How do you feel about the cancelled silent hill game that return to the cult but set in a sister town in arizona?

How do you feel about the cancelled silent hill game that return to the cult but set in a sister town in arizona?

Nothing. It was little more than a tech demo that showed zero promise.

Silent Hill was about a cult?
I thought it was just a town that half-exists in the Hellraiser dimension, and the more troubled your mental state the more you get pulled into hell-side.

I've only played the first game, but I played it a lot. I'm relatively sure the witch in the town didn't actually exist, and I'm also at least 30% sure that the space aliens ending wasn't canon.

shill some place else

Silent Hill is the story of a cult that peddles a drug to tourists to lure in new members. One cult member has a child who turns out to be psychic, they believe with enough torturous rituals they can made her become impregnated with the god they worship like a womby doorway into our world.
During their impregnation ritual her powers go full akira and tap into the natural spirital power of silent hill the natives worshipped. Her years of pain and torment taints it like oil in a puddle of water. Her psychic outcry makes the house boiler explode and she is horribly burned but rather than let her die the cult secrets her away to a basement in the alchemilla hospital. She lives with 4th degree burns over most of her body begging for death and the nurses are kept addicted to white claudia to care for her in secret.

Eventually her powers allow her to literally split her soul in two so the ritual can never be completed and some part of her can be safe. This split results in a baby found in nearby fields by travelling harry mason and his wife, a baby they name cheryl.

Years later he passes by again and this triggers a reunfication of the two girls souls back into one and after 6 or 7 years of suffering alessas influence goes from making the town unpleasant to her nightmares literally over writing reality.

Dahlia tricks harry into thinking alessa is a monster spreading the mark of samael around the town to summon monsters, in truth she is placing the seal of the metatron to seal the evil and you are tricked into undoing it. At the end you find out cheryl ceased to exist the moment you crashed the car and you have been chasing a ghost, but you excise the demon from alessa, kill it and she once again splits herself and gives you the baby while letting herself finally die and harry escapes and names the baby Heather.

With the few remaining cult leaders gone the cult falls into disarray, their drug ring collapses and so does tourism and silent hill becomes abandoned over the next few years.

There is an interlude or 'gaiden' side story about james sunderland visiting the town after this point and while its an excellent game this sadly lead to the pushing of the meme that silent hill is a sentient magic therapist town that brings in murderous amnesiacs to act as a personal purgatory.

Then 3 reaches the point where heather is in her late teens and some of the abused children from the cult are now adults ressurecting it and after her to once again use her like they did alessa, they fail and the god is killed for real and the cult is considered dead and gone and while harry dies heather moves on to live a normal life.

The whole game is about a cult but the american devs fell back on 'so randum magic therapist xD' on repeat rather than write a proper story instead of a goosebumps tier fanfic.

Then the lead went on to make forbidden siren which is surprise of the century about a sleepy town with a cult worshipping a demon god.

The cult is more explained in 3, but it was actually a cult surrounding the creation of a new god by raising a girl in a really horrible way, making her hate herself, and then making her birth a god which would be kinder for it, however the girl they were trying to have birth god had psychic powers and created a split reality where all the things she's scared of and dislikes come out of the woodwork to harm people who wander into the town. All the supernatural shit is caused by the one little girl who was abused to the point that her nightmares turned into an alternate reality which no one in the town really talks about. Otherwise Silent Hill is a nice little resort town that has a coal mine constantly burning underground because of the boiler room exploding, or something to that effect.

Oh right, forgot the drug pedaling, white dalia.

Man, I didn't even realize it was that tired child-with-godlike-powers trope. That's pretty lame.
It's much more interesting if it's just a hole into actual supernatural hell in an otherwise mundane world.

I guess writers have an irresistible urge to try to make their lore seem deep and complex, when utmost simplicity often yields the more resonant stories.

Fuck off, Tom Hullet.

I always thought that Alessa got her powers because the god in Silent Hill granted them to her. I don't remember her being actually a psychic.

Also, isn't forbidden siren caused because some primitive cavemen ate an alien and the alien's ghost cursed the town?

