Stealth thread. you have been spotted edition!

Stealth games are a dying genre but i heard good things about styx is it actually good or is it over hyped? will the vidya industry ever return to this genre? i heard that nuprey had a stealth mechanic how good is it? anways post about stealth games maybe someone will know of something so obscure that we can play to tie us over until the eventual vidya crash.

Also post about how good thief was because i fucking love this game!

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been meaning to play the original metal gear on the msx but haven't gotten around to it. i got the English patch installed and everything but has anyone here played it what am i in for? is it cannon?

I played it a bit on the PS3 with the HD collection and it was a bit of fun. Don't know how different it is from the original, though. I know that it is semi-canon, somewhat. A shit ton of it was retconned throughout the series such as Big Boss being Venom and that he didn't live and run to Zanzibarland, he just dies. I think they completely warped Miller for TPP as well as he has a completely different personality in MG.

Get Shadow Tactics. It's great.

I needed these graphs, thanks for posting these.

Call it morbid curiosity, but I wonder if Ubisoft will bother announcing a new Splinter Cell at E3, and just how fucking shit it will end up being.

How's Clandestine?

First, just play the version in MGS3 on PCSX2.
Of course you retard.
Challenging 2D stealth. Make sure you rescue as many hostages as you can. The puzzles will challenge you the mostm

This.

Get ready to go through a keychain of like 5-10 keys to see which fucking one opens a door, even if it means taking your gas mask off and slowly choking to death to do so.
Lots of clunk, although enemies will get stunned if you punch and run, best tactic for a pacifist run.

Vid is unrelated, one of the best stealth games ever made.

Huh?

Oh.. you probably mean good stealth games. Yeah..

Styx is alright. I had fun playing it, but I wasn't blown away.

The newest Hitman-game was fun. Had some good missions like the Paris and the Italy-ones.

i totally adore thief fan missions

I appreciate this kind of cheek.

Gonna have to try Thief again at some point. Got to the Guild mission when I dropped it. Some good missions sprinkled in with really unfun ones. Doesn't help Expert prolongs the shit ones.

Any suggested Dark Mod missions?

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS

can you do an edit that makes the gamer have sex/rape the waiter?

These charts are starting to really fall out of date; It's missing big name stuff like Endless Rain, Morbid Curiosity, Chalice of Souls, Watery Grave and a couple of others that I can't even remember.

Play The Dark Project instead of Gold this time.

Or he could just skip the Thieves Guild mission.

I remember really enjoying No Honor Among Thieves and A Score to Settle, although I haven't played TDM in a few years.

It will never not be weird seeing my videos posted by other people.

Guild is so bad people recommend out and out skipping it.

The entire Thomas Porter series, but to be honest what you want to do is find an author you really like and play his missions.

I've found Melans tend to be really atmospheric, mantle-heavy stuff where you jump around like a cat burglar.
Sotha's are probably the best mix of anything, picking a theme and going for it.
Springheels are always punishing, really nice city aesthetics, with plenty of focus on reactive AI.

>They still beeline for my exact position

Far Cry was worse than satan about this shit.

Like what in the actual shit?

Anyone want to play the Dark Mod?

"Stealth" mechanics in non-stealth games are always fucking awful. It's just something tacked on that wasn't really looked into all that much.

?…!

Yeah, I remember someone here always brings up how they beat a level in Reach without being detected and it took literal hours upon hours of waiting on patrols to line up, and it ended up making the dialogue look silly.
Wish games would just pick their fucking mechanics and not tack them on.

The dead by daylight video was shit btw. I wanted to tell you.

the problem is that they don't add good mechanics, not the presence of them themselves

What exactly is strange about a bunch of trained mercenary going towards the last gunfire noise they heard while being very cautious after they realize on of theirs got killed?

Does [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Shift]+[End] still work?

Because you can't pinpoint sniper fire, obviously. If you even heard the gun go off, you'd still have to recon a large area to make a guesstimate as to where it's coming from. Not to mention the last thing to do while under sniper fire is walking towards the source look a complete fucking retard.

but if they inspect the bullethold they at least know to some degree (literally, so they don't have to swarm out in all directions) where it came from

It is possible with those electronic sound triangulation devices that are can be seen on humvies and bullet trajectory analysis. It shouldn't be too hard to convert it to not require a humvie. Your second point is vaild probably not even zigsaging towards it would probably be a good idea.

That entirely depends on where and how the bullet impacted, and right in the middle of a combat situation too? Hell no, that's still a fuckhuge swath of land you'd have to scour.

I'm not going to argue semantics about how technologically equipped a bunch of mercenaries are in a certain game. It was about the AI in Far Cry being able to pinpoint the exact you location you shot from the moment you pull the trigger.

When most engagement are within 150m it's hardly sniper fire although I'm no /k/ommando so I have no idea if pinpointing the position of gunfire from such a distance is feasible, but yeah it's a limitation of how the AI deals with you (aka lemming rush to lastknownposition beacon) you could argue they have the same radar thing you have since you steal it from them to begin with so they would have have something that would alert them immediately of the death of one of theirs and also would greatly help them pinpoint your position from you gunfire.

