What are your favorite JRPG franchises, Holla Forums?

What are your favorite JRPG franchises, Holla Forums?

Sengoku Rance

Persona, persona, persona, persona.

Persona

It introduced me to glorious japanese culture.

Pokemon and Zelda of Course (:

This and Lunar

Does Yakuza count?

The best

東方の迷宮

Phantasy Star

I'm not sure, I've enjoyed certain games from a lot of different series, but I can't think of any franchises as a whole that I'm in love with. Growlanser maybe?

Dark Souls

Japanese Skyrim

I wouldn't have said this before, but after the last few months, Dragon Quest.

phantasy star bro! high-five! thats still my favorite rpg series.

not sure what up with that second pic, I was trying to post this

Landstalker and shining force are also in my top five.

I'm pretty fond of the Tales, Wild Arms, and Shadow Hearts series, though admittedly there's still a lot of games/series I need to give a go (finished both subseries of .hack recently; I liked them but fuck that "one game for the price of X" release format, and they most definitely are not worth paying what scalpers are asking).

Been meaning to give Phantasy Star a go in the future, but with both of the first two games now having their PS2 remakes fan-translated, I'm not sure as to where they stand in relation to the Master System and Genesis originals.

Seiken Densetsu

You are cancer.

I liked Suikoden 2, Chrono Cross, Valkyria Profile, Dark Souls 2 and Japanese Skyrim

the fuck is Japanese Skyrim?

Dragon's Dogma. It's a forced meme.

all current day memes are forced. millennials can't meme.

Ys.

Kill yourself.

Shin Megami Tensei. It seems to be the only game series that got JRPG style turn based combat right.

Go back to facebook you human waste

I'd go with the originals(though use the fan translation for Phantasy Star 1) since they let you save your game anywhere, whereas the PS2 remakes make you use save points for some reason.

None, no JRPG franchise is good. There are some good ones though.

what, is there actually something wrong with persona?

Nigga, you all don't know what fabulous even means.

Bravely Default, if only because I can control the encounter rate when need be.

Best girl doesn't hurt either

????

Grandia. Because I never played past 2.

I guess he meant there are some good JRPGs, but not franchises.

well, look at your and your ability to look at things at different ways when they dont make sense at first. sadly a lost technique.

The dubs of understanding, I see
Now that you said it, I feel dumb.

Is the difficulty of both versions the sort where saving anywhere is a real boon? Does make me wonder why they'd have culled it in the first place with the remakes. It's not as if with PS2 era RPGs you can't allow saving mid dungeon and NOT have a load start at the beginning, with whatever progress was made still intact (see Wild Arms 3 and ACF's Gimel Coin saves).

Even if it became a clusterfuck I can't help it.

Ys, but i prefer old WRPGs.

Shame Bamco has refused to do reprints (here in the west I mean; they could have seen PS2 the BEST prints in Japan), a pair of cheap HD collections, or even PSN rereleases of the games. In fact, they seem content to pretty much ignore it these days aside from characters in Project X Zone and cameo costumes in its usurper, Sword Art Online. Hell, the west didn't even get Asbel's Haseo outfit in Tales of Graces F (and unlike Sophie's Hatsune Miku one, there shouldn't have been an issue with trying to secure additional licensing, as Bamco owns both Tales and .hack).

IF ONLY I COULD GET THE FUCKING VIRUS CORES I NEED

If you have a fat PS2 with an HDD set up, why would you need to burn the game to a disc? I got Quarantine to work just fine digitally via OPL (v0.9.3, anyhow; neither it nor Outbreak would work on 0.9.1). You're right about virus cores being annoying, especially if you've got a habit of generating fields without the right size of monster needed (or are too strong to be able to protect break them before they die). Some of the required dungeons do have nodes for cores from prior games though, but there's only a few per dungeon in the ones that have them.

At least the Data Seeds in G.U. are nowhere near as annoying, barring occasionally having to go into a dungeon for the sole purpose of getting the last one to use a Sign.

Oh fuck I forgot to mention that part. I used the HDD to get freemcboot onto a memory card, I use my slim to play the games because the fat ps2 is junky as shit, like I'm surprised it works junky. Fuck I think it was my original ps2 I got for christmas as a kid. And second I'm afraid of the old IDE hard disc failing. I actually haven't played it much since I did that, except for some .hack here and there. I could use a rpg to sink my teeth into, but I don't know what to play.