The coal thing is from the movie, not the game. The fog is part of the nightmare world.

Go home Tom you are drunk.

They could have at least done something that hasn't been done identically dozens of times before. Cults are pretty cringey, too, to be honest.

Alternatively, if you absolutely must have the most cliche shit imaginable, then at least go for something properly established, like Lovecraft, so you don't have to rely on shitty vidya writers and you can just copy/paste directly from the source material.

Who the hell is that? Is "Hullet" even a human name?

She was a psychic, its why the schools called midwich elementary, its referencing the midwich cuckoos story/film where a town has every woman become pregnant on the same day and birth a murderous psychic child

and kind of only about 200ish years ago a space whale fell to earth, the sushi eating hicks fell upon it and devoured it and it cursed them, the red blood making shibito is the curse in effect

Once again, the coal thing made it seem more real and more intriguing. The initial assumption is that the fog comes from the nightmare world, but then your expectation is subverted and you realize that the fog is actually mundane - but the nightmare world is using it as a vector into our world.

Instantly better than "magic girl done it".

Thats pretty good b8.

With all my respect Fuck you. If you dont find the idea of satanic cults getting out of hand a sick idea then get out of my sight. Now seriously, simpler stories are better executed, not like all the faggotry you see in modern games.

I see… I didn't remember.

Syren was made by Grasshoper, right? that would explain the craziness.

You are confusing game canon with movie "canon". Outside the nightmare world the town is totally normal. Apply to yourself what I said to >>12741736

I can respect that, mostly.
But satan being evil is kind of an out of control meme to begin with. He's always depicted as being on the side of mankind in the bible, Jesus just spews a shitload of jewish propaganda slandering him from every direction - you know better than to trust a jew.

No, I'm saying that the movie's explanation of the fog is a much better explanation than the canon one, and should have been canon in the first place.

Does the nightmare world not encompass the entire universe, and it's just this one little town where there's a tiny hole to see it?
Either way, I've always loved the idea of parallel worlds occupying the exact same time, and the exact same space, just invisible to one another. Learn to look just one millimeter over in a direction you've never looked in before, and suddenly you see incomprehensible horrors.

It's just most interesting to me if that nightmare world is always there, has always been there, and will always be there, and it's just waiting for someone to make that hole a tiny bit bigger to let something incomprehensibly alien through - not necessarily evil, just so different and vast that it the distinction is moot.

Cults, though, they're just a dime a dozen, even in the real world. They're all crackpots and laughing stocks, and once in a while they do the world a favor and self-terminate. That's really the beginning and end of cults - organized mental illness.
Silent Hill would be better served with its "magical therapy town" angle, if people are slowly exposed to the nightmare world and driven insane - and that insanity allows them to finally understand aspects of that nightmare world and it starts to make sense to them - and thereafter they seek to expand it and expose more people to the truth they've witnessed. Not because of the influence of someone controlling their mind, or the brainwashing of a cult - simple empirical knowledge of a reality that directly contradicts with our own form of reality so starkly that any who glimpse its truths embrace it as reflexive defense mechanism.

I think Twin Perfect has mostly incredibly shitty opinions that are down right contrarian.

It is kind of interesting though thinking about just how dead Silent Hill is.

I think a change in setting would work well.
Making a series about a cult doing spooky shit in different locations.
Problem is the horror genre itself seems dead in the wake of those who want every horror game to be action oriented.

Honestly i think a lot of franchises could do with a change to a final fantasy style of sequels. Same name, similar terms and tones but the worlds, characters and events can be vastly different. Capcom said that was the plan post RE6 and 7 was kind of a go between the two but different games in different places is a godo way to explore ideas without fucking with canon.

Granted you can then argue isnt it just riding the name as a brand exercise, but that already happens and its a good way to save things like dead space.

I see the black thing in the gif but what am I looking at?

You got 3 or 4 games made by americans doing the 'magical therapy' shit and they were crap.

Face it, Silent Hill had been always about crazy cults summoning what they shouldn't and they got it wrong. Is a simple plot that is well executed.

