JRPGs for non-weeaboos

Trying to get into jRPGs, what are some good ones to start with?

I just finished the story mode in Tactics Ogre for the PSP, but the awful grind for Newly Unlocked classes turns me off from 100%-ing it.

What are some similar games?

Final Fantasy Tactics, made by the same team but with a much more streamline mechanics. Similar plot but set in the War of the Roses instead of a medieval Kosovo war.

Chrono nigger

You have to play the series in chronological order, not release order for it make sense though.

Xenosaga 1 (first scene)->Xenoblade Chronicles -> Xenosaga 1, 2, 3 -> Xenogears -> Chrono Trigger -> Chrono Cross -> SRW: OG series

One of the biggest fattest bait-and-switches in my life.

I like to format like this too!

Why would you do this to yourself, OP?

Oy, at least the portraits don't look like 12 year olds, it's good enough.

Hopefully Matsuno and Square patch stuff up.

I guess it's fire emblem that spoiled me too early.

have you considered Final Fantasy XIV? its a wow clone but it is several times better than wow in everything, I have actually ran into several people whose first MMO was FFXIV and they all love the game. I think what you're actually looking for is Strategy RPG's though in which case I really cant help other than telling you to play fire emblem Sacred stones.

Look into Grandia and Freedom Wars. Both of those games got me over my hatred of RPGs.

The whole thing about the gooks is that they mostly use feminine boys and girls in their games.

JRPGs are weebshit though and you're listing shit weebs love the shit out of. If you want something Western in appearance but made by Japanese, go for something like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma. But truth be told, JRPGs with strategy aspects are built around long time investment in mind. I hear from friends that the two recent Fire Emblem games are the least grindy of this genre though. Albeit, neckbeards will lose their shit at you playing a more casualized version of the series.

It's like playing Persona instead of Shin Megami Tensei. Even though there's a reason why SMT is on handhelds for a reason.

What do you mean by that? Are you referring that a game is for weaboos if it has cure 10000 year old lolis doing cute things fighting ancient dragons, or that it just has an anime style? If it's just the anime style, then sadly most JRPGs have that and you will miss out some very good games like
Also Tactic Ogres looks more like an SPRG rather than a typical JRPG. A similar game would be Disgaea 1 and 2 for the PSP(it has also been ported to PC), but that might be what you were referring when talking about weaboo games and it also requires some amount of grinding.

I don't know what the fuck "weeaboo" even means anymore; it used to just refer to those cringy autists who went to anime cons.

I like FW, but OP looks like the kind of guy who gets triggered by anime faces so I don't know if he would be able to enjoy it.

Welcome to neo-Holla Forums, where anything Japanese is
"weeaboo"

Play a real RPG, retard.

Anti-Japanese game sentiment is endorsed because it breaks their narrative.

Vid related, not even unironically. It's one of the few Western developed JRPGs, if you ascribe the term to RPGs with dynamic combat.

Wizardry was created in the west but nips love the hell out of it and make their own spin-offs and clones. If you like dungeon crawling, I can recommend you the PS2 game. There's also the Breath of Fire series with Dragon Quarter being a love it or hate it type of game.

I've played most good (meaning western) RPGs so now I need something else to fill my time.

Here's a list of JRPGs I've played that I could recommend to a goon/semi normalfag without them (hopefully) dropping their spaghetti

Missing Valkyrie Profile.

RELEASE ORDER
for ever and always

that's the joke
those are games from unrelated franchises

Are you retarded, a cripple or both?

Tactics Ogre is an SRPG. So, you'd probably want stuff like FF Tactics, SMT Devil Survivor, Front Mission, Shining Force, Jeanne d'Arc.
That kinda stuff.

I think the japs even bought the wizardry license now but I can't find the information. Wikipedia doesn't mention anything about licenses in the article.

Motherfucking Xanadu Next.

Also try the Ys games.

I'd say it's more unrealistic than anime. I mean a jumping attack is way too risky to do because you can't alter your trajectory or stop mid-air so you are open to counters. As for the horse, the knight's the problem. The sword should be swung from below, not from above. Either that or stab with it. The pixel art is pretty good on those though. The DS FEs were more realistic in their attacks but the animations didn't look so good.

Not actually. Lucca shows up in Xenogears, and KOS-MOS is playable in a couple of SRW off shoot games, which are now canon thanks to Moon-Dwellers.

