Thoughts on CRT Televisions & Monitors for Video Gaming?

Thoughts on CRT Televisions & Monitors for Video Gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi
youtu.be/BtjqF70F5wI?t=405
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern
media.8ch.net/file_store/06226a9d70a6d5d424c27484c3aded4da35bd9ea668a58517f44fd372cb61efc.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/c10943a79f9c0d47bfe7ee9b4d10439a0e9d1e805b6a28b430b93bdf7d8e1ef3.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/11e64089da9d45c6d93b8a8c6fb6a9f7402babb31c7228b968731883203fa434.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/d5a1e8ef77fd28ef9d5a5a27d0394839fe346e92af497f0426a51a3b1d9aa357.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRT,_LCD,_plasma,_and_OLED
docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub
archive.org/details/Cosmic_Fantasy_Stories_1992_Riot_JP
consolegoods.co.uk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Only youngfaggots that were too young to enjoy this during it's height do this. They are the same type of faggot that insists they watch their movie on VHS rather than DVD or blue ray because they were too young to remember this technology but want to be "nerdy".

It's the best way to play older pre-HD/LCD console games and 2D computer games. Do you know just how pretty Sonic CD is when played on a CRT?.

The colors are more close to the pc colors. Even Anime studios use CRT Televisions to check how good the colors are.

all standard definition content looks far better on crt. to this day CRT are still used in professional image/video editing environments for their superior color reproduction.

I personally use a really high end broadcast monitor for my 240p-480p games and it looks gorgeous.

You have no fucking idea of what you are talking about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Is that who's buying these tube monitors for $3000 to $5000 dollars?

the dithered transparencies were mostly from the lower quality signals and were obviously made on RGB monitors at the time. There's quite a lot of genesis games that used RF/composite as a means to blend colors and got some good results - like the lion king. CRTs are capable of superb color reproduction and there are few native traits which can be exploited but bloom and gaussian blur are minor considerations for consumer composite/rf signals that were most common at the time.

pic is from my sony bvm d14h5u

Older games were designed with CRTs in mind and look better on them, otherwise you get visual artifacts and the dithering doesn't even work correctly on many games. That quote is implying that CRTs are somehow worse when they are in fact better for these games.

what's the resolution on those fuckers?

720P/1080i according to the listings

cool opinion

they aren't buying them from ebay, the only people I know who buy these things on ebay are gamers and museums. museums get outbid all the time by gamers and it's kinda hilarious.

anime studios buy directly from ikegami and sony since they have plenty of new/old stock in Japan. You can buy an htm-2050ra1 from ikegami right now if you want lol

240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.

newer displays also just weren't designed for anything but one resolution, flat panels were a mistake

Is that all youve got?

In the Audio department the vinyl records store more frecuencies than the CDs

I'd get a CRT if it was more efficient. I'm still too poor to afford a flatscreen lol.
I wish there was an OLED/CRT fusion, that would be the ULTIMATE TV.

CRTs are Aesthetic, that's all that matters. I wouldn't pay $3000 obviously, but a nice monitor like in my picture could really bring a room together. There's nothing wrong with owning a CRT, or even two if you have the room since they're so cheap.

well you sorta got it. The main thing that makes CRT work for these old games is the resolution they run at and the intended effects of being displayed. They mostly run in 240p which is really just a clever trick you can do with 480i by sending the non-interlacing lines of 480i to the screen so you get a progressive image. Games look pretty weird at 480i, especially 2d games.

there's a new sony bvm trimaster monitor that does interlacing natively but it's like 60,000 dollars. You can get a nice desktop 14" pro monitor and you can certainly fit that neatly.

Not necesarily, most movies will look better in DVD or Blu-ray than in VHS.
Some movies are not supposed to be watched too closely in high definition, though… you'll see a lot of stuff that was supposed to pass smoothly in the cinema or VHS…

As for CRT gaming, all 8-bit & 16-bit games were made with CRT in mind, exploiting all it's little things. Obviously, with today's technology they should look better. However, for some stupid reason all the filters and stuff emulators provide today can't reproduce exactly they WAY THEY WERE SUPOSED TO LOOK like.

We're talking about CRT so blurry that in most cases you barely noticed the 16-bit aliasing.

Records are objectively worse than say, CDs. The reason so many audiophiles prefer them is due to music being mastered differently. Modern studios are usually shit at mastering older music, & they're all around less respectful when they do it. T-Record Owner

I'm slightly worried that some people are actually retarded enough to buy into the crt meme.