Trying to add more or try to make it more 'deep' like so many hipsters try to do and it just make a shallow piece of shit.

Also, I don't want to asume you are a teenager, but your Satan point is pretty edgy.

The horror genre is dead because everyone tries to make Lovecraft or The Ring without understanding Lovecraft nor The Ring.

There's nothing wrong with being edgy, and there never has been. If anything, we need more edge in our culture not less. We're so un-edgy now that you can't even call a spic a spic without going to prison for thought crimes.

I don't disagree with you, but you need to go back to tvtropes.

It's a cursed existence but it has it's moments.

Everyone has that glorious power, even ole whitey like me can use 'honkey' and watch them squirm.

The difference is that they will say garbage like "well, ur kind is literally hitler! how dare you don't check ur privilege!" and other non arguments like that. They really don't have a go to insult for the bad goyim who are not white. It's one of the few reasons I bother to even communicate with people anymore. They either take the red pill pretty easily since they actually have to confront the facts with me or they just shut down and change the subject or mutter something about affirmative action.

this woman should spend time writing out a script for her videos, she clearly can't speak cohesively on the spot

There's coon, whitewashed, oreo, etc, they get angry that you haven't fulfilled your Jewish-given role of being a menace to society and they try to guilt trip you for it.

Only happened to me once. Turns out physical wounds heal but the physiological ones tend to never heal.

Pretty much, but it can get really heated when you meet someone from the opposite side of the spectrum who ALSO doesn't give a fuck, sassy latrinas, and welfare queens, along with edgy punk marxists who only care about themselves. Gets real nuts. Pretty fun though.

Bubsy is not a communist. He is not a tranny either. He ist der Katzenfuhrer!
RAUS, RAUS, JUDEN MAUS!

Luckily nature has taken care of that problem by making them stand out of the crowd by unique colors, distinct noises, and other tell-tell signs. Meanwhile the average shitposter survives by hiding in plain sight by being plain. Thanks to that single trait those people you are talking about have the subtlety of a drunk nigger.

What's up with the gif

Trope is a common word when talking about works of fiction, and "subversion of expectations" is an extremely common canned phrase as well. Not really sure why you were offended by that, but you were wrong to be.

Because it's a pretentious word and that forum is autistic and SJW as fuck.

I haven't been to that forum apart from following a link there around 2010ish maybe, so I don't know its population as well as you do.

There's no such thing as a pretentious word, user. There's only people who think that words are pretentious because they're intellectually threatened when they see a word more complicated than "boobs".

There are no pretentious words but you can easily be pretentious while presenting your argument. It's like talking down to a small child. There is linguistic sport and then there is just being a pretentious asshole.

That's true, but nobody's come close to doing that. If he felt like a small child when reading then that's on him.

Not him but it felt like I was reading a sonic fan justification that the sonic comics should be considered american classic literature. That how come across when you say that type of shit.

But he didn't. The simple fact is that the movie had to take into account why the fog was there. When dealing with video games the player tends not to think about every small detail unless the game gives them reason to. You can make a million arguments why it worked for the movie but the fact remains that the movie is just an extension of the game and it's IP. You might as well say that the modern star trek movies are just fine compared to the classic movies or series if that is the baseline you are using. The fact remains that the movie should have either been a lot closer to the game cannon or it should have been it's own thing that didn't bear the silent hill tag. It's the same situation as Silent Hill 4, it could have been it's own unique thing but the baggage that comes with the IP has to be taken into account. I mean, the fact that Pyramidhead was there should have set off alarms in your head if you follow the basic lore of the silent hill games.
You pretentious faggot.

I really can't stand female youtubers: They're not funny and they're rarely very smart. Who is this person who took over Twin Perfect? She a girlfriend or something?

I can't stand youtubers in general. I said lets plays were cancer when Holla Forums was shilling for johntron and other garbage and I still stand firmly on that belief. If anything the last 5 years have made me feel smug as fuck at the whole situation.

Well they are cancer so I can't blame you there.