Cameos aren't canon user.
I'm not even going to click that picture, I don't want to catch autism.

user…

Then I hope you enjoy playing the same games with a different coat of paint.

Persona 2 trust me

Might as well tell someone to shoot himself

It's a shame Dragon quarter is viewed as the game that killed the series because it's a really good RPG. It's also the right mix of really challenging but balanced. And the battle system really draws me in once you get a full party together. If only Lin was a bit more useful early game Like Nina

Biggest problem with games being non-weeb is that I recommended Racettear to friend who checks stock market every day.
He fucking enjoyed jewing people out of their money. Ignore the weeb and just find a game you want.

Also Nier:Automata because you can play it on PC.

If they don't mind the rpg aspect then convince them to play strange journey.

I spent over 150 hours on this, and don't regret a moment of it.

I know I'm going to do it all over again when Redux comes out.

It still slightly kills me inside that they are trying to milk Strange Journey.

What is it with people constantly asking about video games for non-weebs lately?

Also, the entirety of SMT before Persona 3.

Microsoft is pulling an anti-japanese astroturf lately.

even if Freedom Wars were a JRPG, it's a steaming pile of boring, repetitive bullshit with no real end-game or story ending. It wasn't even worth the $5 I paid for a physical copy.

no idea. i wonder if it's some leftovers from halfchan making their way here. These non-weeb threads weren't even a thing until a few months ago for the most part.

maybe it's another goon tactic, they realized that they won't do much by just screaming "Weebs are bad, anime is shit", so they decided to do it more subtly. Not to say that every person looking for non-weeb games is a goon but many of them may be.

you're probably right. And yeah, i know what you mean. There's nothing wrong with wanting a non-weeb game, but this has been trending pretty recently on the site, as though Holla Forums had never been full of anime-loving nerds already.

do tell user

I mean, it's just the rate of the threads that is kind of alarming. It feels as if almost every thread about Japanese games is followed with "but no weebshit please"

Its obvious that microsoft is failing in the games industry, and they lost both raiden 5 and scalebound. What else could they do but to sabotage the jap games in the west. Another user said they did the same thing 10 years ago, so i believe its coordinated astroturfing.

What really pisses me off is that it's a stated fact in the game that people need to wear Demonica's because the environment is hostile and toxic, and then we get some trendy fucker right out of Apocalypse running around with headphones and nothing else. Demon hunter my ass I'll just replay my old copy of SJ and do something that isn't Neutral route for a change.

precisely

right
what? I thought they just canned the project all-together. You mean to say they've actually lost the rights to the game?

No, im saying that the game got canned, but they lost the only exclusive they had left. There is literally no reason to get an xbone now.

What you're saying makes sense, but anti-Japanese game sentiment has been a thing and growing steadily since 2007. Seems to me that it's less MS astroturfing and more MS being damn thankful that SJWs are doing the astroturfing for them for an entire decade and for free.

I guess its a combination of microsoft, goons, and sjws.

My personal list.
Feel free to call me a faggot.

Valkyire Profile

Valkyire Profile 2.

Valkyire Profile Covenant* The MC is an edgelord faggot but don't let that stop you from enjoying the game.

Ring of Red, because there's nothing more satisfying than a plan coming together.

Megaman Battle Network series. 2 is the best one but overall they're pretty fun until the bullshit with the split versions occurs.
'
Demon Souls

Star Ocean 2 The Second Story. If you pick up the Remake, you deserve ever bit of cancerous bullshit forced down your throat.

Tales of the Abyss, I recently played it for the first time. If I had played it when it first came out, I would have had a vastly higher opinion of it.

Wild Arms 1, 2 & 3.
4&5 are hard sells due to the more fantastical nature the series takes on after 3.

Paper Mario and the Thousnand Year Door.

Persona 1 & Persona 2 , not the remakes.
Persona 5 is Persona 2 with a happy ending, if you're inclined to flashy bullshit.

SMT Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Evangel—-Devil Survivor 2

Shadow Hearts series. One of the few RPGs set in America , London and Germany.

Xenosaga 1 & 3. Watch 2 on youtube. That combat system in 2 is like garging your own testicles while wearing a cheesegrater as braces.

You're a fucking sadist.

Found the weebfag.

