Is steam not okay to use a digital distribution platform anymore?

Is steam not okay to use a digital distribution platform anymore?

If so where do you get all your games then, when they're only on there?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/Mark447
steamcommunity.com/groups/SSAVCH
lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=alternatives to steam
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sage

i don't pplay video games

faggot

I ask because of this image, what did gaben do?

have you tried killing yourself?

Go back to reddit, don't take this on a negative or offensive way, you clearly are not a regular user of 8/v/ nor any kind of imageboards at all and there is a good reason for that, your kind of people don't belong here, going back is the best thing you can do, goodbye.

Summer is truly the worst and cruelest season of all

Holla Forums hates buying games, Steam makes you buy games, understood?

and there's this faggot.

That man has beautiful eyelashes.

BAZOINGO

And there are the faggots who support a greater evil.

at least pretend to know what you're doing by putting sage in all fields or some shit.

I see CDPR is pushing viral marketing anew. Wouldn't want to release the pressure with those sweet "leaks" around the corner!

Summer is proof that God hates us.

bait/10

Fuck off summerfag. I'm not even gonna waste a (You) on this shit post.

The funny typo aside, 2 hours played max for a refund is pretty shit.

1. do not buy PC games
2. only buy physical releases of games which are self contained
3. do not buy digital games
4. ultimately realize console games are the only games you can actually own a copy of.

ID 6828b5
You're a consolefag and you should kill yourself.

sure thing gabe

How is 2 hours not enough to see whether you like game or not?

There are plenty of games that pretend to offer depth which they don't have. ARK, Elite Dangerous, most strategy titles for example.

Fuck off newfag.

I played neither of those, but I don't quite understand how game can "pretend" to have depth. Game can pretend to have content, but depth?

Gee I wonder what they did.

Nice VPN. Which one do you use faggot? Kill yourself.

(Checked)
Simple. The game and its mechanics look great at first but once you try the more involved stuff it all breaks apart. See ARK: It LOOKS like a cool survival game with dinosaurs but once you actually try to tame one to progress you'll notice how long every fucking thing takes and how much of a fucking grind the game really is. Same with ED, 2 hours of playtime isn't even enough to get a new player out of his starter ship so it's impossible to realize how grindy and empty the game is.

can't even run disks without downloading day 1 patches.

Play Skyim
You'll understand

Also this, yes.

okay assuming I actually want to use my power as a consumer to support games I like what are my options

you buy on steam or gog. There is no other way slight of sending a check directly to the developer.

GOG. I don't really know how well it works or how big the selection is but there's that. Otherwise you'll have to look for everything in dev websites or hard copies.
Or, you know, just stick with steam if you like the service. I think it's good enough to keep using it

Steam, GOG, Itch.io (developers can take 100% of the profits if they want), the fags who try selling things on Gamejolt, and I'm pretty sure you can chose how much money goes to the devs using the Humble Store.
Selling indie games completely by yourself without using another storefront would be a technical, financial, and legal pain in the ass unless you sold physical copies locally.

shut the fuck OP
gaben is lord
suck Valves cock like good cuteboi

you shouldnt be saying that sorta stuff ironically, user

OP, you just dont use a digital distribution platform
it is that simple; you can play singleplayer stuff and buy physical copies if you really want

Don't you know? You can't buy anything. Supporting other people for the work they do is bad, and paying people in any way, shape or form is giving in to the shadow jew government.

Tell that to the suckers that bought Tony Hawk 5 where in a few years the game disc will be worthless once the servers die and are locked out of the mandatory patch that includes most of the game data.

You mean the things that already existed before Steam?

Daily reminder the only suitable times to pay for vidya is from GOG or with physical media

Dude, where have you been.

Nah.

You know what? I don;t even care if I was blown the fuck out or whatever. You've legitimately made my day better. Thanks.

Cromartie makes all men brothers.

Valvedrones are a fucking joke, you skinwastes don't even know how to perceive reality anymore, you take your loss and show it as a trophy, really, I wonder what is the level of mental damage necessary to achieve this level of cognitive dissonance.

actually, in his defense, you can chargeback to your bank account or put it in steam shekel.

No, not at all.

No they aren't. There's other online stores like GOG and physical copies are still sort of a thing. Indie games tend to have their own stores too. If it is an exclusive, then you can at least pirate.