I can't speak to most of those points, user, since I haven't even seen the movie. I'm just saying that the justification they used for the fog - and only the fog - is more interesting, because it adds something to wonder about. The moment you say "it's just magic" you remove all imagination from it -
there's nothing to explain, that shit's just magic.
But if it's coal smoke from a mine burning underground, then why are there monsters? Is it evil coal? Is it actually hell down there? Is the smoke cursed? They never have to give the answers, but it's also not hand-waved away. They leave room for player/viewer interpretation, which is good, because the stories we tell ourselves to fill in the gaps are often better than anything an author can come up with.
That's why fanfiction is so horrible - it's all the details thought up in the head of some other person, and in their head you know it must sound so amazing, but everyone who reads it thinks, at best, "meh, my head-canon is better".

And who said that again? In fact, i'm sure that Silent Hill 3 explained the fog. I hate secondary "fans".

The guy I was responding to:
It's nightmare fog. Pretty encapsulated.

Okay, so esp powers make sense, splitting a person into two beings is okay, killing a god with a fucking metal pipe makes sense but obfuscation by fog somehow breaks your immersion? You really need to rethink if video games are you for.

I never said it broke my immersion, user. Not even close. I just said that one version of the fog was better than the other.

If I say an apple is better than an orange, I'm not saying oranges are shit and break immersion in my meal - I'm saying that I prefer apples.
Now I'm speaking pretentiously.

man you are starting to piss me off. Contain thy autism.

Funny, because that sounds the most honest you have been this entire thread. :^)
That's fair enough but knocking the lore of the foundation of what you like concerns me. It's like seeing a nu tomb raider fan bitch about the classic games.

The only game I seriously played was the first Silent Hill, so as far as I'm concerned the rest of the series doesn't really exist. That's not to shit on the rest of the series, but rather that I can't comment on any of that external lore.
The things I really dug about Silent Hill 1 were the mysterious way the Hell Dimension existed when you went through certain doors in certain orders, and not others, and those strange little black caspers that sneak around the school playing tag, and honestly just exploring that huge town and wondering where the fuck all the people went - there aren't even any bodies. Also the fact that the monsters emit electromagnetic radiation in the FM radio band really got my head spinning, trying to figure out how that could be possible.

That's all just my opinion, of course, like everything else I've posted in this thread, but I tried Shattered Memories and it felt like a parody so I dropped it, and I tried "The Room" and it just didn't feel like Silent Hill so I dropped it.
I just wanted Silent Hill 1, but again, and better.

You should really give 3 a spin then. You will miss some of the minor points but since you played the first one, the third one will really feel like a sequel. Last I heard pcsx2 plays SH3 really well. I still think that the movie should have been it's own thing but being a konami fan is suffering so I know that the lore will be tenuous at best.

Next time I get the horror itch, I'll do just that. I hope it'll be as good as you say, because I'm kind of looking forward to it now.

It's breddy gud and it manages to keep the jump scare to one and it's not even a jump scare, more like a loud noise that makes you want to see what the fuck it was.

That's what drew me into the first game in the first place. I don't know what to call it really - creepiness; shit that makes you turn on the lights at night because you're shit's all disturbed and your imagination's running wild; is that what's called "psychological horror"? Because I love that shit, but it's so damn rare that most games that attempt it often only get small elements of it.
Off the top of my head: Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Darkseed, Dead Space 1 (extended lore and sound design only, sadly), Resident Evil 1+2 are corny as fuck but have their moments, and way the fuck back in the day the original Alone in the Dark games could be pretty creepy.

Then you are doing a disservice by not playing the third one. I remember really liking that and the Fatal Frame series. Make a weekend of it and play that shit.

I've heard really good things.
I've only ever played that indonesian knock off Dread-Out. It was terrible but the girl was cute.

I thought you were a fan of horror games. You need to play that shit!

That's specifically SH2 (and not even accurate, but close).
They copy-pasted that plot so much in western development that everybody thinks SH is about that.
SH is about the cult. The cult is what made the town twisted.

TP was better with Fungo tbh.

