What is the best checkpoint idea you have ever seen in a game?

What is the best checkpoint idea you have ever seen in a game?

Every one that doesn't try to be too clever about it.
Just give me a save point and stop pretending it's not a video game.

Cardboard boxes the character crawls out of.

The one you access from the menu anytime.

A mimic

the best checkpoint is no checkpoint
only limited quicksaves

Save/Load whenever wherever the fuck I want with save slots limited only by my hard drive.

That's a pretty good idea actually.

I'll never get the praise for Shovel Knight's.
>FINALLY A SMART CHECKPOINT FOR SMART GAMERS

That game is one huge overrated piece of shit. If it had furries it would be Undertale 2.0.

yeah play hitman sa2 the best hitman

Boring puto.

Checkpoints are dumb. Just let me save whenever, and have the occasional auto save before difficult bosses or whatever.

Dark souls bondfires

Just admit ur a casual then

Ha just watch Lets plays, then just skip right to the end

Summer sure is hot in there.

He is right though, infinite saves are a stupid mechanic.

You sound like one of those faggots that complains about fast travel too. Bitch if you don't wanna save then don't. If you don't wanna fast travel, then don't. Why should MY options be limited because YOU'RE a little bitch? If I don't wanna walk all the way to Bruma from the Imperial City, then that's MY choice. If I don't wanna have to go back to the last checkpoint, talk to 3 NPCs, go through a cut-scene, and play a mini-game before fighting the boss again, then that's MY choice.

Xenogears had save points that doubled as a method for the villain to constantly spy on the party. Don't ask how it worked, I don't think the game's creators have any idea how anything in that game's plot functioned.

Just like letting niggers fuck your wife is your choice, right? Doesn't make it wrong, does it?

Save points with some kind of plot-relevance or ur-penalty. Like the savepoints are cloning bays but each time you die you get cloned but your DNA degrades and eventually you go mad and get a worse ending for sucking at the game. Or you can use a health crystal/save point but each time you do it puts a cap on how much further you can grow, so if you abuse it you can only get so powerful but if you risk it you can get crazy OP and risk it all if you fuck up.
Pic unrelated.

Sands of Time had the prince spaz out at save points. Farah sees this and is rightfully worried, but the prince reassures her that they're safe.

Limited savepoints are the worst idea imaginable, it really shows that you are not going to play well unless someone threatens you to. Only bad gamers obsessed with looking better would do that.

Its the difference between rewarding and instant gratification. u wanna enjoy the get the review out before release date, thank god its casual, overhype, 10/10 game of the year -igndotcom. go right ahead

Fast travel is as lazy game design as quest markers. Do it right like in Morrowind by having a proper travel network or crazy fun ways to get around, and by giving actual directions based on navigating to places by yourself.

kys tbh fam

This guy gets it.

RPG: cities, villages and other resting places
Action games: Beginning of the level/stage, no more

my nigga

When you die and are forced to load the game(almost every single game with a quicksave system) you're pretty much forced to save all the time. Otherwise you'd die and be forced to load your game from where you last started your sitting. If you're not forced to load and the game continues with some penalties or at a checkpooint when you die there's no reason to load a game except to erase mistakes or to save scum, it's better to have autosaves for when you really want to continue playing later.

Also this.
An actual designed "teleport" system with only certain locations being reachable by others is a much better system.

Something you wanna talk about, user?

xenogears has a fucking evangelion reference?

Golden Eye had a good system. The levels are short, so finishing the level = that's your check point, and you can play each level as often as you like. But what about muh RPG with a branching story, you ask. The story tree could be chopped up, so you have short pieces and don't have to replay anything until meeting a branching point, you can just continue from there going in different directions. That doesn't work for branching points that are triggered by accumulating score going over some threshold, however. But if the branching works according to a clar hierarchy (best performance leads to path towards best ending, worse performance to less good endings with not much subjectivity about which is which), the path unlocking can just work in a way that you always also unlock every path that a worse performance would have unlocked.

