Why can't RPGs have a more sensible way of becoming proficient? IRL, the more you cook...

Why can't RPGs have a more sensible way of becoming proficient? IRL, the more you cook, the more you become adept at cooking. The more you fight, the more you become good at fighting.
Why the need to give you points to allocate and not something like Morrowind, but better improved system, where you get better with practice?

WAT

Because morrowind is shit and its system easily exploitable.

It's called abstraction. All games with tactical and strategic elements have them.

WAT

Okay.

Say what you will about Skyrim, but this is one of the few things it got right, in that doing certain things more leveled up those specific talents instead of letting the player choose

That said Skyrim's leveling system was stupid and broken since you could essentially just become a jack of all trades. Theres also the problem of this

WAT

WAT

You're in a thread with Bethesda cucks, why is it any surprise they are retarded?

This is a shitty 1 and done thread isnt it?

it is assumed that your character was teaching themselves the skill in their downtime etc, and levels or ranks indicate moments where the practice has visibily paid off. Nobody wants to roleplay an accounting simulator in an ARPG

Over tes? Any day.

'Sensible way' or 'system' gone out to lunch and never come back since players tend to exploit it.

Maybe something like Grandia?

The only solution is to go to Last Remnant levels of autism

WAT

This is only way, without blocking things. In all other cases everyone would just max everything.

Real life isn't fun.

Go eat a bag of cocks.

Plenty of RPGs have that system, you're just a retard for not knowing about them. I guess you'll fit right in with the rest of Holla Forums.

Yes and you were too stupid to sage.

JRPGs are not real RPGs.

The issue here being that the Last Remnant is a huge piece of shit, because all that autistic depth is in service of nothing. The gameplay isn't enjoyable enough to justify the mechanics that it uses.

Not about balance, fagola, in tes you don't even have to try and you break the game. Which is broken anyway.

Funny, neither are TES games.

This is categorically false and the root of all evils. In the real world, the more you cook, the more practiced you become at cooking.
Cooking is not a singular skill. It isn't something you just do. Most of the elements of cooking are 100% optional and have to do with presentation, to begin with. The primary things you need to learn are how to measure out part by part various ingredients, how to effectively pour and mix said ingredients, and how to create a complex taste with the use of seasoning, and even where to distribute the seasoning, and how much seasoning it needs.
You do not become more "adept at cooking" the more you cook, you become more practiced. It's something more cerebral than that. You have to learn how to work with the food in a way that has
ABSOLUTELY
NOTHING
to do with physical dexterity or skillful hand movements.
There are two steps to being good at many skills. Let's take boxing, since swordplay is archaic:
>Your movements and body must become practiced to tip top shape
>You must be intelligent and attentive enough to intuit what you should be doing to not get hit, where your opponent's going, to learn the footwork and patterns to counter your opponents, how to deal with a shorter/taller opponents, where to punch at a given time, where your opponent is couching past injuries, when you need to clinch or duck, at what point it's better to break pattern and retreat, how to deal with a double inboxer fight even if you're an outboxer, how to deal with a double outboxer fight even if you're an inboxer, when it's better to take a jab for a chance at getting potshots, and how to process all of these things (and more) in real time.
You can only get so good by speedbagging shit. It'll help, sure, but you'll only go so far.
For cooking, it's the same way. Knife skills, garnishing and steady hands can only get so practiced.
There is zero focus in game systems that assess the actual practical knowledge of the player to determine their prowess or efficacy. All of the complexity is user guided, with little to no ingame simulation, and most of the important elements are boiled down to, as you put it, "The more you __, the more you become good at __".

All of that said, I get that you're more intent with addressing the silly "stat points go here" things some JRPGs and MMOs do. I just find it more concerning that the trend of escape from that silly "stat points go here" thing is an even more ineffective and shallow system of growth.

Every turn-based RPG ever.

Nobody said they are.

the whole genre is made to pander to faggots that cant get GUD, its the original cancer

Yup

Care to give an example?

Summer is here.

Ultima Online.

Summer is believing that jrpgs are anything more than shitty rpg knockoffs.

MMORPGs are not real RPGs.

Then knock yourself out with Wiz 8 and JA2.

Confirmed for actual underaged bait for not knowing UO.

UO was only real MMORPG.

Go outside if life is so fun, nerd.

That's basically how Dungeon Master works, and it's from like 1988.

I can't imagine a worse leveling and skill system for a game than real life.

Well, maybe we really going to be masters of sppechcraft and computer engineering if we shitpost here long enough.

WAT

This, this is how those systems should be made. For example, let's take a game centered around making potions. The true challenge of the game should be autisticaly searching for recipes in books, deciphering the works of odler alchemists and experimenting with ingredients to make different potions as well as recognizing where one can find such ingredients and how to gather them as well as in what proportion to mix them. I would play such a game

Good fucking god, even Age of Wushu at least has a little minigame for the crafts that if you get good at you make better stuff. If you don't want to add open/theorycrafting elements to your game, it'd be common decency to rip off Cooking Mama for the "practiced" bits, at least. If you want to make top-tier crafting rare or exclusive, just make it impossibly fucking hard so some retard has to dump 100s of hours to get good enough to cook their super-powered dumplings. People do it for rhythm games, after all.

Because skill points are the only way western and european developers know how to operate.

I got you fam.

The newer ones are just grindy time mangement -visual novels with absolutely shit gameplay. The combat is really generic in the newer ones.

The older ones actually had you going around collecting books, talking to old wizards and shit to figure out how to make what you needed to make. The combat was meh, but that's not what made the games memorable.

I always wanted to get into that series. Good autistic gameplay with cute animu girls seems like something that I would totally get into.

I'll try them.

I think the big thing is that RPGs are in a period of stunted development. A lot of things that only existed due to hardware limitations or a lack of comprehensive engines are now fixtures, and "hit buttons to craft shit" is one of them.
Why shouldn't running a shop feel like Recettear, hopping up potions feel like Atelier, and cooking feel like a user-driven Cooking Mama? Where's my ingame Blender-esque program that lets you make as many dong sculptures as you please with rare materials? Where's the adventure in harvesting ingredients when you don't have to learn how to cut them or handle them, where rare reagents grow, and when they're ripest/in bloom? All of the elements already exist to make a RPG that could rival complexity of a tabletop sandbox game, but nothing has been done with that fact.

Grandia did so many things right. Fucking shame how it constantly gets overlooked.