When a linux engine made by a dozen of amateur programmers in two years already looks better than unity and unreal

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's irrelevant until someone actually starts using it. And usually around them people figure out whether the engine is worth it or actually horrendous.

What's so special about UE, it wasn't this popular before 4 was it? What engines are there to use besides Unity, UE, and Source.

That car looks comfy as fuck and it can be changed at any time.

quick rotate back up! nobody will notice

It has the most advanced features. Best graphical capabilities and best physics functions.

It's supposedly harder to get into than Unity though, which I guess is why most people use Unity.

There's Cryengine, but I've heard it's shit for anything that isn't a first person shooter.

For 3D there aren't really anything else. For 2D you have all kinds of small engines.

Oh and also Unreal wasn't free before 4, that's why it wasn't as popular.

Unreal Engine 3 was the most used engine before Unity and Unreal Engine 4.

Comparing Source to both of them is the most retarded thing you can do. Both UE and Unity are 'general-purpose' engines while Source is not. Valve (and everyone else who ever used it) modify the engine to fit their needs.

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I mean, there might be some truth to that but I'm yet to play a single UE game where the human bodies won't fly in the air like a fucking plastic bag. It's funny but despite being outdated and unable to do anything but first-person shooters without modifying the source code, Source engine still has the best physics. CryEngine might have better but there wasn't a single game since the first Crysis that actually featured any physics besides people dying while performing a death animation.

Yeah, it's too coplicated for the typical UE and Unity user. The only experience I had with it is making levels for Crysis 1 and the editor was such a fucking bitch. But as far as I know the engine should be able to do third-person games as well. Hey, at least the source code is freely available. I mean, you can look at it but the license does not allow you to touch it. Still better than UE and Unity in that regard though.

Have you been living under a rock for the entire 360/ps3 era?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3

Not as popular =/= not popular period.

I sure do love when some hue niggers shit out a game engine and then don't bother with writing proper documention.

It was literally the most used engine you fucking tard
How the fuck is the most popular engine for games not popular enough for you?

designing an all purpose engine is extremely hard to do,
Godot is pretty well done, but I would hardly say its made by a dozen amateur programmers, I've been following it for like two years now

but any awesome games came out lately?

I think you need to take an english class.

So are you pretending to be retarded or just flustered over being called out for being wrong?

It'll never get proper support. One of the main reasons any engine is picked up is how much documentation and how helpful the team behind it is.
Unity is popular not because of its qualities but because of how it has a comprehensive collection of easy to follow tutorials and support.

Notice what?

Wow champ you sure showed him.

the camera just clipped through the geometry it's literally nothing

(((1))) first reply strikes again.

Oh boy, another open source game engine. We sure needed another one of those instead of competent content authoring tools.

I would trade my car for that

No, you literally cannot read that english sentence correctly.

"Not as popular" means it was less popular, not that it wasn't popular at all. Unreal was significantly less popular than it is now, it's more popular than it's ever been.

If you still don't get it then consider retaking kindergarten.

Unreal and Unity both use free implementations of PhysX. Unity's is a buggy mess to this day; you cannot make a working car out of the box with their wheel colliders, for example. Unreal's is better on account of them giving a shit, and so is less painful, but a developer can run into the physics engine's limitations if they're overly ambitious anyway.

Havok physics are where it's at, and that is why that costs fucktons to license and they have zero interest in getting adoption from the indie market.

But unreal engine 4 and unity look like shit

go back to windows you shill cunt

I feel this is a good a thread as any to ask this.
What should I do in order to make a decent game in Unity, from the technical prespective? Playing so many unity games I've noticed a lot of problems, mainly optimization and whatnot and I want to know how the better games made in Unity avoid that pitfall.

Unity user here.

What do you mean by technical perspective?
graphics?
physics?
input?

Performance, and sometimes the graphics.
I can't really explain it but some unity games look really ugly and have a lot of bloom put in everywhere.
The oddworld remake for example.

I did this test some weeks ago (which killed my toaster fps btw) and it looks good enough I think.

About graphics is mostly shader, PBR and post processing work that makes a game looks like AAA shit.

It's usually done by professionals, and most amateurs don't know about such workflow, and indies use default shaders and default materials.

Have you seen the unity graphics demoes?

this comes to not using the profiler or making stupid coding decisions.

In the end is about skill, not the engine.

Is not even beta, you need to compile that version yourself from the github code.

Yeah, I hope Valve will finish their Rubikon physics engine and it will be open-source (and most importantly not shit like all software made by Valve).

????

are you going to use the wrong fucking words?

By 'physics functions' I meant stuff like this

Until it is as compatible with games as Windows it can fuck off.

It's compatible with windows, macosx and linux. But there's retards who think it's a "linux engine" like OP

I meant the OS

ITT: retards who don't know anything about tech and development arguing about tech and development