Soup Holla Forums, so I'm trying to decide between playing one of the elder scrolls games. From what i've gathered...

soup Holla Forums, so I'm trying to decide between playing one of the elder scrolls games. From what i've gathered, its a toss up between morrowind and oblivion as to what i should play, but I can't seem to decide.

For the record, I think i can get over the janky combat in morrowind, as the overworld and other stuff looks pretty interesting, and it looks like there is more flexibility in making my character. But the gameplay in oblivion (and skyrim) look more enjoyable. What is your opinion? Would it be best to just play through morrowind and then oblivion in order? is there any detriment to skipping one of them?

Pic not related.

soup to you

It sounds like you already know the answer

i guess im trying to decide which game would be more worth my time. i like exploring and lore and really investing into a character that has all the "right" stats, weapons, etc but i want the gameplay to be satisfying enough to justify the investment.

have you played either? i just want some honest opinions on which game is superior in that regard

This is why we can't have nice things.

bump

I would start with Morrowind. If it feels too clunky or you don't have the patience for it move on to Oblivion. If you end up liking the series you'll probably want to play all three (and maybe Daggerfall as well) anyway.

Skyrim maybe but certainly not Oblivion.
Oblivion is a game that gets more excruciating to play the more you play it.
If you're really interested in playing through this (trash) series then play Morrowind, speed through Oblivion and then play Skyrim.

Skyrim has a lot of neat references to both Morrowind and Oblivion so if you plan on playing it, skipping either of the two(especially morrowind) would hurt the experience.

why does the game get worse to play the longer you play it? wouldn't you get more options when you level up and shit? some of the purported "high level gameplay" on youtube doesn't seem terribly complicated but they have a lot of spells and the character seems to have a lot of options

Oblivion has cancerous amounts of level scaling. Every TES game since Arena has had some form of level scaling but Oblivion takes it to 11. Everything, from quest rewards to enemy damage is level scaled.
In the base game world there is no cap on how high some enemy's health can scale. What doesn't scale however is equipment damage.
This can lead to situations where you are wearing the best gear you can with the best weapon in the game with the highest skill level but a random zombie takes 2 minutes of non stop attacking to kill. This means levelling up is actually detrimental to your character as you can kill everything at level 1 with sneak attack criticals but the same isn't true for level 20 onwards.
I could go on about the flaws of the game but if you are still interested in playing it, I could give you tips to either minimize them or work around them.

Play Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim suck for the same reason: Quest markers removing all sense of discovery. There is a lot besides that wrong with Oblivion, but because of that I feel it's a bad intro.

My only bit of advice is to not run everywhere and conserve your stamina when you think you're in a dangerous location or find and use the Boots of Blinding speed.

If you're playing it for exploring and lore it's not going to be a problem there's even a difficulty slider you can change at any time. Besides, Oblivion has a shitload of mods including ones that alter or even replace the leveling and monster scaling systems if you wish. The game has some great quests and environments, It's not worth skipping just because of leveling.

I'm assuming something to do with mods? If I were to mod out the games to start, would morrowind still be superior?

Assuming both games are modded to what you would consider "max" potential

Nah I am talking closest to original with unofficial patches.
Morrowind is way superior to Oblivion. Both are poorly designed but in case of Morrowind it works in its favor.

so with mods, is oblivion superior?

Don't you fucking lie. Oblivion will never be praised as a good game.

Depends on what you want to get out of it
As a sex game it is objectively superior. Nehrim is a good total conversion,OOO can change the levelled lists and Deadly Combat can make combat somewhat tolerable if a janky mess but nothing can fix the trash dungeons, the bad plot, the shitty overworld, the nonsensical writing and the shitty scale of the entire world.

Don't forget about the horrible quest markers. No mod can ever restore Morrowind's sense of exploration to Oblivion.

well that sounds like a lot to have to put up with just for a slight improvement in gameplay. i think i'll go with morrowind then, get some texture mods and maybe do something with the fps. I can deal with janky combat if the other facets of the game make up for it, no question about it.

thanks for the advice everyone.

heres a free tip for you
don't put spear as a major or minor skill, instead use it to level up endurance to maximum as soon as you can by levelling it up 10 times every time you level up.
Also spells and enchantments can't miss once successfully casted. Keep that in mind.

Stop being a gay casual baby and play Daggerfall.

Go for Morrowind first, you'll be less disappointed by the time you play Oblivion and then Skyrim because of how casualized TES becomes with each sequel, the fixed controls don't really compensate but at least they keep the gameplay simple(r) and the UI quick. If you start with Oblivion, the feeling of disappointment will be greater because the combat will become a massive annoyance and you'll get this dreaded longing feeling of an almost above decent game slowed by its combat. I'm not sure if there are mods fixing this yet, I've heard OpenMW and Skywind were supposed to fix this but I got impatient tbh. I hope they're still working if they aren't done

>look more enjoyable
Looks can be deceiving.

We just had a TES thread, it was well established that Oblivion was by and large the worst game in the series. Don't play any of them of course, but especially don't play Oblivion.

