or incompetent, that's why most of them go for the "SNES graphics", but cheer up user, now it's fashionable to do "PS1/PS2 graphics" like YIIK.

What difference can you possible notice running game at sub-480p lol

You can only rely on art style, not the technology. While emulating because of far camera and high density of shit Xenoblade X actually managed to look pretty impressive for me, but once you zoom in magic fades. Ditto for Dark Souls 3.

I am ok with this
I want to die.

Stupid sexy Link.

I was thinking about getting this for wii u. Is there else anything worth buying for it before it goes the way of the dodo?

Is this the same guy making this same thread every week?

Why was BOTW's jungle area so underutilized? Every other area has a decent number of shrines and sidequests that involve it, but the Jungle is comparatively empty.

Way to discredit yourself

I did the same thing. I stared at the walls for a minute and kept trying to compare them to the door. After a bit I remembered the damn claw. I felt like an idiot.

holy shit look at all that area you can walk and…. oh wait walking is all you do in 80% of the map. If you are lucky that area spawns random MPC's

Probably too taxing.

Nintendo was onto something with the climbing and glinding. They just need to push verticality harder and allow the player to launch himself properly without exploiting the game.

There's something good about BOTW.

Poorly drawn risqué fanart? Blue-balling fetishes that never got doujins?

Because 99% of the time "open world" really means "empty world."

Everything about Xenoblade X makes me sad. It goes to a bunch of trouble to re-enact the immediate post-crash backstory of Xenogears but then does absolutely nothing and teaches us a valuable lesson about species diversity. I don't even bother trying to fit it into my autistic Xeno-Chrono timeline. although I guess it could be another group of the immigrant fleet, and Wihelm, Klaus/Zanza and the aliums all blew up Earth at the exact same time.

Are you seriously fucking trying to shove western politics into Xenoblade? Fucking alt-SJW.

The point is more that it was content to limit itself to saturday morning cartoon ethics compared to the source material, which is Super Robot Dune.

Reported.

get out.

WEW LAD

Because the thing is so empty. If I wanted to explore a vast and empty space, I could take a walk outside. Mayne if they packed the world with shit, and not rely on vast distances to make an illusion of being big and full of stuff to do, then maybe we could like open world games more.

Because open world games are fucking barren, and BOTW is no exception. I can understand wanting to just look at scenery, but if you're only doing that why bother playing a game?

It also strays too far from other Zeldas for me to enjoy it, but that's just my opinion

Tropical Freeze
3D World
Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2

To be fair, it would feel like blue balling if the game did that story, since the main villain would not get killed until thousands of years after the game takes place. Yet they did similar shit anyway.

It all comes down to not reducing everything to a single conflict and keeping the stories personal. For all of saga's flaws, its elaboration of Xenogears' plot was for Saga's sr benefit, not to attach itself to the same central conflict, although it does re-enact it in short in the Jr/Yuriev plot.
When XBX started dropping lore it was all "wait and see how this pays off in a few games" the same way most of the twists in Xenosaga 1 were. The conflict is already weak since they've established the series will destroy and re-create Earth casually and did the same in the installment right before.

You can pirate it.

The problem with open world games is that they're overdone to hell. Remember when people hated brown and bloom FPS games? Open world survival crafting games are the modern day equivalent of those.

Your opinion is CORRECT

i can name my testicles too, does that make you wanna play with them more?

if only they didnt streamline the shrines/puzzles it would be the best, but im sure it went through there heads thinking that people would have a hard time will full fledged dungeons.

also devs are obsessed with dickwaving how huge their open world is even though that never ever benefits the fucking game

Well, going too big has always been that dev's biggest flaw. Xenosaga was originally planned to be a seven game series, which is fucking huge, and only a few manage that. Most of the ones that do have smaller self contained plots that lead into others. For example the Armored Core 3 to Last Raven games each had a self contained plot but they led into one another, with the exception of Nexus which did end on a sequel hook.

I also doubt they will make a proper sequel to X since I don't think it did too well.

This. It is a marketing thing to show off how big the world is.

do casuals actually like giant worlds? i assume they just fast travel as much as they can because i doubt casuals want to look at the vistas or whatever

stopped reading there.
Maybe that's the problem maybe we are sick of casual games.

WEW.
LAD.

This makes me mad, because it reminds me of that image where they excluded the battle frontier from ORAS and made the remake piss easy, and how they casualized paper mario with sticker star. People don't seem to mind zelda though, "It's okay! It's open world! Who needs dungeons, you already have a biiiiiig world!"

hhrhrhrhhfhfhfhfhfhfrrrrrrrrrfffffffffffffff!!!!!!