See above.

holy shit why are you guys so hostile

Your just now realizing this faggot?

pirate EVERYTHING

*chuckles*
You can't pirate online games

TREBLINKA

Personally, I can't find anything wrong with Steam. People complain about it as if there's any actual alternative, it's the best thing we have right now in terms of practicality and thankfully that's not even a compromise. More over the complaints I see are not actually valid or relevant, Gabe being a Shylock doesn't mean anything to me and doesn't prevent me from playing games. I only ever started seeing this shit when other companies started putting out their own platforms that are absolute trash, it makes me wonder who could be behind this.

Not to mention it's too damn bright, if you have windows above you, you're fucked when playing vidya.

a. summer as fuck
b. gog is still cool as far as I know and as far as i'm concerned

Not an argument, not even an excuse. This is the type of response I'm talking about.

You charge back to whatever you used to make the purchase you dumb nigger.

The only dumb nigger is whoever links any of their personal info to their Steam account after what happened during Christmas. If that wasn't enough to teach people not to trust Steam with their credit card and bank numbers, then they'll probably never learn.

What practicality are you talking about? Opening steam, waiting while it tries to go online, navigating a slow client to launch or install my games, and then have it hoarding my system's resources while I play. How is it more practical than just opening an .exe and playing?

Again, people make complaints like this, it's never been a problem for me. It connects right away and is quick to launch the games, more importantly it doesn't exclude you from doing what you mentioned. Steam is a distribution platform, if you buy games on it that don't have DRM you don't need steam running to play them, at that point what's the difference?

I just don't see it, I do not see the problems everyone else seems to have. I seriously have to imagine that it's just FUD, but I can't see the reason for it when nobody is pushing an alternative. Years ago I thought it might have been EA with their Origin platform but that can't be the case anymore. Yet people still like to make up complaints about Steam for some reason.

/thread

Did credit card info get taken too? I don't remember. Nobody should be letting companies store their CC info anyway.

Part of it is that people dislike how everything has become centered around Steam. Physical game releases have become a practical joke of being a box with a Steam code in them.

Do you realize you are the one not making any arguments? Repeating "It's not an issue to me" over and over it's "works on my machine" tier.
Less than 0,1% of the steam library is DRM free, even most games that are DRM free when bought from other stores have DRM on steam, is safe to assume that selling on Steam without Steam DRM is some kind of hidden, obscure option that most publishers don't even know they have or is inconvenient by Steam's terms of use.
Of course another DRM is not the solution, but every store that sells DRM free .exe files is: GOG, itch.io (this one gives a higher % of the money to devs so is probably better), etc are better than steam, and a lot of people in this thread already said so, the "nobody is pushing an alternative" part comes straight from your ass.
Then complaints are not make up, as much as you want to ignore them.

Explain to me how I should refute your claims, if you say meatballs rain from the sky all I can say is "not in my country". You say Steam is slow, it's not on my machine and never has been, nobody I know makes this complaint, I only ever see it here.

You complain my argument is "works on my machine" which is is, but yours is simply "doesn't work on my machine", probably an isolated issue, not the general case. While its an argument for you, it's not applicable to everyone else.

As a long time user of the platform who regularly deals with other long term users, I think I would know if these complaints were real or not.

Fucking autism, save your flamewars fot real threads

Also this needs addressing
I should clarify that when I say "alternative" I mean "a better alternative" not just any alternative. I could open up my own distribution service and it would technically be an alternative, what I'd rather see is people suggesting something that is better than Steam but nobody posts anything even on par with it. The only thing they tout is more profit for the devs, which I am not against but as a consumer that doesn't help me in any way.

Even you are talking about just that and DRM, the profit margins are the fault of valve but not a complaint of mine, the DRM is not the fault of Valve, that is left up to the developers and is not inherent to Steam. I feel like that's a really unfair point to make, to blame Valve for the devs decisions to include DRM on their platform. Complain to them.

Pic related.

Go back to 4chan.

Summer really is a good argument that god hates us.

Getting a physical copy is best. Failing that, GOG is okay, but you should watch out for their games with DRM-locked multiplayer. GOG is not very honest on their DRM-free policy tbh.

Steam is cancer though.

That shit left a bitter taste in my mouth. I wouldn't trust GoG, just pirate their installers.

This is a steam friends thread now!
steamcommunity.com/id/Mark447 looking for friends, add.

