If you wanted to play vidya at 1080p at 144hz, would a 1080ti be overkill...

If you wanted to play vidya at 1080p at 144hz, would a 1080ti be overkill? Is there a better amd equivalent (like the up coming Vega)?

Also hardware thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/2b7rBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/tV7hwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/9pVwf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Definitely overkill, I'm playing games with 970 with plenty of frames. Really, get a Radeon RX 570/580 instead, depending on how much you want out of it.

Won't the 1080ti futureproof it better?

Given how much graphics have stagnated? Yes, it's very overkill for 1080p.

There is no future for games.

Try to be more positive user

futureproofing is a meme pushed by kikes to get you to buy their more expensive hardware now.
When you'll actually need to upgrade the hardware will be a fraction of its price.

Not really. Watch some new tech pop up a couple years down the line that improves memory bandwidth and thus creating cards that can easily do 4k gaming at 144hz. If OP plans to hold that monitor for half a decade, the 1080TI is overkill.

I still have a 780ti that is holding strong, just considering an upgrade but eh, might wait a couple of years.

It's a new monitor, I had to move and leave my old one behind and just decided to get a new one that was 144hz instead. I honestly should of just gotten a 1440p but i nearly forgot they existed til recently.

Theres no such thing as futureproof user.

No, not really, considering Nvidia tries to decrease overall performance with each driver update, baiting people to upgrade.
AMD at least has their drivers improve performance over time, even if they're not the best at launch.

Does it have gsync or freesync? Better yet, give us the model number.

AMD has been decent with that, although they do have cut off points of when they stop developing driver updates for cards when they get too old.

Proof or fuck off, shill.

Asus VG248QE not exactly "new" but new as it factory new

meant for

My proof is that I have a GTX 970. Rollbacking does wonders.

So watcha think Holla Forums

If you can find a 570/580 resell it to miners.

You might want a 120gb ssd to store your current playlist of games, otherwise youll still deal with load times fot bigger games. And if they are used often, it removes stress on the hdd from the read write actions when you are playing.

you are wasting nearly 200 dollars on something that will cost you 400 dollars in the future

fucking stop you idiot

That's actually a really good deal and if it was still around I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

You fags won't even build a pfSense box despite how cheap low power CPUs are nowadays, plus you can filter a lot of tracking bullshit and have a VPN and other stuff up 24/7 with minimal supervision.

I am considering that, but a 250gb. 120 is small enough.

It still performs well for most vidya, pretty great for the price.

Realizing that the 570 has a decent price on it right now, superior than the 1050 that Iisted and only 30$ more

due to the fact that most video games predate 2012 yes of course but if you are planning on running anything from the past 5 years including your web browser and something like a media player at the same time you will be fucked.

it is essentially flushing $470 down the drain.

actually

2c 4t with hyperthreading is a lot of power for $65. He can always buy a Skylake i5 or i7 later and drop it in and be fine. I did more or less the same thing with the G3258.

nothing like upgrading from decade old deprecated technology to 5 year old deprecated technology

no, this is an awful build and it will only end up costing more money in the future

I don't recommend buying 2 cores CPU without no HT.
If you're going to use Windows 10, get G4560. It is like i3, but little lower clock speed. If not, your only option is i3-6100 and make sure the MoBo is 100 series chipset.

HT? What do you mean?
On my desktop no, I use 7.
Updated my list by the way pcpartpicker.com/list/2b7rBP

But user, what about opsec? Who am I kidding? If OP wanted opsec and gayman hes stuck with ten to twelve year old games anyways

What does overkill even mean?
Even if you use [email protected]/* */ display you can still set higher resolution to downsample as a superior form of anti aliasing.
If you can afford it - absolutely fucking buy 1080ti. You will never now when they start making GPUs hardwired to only support Windows10 or something similar. It might be as well your last chance.

HT = Hyper-Threading. It helps ALOT for 2 cores (Intel) CPUs.
Instead having 1 thread on each core, you have 2 threads on each core improving frame times consistency.

Since your preferred choice of OS is Windows 7, get the i3-6100 CPU (although 2 time more expensive) and H110 or B150 chipset MoBo.
Win 7 and 8/8.1 doesn't "work" using Kaby Lake CPUs.