1&2 are a bit arcadey and the story is cliché and predictable as fuck but it still has a good atmosphere which is the most important part.
1 in particular is rough, the difficulty curve is kind of all over the place and it's easy to fuck yourself over by playing poorly while knowing what to do leads to you absolutely destroying the game, 2 doesn't have that issue and has many QoL gameplay improvement.
The XBOX version of either is probably the because the lighting is way better and fatal mode is a thing as well as FPS mode in 2.

It's all downhill from here though.3/4/5 simply don't hold up to 2 or even 1 especially 4 and 5.

There's so much bullshit in this post.
You mean the guy who had a girlfriend (who's still in the channel) when Fungo made those claims?

If by talk shit you mean making a little joke in a farewell video.
Which was incredibly cringy since he's autistic and got nervous for no reason, ruining the entire stream by talking over Guy and David and stopping Guy from giving more insight into the development of the game.
>also reconnects and befriends Tomm Hulett, who now admits his faults after leaving Konami
I'm calling bullshit, but prove me wrong, please. I'd LOVE to see that.

You mean those 2 streams of Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill?
Yeah that makes them a Lets Play channel.

They reviewed all the leftover SH games, they even made a 2 hour review of Downpour and Book of Memories, and EVEN reviewed the fucking arcade. All after Fungo left. They're not putting out more SH content because there's nothing of SH left to do. What the fuck are you smoking?

Yeah, exactly, because they took the time to review every SH leftover ever. You're contradicting yourself.

That's true. 2 was the apex of the Fatal Frame series. 3 tried to turn it into a stereotypical nip horror movie and 4 was just "remember this thing from the old games!?". I never bothered with 5 since 4 left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah true

How are you this fucking braindead?

Never gave a fuck about it. How people can care about anything with tank controls is beyond me.

But why.

That's my sole reason to even open this site. To shit on things I don't like. Because others do the same.
No sane person will go into a thread about the game they like on Holla Forums.
This place exists solely to shit on stuff.

Am I wrong? How can I possibly be in the wrong here? Is there a single thread without more than half of the posts shitting on the subject?
Or rather aren't most of the threads are negative to begin with?
Don't fucking start with me.

They should have stopped making Silent Hill games at 2

You are right, this pace is pure aids if you arent some gay weeaboo nintendrone but you do sound like an easily triggered faggot tough

Why? It was their most succesful game so why kill that cash-cow?

Just because a group of people do something doesn't mean you have to do it too. If everyone started eating shit tomorrow, I wouldn't be one of them regardless of how many people on Earth were. Neither would I deliberately go into a thread about a game I don't like and start shitting the place up. It brings no discussion nor anything of value other than stating I hate or dislike something.

fucks like you never understood this place but are probably the majority now

Is this how you justify being a virgin?

Its better to have spiritual successors than an SH sequel now. Each new installment that came out during 2012 felt like a punch in the face. The magic behind the original is gone at this point, and though some of the non Team Silent titles have their moments personally SM is the best one and is a good experience on its own merits, the amount of references to the originals show that the developers either dont have a lot of creativity to do something new or they cant do something new because if its not what the original devs did it will alienate fans. Its that or it becomes cancer like the comics/movies.

It sort of reminds me of what happened to another series like Dead Rising. With how both series go in poor directions in terms of plots or gameplay mechanics they need to reboot it or end it. Maybe P.T was the breath of fresh air SH needed, I wouldnt know since I could never play it.

And to shill youtube videos of course.

Is continually posting in this thread how you justify your existence, or are you trying to reach out and ask for help?

Answer the question.

Why does it matter and if so who cares? Besides for someone who thinks Holla Forums is a hivemind and believes in the hates everything meme you'd surely think that most of the board are Holla Forumsirgins, including yourself user.

OH HO HO HE FUCKING ADMITS IT

YOU FUCKING BITCH ASS PUSSY, YOU CANT GET LAID

AHAHAHAHA LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH, FUCKING WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT

Literally Who?
also, why didn't Konami just kill SH after origins?

Yes.