Wrong you fucks. Oldfag here, the anti-Japanese mentality actually started with the release of the original Xbox back in 2000, MS did rang a few ads saying how the Xbox was the American console for "hardcore" gamers.

They stop mid 00's only to then probably do so again recently. And like it has been mentioned in this thread, Western games aren't doing so hot right now, especially when the ones joining the Western games industry are a bunch of fags, kikes and LGBTQMENTALILLNESS. So it's no surprise the anti-Japanese agenda is back on the plate. If someone legitimately doesn't like Anime artstyle they should say so, and lots of Japanese games don't necessarily have it.

I really wish he would come back to make RPGs great again.

Alex? I'll bet she's a demon in disguise or some shit.

The last great SO game. At least story-wise.

Would you mind explaining why the PSP remake is shit? I haven't played it. All I know is they retconned Welch from 3 into it.

I will be fair.
Second Evolution is only shit if you've played Second Star Story.

Mechanically, the game is a vast improvement over the original - - except pickpocketing now punishes you regardless of if you did it when no one was around or not.

Storywise ; They completely rewrote the characters and their personalities and mangled them into new abominations.

Celine,Bowman and Chisato aren't the same characters they were in the original, even though there was nothing wrong with their dialogue. Especially when you consider it ties into their talents.

Dias is the only character who benefited from the rewrite as he was mostly silent, rarely opening up to anyone except Rena - but even then him being silent, brood and really chill was his character. Him suddenly turning into a chatty Cathy with Claude is just weird.

Rena and Claude took the maximum fucking brunt of the re-write.
They claimed " they just fixed the translation" but when a character goes from Strong & Independent, but not perfect to Weak & Dependent Moeblob She Can Do No Wrong , Isn't she so cute Waifu-bait, there's a clear fucking problem.

Claude is just Chad Thundercock of the 126th Star Cluster. His new dialogue is infinitely more cockier than his original stuff.

One more thing, the gay/lesbian PAs are now just "close friendships" to avoid offending people. I never really cared because they were hilarious and hard as fuck to get. Because having Claude end up with Noel is still funny.

Also, speaking of Welch.. She got retconned into -all- the Star Ocean games. People in charge should not have Waifus. That's how you end up S.D Perry presents Rebecca Chambers: God Slayer and Lightning.

Another SO2-loving faggot here
I had a feeling they'd do shitty rewrites. I avoided it because I couldn't stand the new portraits (esp Rena, who just gets worse with every iteration), and assumed they'd get rid of the so-bad-it's-good VA

I wish the series wasn't just disappointing after 2. People keep trying to shill 3 to me but it's just boring as sin

In recent years "weeb" has become synonymous with "japanese" for a variety of reasons. Never forget that "weeaboo" originates from a Perry Bible Fellowship strip and also that being a "weeb" is better than being an "otaku"

Yeah but instead of being Lady Gaga, or an abomination she's some chick from Shibuya. I don't trust current Atlus to not fuck this up and make her a slightly baitey character.

Three was fine. I enjoyed playing it until the plot twist and beat it and dropped Star Ocean like the hot sack of shit it was.
Star Ocean was never surreal enough to even begin to pull that shit off.

Four was shit all-around, even the international edition which replaced the EYEBLEEDING COLORS with far more mellow tones wasn't enough to redeem it.

Five , also was pretty enjoyable gameplay wise - Storywise, they just need to let the franchise die already.

Thanks for this.

I felt like 3 successfully took the combat from 2d to 3d despite some of the broken aspects. This was refined in the later SOs. I can't speak for 5, I don't have a PS4.
The battle trophies also added a new dimension to indulge in autism, so its great if you're on the spectrum.

SO3 was absolutely boring as everything before the twist was a bland. The twist itself turned me off from franchise all together. I didn't truly lose hope until I saw Welch in SO2 on the PSP.

I gave 4 a try, but couldn't stomach beyond the first dungeon. I did enjoy the new combat. I'll try 5 if it ever comes to PC or if I buy a PS4. Not holding my breath.

That's where the made up word came from sure but you do know why this word that was literally meaningless turned into a replacement for "wapanese" don't you? Where the string of letters came from doesn't really matter.

Wait, so what you're saying is that the issue is with the culturalization and that these issues don't exist in the Japanese version?

Weeaboo is a human behavior, inanimate objects can't be Weeaboo.

Shame on you faggots for replying to retarded OP's, you are just making summer refugees feel welcomed and dragging down even further the quality of the board.