I bought a music player for about $600 dollars. So yes.
I'm currently saving for Rhapsodio solars.
Also, there are furries who build/buy fursuits that range around ~5000 on average.
Some hobbies are expensive!

crt is also far more comfy than cold, dead flat panels

filters miss a lot of things like glowing on the frame and I'm surprised I've never seen anyone point it out. They're cute but really the entire principle behind CRT would be really hard to emulate on LCD.

everyone knows metal tapes are the best method

Enjoy your eye cancer, fags.

Uh oh! Looks like someone has a different opinion. You know what that means guys, it's a meme! As we all know, meme means "anything I don't like".

Well that's just like, your opinion man

meh, it's sub banana-tier radiation

besides, can you use your LCDs from even 15 years ago to play modern games? I can use my Sony HDVS from 1989 to play my PS4 in 1080i :^)

That cassette player is sexy as fuck. Anything special about it?

not being glorious punchcard master race

I don't fucking care. At all. I play all my shit on an LED monitor. I have less than 2ms of latency. So I don't give a fuck about all this bullshit about "herp a derp, non-CRT have latency!" As to color concerns, my monitor is just as good at coloration as an LCD, I can get my blacks as black as I want them, I can get my whites as white as I want them.

This constant bombardment of a shit meme, "ONLY CRT IS GOOD" reminds me of how much I hated CRTs as a kid. They weigh a fucking ton, they have shorter lifespans than an LCD/LED monitor, and no longer being the standard output method of the industry makes them ridiculously expensive.

Congratulations for feeding the kind of people who want to take advantage of you.

There is a delay in controls on old consoles when you play in modern TVs.
Dunno why is that

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.

Which one was better, Chrome or Metal? I remember my dad's tape system has a switch for it.
I had a Charlie Parker chrome tape, definitely sounded better than regular tapes.
But digital recording should top the original quality…

My point (that should apply to tapes too) is that current technology should be able to emulate the way old games looked like. Problem is, we would need to (quoting this guy ) "master" them from zero.

the same way you're able to play those games on that monitor, with an adapter. Besides, the HDVS line was overpriced crap even when it was brand new.

Yeah, fuck refrigerators. I personally move my fridge from one side of my house to the other daily, & quite frankly, it's getting ridiculous.

Well this is flat out wrong. I've seen CRTs used as security monitors 24/7 for 30 years that still work today. There's no way in hell that an LCD would last that long.

That's not even yours user!

Everyone knows it's a bait thread. Just ignore the thread and they'll just keep to pretending to play games at 480i and less.

If it's made to be played on a CRT, it should be played on a CRT.

I still have to upgrade, though. My (20") old TV only has composite. Sometimes I have difficulty reading smaller text on it, including some menus, because it's too blurry, but that happened on my small LCD as well. It was worse, in fact.

Maybe I will mod the TV itself so that I don't have to get another one, or a monitor, but I don't have the time and the equipment to do it at the moment, so it will have to wait. Or I can get something really damn good that doesn't work and fix it.

yes actually, it's a pro sony deck that started production in the 70s iirc. That model is from the late 80s tho I think. It's mostly used in live recording on the field.
youtu.be/BtjqF70F5wI?t=405

I'm talking about metal tapes, a type of cassette and it is higher quality than CD (44.1khz v 48khz)

number of things, but when it comes to displays it's the very tech LCD is based on that creates that lag. it needs to create a single frame before sending any data to the screen, uses things like frame buffers, etc.

no it's not, but I'm just having fun because I'm really big into CRT

I think chrome, but I don't recall to be honest.

you trying to kill yourself?

You know even while unplugged that touching the wrong thing on a CRT will instantly zap you to death right? They're essentially giant Lightbulb batteries.

Don't lie user! Lying is for the devil.
I bet Wii/GameCube games look fucking amazing in it.

It's kind of weird, if I look at the thumbnail it looks like there's a bunch of upside down semi-circle patterns in the sky textures, but if I look at it at full-size, said "patterns" disappear entirely.

I forgot the word, but it's certainty pixel density.

depends how much time and money you want to put into repairing the lcd/led

it does do 480p, so it's probably gorgeous. Personally those HDVS systems are really cool but multiformats are far better for that kinda stuff.

this is 480p on my bvm-d14h5u

it's just the flyback transformer you have to watch out for. Screwing with the neckboard and mounting appropriate resistors, a SCART plug, really isn't an issue.

because of the blank lines on the CRT, and Holla Forums doesn't apply a bilinear filter to thumbnails.

not to mention LCD backlights fading over time, it's pretty shit. CRT will last a lot longer.