I'm tired of this retarded notion that Morrowind is anything but an even more casual game where combat is piss easy, final boss is piss easy, stealth is broken, other skills are broken too, skill-up system is batshit insane levels of retarded and has to be modded differently if you have any living brain cell left. Also fuck spoony.

As far as combat goes, the different games have different flaws.

Morrowind tried to combine action combat with classical, table-top-style combat. The problem there is that the player is directly controlling the attack and has to aim and hit the enemy in order to do damage, but an attack that appears to make contact can still roll a miss and do no damage. A lot of people find this extremely frustrating, since the computer is essentially overriding your actions and making your character perform worse than it appears they should. You tell your character to hit something, he hits it, and you see him hit it, and the computer says "nuh-uh, that didn't actually touch" like that one kid you hated playing tag with.

Skyrim's combat is just plain boring. You walk around hitting things repeatedly until they die. Relatively inoffensive, but fairly mindnumbing.
Oblivion's is fairly similar to Skyrim's, with some minor differences like no dual wielding. I consider it the worst in the series overall and haven't touched it in a while, so I can't really remember specifics.

Alright, Holla Forums. Say you're in charge of redoing the entire Elder Scrolls series, but with a twist: each game needs to have some special mechanic or emphasis on a part of the gameplay that reflects the culture and political situation of the land it's set in. How would you make each game unique and fun?

This is a question that requires extensive knowledge of game design, nigga you're not gonna find John Romero here

I'm not asking for it to be done well, I want to see anons' shitty ideas.

For morrowind you could add a faction system like in New Vegas but with more exclusive and unique quests.
For Oblivion you could add minor strategy segments where you create squads to fight daedric armies.
Skyrim already has shouts and dragons
With daggerfall actually finish the fantasy simulation aspect of it making it play like a watered down 4x game in the background with the player being able to affect outcomes by doing specific quests like political assassination, sabotage etc.

To me the biggest factor was the aesthetics.
Morrowind is based on a big dark elf island filled with weird insects (think of medieval Australia). As a result, all their armor are based on insect chitin and crap like that. You'll eventually look like an oversized insect. Also, all cities look like other-world extraterrestial stuff. I know it makes sense, it's ok, it's just that I don't want to live in that world.

Oblivion, on the other side, brings the same old reused european architecture. Knights with shining armor, etc. Well, it's the capitol of the empire, makes sense.

I've tried 3 times to play Morrowind and never made it beyond Balmora (2 hours playtime I guess). As for Oblivion, I've already beaten it thrice. All mods are good, my favorite one is "Crowded Cities" because otherwise the cities will have only 10 people walking on their streets, I guess because of hardware issues with the console versions.

Elder Scrolls 1: There is no reason for this game to be open-world. Instead, treat the game more like a regular DnD sesh, wherein you look for clues, show up to different locales and look for staff pieces. Also, if you're gonna do the whole action RPG aim and do the motions, do away with the dice rolls.

Elder Scrolls 2: The game does not have to cover all that useless land in high rock, hammerfell (wow, its desert), Orsinium (wow its mountains). Instead, center the game around daggerfall and the surrounding countryside. Have this game focus on talking to peeps (kinda like planescape torment), leave combat stuff on the backburner. Do not do RNG with action RPG motions, it was and forever will be a terrible idea.

Morrowind: Red Mountain just fucking coughed up a bunch of smoke, dagoth ur's fucking pissed. The populace is very scared, the tribunal is seizing its grip on power forcefully. The empire is not very well liked, think pre-civil war. The emperor, desperate to resolve the situation, calls upon an old prophecy and sends you in. This game should have lots of combat, lots of disease, lots of ash and deadness. It should do more of what it did best, bring an alien atmosphere of hopelessness and tension mixed with religious stuff and useful lore. Do not do RNG with action RPG motions, it was and forever will be a terrible idea. Also, after the game despite dagoth ur's death Red Mountain Numidium wakes up and causes fuck tons of destruction all throughout tamriel, but thanks to the PCs actions it doesn't completely destroy everything.

Oblivion: Scrap it, fire everyone who thought it was a good idea.

Skyrim: Everyones fucking pissed at the Emperor for failing to stop Akulakhan (or whatever), when he dies everyone seizes the opportunity and declares independence from the empire. By the time of this game 4E20 the empire is barely holding on to life, this game should be fall of the roman empire mixed with post apocalyptic. The stormcloaks are sieging Solitude when the dragons show up. The time eater Alduin felt the destruction of Akulakhan and thinks its time for a new kalpa. This is what oblivion should have been. Rewrite the thalmor to be more like the protocols of zion. Also have the game take place only in solitude and the surrounding countryside.

posts like that should be a bannable offense

enjoy your middle armor skill

enjoy your spears
enjoy your throwing weapons
enjoy your abscense of lore rape

OH WAIT

kek

i think youll be able to get used to morrowind. try going in without expectations, treat every game as their own game. youll enjoy more things like this.