Metal Gear 2 is the best game of the whole IP, everything else after that are just movies.

×wouldn't be a good idea. That said over a mile with a suppressor should make it very hard to hear the crack especially when the area around the target is filled with distractions.

You for got about Ghost Babel.

Well, while we're at it let's also assume they have magical x-ray goggles that lets them look through solid fabric and foliage, so they can shoot you while you're unable to see them.

I get what you're saying, but the initial point was always that the Far Cry AI is either incredibly retarded or has superhuman capabilities, and outright cheats. The AI in SoFII is similarly retarded: The jungle level in that game is a massive pain in the ass because the AI completely ignores all the foliage constantly covering you, so you keep getting hit by enemies you can't even see.

MGS aren't stealth games.

Pick one.

No gunz detected. Try actually shooting a gun with a suppressor on it before acting like a source of knowledge on the topic

It was suppressed, that's what's strange, can this debate end now?
You can hit an enemy with suppressed fire a mile away in FC3, it's just another reason to hate the game.

My lord, that third image with the room filled with loot…what fan mission is that from?

I'm not sure why you'd think that's bad. I would consider it a blessing to be able to shoot someone with a supressor from a mile away.

It is, but seems to think this is an impossibility and I think it makes the game too piss easy outside of the fact that the AI is, as mentioned, literally psychic.
It means I set up a sniper position in a way where they'll all travel towards me single file to make it a sniper's hallway.
I mean, I'm playing Crysis and the AI is less than amazing but it at least vaguely has a sense of not magically knowing what to do at all times to fuck a sneaking player over.

I think we can all agree that SC Chaos Theory had the best guard AI though, they'd memorize a location and notice shit changed.

IIRC its Augustine's Revenge by bbb for thief gold. Very good cityscape mission with minor flaws; poorly written a/o silly readables and a lack of polish in some areas.

Are you one of the idiots who went to Donal's first and raged, because he didn't pay attention to npc convos, or have poor visual-spatial intelligence?

Bad advice. Song of the Caverns is a top-tier mission.

Those people are wrong. Thieves' Guild, on its own, is a good om. Only problem is poor placement which screws up the flow of the narrative.

Yeeaaahhh, It would be fine on it's own but instead it's between two of the best missions in the game.

My ass, man.
It's okay to say they're too action oriented or too easy, but when 80-90% of the game is sneaking past people you can't say it "isn't stealth", especially with as much going on mechanically as is.

It's a little clunky, but it's still pretty fun. Metal Gear 2 is much better though.

I've played a bit of Dark Mod, and still play it every now and then. It plays alright, the lamp is pretty nice in a game with a lot of darkness, but the sound design is definitely off. Some footstep sounds don't sound correct, such as stone sounding more like hollow stone tapping against stone, or are too quiet or loud, like how wood sounds about as loud as metal.
The sounds being off make it feel like you need to have played Thief beforehand to know what the noise levels are, instead of just being able to hear it. That said, I still enjoy it because it's more true to Thief than Thi4f or even Thief 3.

And you have to play through Thieves' Guild and The Mage Towers to get there, so it doesn't really matter.

You can easily skip any mission you want.

I don't know why people bitch about these levels when the fucking Haunted Cathedral level exists. The one where you have to explore the city digging through garbage for 2k loot.

Bad mentality to get into, you'll encourage a habit of skipping any level as soon as a minor annoyance arises.

Mostly because they're not just any old level, they were specifically included as bonus levels in the re-release so they stand out from the rest.

The controls/physics in the Dark Mod are definitely off. Like knocking someone out can cause their body to just completely sperg out. It's harder to place where you're actually standing. Little shit like that makes the game basically unplayable for me.

Seemed pretty seemless to me. The first 4 missions vary way harder than the jump from assassins to thieves guild. Even the mage towers didn't seem to stand out that much aside from how fucking huge it was.

You're not wrong but Thieves Guild is retardedly huge.
I think it's the biggest level in the series outside of the ending to Thief 2, and it's less than 5 missions into the first game.

That is not a sense of flow, man.

Know what the brush count is compared to bonehoard?

JFC even the marines had to make a video to dispel your retardedness. Guys, suppressors don't lower velocity. You're dumber then crayon eaters.

It's sure as fuck a way more confusing layout, man, especially with how many goddamned tunnels there are.

You are either lying or playing the cucked console Far Cry sequels

Reading comprehension

This.
Bonehoard is vertically oriented, and everything is fairly mapped out well, with a strong sense of linearity early on building into increasing amounts of branches in paths, climaxing into that central set of tombs.
Thief's Guild is two separate bases with three separate floors each, interconnected by sewer system tunnels.
From the very moment you rope down you end up in an area with no more or less than 2-3 entrances and exits at all times.

Again, that'd all be fine for a later level, but this is smack dab in the middle of the early game before the main crux of the plot has even been revealed, and the player is still coming to grip with the mechanics.
Expecting them to figure out the most complex layout of the entire series was a massive fucking mistake.