I used to play my games on a rear projection TV for almost a decade. The overscan was so bad that most games had the UI mostly cut off persona 5 was the worst i'd seen, the picture was blurry unless you sat far away, the damn thing was massive, and I had to replace the lamp every couple of years. I decided to get a new tv because the color wheel crapped out again and I didn't feel like replacing it again. The last time I did it was a nightmare.

I like RPTVs just from a technical perspective but the picture quality on flatscreens today is so much better. When I got that TV any screen that was more than 24 inches was stupidly expensive except for DLPs. I wish they'd make RPTVs again with those fancy new projectors.

rear projections are a mess, and if it's not a CRT rear projection, the quality is really bad. I never liked them and the soft image was always pretty nasty to me.

Yes.

I understand how capacitors work.

The danger is part of the fun, really. Or avoiding the danger by knowing what you're doing. Learning is also fun.

Most people shouldn't even try to do it, but this is what I went to trade school for, so if anyone can do this, it's probably me. It's not like I can avoid electricity anyway.

it's just the flyback, you'll be fine. Besides, if it kills you the eletrical shock is so powerful, you'll immediately have a heart attack and die, without even feeling a thing.

Is there any way to convert YPbPr to RGB without adding massive input lag?

yeah, its an analog to analog conversion but the problem is Y/Pb/Pr is a lossy (4:2:2) signal compared to RGB which is a lossless signal (4:4:4 rgb spectrum) - so you'll be getting the same exact quality.

There are converters for rgb to y/pb/pr.

For $300 you can get a 4K display.

most 4k lcd's suck tho, you'll want a 4k led which is in the only lasts 4 years and costs $6000 range.

4k is the worst meme to come out from shitty flat panels since light bleeding.

no, curved lcds and 3d and 120hz interpolation are worse. LCD technology has some really embarrassing limitations in its growth, they've tried so many gimmicks to give customers something to spend money on instead of just improving the pixel count and providing actual useful features. 4K is at least a benefit but everything else? If you bought a new TV just for that, I feel really sorry for you.

smart shit can also die.

4k is far worse. Those sheeps are literally paying to see even more imperfections.

I have to disagree, having more pixels for detail is an actual tangible improvement. The bigger joke is TV manufacturers abandoning analog inputs.

Oh and 1440p isn't a meme, huh? Are you not going to tell me that 1080p is a fucking meme too?

I guess 8K must be the ultimate meme!

I have this theory that anti-CRT fags are the same faggot spics from the Emulation threads that keep shitting on people that own original hardware. B-but muh rig

Thanks for your game theory, champ. I have this hunch that you own at least one hat made out of aluminium foil. And you might even be wearing it right now. You know that your hat makes it EASIER for them to get at your brain, right?

How did you know? Are you with the feds???

it really is just one incredibly angry fag with a vpn that gets incredibly asshurt about these subjects

Why don't you just emulate games & throw a CRT filter over it? It's cheaper & isn't going to take up as much space either. If you have that much cash to burn get an OLED TV.

Proper CRT filtering recquires at least a 4K display.

looks like shit, and CRT is better

Why don't we drink fucking bleach and punch ourselves in the dicks?

Like I said, get a 4K OLED if you have cash to burn on old games, consoles & CRTs that people keep jacking up the prices for anyways.

yeah but emulation sucks and 4k still has scaling, crt has many more benefits for games.

Kill yourself. All of them look garish and don't come close to looking like a real CRT

Sony CRT's are not suitable for 240p gaming. They are far too sharp.

I don't notice the difference between a game running at normal screen-resolution and a game running at 4K, personally. There's a cutoff point for graffix where I just completely fail to notice any improvement. Saves me money on getting the biggest and bestest thing because I'm easy to please.

A very fair assertion, and I don't really disagree. The most irritating things is that UIs in video games tend to be scaled at absolute values while the game itself is scaled at your display resolution. So playing at 720p, the game itself looks the same, but the HUD looks super large and gets in the way compared to say 1080p or 1440p.

Some shit in old games is meant to be displayed through CRT scan lines though.

Can you post a picture from level 1 near a waterfall, and another near one of the level 1 trees?