I'm not the guy who posted the screenshots.

That's the weird bit. I think they're boring. I think skyrim is boring. I found Farcry 3 so boring to the end I forced myself to finish it and I've never bothered with Farcry 4. Yet Zelda, which is mechanically quite similar (Get to a tower to show the map, find the stuff in the map uncovered) just… just does something different. I think it might be as banal as not showing anything outside the layout and some of the shrines actually having some tricky stuff to pull off to activate them, like playing golf with some big balls, or using something metal to get lightning to strike somewhere.

compared to most shooters that have levels, all the open world games are more enjoyable.

don't give me
doom, laura croft, CoD, cryis
instead give me
fallout, skyrim, far cry (3), witcher

Americans are a never ending source of entertainment

theres a lot to like about botw, and its just a shame they didnt put a whole zelda game on top of that!
its still a good game though

I pirated the patreon build bed the version was officially out. Notice my ID has screens from the patreon build and the final build. Retard

Yeah, those are the main issues(U+200B was here) if you happen to like the core of the design. But I could give two fucks about all that stuff since I hate the world structure and its take on dungeons, the first one being the game's biggest "draw." Fuck the open world cancer.

And yet half the faggots here complain about the Metro series because it has corridors at all.

And yet if someone ponies up and makes a niche game all you faggots will just pirate it for one reason or another.
I'd love a decent game but having lurked here I know exactly what will happen if something Holla Forums wants to play actually comes out.

God I'm ready for E3 to be over so these people will go back to where ever it is they came from.

Yeah, and? Make a game without your kike politics or without being shit and you’ll get us to pay.

Well -kikery is easy, but Holla Forums has a wide definition for shit.

or, they could just ignore you and go for a more stable demographic.

I'll add some to this. From what I've gathered from lurks, Holla Forums would like:
-GOG release
-Absolutely no DRM
-Demo version (Reduce/remove desire to pirate)
-Solid, complex gameplay.
-Difficulty without having bullet sponges or damage faucets.
-Despite wanting complex and interactive world, Holla Forums wants plenty of space to move around in. (Hard and expensive, this graph related.)
-Original, fun ideas that aren't some rehashed old game.
-Rehashed old game because muh old games is bettah.
I know Holla Forums is not one person but holy shit.
-And finally except probably not with you faggots no kikery.

I've posted writefaggotry on Holla Forums before for rates but it gets ignored. Granted it hasn't been it's own thread, but that would get ignored too.

My problem with open world games is the 'open world' part took so much effort on the developer's part to make that the rest of the game is always shallow as fuck.

The problem is open world being used as a selling point on top of shit gameplay, rather than great gameplay being further elevated by an open world.

Once again, I am free!

The truth is that a game could still check off all the boxes on the long list of what would be considered "good" for Holla Forums and there will still be threads complaining about how it's the greatest abortion of mankind. I get the impression many anons don't fully realize how difficult it is to make a good game, they think "yeah making X is such a simple idea" but it isn't because they haven't had to think about how they'd do it or execute it. Don't get me wrong, the industry is fucking shit, and both the AAA and indie sides of things are cancerous. I'm not sitting here trying to make an excuse for anything, my point is only that Holla Forums is the video game equivalent of that cunt who stays single into her 40s because no one is good enough for her. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone, but that's the impression you get from the board when you've been here for, what, eight fucking years now or longer.

As far as your list goes it's pretty accurate in what a dev should shoot for; the caveat is "solid, complex gameplay." It's like telling an artist to "paint something like the Mona Lisa, it's not hard, no big deal." Also, disagree on the "rehashed" bit; even if a game blatantly takes a variety of things from other games, if they all come together to execute amazing gameplay that's even better than its inspirations few people are going to care. If devs can make a rehash that comes out absolutely excellent, it will make for a good game and people look past the rehashed bit. The issue is that that rarely ever happens.

Did you seriously link to that SJW faggot? Back to NeoGaf.

How is that relevant? End market users aren't meant to take part in the development process. All that matters is the quality of the final product.

Yeah, I've tried to play around in Unity because it's simpler, but I've never been fully dedicated enough to get into Unreal and make something decent, for several reasons. Firstly I don't have the money or motivation to give up my free time to do it; secondly Holla Forums would just pirate my shit with a contemptuous fuck you and a smug anime girl. I've got an absolute ton of various ideas, because it's a muse of mine. For the most part I focus on core gameplay mechanics. One document is 25 pg long and another is 15. I've actually got one that would be pretty niche that allows strategy players, rpg players, and power fantasy players all play together in one game world.