Reference? Nigga the whole game ripped off Evangelion and Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.

I still like it, even the second disc. Squeenix is never making interesting games ever again.

It's because most of you only understand getting cucked by niggers.

Checkpoints are a relic of consoles when they had little or no capability to save a game. Now, they are completely unnecessary.

Why would I want to fit in with inbreads who can't understand simple analogies?

Gotta earn that Holla Forums cred, eh summerfags?

To be fair, you should avoid using memes like that when it's not really necessary, people can overlook your argument and bully you for that.

This

-t. mustard cuck who savestates through every game and quits those he can't

probably can't even 1cc metal slug, a joke of a game. you niggers are an embarrassment

This. Anything else is fucking cancer. It was forgivable in the early days with limited storage capacity and hardware but not having access to save states in the current year games is a sign of failure. It does not make the game any more challenging, it just makes it a pain in the fucking ass when I need to go do something on a short notice and am forced to lose progress because the game developer could not be arsed to allow me to save anywhere. It's particularly horrible when you have limited saves like in early resident evil titles but thankfully that system was dropped like an ugly baby and now rests in the trash where it belongs.

Ghost 1.0 has a 3D printer that gets you a new body for your "soul" to grab when the other gets destroyed.

Gunslinger from what I remember had the main character go "wait that's not how the story goes" or "that's how it would have gone if I hadn't done x"

i like the bells in momodora. give em a whack and they make a satisfying ring. it fits into the whole priestess thing.

bondfires are pretty cool. although its kind of cheating isnt it since they have many different and useful functions. still, theyre always a relief. its kind of neat how a save point has become the iconic thing of the series.

Bring back the lives/continue system.
You fuck up, you use a life and begin at the start of the area.
You fuck up some more, you use a continue and go back to the start of the chapter, right after the last boss was killed or what have you.
You fuck up even more and you run out of continues, you go all the way back.
And the game makes fun of you and denies you the last part if you've used any continues or are playing on anything on easy modo.

By that logic, not giving players "free win" powers is showing that you're not going to play well unless someone threatens you to.
I'd rather much the Dev force me to beat his game then have me force me to beat my game.

This only works for certain genres opf games though.
Great for platfmormers and action games but wouldn't work in a FPS or a RPG

damn, that's a lotta cancer for one thread

most games have a pretty okay checkpoint system, like shovel man

what the fuck? do you have mental retardation?

if you have to communicate in analogies then you dont really have anything to say

You're a colossal idiot.

I liked the Bit. Trip Runner sequels checkpoints. If you jump over it, it wont count and you will get bonus points. Smart decisions for a game with leaderboards.

nonNirvana scrubs need not apply

There is a huge problem with this line of thinking. Many people if given the chance to play optimally or suboptimally and LARP will choose the optimal way every time. Systems like fast travel destroy every other way to get around. A good metaphor is like having an end game weapon in your inventory from the beginning of the game that one shots every enemy. Saying "just dont use it" is a bad idea. Why should I push through a hard encounter or use other gameplay systems to their fullest if I can just instakill every enemy? Its not just temptation that gets to people, its the idea of being inefficient.

Wario Land had an interesting system with the paid checkpoints.

Xeno and Eva have nothing in common, other than mechs and religious connotations (which were actually fleshed out in Xeno, while only symbolic and superficial in Eva). Don't get why retards always call Xenogears "Eva: The Game", it's insulting to compare it to that generic monster of the week shitshow.

I can't remember the specific games but the ones where you sleep to check. Always seemed very smooth and not lazy.

Agreed, well said.

Fuck you, I loved it in Manhunt because being able to save only in two or three "checkpoints" per level made everything much more real.

Morrowind travel method is great, but the map is the worst, plus, it's not modable because it's tied to the exe or some shit like that, it's the worst thing about playing it nowadays.

Fuck your gay shit that trivializes the entire game

Get a new hobby, faggot. Stop shitting mine up with your ADHD plebshit.