I've got two really nice monitors and a shitty tv. Being able to play old vidya at normal resolution without awful blurry scaling or playing in a window is well worth the $4. I still don't get why these threads always trigger people.

Widescreen ones like those are pretty rare iirc. Also, jews.

Do you think this is what the developers intended? Consoles usually output different aspect ratios than the TV, which stretched the scanlines to fill the display. (which is why the playstation ones looks squished, most emulators just double the vertical pixels to fix it) You can't get the aspect ratio to the intended 4:3 digitally without non-integer scaling. (which rarely doesn't look like shit) At literally 1:1 you'll get these pics, and with integer scaling you'll always get black bars.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

Alright snobs, I'm gonna dump some CRT shaders.
Drop your bias for for a moment & pick one.

A lot of genesis games need a shit TV or a shit TV filter. Sonic is one of them.

Like these ntsc shaders?

I'm going to level with you, I'm not pro/anti-CRT or pro/anti-LED. I just think telling people "throw out your hardware and just emulate" is kind of silly. There's advantages and disadvantages to emulation and regular hardware.

Like for example, emulation is a solution for people with limited space who can't store an entire console's library of cartridges/boxes. Actual hardware is for people who absolutely insist that they have the truest gaming experience.

The only problem is that there are extremists on both sides. Emulators are universally banned when it comes to Speedrunning, even if the emulator is perfect and the ROM is untouched because there are purists who insist that only the 100% officially stamped hardware chips are acceptable.

Just like there's dumbasses who post things like "fuck hardware, and only emulate." I hate the idea of paying gougers, but I can see the merits of both approaches to this hobby we call video games.

A reasonable person? On my Holla Forums? GET OUT

That is a reasonable position given the price increases & space requirements yet the response to said position are to pretend it is unreasonable & spew disinfo about the capabilities of emulation to inflate the alternative as the singular & only option.

So long as we're being reasonable can anyone compare OLED & CRT? I can't seem to find a decent versus comparison.

Remove the memelines. NTSC shaders look like shit with them.

This is bait.

media.8ch.net/file_store/06226a9d70a6d5d424c27484c3aded4da35bd9ea668a58517f44fd372cb61efc.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/c10943a79f9c0d47bfe7ee9b4d10439a0e9d1e805b6a28b430b93bdf7d8e1ef3.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/11e64089da9d45c6d93b8a8c6fb6a9f7402babb31c7228b968731883203fa434.jpg
media.8ch.net/file_store/d5a1e8ef77fd28ef9d5a5a27d0394839fe346e92af497f0426a51a3b1d9aa357.jpg

best are above

sure, captured from an ikegami htm 2050RA1, saturn sonic jam in RGB.

I bought 3 chipmodded PS1s for less than 50 dollars, they all work. Stop looking on ebay.

Thanks fam.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRT,_LCD,_plasma,_and_OLED
Here's a comparison chart, not sure what data in specific you're looking for.

They are the same type of faggot that insists they watch their movie on VHS rather than DVD or blue ray because they were too young to remember this technology but want to be "nerdy".

Playing vidya on an LCD screen is like watching a movie on VHS. Playing it on a CRT is like watching it on blu-ray. Your analogy is as backwards as you are gay.

No they aren't, you retard. Records have a higher frequency range than CDs. Learn how things work. > They are the same type of faggot that insists they watch their movie on VHS rather than DVD or blue ray because they were too young to remember this technology but want to be "nerdy".

lol I fucked up my post as hard as possible

Some movies are not on DVD and blueray and may never be.

plus other vhs formats like svhs are comparable to dvd quality.

no ones ever ripped the unedited trilogy and uploaded it digitally?

deinterlacing interlaced videos causes more issues than it corrects. It just makes it so progressive scan only displays (lcd) can play back the content. If your set can natively handle interlaced signals, no point in deinterlacing.

Star Wars: Limited Edition trilogy

Features the uncut/unedited laser disc format.

High spec CRTs are really hard to find these days. Otherwise, knock yourself out and enjoy.

Betamax > VHS though.

The screen that the OP posted is a PVM (Professional Video Monitor). These types of CRT screens were built to last for decades, so saying they have a bad lifespan is inaccurate. They look a lot nicer too.

There's no column for OLED.

do you have a column for a $6000 display?

I'd ask if you had the shit for posting, but it's evident already.

it's more a joke about the prices of them, OLED is a mixture of too expensive and has a poor lifetime to be considered worthwhile.