Wrong. All Holla Forums wants is
- thicc ass
Well that's it. You can release it exclusively on Ouya, with DRM, paid DLCs, paid mods, retarded cookie clicker-tier gameplay, and they'd be fine with it as long as they can *unzip dick* and jerk off mid-game.

Go outside.
This is not impressive at all. In fact this was done years ago in earlier open world games.
If I wanted this I'd go on a road trip. I want my games to have content and not be proof of concept frameworks with nothing to do besides hunt simple and dumbed down minigames. You actually get a piece of shit for 100%ing the game, it's quite fitting.

Prove we’re not stable, fuckface. We demand objective quality, and we always demand objective quality. There is literally nothing MORE stable than that. They release whatever shit they can put together to pander to whatever demographic they can put together. They’re wholly unstable.

Kill self plz

that again? and whats with your shitty russian tier reading comprehension?

I wouldn't worry about piracy. It's a non issue. First, you can't stop it, and avoiding making something you want to make because piracy is looming is retarded. Secondly, pirates do spend money. Don't think of it as a "lost sale" like EA or some fucks, if someone bought your game and didn't like it they would complain incessantly and try putting a black mark on your product. Better they try it for free and like it, at worst it has no effect, at best they buy it and tell their friends. Notch got rich because of piracy, and he blatantly ripped off Infiniminer. And thirdly, if it's good, you'll get sales regardless.

An easy thing to do to get a healthy chunk of goodwill is to set up your own website and release a demo. Let them play a bit for free without having to pirate. Ask them to kindly consider buying the game if they like it, and if not, thanks for trying it anyway. In this industry with the ridiculous amount of fucktarded anti consumer bullshit, a nice dose of respect and friendliness will take you a LONG way.

why not just into women
fags sure are weird

Go outside and walk around. Would be nice if there was something interesting to find. I don't even like stories in games. I like exploring, there's nothing to explore in Breath of the Casuals, it's just scenery and walking.

Just get the fuck out, faggot. We’ve already proven you wrong.

Do you expect anyone to believe you?

user, youre not even trying.

checked.

Oh, I know it absolutely isn't a lost sale, and yes, you are right.
Another problem of mine is, like I mentioned having an interest in writing said concept docs, the feature creep is ridiculous and I put too much stuff into each idea and can't forget about it.
I also have 0% art or music skills, and while I am a hopefully competent programmer and can write a decent algorithm, I don't have a ton of experience using game engines.

literally the most arbitrary definition for "open world" possible.

shit, and you call yourself stable?

It's 90% empty, the amount of actual exploring that leads to anything worth finding or any sort of secrets is meager compared to actual good Zelda games of the past. You can try to pretend otherwise, but it's mostly a game of empty scenery.

ea or other big shot company gets emotional when it comes to piracy because they display a thought process as if theyre a tiny underdog. for anyone whos going to one man army indie dev, a sale of a 5 dollar game pays bills. its an intimidating prospect for anyone living alone and scraping by.

It’s like poetry.

Do you know what exploring is, you stupid fucking faggot? Can I dig in your backyard and find a treasure chest? And then go to your neighbor’s backyard and do the same thing? Holy fucking shit.
Prove your claim.

if youre going to steer the conversation in a completely different direction then im not going to bother with you. youre welcome to read like someone who understands english for a change and pick up where you left off.

Reported, then. Fuck the hell off, dipshit. You don’t get to derail here.

This is what autistic nintoddlers have been reduced to.

wheres there for me to be wrong about? you arent talking about what i was saying. hell, your display of retardation only really serves to prove that whatever group you identify with is an unstable demographic.

well, you could call it pointless padding or you could call it freedom. how do you want to approach the objectives the game gives you?
things like stamina and enemy placement play a factor when considering going through treacherous terrain. a lot of the game is about getting from one point to another in good shape and a lot of that comes down to paying attention to your surroundings. sure, its just another forest, but theres a ton of food in there. its just a river, but its full of fish that with stamina buffs that are going to help me climb just another cliff to get the shrine.

Alright, rate this then. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Just came up with this now and got partial inspiration from but also having an itch for some monhun/shadow of the colossus.
It's too bad I have never played SotC, the emulator I used was horribly laggy for it. Gibs me an ISO and a good emulator for it and I'll draw from that.