This isn't a third into the game material, this is at least halfway in and I don't think there's any other mission approaching that level of difficulty.

Can we all just agree the worst fucking thing possible is a Thief knockoff with no actual sound design? Vid related, it's like someone took all the gameplay, all the footsteps and took out any sense of actual atmosphere so you end up with a bunch of cardboard robots walking around in a cardboard world while you talk to text people to get your objectives.
I know this game has it's defenders but just in general this honestly blows me away even if the gameplay alone means it's better than Thief 4 seeing as how TDM is free and essentially a better version of the same fucking thing, not to mention Thief 1/2 are both cheaper.

The fucking water noises in particular sound like someone is toying around with water in the bathtub.

It would be nice if they made actual sequel of Thief. With modern graphics aiming towards that gothic fantasy athmosphere it could be great.

Ugh. Don't remind me about that. I had to backtrack to the start of the level after I completed the main objectives of the mission just so I could get a diamond to complete he loot objective. It really wasn't fun…

Some day, user…probably around when Eidos loses its rights to Thief.

You sure? Some of the fan missions in these charts still stand out today such as Sturmdrang Peak, Rose Cottage and A Better Tomorrow.

This isn't Reddit, you won't get downboated for not couching your opinion in appeals to the majority.

wut? I'm saying that the charts are a few years old and are missing a bunch of missions from big name authors that have been released since, not that the missions in the charts are bad, I don't even know how you could read my sentence that way.

All that is medieval is not gothic, user, there's very little gothic architecture at all outside of return to cathedral.

Is it more comfy to run thief 1&2 in WINE or windows 7?

The GOG versions of Thief Gold and Thief II run perfectly for me under WINE.

Thanks, user, time to be skneaky breeki and steal some shit.

Remember when playing Thief 3 be sure to get the fan patch.

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

It significantly improves the game by making it run smoother and also having a mod that removes the loading screens in between levels.

I don't know much about rooty tooty point and shooties, but wouldn't a suppressor increase bullet velocity instead of lowering it? At least that's what I would expect from a big hollow can with a hole at the end of your gun.

uh oh, i found the stealth thread!
now everyone else in the base knows exactly where it is even if you kill me hahahaha

No. Suppressors do nothing to the trajectory or speed of a bullet.
The main drawback of a suppressor is that it makes the gun run hotter and dirtier and limits suppressive capability, since overheating a suppressor can lead to baffle strikes, thus destroying the suppressor.

Generally, the larger the suppressor chambers, the lower the chamber pressure and temperature increase rate.
This means improved reliability and suppressive ability, as well as increased weight.

In a recoil-operated automatic, like an M1911, putting too much weight on the barrel will cause it to fail to eject or fail to feed.

Gas systems can also have FTE/FTF issues with suppressors.

Supersonic rounds will still give away your position.
Suppressors on supersonic rounds just limits the radius at which targets know you're there.

Hmm, I mean it limits suppressive fire capability.
Just realized that can get confusing.
Suppressed weapons used for suppressive fire…

why making everything so complicated. suppressor makes the barrel longer, but is build so the gas that pushes the bullet out, goes in the suppressor pockets, weakening the pressure, so its obvious, that the speed of bullet is lower and falls dawn earlier

I'm not making it complicated.
You just have no business talking about the mechanical operation of guns.

It does not slow down the bullet.
It does NOTHING to the bullet.
The barrel ENDS where the suppressor starts.
As soon as the bullet exits the barrel, velocity increase STOPS.

Can't tell if you're a troll.

What if we talked about stealth games?

How can the gas going into the pockets produce less pressure than if it just dissipates into the air?

Mark of the Ninja was pretty cool.

Those need to be updated, or at least create a new one.

we'd inevitably get into arguments on how AI should act in stealth games while completely forgetting if AI acted how real people do the neckbeards here would call it unfair and unrealistic

I desperately would like a hentai version of mark of the ninja where you rape fine bitches from the shadows. Instead of stringing up dead niggas you leave bukkake'd bitches on the ground for her friends to find and panic over.

I had an alright time with styx, most of my issues were bug related and as long as I avoided the invisibility spell it was a treat.

Please calm down with the vids, you're making it look like I'm shilling myself user

To be fair I think the majority kind of agrees, that game felt fucking empty.

Amen to that.

Chaos Theory still has the best AI of any stealth game, ever.

Oh. Apologises to that. I didn't even read your sentence completely. Still, I agree with your statement. I can think of a few modern missions which could be added into the list. Also, the two lists should be merged into one for easier browsing.

Did they make that level in Minecraft? The first thief didn't even make levels this blocky.

TBH I wish those where more common, but yeah it is fucking garbage compared to Thief. Small as fuck levels, retarded story, no fucking gadgets other than the flash bomb. Just all around shit.

When I first saw that I was like "Damn, they must have made the levels fucking huge if they spread the resources out this thin". But no. The levels are tiny.

The dude really half-assed it.

Odd question but does anyone here MAKE TDM missions?
If so I have a sick idea and no time to spend making it if you're interested.