So your fat won't even run games off the HDD, or is it just the disc drive/laser that might be going bad? Anyhow, from what I've heard in other threads, IDEs like what I use do tend to get worn out somewhat fast being used to run games, but last I checked it wasn't like they were real expensive these days, given how old a medium they are. Probably the most annoying thing would just be setting a new one up and getting your games back on it (well, annoying for me anyhow; my computer's a toaster so I have to take everything to a friend's house and install them via his PC). But anyways, I'd say that otherwise pricy games, or ones that just plain didn't come out here (the PS2 having native region lock which loaders bypass) would be priority games to use with your fat even in that state. Fat PS2's aren't real expensive either if you have need to replace them (I suppose the bigger problem is how well what you see works; I got mine maybe six years back and it works just fine, but it was a refurbished one, so I assume any issues it had got fixed before being resold).

Well, what have you played already, and what sort of combat type/vibe are you interested in?

There are no real differences in gameplay, aside from the addition of save points. They updated the graphics(though honestly, the remakes look worse IMO) and the dialog was fleshed out a bit, but not enough to really matter if you're playing with the fan re-translation. They mostly just make the conversations sound a bit more organic.

It will run off the HDD, I just choose to use the slim.
As for recommendations? Doesn't matter, recommend me something you liked.

Ever played the Wild Arms or Shadow Hearts series? Or, if you want something real-time, maybe Tales of the Abyss (admittedly a game that series fans are VERY divided on; I really liked it though, even if not my favorite in the series)?

Haven't played any of those actually.

Both Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts started on the PS1. With the former, most fans tend to agree that WA1, 2, and 3 are really good (with the later ones being a bit divisive; I still enjoyed them, but WA4 is definitely the weakest entry). Meanwhile, Shadow Hearts started with the PS1 Gothic Horror/RPG hybrid Koudelka, while the PS2 games are more JRPGs with a horror vibe to them. Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant are directly connected, but the whole series has a chronology, being set as historical fiction between 1898 and 1929 over the four games in the series (From the New World being a confirmed side-game, and thus has a different vibe to it).

Tales of the Abyss is pretty solid and will keep you busy for quite a while (there's numerous sidequests as well, but a number of those do have inane cutoffs), but the protagonist, Luke, has a tendency to easily rub people the wrong way, and a lot of people drop the game before he (or he rest of the cast for that matter) start to get better. Might also mention that, if you can't stand English dubs, Abyss does have a full undub patch for the PS2 original. Unfortunately, aside from Abyss, the only other PS2 Tales in English as of now is Legendia, which is honestly kind of a backwards game made by a guest dev team (from Tekken/Soul Calibur).

this one.

This shit makes me glad I bought my collection as the series was coming out.

What's that extra .hack//Sign thing you've got to the right there? Also, is Quantum worth bothering with?

Did you import a NA PS2 just to play G.U., or did you swap magic or mod your system to get around the region lock? Just curious as those never came to PAL officially for whatever reason.

The extra Sign and Twilight are chinese bootlegs from before the official DVDs were available down here.

As for G.U. iv had a chipped PS2 for many years. I also have a HDD modded PS2, Swap Magic PS2 and FreeMCBoot PS2 because im crazy.

Forgot to mention Quantum as I don't really have anything to say on it. I watched it years ago when it first came out and remember next to nothing about it sorry. Its only 3 eps tho so not much time commitment to check it out.

I also have a HDD modded PS2, Swap Magic PS2 and FreeMCBoot PS2 because im crazy.
Well, if you live in PAL, I can't blame you. Far too many good games out there that saw a NA english release, but have never seen a PAL one, or came out over a decade after the original release (like Chrono Trigger).

Speaking of which, did Namco ever give a reason for G.U. not coming over there? I mean, they brought the entire IMOQ subseries there, so I would have thought they'd have done so for G.U. as well, only to find out they didn't bother with it.

Whoops, meant to greentext that first line.

Any chance you know if there's some place with full scans for any of the .hack artbooks? Just curious, since you seem like you've been a fan of the series for a while.

I've never played and will never play a Persona after 2. Fuck the 'social links high school sim' bullshit. High school is gay and so is 'socializing'. Why would I want to 'simulate' that shit?

That's a lot of quotation marks.

top tier taste

Dragon Quest, SMT, Xeno

That's probably the comfiest picture I have ever seen, thanks for sharing user.

Because a distressing number of people here are normalfags to their very core.

Normalfag detected

except were outside in the rain

Grandia because of the fight system and, well, everything. If Ys counts, then it's awesome kind of great too, but I don't even know if it can be truly called a jRPG.

Bravely Default is the best "basic" turn based ones (still less fun than games I've mentioned above), though, if only because of the ability to control encounter rate. Even despite shitting the fucking bed in the second half of the first one, the game as a whole is good.

No, Anne is the best girl.

Seiken Dentsu

Phantasy Star, Generations is one of my favorite games of all time and am always sad the rpg has fallen to the side for the online one.

Dubs don't lie