To be fucking honest, everything when it comes to video technology seems to be too expensive. I loathe looking at monitors to replace my monitors, because the price tags make me irritated.

you are right, best I can say is 1080p displays are very affordable now, you can probably get acer ones for like 90 bucks. Still, I value quality and I'm not exactly giddy to go down to 16:9 from my 16:10 PC displays, and I'd loathe going from 10 to 8 or even 6 bit color since my htm2050ra1 is 15000:1 (smpte-C) and supports 10-bit video and it's from 2002.

Not to mention refresh rates. LCD displays are pretty much pick the one thing you want and hope it's not too shitty in the other aspects. CRT was much nicer in that it was "this one goes up to 1600x1200 and only does 85hz, but if you run at 1024x768 you can hit 165hz, or [email protected]/* */"

now its like 120hz and 1080p with lol 6-bit or 8-bit color, 144hz with gsync (dead tech) or 4k korean shit.

cancerous market place.

I'll agree with too expensive, but OLED lifespan is ~100k hours now, the same as LCD.

CRTs for old/fighting games, HDTV for modern games
old question discussed hundreds of times with the same answer, check em

The laserdisk version was superior I hear. You could probably find a torrent somewhere out there for it.

So let's say I open up an arcade. Would you feel it would be cooler to have a bunch of cabinets with LCDs, or CRT tubes? One is clearly much cooler. There's nothing unique or interesting about modern displays, even if they are technically superior in many aspects. Having a CRT makes your home feel a little more like an arcade when you're playing one is what I'm saying.

Is that why anime is so bad?
They blow the budget on shitty hardware and have to outsource it to some korean sweatshop for cheap?

Laserdisk has problems of its own, but it's watchable I suppose.

The Despecialized editions of the films is a pretty neat project that is worth looking into. There is some top-tier autism involved with restoring the original film through bits and bobs of the highest quality sources available, and there are still more things they need to do yet.

docs.google.com/document/d/1yLsvexWBVM8IYSGopKuSfsGk5YIgCwQWd23bqb5ryD4/pub

Anime is bad because in 2002 Japan decided

hey, you know all these 2D drawing techniques we learned over the years from the 1960s all the way until now? Let'e throw those all away and start making anime using shitty pcs from now on

This is why anime from 2002-207 or so is only available at dvd resolutions, & why so few anime are mastered at 1080 these days. You could technically re-scan any 16mm anime from the 70s at 4K, & any 32mm anime to 8k,but with modern anime they all just do it on PCs so the best they can do is upscale because they don't have something to physically re-scan. Picture related, the 2004 black jack series will always look like shit because nobody who worked on it knew how to do an anime digitally & it's stuck at 500-something P forever.

The Faces edition LD is the best avaliable I know of. My LD player still works so i enjoy them from time to time.

Anime has been bad long before 2002.

I have that box set.

True, but I'm talking specifically art direction & resolution. Around that time they switched to using computers they previously only knew how to use for porno games to make their anime. It's only now that we're slowly recovering, & most anime is still done at 720p with paintbucket-like solid colors.

If anything using computers had improved since 2000s
Apart from high budget movies almost everything was outsourced to Korea which pretty much removed any originality in art style.

Up-scaling a pure digital source isn't completely impossible you know. It just takes a lot of time and effort to make sure it's done right.

I agree, but I still miss things like say, water colored backgrounds. They don't do those in modern stuff since it's all digital. That's not to say they COULDN"T, but…eh, what can I say. I like the 2D stuff. Even manga got hit hard by this. Berserk does not look even half as good as it did when it was being drawn the way it use to be done.

So yeah, I like Tube TVs.

pretty much the koreans are as easy to direct as you can make it for them. the studios are cheap but if you know what you're doing, you can outsource and get good results from them given you keyframe things correctly. flip flappers shows that enough experience doing this can lead to good things.

on the flip side you have berserk.

Unless you're playing lightgun games, or an arcade cabinet (Or, a first generation console), there's really no point to owning a CRT over playing a game on an emulator (Preferably, one on your computer). The only exception I can see is if you're incredibly autistic about "authenticity" and lag between the game and the screen (The real reason), but, even then, you'd be buying a computer monitor (Possibly with sound), not a TV. Even with their "reliability", CRTs lack consistency as they get older and wear out.

And, you will never really know if you're playing the game with the right tint and colors unless you grab the manual (Which NO ONE ever does).

