CYOA videogames as a custom vidya experience concept?

I have been on /cyoa/ alot playing their image games when I thought "wait just a moment, are there any video games that actually take entire lists of choices and settings into account for some sort of highly overcomplicated charater creation + preferences for how the game will function for the entire gameplay experience until you start a new save game?"

fun example is a zombie survival cyoa game
game asks

might be fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

cyoa.com/
projectaon.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabled_Lands
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can I fuck babies?

no, because it's not a pedo game.

I'm going to do it, and you are going to let me.

I'm not going to not not let you, or let let you. I don't even know if any of these games exist or not. If you are going to personally make a pedo game, then get the fuck out and don't include Holla Forums in it.

You're going to the gas chamber, Edgar.

lets have some legit discussion on this. anyone play that stardust cyoa? imagine playing some space game similar to mass effect 1 but starting in completely different ways, with a different crew, a different ship each play through?

God, I want fucking newfags to leave

oh you want to build a CYOA with stats and shit? sure, user, there are several tools set up to do that
most popular for Fallen London, which I think is in the Sunless Sea setting. They have an 'around the world in 80 days' game that's commercial that has a ton of stats tracking, some visible some not
if you know what the "Choice of X" game series is, that's the engine they use
extension of the free Undum engine. looks like it has stats, don't see many examples online using that extensively, just indie shit
as featured in the Holla Forums favorite depression quest. seriously, though, i wouldn't use twine, but it's a servicable html cyoa system and you can include javascript for stats tracking. just wear a condom as the poz is thick around anything to do with twine
or you could roll your own with ren'py, which is a python visual novel program. that's what I'd use to make a vn, would work fine for a cyoa like you're thinking of.

i will note that of the above, ren'py is the only one where the sample story included is user asking some chick if she'll make art for his hentai vn. so you know you're in good company with those folks

I'll be honest. I never heard of any of these things before.
when you suggest these things, are they tools used on games you already have? I'm missing where this all fits in.

really, please explain this to me. I have no idea how this works.

The closest I can even think of what you're describing would be an RPG like FNV. The game had multiple endings, a l
bunch of different companions, and many different ways to play through the game.

What you're explicitly describing will probably never happen because "different story every time" would take effort and inspiration and a decent amount of money and dev-time which jewish publishers would rather spend on cinematic experiences. Just look at The Walking Dead games. Supposedly your choices matter, but in reality they don't at all. It's just a movie where you can make tiny deviations here and there from the predefined railroad. Look at Mass Effect. Look at BioShock Infinite. Look at pretty much any game in existence that has marketed itself on "your choices matter". 99% of the time they don't.

Liberal Crime Squad has this feature.

ugh just like everything after mass effect 1.

You want tabletop RPGs, or Pen & Paper Roleplaying games OP. That's what you're describing.

No, I don't really think so. what I'm saying is what if: "left4dead1 but with many more presets and options and customizations before the game even starts" as an example.

maybe I get to choose where I need to get to, instead of the hospital constantly? or rather a more open world (but not shit) (yea, I know…) left4dead.

just an example, doesn't need to be zombies.

in what sense?

It's hard to explain, but it presents you a series of questions which determine your stats, skills, party, house, and loadout. The game is an open-ended satirical rougelike where you play as "ends justify the means" SJWs.

Yea, it's called every fucking videogame that has ever existed. Even if the storyline is set in stone, combat is basically a CYOA scene since it never plays out the same way.

t. NeoFAG

You're a fucking retard.

sounds horrible.

you came all the way here to post that, you lazy piece of defeatist shit?

I fail to see what in my statement pissed you fags off so much. Maybe if you elaborate instead of mindless ad hominem it would help.

can't you make a significant change in the in-game world by dying?
oh wait you cant

I guess if "shit in your mouth and then cut your penis off" isn't an option in a CYOA book, its not a proper CYOA book then?

i didnt mean you werent able to kill yourself user

user, you might be retarded, but a giant vague generalization of a ton of videogames that are essentially the same from starting point A to ending point B, doesn't count as cyoa games. you have no idea what cyoa games are, or you are fucking with us for your own enjoyment.

what's a cyoa book anyway?

and how would you shit inside your own mouth? you would have to bend your ass in some really bad ways to get to where your own ass was infront of your own mouth, and by then you would be severely injured or worse. sounds like a horrible idea.

choose your own adventure
if you choose this option, flip to this page
if you choose that option, go to the next page
if you choose the other option, flip to this other page
etc

you know what screw it, you'd probably call a version of a DVD of man of steel where you can choose at a certain point in the movie when noone else is around supes to make him spontaneously blink with absolutely no other changes in the movie, or even any sort of reaction to it, a CYOA game
you're probably very intellectually dishonest, or just paid to post here

cyoa.com/
That's where the term came from in the first place. If you're American, your local library probably has a few of these rotting away on a shelf somewhere. Or find some torrents.

Yes, I get paid to shitpost random threads on the videogame board. Are you high?