Titan's Shadow

-There are areas
-There is a hub world.
-There is technology, you have a mech suit and are on a new planet in the Andromeda system, but cut off from Earth and her support.
You are a Hunter, and you can hunt Beasts, which are big, but not the main feature of the game. There are titans which roam around. These titans are essentially the level of the game, and both inferior races and beasts live on them. You want to kill these titans. Each titan killed grants you a very special material, one of which is needed for ever so important upgrades. (Basically you get to upgrade one special thing for each titan kill, so choose wisely.)
Why do we want to kill them?
If we don't, eventually one will squish us like most of the other remaining human settlements. Additionally, these titans are both nests and staging grounds for antagonistic entities to raid us.

There are all kinds of titans, usually made from flesh and bone. We are not sure how or why they exist, but they roam and are very passive unless provoked by us or other creatures living on them (which hate us).

Core gameplay has you podshoot (A cannon that literally shoots you to target to be fuel efficient, because dropships are expensive. It's a railgun that you brace into. For the return trip you canonically go to a location with an active one of these. They're charged by the sun, why not. Your suit has jet bits that help keep you in the air and allow you to make controlled falls/fall slower/more directed.)
You then must approch the nearby titan and ascend the creature, which is the level of the game. Along the way there's swarms of mooks to kill, which can kill you with sheer numbers. There are also beasts which act like minibosses for the whole level/mission. Note: Your degree of flight skill during podshoot can bring you closer to the titan.
Graphics: Probably a bit cartoony, but human proportions should be regular. Remember my into art is not that strong, as far as I know.
Levels themselves: A big bowl area. You must get near the titan before it climbs whatever mountain or geological feature. Once near the indiginous living on it will agitate it to make the titan aggro you so it doesn't just continue to walk away like an asshole or leave the pretty area while you are on it. The titan is the level, and area is just a convenient place for the titan to be.

Note: These titan missions would be more like the Urgent Quests in monhun, overall acting like a boss. There could be smaller missions where you have to do X, usually extract some material, protect this mining crew, which have Beasts along the way. This or going to hunt a beast because some eccentric faggot wants it on his wall. Compelling filler??? However, I likely would not include "kill X of these mookbeasts" because those are boring and grindy. Materials grinding is also a chore so these missions would be for money, which you use to buy the things you want in your suit.
If I do actually get that into it I'd see how far I could go with customization.

Oh, yeah, I suppose these titans would have to be much larger and lumbering then in SotC, since they form an actual ecosystem, so there's that.

So, rate. Constructive criticism welcome, as long as you provide good suggestions or solutions to problems that you see.

This was what pained me the most.
The outdoors was great. Everyone agrees that the current overworld should be maintened for next Zeldas.
What pained me so much was the lack of indoors.
There's none.

Until Skyward Sword, every single Zelda (from the very first one) had a separate instance for the overworld an a house/city/cave/dungeon.
In Breath of the Wild, you can enter one of those and you can still see the outside. There's no transition. (The big exception are shrines which are the equivalent of a dungeon room from a previous Zelda).

I remember entering the ninja secret base and the forgotten temple with so much expectations, I thought "Finally! there's actually a dungeon underneath!" But no. They were small places with only two or three rooms total. Biggest disapointment was the Akkala Citadel ruins, a fortress the size of a mountain. You can climb it and fight some stuff, but you can't actually enter it because all its cool rooms are filled with dirt or frozen lava. Oh, let's check the coliseum! There's a big coliseum right north from the starting place! It's… empty too. It has a few enemies inside but that's it. There's nothing special.

I really enjoyed exploring the game but I'm not sure how much of this experience can be enjoyed twice and I have enjoyed replaying most Zeldas (Skyward Sword's Hero Mode was nothing special) but I'm not sure about this one. I guess I will try getting stuff in another order… Best part was the main quest around Zora's Domain. I was so hyped and the game even featured a decent soundtrack, which is unusual for BotW.

I hope the December DLC is about Link fighting the Calamity for the first time, when everything wasn't in ruins and you could actually visit the bustling Hyrule City and the Akkala Citadel.

Maybe you guys hate Skyrim because you were too stupid to enjoy the game?

Fixed that for you. No need to thank me for your obvious butchering of the English language. I just figured a negroid like you could use all the help you can get.

grammarly.com/blog/is-stupider-a-word/
It's not my fault you can't handle simple mechanics that even normalfag non-gamers can grasp immediately. I bet you get confused by 2D Sonic's jumping mechanics, don't you?