I thought about just sucking it up and using Windows 10, doing some modifying makes it ok but I can't get over some of the glaring issues ("features aka new vulnerabilities" and telemetry shit you can't disable). I like Gnu/Linux but I also love my vidya

smt is an alternative to actually having more cores and hurts single threaded performance. stop buying dual core chips and 4 core chips are becoming outdated too.

u fokkin wat m8. Where the fuck did you read this? Wherever it was, stop reading anything there. A ssd still has a fraction of the durability of a hdd. If you mean "use it as a big cache for the hdd" then yes, that is good for performance, though I doubt that's possible to set up on windoze.

Why do people keep saying this, but never provide sources or proof? You really think modern SSDs are still as delicate as the first generations?

Did you mean threads?
Tell this to Intel. :^)
I don't think 4 cores CPUs are outdated yet. i5s are great and maybe AMD's Ryzen 3 will be great too.

the only reason to get 8 cores if want to shitpost hard about 8 CORES
which is a perfect and valid reason to dump extra cash for.

and if you don't want to have a 2500k tier piece of shit in 2017

Don't get memed into a 2 core CPU, especially if you have done money. And if you do have the money buy me Tekken 7 [email protected]/* */

A 2500k would still run modern games just fine. Most people don't do anything that requires more power.

no

even if they did, most games actually worth playing will run well on a modern pentium, but if you actually want to do anything other than games that actually uses processing power it's better to get one with MOAR COARS

Futureproofing is a meme invented by jews.
The only real way to futureproof is to upgrade constantly with the part with the best price-to-performance.

It's never overkill, specially because you'll still drop below 144fps with anti aliasing. It's all about budget. Do you have the money for a 1080ti? Then get it.

You're not understanding what hyperthreading is on a fundamental level.
CPUs aren't actually a single thing. They have internal components that do different things. Hyperthreading lets you run multiple instructions at once on a single cpu, but a single cpu can't actually run multiple instructions at once. What really happens is you can put 2 tasks that use different parts of the CPU on the same core and the parts that don't overlap will run concurrently. You can write a program that compares registers on the cpu on loop and run it on the same cpu core as you run superpi (an entirely floating point workload that calculates pi) and neither will slow the other down, whereas on a cpu without hyperthreading they would compete for CPU time even though they aren't using the same parts of the CPU.
That means it requires expertise on the side of the programmer and not everything even has the possibility to benefit from it, games generally don't.

What I meant my futureproofing is that getting 1080ti would mean I wouldn't have to upgrade for another 4 or 5 years without any problems, compared to day a 1030 or 1050.

Ask an oracle, not Holla Forums.

if by in 5 years you mean you'll be running at 640x480, lowest settings, 30fps with drops to single digits, yeah, that'll be your future.

b-but PC gaymen is actually cheaper than consoles!

Nvidia cripples their old cards with driver updates when they have a new card, just like how Apple cripples iOS with updates whenever they have a new phone.

Is there anyway around this besides buying AMD?

Nope. They dump retarded amounts of effort into tesselation, then make gameworks games have excessive tesselation.
If they did what you say with drivers they would've had legal trouble in multiple countries long ago.
Try any gameworks game and force tesselation down on AMD's drivers (nVidia's don't have this option) and see the graphics barely change while putting AMD GPUs on par with comparable nVidia ones.

You can either shell out $800 now for a comically overpowered card that lasts a couple of years, or buy an upper mid range card now and a new one later for $500 total together and still remain within the top 5-ish GPU performance percentile.

But it's closed source, there's no evidence. ;^)

Fucking cryptocurrency fags are driving the price of upper mid range cards to $700-800 right now too.

Post quality high end builds

Showing it happen with multiple driver versions over multiple cards is enough proof and there are thousands of people who live off of suing companies and rich people for random shit, their claims being valid or not. For tech in specific there are several foundations and organizations that would do it for the consumer and/or money, too.
If it was true it would be an easy case, but nvidia really doesn't do it with drivers. They do it with tesselation.
Also I say gameworks but it's anything they're heavily involved in, they did it on the first crysis for instance.

How much is the difference between ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB and ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP Edition 6GB?
Both were on sale but I bought the Mini one since it was 60 dollars cheaper. It only cost 173 Canadian dollars and it's replacing a 6 year old card

I mainly want to see how hardware prices fall after the Vega comes out, but fuck's sake it's taking it's sweet time.

AMD is nearly as jewish
I wish there were more competitors in this market

Is there anyone who currently has a chance to rise up?