I forgot to mention, the game this manual belongs to is Cosmic Fantasy Stories.

those are pretty big pngs

You can find the rest of the manual here: archive.org/details/Cosmic_Fantasy_Stories_1992_Riot_JP

Strangely enough the new Berserk anime is actually handled by Japanese studios.

And how are suppose to determine if the manual screenshots are "the way the game is suppose to look" exactly? For all you know, manual screenshots in an instruction manual could have been outsourced to some cheap fan-zine or something before the game went to be pressed.

using the latest in production technology and all that wonderful stuff. Hasn't panned out too well.

>IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE

Do you know of any other way to determine how the game was suppose to "officially" look? Unless I'm mistaken, none of the developers of older games (Who are still around) have made a voice on how these games should be rendered with modern day tech. The only company who has, however, is Nintendo, and even they lack the "look" the older games are "suppose" to have.

few have ever said anything. Generally you can base it off of the development environment and the consoles capabilities. Some have gone on record to say the game looks best in RGB, but generally none were ever really asked about that. Either way, they typically designed graphics on trinitron monitors. As far as modern tech goes, the idea is to not use modern tech to display these games unless its designed for it, like a framemeister.

too fucking heavy to carry around, and OLED is too fucking eye-searingly bright.

why are you carrying around your CRT everywhere? Also you don't want slim line CRT, you want good ones.

So what the hell started this CRT meme?
Was it Game Sack? They use CRTs and I think they even suggested playing a game on a CRT once.

Didn't know 3D movie maker was cutting edge technology
It might as well be for those tech illiterate nips.

There are two major people pushing for this meme, hipsters and scalpers.

Probably the inability to support lightgun console games for both CRTs and LCDs, which is why the genre died out (So, about the early mid-2000s). Prior to the Wii, all lightgun games were programmed for a CRT (AFAIK), and I'm unsure what they're using for the modern day lightgun games in the arcade (Probably a similar system to the Wii or PS3).

I haven't played a lightgun game in 25 years and still prefer using a CRT for my emulated games and my old consoles.

because it doesn't look like shit compared to LCD.

True that, it's a shame Sony always spends more backing their inferior format.

VHS was by Victor, not Sony.

Here's a good question. Is there a preferred CRT monitor that can be handled and managed without having to be an engineer? I'm not the most clever person when it comes to electronics and I just want a CRT after playing some old SNES and N64 games on my LCD TV. Needless to say I can't do it. The video quality is fucking terrible even at reduced resolutions. And my best efforts at color correction aren't great. All I want is something I can plug in and get going with minimal hassle and looks fucking solid and can take a bit of abuse. Am I better off just getting a $15 CRT from my thrift? I don't want to go above $200 for something I'm only going to use occasionally.

go to a thrift store, find a round tube sony trinitron of preferable size with at least s-video but preferably with component RCA in. You don't need anything special with it, if anything it might not be a bad idea to learn some basic electronics maintenance with capacitor replacement in the future.

s-video is about the best you can do for nintendo consoles, and the n64 especially without modding it.

Only the N64. SNES supports native RGB (unless you have a mini), and of course cube and beyond support component.

Let me write this down so I don't forget. I don't really live in a large city so it's not likely that there will be one in my county. I'll have to google all this shit though. Many thanks however.

I mainly do N64 these days. Most of the stuff I have now was at a high cost thanks to scalpers. I used to have a giant PS1 collection and a decent SNES collection before I lost it all in a house fire. I actually had a fucking giant N64 collection as well and more than 6 copies of CbFD thanks to having a friend who used to work at Blockbuster. Somebody please kill me.

I have an ED (enhanced-definition) tv. It doesn't seem to lag like HD and isn't crazy sharp either meaning the sharp edges and low poly shit hides decently. It was the best thing I could dig up because all the CRT tv's near me had ear-splitting buzzing.

Anyone have experience with this shit? I haven't really been able to side-by-side compare it with CRT, other than it's definitely a little sharper.

I like to roll NTSC without memelines.

So how do I go about getting a PVM and how much can I expect to pay for one? And how do I get a decent picture out of it without too much work? I'm not knowledgable at all about connectors and things of that nature. I mainly want it to play SNES, Genesis, PSX and Dreamcast.

How bad does CRT TVS look on games designed for CRT Monitors and vice-versa?

Posting in an ebin meme thread.

/thread

/thread

How did this particular cancer even take hold here?