Gimmie more things to do

Just recently acquired the WiiU version, and while it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, I can't help but wonder what in the fuck they were thinking when making this game.

why?
were they that desperate to market the Switch?
>Ridiculously small stamina bar circle
does Link have asthma now? Did he become a non-stop smoker?
not only is Link less /fit/ than me now, easy shit like running is more exhausting to him than climbing up a wall with no equipment in the middle of the pouring rain, what the hell?
Feels like a completely different setting every time you enter one
like, embarrassingly easy
Cooking is just so fucking slow
And "skipping" the animation causes loading or w/e? Doesn't instantly finish the shit anyway.
But now there's less items and some enemies can just OHKO you (le Dark Souls of Zelda meme)
In which weapons break by existing and unarmed combat is not a thing
Yea, let's have some cunt who never did any VA work before voice Zelda. And have her try (and fail) to fake a british accent. Splendid. The other VAs so far haven't been exactly stellar either.

I mean, the gameplay with the climbing and shit is kinda fun, but there are so many problems already apparent after just a few hours of dicking around. Why in the shit did they release it like this?
And who decided to slap the title "Zelda" onto "Generic Openworld Game 8973415"?

From a map designer's perspective.
It's really really fucking easy to just make a giant fucking map.
It's harder to make an interesting and memorable one.

The ancient tech was the best part of Skyward Sword by far and it separates this game from previous ones and allows them to do neat stuff and explain it away easily. I appreciate its presence, but putting a stone ipad in the game was a bit much.

I didn't even read the rest of your post when I posted
But now I have and it's clear you've been playing for maybe three hours and you're barely past what's effectively the tutorial. Some of your complaints have absolutely no ground in reality.

Explained.
Are you retarded?
Play longer.
You don't get it.
120 of them.

The biggest kick in the nuts with Z: Break of the Weapon was that it's an exploration game where there's no point to exploring. Gear is worthless as it all breaks in under 60 seconds so travelling off the beaten path in hopes of finding something good in a hard or obscure area is futile, and the enemy placement is so homogenized that there are no rare upgrade items you need to search for, only drop percentages to grind and waits on respawns to reduce. You're breadcrumbed to the fountains and the one quest in the game that requires you find and return weapons you'd need to search for has a joke reward. It's the worst open world game I've ever played as the world is just the same content with different scenery.

Hey faggot shill, i had missed you, like you were doing this daily but now you did wait like a week that is too long in shill years.

Also please kill yourself to death, fam

Are all dungeons in this game as short and easy as the Water Temple Divine Beast Elefant In Ruto?

This might be the first Zelda game I actually quit before finishing it, I was hoping that with only four dungeons, they'd at least be good.

I finally got the emulator working well enough that I can play at more than 10 fps. I've played for the last two days, and here is my experience:
All of this is a long winded way of saying that I explored a large portion of the fucking desert with no explicit goal in mind. Here's my problem; The large circular area with the Sheikah decorations turned out to be a boss room. I know this because I eventually got back to the cross dresser on the roof, got the Gerudo outfit, made my way into town, and got the quest to find the chief's stolen headpiece. Now, you can't enter the Yiga hideout before you explicitly get to the chief and hear her dialogue about how her headpiece was stolen. This means that "organic" gameplay is thrown out the window. I went to the hideout on my own while exploring, why couldn't I have 1) noticed that it was a hideout for a den of thieves, 2) infiltrated as a result of my own curiosity, 3) managed to encounter and defeat the boss, 4) grab the headpiece, and then proceed to use it to attack the giant mechanical camel thing on my own terms, or at least bring it back to the chief and use it as an alternative way to get into town? The point is that this game's major quests are constructed in the same exact way that previous games have done it; You talk to quest giver, they give you an item to open a new path, and then you can proceed.

It's not new, and the larger empty space in between objectives only adds padding. There's nothing wrong with the padding by itself, I guess. It can be fun to randomly kill monsters, or go hunting, or interact with NPCs, or solve puzzles. However, this creates a schism between "deciding to explore for exploration's sake" and "making progress within a specific quest" which just brings me to question the absurdity of it all. In Zelda I, if you found a hidden temple somewhere, you could go in and kill the boss. Yeah, some temples were "locked" behind a specific item, but all of these items just existed outside in the world, all you had to do was explore and find them. In this game, you have to seek out the prerequisite story bits before context specific areas or items will even become available, and it just diminishes the cohesion of the world.

tl;dr BOTW is just an open world filled with optional content that serves as padding which is wrapped around the same old Zelda formula.

openworld games are the FPS of the 2010s. It's a cash grab by developers

9/11 review
you should work for a youtube or a blog

Retards need to think before posting for fucks sake

Wait a minute, that claw!