YOU. IT'S YOUR DESTINY

I just ignore people who say AMD isn't jewish because it shows they're teenagers hwo haven't been around for long.
But you hit home with the "AMD is nearly as jewish" part, they weren't as much when they afforded to.

IBM is the only one capable, but they are wholly unwilling.

So you're saying I should just go with a 1080ti and call it a day?

Yeah powerPC is nice and all but to be able to compete on the desktop market they need a x86 processor, or to somehow convince programmers to learn (in 2017 the average programmer is an indian guy who knows nothing about how computers work and learned C++ in college, so take that in mind) how to write their C-whatever programs in a way that can be compiled for both x86 and PPC and then distribute the separate versions, and then you also need everyone to switch to linux and you'll probably also need a good (non-VM, or transparent VM) way to get people to run their x86 programs on powerpc.

You should get the best performing card for your budget, and consider everyone who says "overkill" a retard. If you're looking for better price/performance ratio you should try AMD but on the high end there's nothing but nvidia right now.

The proletariat.

I can afford whatever I want, but I'm curious if the 1080ti will drop in price once the Vega comes out.

Just because IBM doesn't currently have an x86 processor (due to being unwilling to even play in that market) doesn't mean they're not still the only ones capable. Nobody else can deal with the fabrication, fuck I think AMD already uses IBM as part of their own fabrication chain.

VIA has to go back to the market. But when they were already producing worse products even for the price intel put legal pressure on them and made them go bankrupt and now they're just a shell of their former selves bought out by random companies and leaving only an integrated expansion hardware division.
Also it would be nice if S3 and matrox were still alive on the GPU market. Imagine how beautiful it would be to go to a computer part store and be able to stare at S3, matrox, nvidia, AMD and even intel gpus, or to shop around for Cynix, amd, intel, VIA cpus.

There's also how x86 is still intel's property and AMD gets away with it because they were the only ones to survive intel's team of lawyers.

It's hard to find a company that won't try to swindle you for sheckles. I will at least give AMD some credit for putting a fire under Intel's ass and making cheap adaptive sync monitors.

Cranking up everything in a modern good looking game and keeping 144fps will absolutely need a good card, don't think it will need a 1080ti though and more importantly how many of those games are actually worth playing?

It depends on what games you want to play. Fuck can you not make a decision for yourself? Just go look at some benchmarks or some shit.

If you play at shitty console settings and silky smooth 30 FPS, yeah it is.

144hz is a meme.
You don't need anything higher than 90.
And that's only if you're even able to tell the difference between 60 and 90 in the first place.

Dumbfuck ex-NEETfag here. I finally got a job and need a good build for 1000 or under that can max most games. Can anyone post their builds to get me started?

buy ryzen 7 or thread ripper

I can tell the difference between 90 and 144. Stop being blind, faggot.

Threadripper isn't out yet and would be a waste of money for gamers. You don't need a $800 CPU, put that money into GPU.

90 with a ulmb monitor is passable.
preferrable to have 144 ULMB

I can tell, too.
OP might not be able to.

shilling this shit again, but pcpartpicker.com/list/tV7hwV

Alternatively, if you don't want intel then do what said and replace the motherboard and processor. You can swap the ram sticks for something slightly better or/and 16 GB. But honestly all you really need is 8 unless you plan to run alot of crap, the fps difference is unnoticeable.
Obviously you can swap out the WD hdd for a SSD, i would recommend a PNY or Samsung.

If you want for some strange reason Nvidia, right now the 1060 is at a decent price for performance, but if you want a real budget video card a 1050 (Ti if you want to fork more shekels). I would honestly just stick with the 570 though.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, if you want to spend the extra money to you can get a 1070 which is a pretty good card. Found this if you are willing to fork over another 50$, its not bad. I am a bit concerned about the SSD though, seems a bit cheap, based on reviews it might be alright. pcpartpicker.com/list/9pVwf8

But why

Ram has gotten more expensive. The 16gb ram modules I bought for $70 two years ago are now $130.

Jesus fuck. Now I have even less incentive to build a new system. I'm rocking a 2006 rig with a 560TI, 8GB of DDR2, Win7, and no SSDs. I get framerates between FIVE and fifty in (poorly optimized game from 2015 goes here) with low resolution, and most of the pretty turned off.