If you really want to discuss JRPG's just make a proper thread without a newfag/bait OP.

This makes me so sad, every time. I played every single Breath of Fire game as it was released in the US, and while I enjoyed them all, Dragon Quarter was something else, man. People hated on it for the same reason people hated on 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons: some people just got together and slapped a familiar name on an original product, creating a massive bait and switch. I'm convinced that if Capcom had either set it completely outside of the Breath of Fire cosmology, or done a much better job marketing it as a kind of gaiden game not in the main series, it would be universally hailed today as the masterpiece it really was. For me it was almost the perfect game, what a JRPG could be when the developers actually gave a fuck about mechanics rather then "le crazy plot about killing god and muh cinematics."

1) They trimmed every bit of fat from the roster. You get three characters, they all have a specific role, and it's up to you to utilize the tools as your disposal in the best way possible, making every fight strategic. Unlike 99% of JRPGs ever made, you're never just hitting attack until the enemies die.

2) Survival elements done right. You're not worried about running out of food or having to sleep or any monotonous busywork that some games throw at you, but unlike 99% of JRPGs ever made, your healing is super limited. No heal spells, items only, and not only can you only afford so many items, even if you bitch out and abuse the fairy stock market for crazy zenny gains, you can still literally only *carry* so many items on you at any time.

3) The way the last two points interact mean that, even if you overpower an area or are built just right to decimate the nearby enemies, you have to play strategically anyway, because every single hit they get in on you is a hit you'll eventually have to heal. Even weak enemies chipping away at you will deplete your party's resources.

4) Traps: lots of JRPGs, including previous BoFs, have had mechanics where you get a bonus at the start of combat if you hit the enemy with your weapon on the map screen before they touch you. But the various traps and bait and stuff you can use on the map screen in DQ take it to a new level, allowing you to strategize before ever even entering combat.

5) Difficulty: It's completely possible to beat the whole game on a new game playthrough, but the fact that so many people whine about the SoL system shows how hard it can be to do so, especially if you're not very familiar with the mechanics. Definition of hard but fair.

6) D-counter: Underrated mechanic, probably gets more complaints than any other aspect of the game, but it's at the core of DQ's genius. It gives you more than enough time to beat the game if you proceed at a normal pace, and its real purpose is to keep you from just grinding in place forever, which would nullify the anxiety from the survival aspects of the game. Disregarding the final boss, there are only like three encounters in the game that almost require the use of dragon form anyway (and all three only "almost" require it… you can beat them all without if you've managed to hold on to enough resources prior that your stock of healing items isn't wasted).

7) Setting, aesthetic and feel of the game: DQ does an amazing job of making you feel trapped in a dark, dying, claustrophobic world. Constantly traveling upwards from the lowermost level of a failing, half-abandoned underground arcology, all the while watching the ticker measure your estimated distance to the surface, is an incredible journey, and the world stands out among a sea of space sci fi and medieval kingdom RPG worlds. The ending was incredibly simple and understated, yet one of the most emotionally gratifying endings of any game I've ever played.

Another aspect it does is balancing your insanely powerful Dragon Form. It's such a good pacing mechanic for all the reasons you said. I wish more games would feature something like/similar to this because very few games can match the tension I felt crawling through the depths of this world wondering if the next area will be the last as my D-Counter gradually raises itself towards 90%.

Dragon Quarter is the kind of game where you can tell that the devs were really in love with a core concept and put everything into making it come through to the player. It's no surprise that some of the devs would go to work on Dead Rising because I get a similar feeling of anxiety as things tick down in that game as well.

Anime artstyle can be okay as long as the cast isn't made up entirely of 12-year-olds.

I just finished playing Expeditions: Viking a week or so ago, and it has a similar mechanic in that there's a timer that counts down as you travel the world map, since the whole story is supposed to take place in the same year. If the time limit expires and you haven't beaten the thing, you lose. Lots of people seem to complain about the mechanic, and I get why, it adds some amount of stress that you might not think you want to deal with, but it works in a way functionally identical to the D-counter: it prevents you from abusing camping mechanics to obtain infinite food/medicine/resources by putting a cap on how much time you can spend grinding easy stuff and forcing you to progress. Despite both games being completely different in many ways, they're both RPGs with moderately important survival mechanics, and both use the same method of balancing those mechanics.