Year of our Lord 2017,
when sons want to play vidya like their dads did,
and dads want to play vidya like their sons finally can.

the amount you pay depends on the size/what it's capable of. They use BNC connectors, but I'd say pay about $70-100 for a 13-14" one with RGB. It's very simple to get rgb out of consoles for it, just need to get the appropriate scart cable and scart to bnc adapter, there's plenty of sellers to get these from. You can also get RGB out of all of those systems very easily. Only annoying one is the SNES due to how the quality of the signal varies so much.

hard to compare them because computer monitors use a 31khz signal and consumer tvs use 15khz and are rarely ever interchangeable, the ones that are interchangeable are multiformat displays.

crt tv's largely do not support rgb when it comes to america, and PC monitors all have rgbhv on the 15-pin dsub, so they would all look better on a PC monitor in theory - it also helps that these typically have higher quality phosphor in them. It is possible to convert signal into something usable by PC monitors and vice versa, but this usually requires extra hardware.

Best monitor coming up.

/thread

why didn't the thread stop there? could it be that modern tech hipsters were just wrong again?

Hmmm, smells to me like someone doesn't want this discussion here

And you are probably IP hopping now

no, I'm (36) I wouldn't wanna abandon a high score

Some shit tier brands have a high frequency beep that makes them irritating to use, but most adults can't hear it.

Nope, it's hipsters.

What you're saying makes absolutely no sense.

Modern studios are shit at mastering everything, not just old records. An upside of vynils is how they are an analog storage method for something that's inherently analog, thogheter with the fact that the tech to play them back sounds better than soundboxes. Of course everything is unreliable, unconvenient and expensive as fuck on a vinyl setup so they are no competition at all to anything on the
modern market outside of the extreme top-end where a few companies do things out of goodwill

'kay

-t. gsync shill

Guess what nigger, we don't.
Also >what is double posting

learn to hide threads faggot

You all faggots are fucking retarded. Your screens are dumb memes and you should be fucking shot.

>>>Holla Forums

100% correct t. pirate who knows about the brick wall

never got why some fags get so triggered over a simple discussion over an alternative display method

Fuck off normalfag

here comes the denial that these things don't exist

0/10, no one believes you. Go back to 4chan if you think emulators don’t work flawlessly.

>Site is powered on an the extremely rare element of pure autism

there is nothing to get autistic about with LCDs, they suck and are incredibly boring. CRTs are a giant light bulb and they are better than the latest LCD technology and that kind of technological wizardry is worth giving a fuck about

kind of unrelated, but how should I play GB/C/A games, like this? I definitely disliked trying to play completely without memegrids or memelines, I think they make 2d games look better

with the gbi for the gamecube gb player

They look a little heavy tbh. Can you make the screen bigger and the lines thinner? I prefer original hardware for portables but GB/GBA flash carts go for around $40. i have one of each anyway, don't get the ems 64m one if you don't like chink software that only works on windows xp

gayboys don't have scanlines, though.

No, they have lines between the pixels, which is what he posted. If you have good enough light you should be able to notice it on a real gameboy.

rom injections on the 3DS + GBC resolution/border enabled and the 3D on is the best way to play GBC games on something that isn't a GBC

So guys, you ever do the RetroPie thing?
I have one but i'm struggling hard with input lag in some instances. Maybe there's something i'm missing out on? Some customization I need to do after the initial install?

I've never had input lag on it. What kind of controller do you have? What display?

I'm using it with pic related. USB connected.

The display i'm using is a 55 inch 4k TV.

I knew it. Check for a "game mode" in the TV settings. If it still lags try connecting it to something else to make sure it's the TV. You could use a PC monitor with HDMI or DVI via adapter.
how's the dpad?

>that spacing
please don't

Have you only emulated 6+ gen or what?

I honestly want a set of VR goggles. Screen tech isn't going to do anything new for a while, but they seem neato.

thanks for the suggestion, you're completely right. Changed it around a bit and it does look better to me, before I lessened the grids it was a bit straining even

Try setting the mouse polling rate to 1khz.
I say mouse polling because that's the name of the setting but it actually sets the polling of all USB devices that use polling. It's probably not the issue you're having but it'll help with input lag and analog precision.

Soo… RGB isn't the composite cable, then? I found a monitor with analog and digital RGB but I'm guessing you wouldn't have bothered to bring up the scart cable and the SNES being annoying if its default composite cables worked on that.

Sorry, I know nothing about this. It's just that I saw one of these PVMs in person and I really dug it so much that I wanted to get one.