Steam is awesome, ignore these low IQ subhumans.

this, based gabe

How much do you want to bet it's not even his account, but some Chad that bullied him? :^)

Dude that's our BO's profile

you saw Gaben eating that stake in commercial?
thats your hopes and dreams

Gonna need a source on that, can't find what your talking about anywhere.

steamcommunity.com/groups/SSAVCH this used to be his main group, there also was an 8ch/v/ steam group he owned but he deleted it
mark is based

GoG and jewgle did a real good job scrubbing a lot of their tracks but www rpgcodex com/forums/index.php?threads/pay-for-torrented-games-at-gog-com.42099/page-6#post-1085213 is a good place to start looking.

Like pottery.

Nice one

Just a reminder that your cancer thread was removed but the giant dick thread is still up. :^)

it's Holla Forums culture you fucking newfag redditor like LOL, 4am, waifu threads and gamergate.

Hey, I'M not the one who deleted your thread. I'm just stating what happened.

i'm just a chronic shitposter and wanted to post Mark's our BO if you aren't aware steam profile.

i've gotten banned 3 times already
g-d bless dynamic IPs

I love and hate how shitposting seems to thrive during the summer. Plenty of people to bite low effort b8 to the point it's almost infuriating.

This site is dead anyway lad, take the accelerationism pill, the true redpill.
to be quite honest I wouldn't mind if forced tripcodes became a thing so I could filter every last shitposter.

Nah, I wouldn't say it's dead. It's more like it has a hell of a fever. Right now it's fight between the natural antibodies and the foreign infection. The normalfag virus has already taken 4cuck. I wonder if a site made by a cripple has better resilience.

the site has lost alot of traffic and the people who are left are autistic as fuck

I would rather be friends with a well meaning autist than any normalfag. An autist may be weird and annoying but they tend to stick to their morals. The average normalfag breaks what little morals they have every day by their actions. I guess I just put a person's character above all else.

I had a discussion with a friend about the state of imageboards and frankly I want classical user account based forums to come back, right now there is only 3 things that exist in the catch all webforum space, 4chan/Holla Forums, Something Awful and Reddit. I wouldn't even mind trying out something awful but fuck no am I gonna be a 10buckcuck for Lowtax. I do like the idea though, shitposting can be financially punished and that's amazing since it keeps (1) and done smug anime face.jpg shitposters away.

How many console online fees are you paying right now?

autists though have generally ruined most sites just by "sticking to their morals" tbh

Some of my friends had problems with steam as well, mainly failing to connect and not giving the option to launch offline mode, effectively blocking us from our games, but it's true that throwing anecdotal evidence at each other we are going nowhere.

Why are you implying than depending on the steam client is better than not depending on anything at all? What advantages does steam offer for someone who just wants to play video games? Also
If you don't care about the profit the devs get then this whole talk is useless because you might as well pirate everything.

also: manners seem to be a lot better there, people don't seem to post in threads they don't like, while on here if anything is deemed as "cancer" by the average user, they'll jump in that thread and shit it all up. Filtering by one by one is annoying as shit.

What? I don't own any consoles.

That's a bad idea for a lot of reasons. At most you just need a basic set of rules that defuse infighting and keep to the board's primary focus and moderators that only b& using those rules and not "interpreting" them. Having to do that just means that your rules are too lax in that area.

You sound like the type of faggot who shits on rpgcodex.

Yeah? Cause that's exactly the same mindset chumps use to justify paying to use their own internet.

so long as that action is kept to shill threads then it's fine by me but yeah there's a problem with it but actually the people who do that are only afew really autistic fuckers

I'm sure I'm going to shit on the new 40k codexes tbh

That's because they are posting in a place where they can get gulag'd for wrongthink. That's a good way to create an echo chamber.

Too many users make everything too chaotic, too many moderators and rules makes everything rulecucked and you get banned instantly.

I think it's all getting pretty fucking retarded at this rate, saying that a new game was announced and wanting to discuss it and posting it's trailer, you'll instantly be called shill by someone.