Most of the other shit didn't really go up in price, just RAM. Most of the other components like your graphics cards and CPU's and what not are either cheaper or you can buy the new stuff for the price the old stuff cost when it came out.
What's bothering me is how older hardware doesn't go down in price when new hardware comes out. The GTX 960 is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than the 1060 is, which makes no fucking sense.

To be honest, the main reason I don't build a new system is because I don't really enjoy anything that could benefit from a processor two generations newer, and RAM two generations newer. Also the hardware AIDS in motherboards and processors newer than what I have. Remember, it's not about people being able to find out what's on your system, it's about people being able to put incriminating shit on it without your knowledge. Remember that all of the NSA's tools hit the public, so now all of the script kiddies can put cheese pizza in your hot chicks directory. I wish it was a paranoid delusion, but no.

You can still get new hard ware and play newer games on high settings and shit, just never connect your new computer to the internet. What you could do is use your old computer or laptop to download all your games, driver updates, ect., to a flashdrive and put them on your new computer. That's what I did to my computer I built two years ago because there where no internet providers in my area and I didn't want to use dial-up or get satellite internet, to I just went to the community college the town over and used their internet to download games to my laptop and put them on my computer at home.

Depends what games you're playing. It would give to the most stable experience in most games. You might still get a frame drop here or there. Plus, nothing will save you from bad ports.

I can still get the PC port of MGS2 or Silent Hill 2 to run decently.

Sorry, I meant I can't get them to run decently.

That's just third-party sellers looking to gouge a sucker. Processors don't really drop because processors haven't improved in eight years, graphics cards are still gaining 30% every generation so the prices on old ones do drop if you know where to look local listings and local computer parts stores, never buy from eBay

Hah.

I got my 560SE from ebay for a decent price, and got the TI version from a friend yesterday for nothing, since he got some variant of a 1080 for his hyperbeast of a system. Hooray for single digit percentage performance increases? Not that I'm ungrateful for a free video card, but it's like "5% chance to take 1% less damage from poison damage over time for 3 seconds".

What's stopping you from playing newer games without connecting your computer to the internet? You know you can just pirate shit and not have to worry about always online DRM. What's stopping you from piraing the latest game with denuvo that got cracked onto a laptop, transferring it over to your computer, and playing it?

Well, from what I hear, the Silent Hill 2 PC version is ass to begin with. But as for MGS2, I can run that game fine and I have a card from a few years back, so I couldn't tell you what your issue is there. I'd say you're bottlenecked somewhere else, but MGS2 isn't that demanding. Have you tried fucking around with drivers or your GPU settings (not the game's graphical settings, I mean like an actual profile in your card for the game or something like that).

My problem was that it was crashing during a certain part of the game constantly and I could never progress. Performance wise there weren't too many issues other than some graphical glitches such as textures not loading.

Buy AMD or else we'll all be stuck with a GPU monopoly nobody will survive the price jewing.

Don't own a laptop anymore, and I can't justify buying even a used one. Easier to just borrow or rent shit for the PS4, considering whatever comes out for the PC that I would be interested in would require Windows 10 or some awful shit, but is also available on consoles. The cost of a new system isn't worth what little fun I could wring out of pirating games, considering the absolute dearth of good games in the past half-decade. Don't worry, I think my problem is chronic depression, because it takes more and more to make me feel enjoyment as time goes on.

You know for the price of a PS4 and 10 games you can put together a rather powerful PC and and play almost every video game made in the past half a century.

What do I need for 1440p at 144hz/120fps?

1080 or 1080ti?

it depends on the game and settings

A 1440p Monitor that runs at 144HZ.

I would build one if I still could find a AM1 motherboard as I don't want to use AMT/PSP and 25 TDP seems to be the best before moving to ARM (yey TrustZone and the system locking up in heart beat because it can't more than two to four tasks at once when used as a desktop) where SATA ports don't really exist and there is usually one USB port which shares PCIE lanes with the NIC.

No shit, but let's assume I want to hit that for most games that have come out and will come out over the past few/next few years.

are you using the SH:2pc graphic improvements mod? alternatively, the xbox version of SH:2 runs great (480p with all effects ) and has extra story stuff not found in the pc or ps2 versions. (silent hill 2: born from a wish)

60fps is a meme. Games should only support 24fps max because that's the cinematic standard. But I lock my games to only 10fps if I have the option because that way I can get the best graphics.