…why not?

if you're an 'idea guy' who wants to make a CYOA game, you could go get one of those and start making a story.
Some are tools you download and install, some are websites you make an account on. Either way, you make nodes (like posts in a CYOA thread) and you link them together.
If you didn't know where to start but wanted to try to build something, you could probably take an existing /cyoa/ thread, break it up into pieces, and make a CYOA game out of it. Fuck if I know, just linking some tools since I was doing interactive fiction tools research while working on a text adventure idea I had. I go for more Zork-type shit, but if you wanted to build a VN or CYOA and had no idea where to start, you could check those out and just like make game.

yeah, actually reading a CYOA book would be the place to start.
I enjoyed the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks back in the day, a CYOA book where you stop at certain points to fight a monster by rolling cide. you have to track your HP yourself, and if you die start over from the beginning. Some of them have been converted into mobile apps so you don't have to keep track of what page # you're on or roll the dice yourself.

You were born after 1996, weren't you? Those used to be in every library 20-25 years back, most probably still have them.

My favorite series were based on old horror books. There was a Dracula and a Frankenstein one I remember. In either case you chose at the beginning whether you were the monster or the human. Depending on which you chose you had different starting stats and abilities. Each had its own story, starting point and goal. The end boss was the other choice and was a pain in the ass to beat because it had full stats while you generally was low on health by that point.

you have no idea what a cyoa game is.

I actually forgot about those because they were so unbelievably boring. I'm using to playing cyoa games from
>>>/cyoa/

I can't stand the stupid page flipping bullshit, I just never enjoyed it for some reason. thanks for making me remember. yuck.

bump.

Play my CYOA if you're such a god.

Those are the things OP meant by CYOAs? I always called those cancer made by reddit back when I saw them on cuck/b/ years ago.

That's a bit of an overreaction to a small time-waster, don't you think?

there are some really nice ones on /cyoa/ though avoid the nsfw ones.

hey user, thanks but I'm sorry I just can't get into pokemon. I've been exposed to it for years and years but I never felt close to it. I wouldn't want to play it unless I had a passion to do it the best that I can. I love the stardust cyoa though.

Not him but I will.

Aside from Route 1 and Legendary pokemon, all other options are extremely fucking vague.
Why is the something that needs to be purchased? It should be default equipment.
Same issue with above. Why is this not default? It's literally required or you'd die of starvation without it to carry food at all. This should be default part of your get up (maybe with less itemsbut the general basics of food, some potions/pokeballs, and a sleeping bag/tent) and the option for backpack should be replaced by some sort of better backpack that has more shit that would make life a lot easier, another one with more items and stuff in it, or whatever something else and you should be only able to upgrade to one of the better backpacks.
I like this one, and that there's an opposite for it too. It would be better if the Low and High groups were choices and they had unique bonuses and minuses though.
Wait you couldn't train pokemon if they didn't understand English. The commands they're given in battle are too complex sometimes (ie the commands other than the move titles, of course) in the anime. Them understanding you should be default, and not part of the Perk.
Aight I guess. More origin options would be great.
Why would towns not have this to begin with? Isn't that was a Pokemon Center is? You can get food there as well if I'm remembering my episodes correctly. If not, they'd have a PokeMart at least. If it's going to be an option then it needs to have something other than food and shelter as its benefits because most trainers have shelter in their backpacks and can just buy food.
Why is the Rival always going to be better than you? He never is in the games, and in the Anime he's only smug and arrogant and they don't actually fight any of the time he's just annoying.
Everything has a Traditional European feel. This is an okay option but it would be better if it was replaced by a series of options to select the type of aesthetic you'd like for the world.

Could be better. It has perks that deal with your future but the lack of any timeline feature makes it kind of pointless. It would be nice if there was a page of futures that were limited by the choices I made.

5/10.

Oh and you should try to keep it consistent with pokemon's tone. Whether it's the manga, the anime, or the games the idea that someone might kill you for not follow their orders is stupid and reeks of edgelordyness. And ditch the 'pokephilia' perk. It's not only not a perk it's just trash in general, even as a joke.

pen and paper is the closest you'll get

that one looks nice, might go to /cyoa/ to run it
also
specs weedle is god tier competitive pokemon

fun…?

Have you played King of Dragon Pass OP? It's pretty much CYOA the game. There's a spiritual sequel in the works too.

don't fuck with the ducks

no, what's it all about? never ever heard of it

what are some games with cute aliens?

I know what you mean. *sigh*

There's a shitload of those type of gamebooks. I played a lot of the Fighting Fantasy series, and a couple others. You can get the entire Lone Wolf series and software for it here:
projectaon.org/
Fabled Lands also got a software front-end, see "external links" here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabled_Lands

no like, I mean like the ones from
>>>/cyoa/
not neccessarily like those books with the page switching.

It'll never happen.

worst meme to have come out of the last console generation

I agree with you so much.
this whole "most players" meme basically means that the delusional publishers and devs completely make up what they think their customers are like, and end up giving everyone what the THINK fake people they created- want.

also playtesters come into this, because they think that the idiot playtesters who are usually stupid fucks who don't even play video games for fun must represent everyone else.