All I expect is people to not reply in threads they don't have any intent to discuss. That's it, that's all I want. Manners on this place and all imageboards are pretty shit, but there's nothing like this, there is no catch all, discuss any topic forum like imageboards, the closest alternatives are Reddit and SA.

there are shills who shit up threads too though

how I deal with those kinda threads is if it's been posted more then twice then it's a shill trying to make a general

You mean Holla Forums? You sound like you just want reddit tier bullshit with the freedom of image boards. You might as well ask for a working example of communism while you are at it. How the hell can you expect something natural when you stifle the userbase like that? Why not ask for a karma system similar to reddit then? No need to reaffirm your stance when the toxic side is gone in a few clicks. :^)

I just wish users on imageboards didn't shitpost in threads they don't like.
I don't like Overwatch, ASSFAGGOTS or 4am, so I'm not gonna bother going into them, I'm not gonna accomplish anything if I do go into them, it's a waste of time for me and there's no need to start shitflinging, that's all I want, for everyone to do that, and all would be perfect. Public bans with a special rule like that would be a good start, IMO.

You can just lurk more and maybe people won't bully you. Maybe.

And if you notice, the low effort b8 use to be laughed out of the thread when the person knows they don't have an argument. However, what happens when they do have a point? Or just lurk and not be a complete faggot.

the board is based off of shitpostings, the mods and the bo do it and expect people to do, this is how they judge when they're doing something right or not, that's why there's so many dedicated shitposters just on about one topic at a time

Seriously though, if you like the 10bux rule then just fuck off to SA. They fit your criteria.

GOG has done some equally shitty things but they're lightyears ahead of Steam, I personally fucking LOVE the extra goodies they give out for free. Not to mention Steam only added refunds after Australian and EU law forced them to, but the first time they "added" refunds, what they did was give you the right for a refund, but the second you buy the game, you lose that right, the second time after a long legal battle, they finally started handing out refunds for 2 hours of game time maximum in one week.

I thought this was common knowledge? They were in the business of selling abandonware for money and a lot of the time the current rights-holders didn't have any copies either so they pirated it from the same places everyone does, but sold it for money instead. It was one of those questionable things where a lot of their games were listed under "You could buy it if you want, but the original developers are still not going to see a dime of that." I guess it became a bit of a business practice for them, eh?

IIRC the CD Projekt folks were originally in the business of selling warez until they went official and legit. I think you can still find some of their staff names on warez scene NFOs and shit.

Go join somethingawful then. They definitely don't have any shitposters or marketers there.

There's no denying that GOG is drastically superior to steam, from customer service to refund policy to DRM policy, but they still have issues. It bugs me in particular that they promise DRM-free games but then see no issues with selling games with DRM-locked multiplayer for instance. I view that "false advertisement" and sometimes I wonder if they need to get sued before they realize to knock that shit off. It's one thing to have a central multiplayer system that requires serials/keys/etc. and another to make that the only way you can have multiplayer, especially when you require people to go through your online servers to host "LAN" games. It's not even subtle that your online servers are being DRM crippleware there.

sage

yeah, steam offline, WHEN it works. Not only does it require you to connect every x days(I've heard two weeks) but sometimes shit just breaks and I'm unable to use it without logging again when I've logged in the same day.

also reminder that you can't trade the gay cards games give you if you haven't paid for anything in a year(getting a game gifted to you doesn't count).

I'll take gog over steam any fucking day of the week, and piracy with what isn't in the former(and piracy first anyway, so I don't waste my time getting a refund over a shit game)

lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=alternatives to steam
inb4 >google
op deserves it

Congratulations on missing the point of the thread. Obviously there are alternatives to steam, i was asking why some have lost their trust with steam.

Sending me to a list that starts with Origin is not relevant and contradictory to the thread.

yeah have fun buying 20bux gift cards at wal-mart you autistic fuck

lamo

also there's Desura but that keeps on getting killed and brought back to life by the next company over and over again

Are you one of the retards who gets butthurt because everytime he makes an ASSFAGGOTS thread he's told a hundred time that his tastes are shit and that he should kill himself?

Even if I did buy Steam cards, at least I wouldn't have to worry about some random fuck having access to my credit card information when Gabe and his chucklefucks shit the bed again.

enjoy your poverty buddy

Boy, you'd have loved the old Usenet, then.

You know, back before AOL gave its users open access and fucking ruined it.

literally not an argument
Is this bait?
yep, confirmed for bait…

4u

doubleclick.exefaggot

I don't care if it's arguably the least cancerous out there, it's still unacceptable.

Thanks for reading all the responses before giving your valuable input, dumbass.

I think people here are neglecting the fact that Steam pretty much holds an iron fist over the market. It's a monopoly.

so what do the rest of you use if you don't use steam?

I've always hated summer it is good to truly be among kindred spirits even if im a total fuckin newfag least im not a cuckchan newfag refugee now back to lurking i go