The composite cable blends the Red, Green and Blue signals. Hence the name composite, and the fuzzyness of the signal along the lines of color contrasts.

The component cable splits the aforementioned colors up into 3 appropriately colored cables that give a much cleaner picture once they are combined into an image on your tv.

RGB is Red Green Blue, it's so lossless that you can't adjust it when you fiddle with the color levels. Composite is RGB carried all on one cord, so it's fuzzy. That's what a composite is right? Something made from a bunch of different things.

Okay, what I'm asking is, I need something more than the cable that came with the SNES? What do I need to hook it up to a BVM?

And do I need similar things for Genesis/PSX/Dreamcast?

Do you mean reference monitors with BVM? If so I don't think so.

Not sure if this is what you're asking for, but, to get the best signal out of all of those systems (Excluding the Dreamcast) is to buy an RGB Scart cable and an adapter (Which is the true for nearly all vintage systems).

My family is quite the opposite. Being completely retarded is a family trait and one day when I was a kid my mother saw a documentary about hoarders and vowed to never become one nor let me and my brothers become ones too. So what she does is throw away every-fucking-thing. One day when I was a kid I came back from school and my bike was missing, after looking for it I asked my mother about it and she said I wasn't using it and that she threw it away. Similar stuff happened to a trillion of things a trillion of times.

Heavy as fuck, overpriced, need external speakers for sound.

I hope you use external speakers and not the shit built in.

Scart cable and adapter… okay, and where do they sell them? Do they sell them in pairs? I just look online for that shit?

And what's the way to get the best signal out of the Dreamcast?

Scart cables are shitty in their design, so you kinda need more expensive ones. I think the site is retrogamingcables.co.uk or something, they make good scart cables designed to specification, well shielded, and for each variance in model too. You'll need a scart to bnc adapter, i think a guy on ebay named wookieewin makes them.

For dreamcast they system can do 640x480p through vga, but not all monitors support that, its easy to just use a pc monitor for that. Otherwise if you are stuck using 480i, you can use plain rgb through scart.

There is also consolegoods.co.uk/ One of the things you have to make sure about Scart cables, however, is that it the cable is compatible with your system and is the right cable. Not all RGB Scart cables are compatible cross-region, and some cables will send out a composite signal depending in the configuration of the cable and the system they're hooked up to.

I'm sorry user. I fucking hate people who do that. My grandmother was the same way and now she has no money because she has to replace everything she throws out or gives away.

I don't even know why I watched that video. The genius bought a PAL cable unknowingly and learned his mistake, then he goes and buys another PAL cable as a "fix".

To get RGB out of a super nintendo you need

1: A Euro Scart Cable for your SNES
2: Female Euro Scart to BNC connector
3: an RGB capable CRT that accepts BNC cables in the back
4: speakers for sound
5: an amp to turn your sound up & down

Genesis & PSX do RGB natively, so you just buy a euro scart cable for each of those systems & you're set, however the Dreamcast is a little different. MOST of the games in the dreamcast library do RGB, but some only work in VGA mode. There might be a way to patch that handful of games to work in RGB though if you need to.

Do you by chance know what kind of device and cable combination would be best to hook up my macbook to my old CRT? It has a mini display port and the TV has Scart. I want to play emulated games on a real tube. There's all kinds of crap on amazon but I don't know what to buy.

No clue. Most emulation to CRTs is done either through modding a wii, or setting up a Rasbery Pi as an emulationbox. I've never owned any apple products.

CRT televisions used to come with capable speakers, the phenomena of soundbars is a flatscreen thing.

CRTs are an objectively superior display technology and shitposters are retarded.

Consumer grade TV CRTs are rarely that good, but the only thing usable for retro games on the cheap if you own hardware. People like me bought my consoles and games years ago when they were still cheap and still have them. There's nothing wrong with emulation if that's your thing. You can never replicate the look of a CRT on even the best LCD screens and using filters for this is stupid. However, filters are useful if you are simply trying to make retro games easier on the eyes. As someone who owns pro grade CRT equipment (I've done video editing) I can tell you that they aren't a meme, but for the most part it's a hefty investment in money and space.

The best way to play retro games on the cheap with the advantages of higher end television sets/wntry level PVMs is any old CRT computer monitor with an emulator imho. You get RGB quality image and no need for all these crazy filters and shit (and even so if you put down a scanline filter under these circumstances it looks pretty legit.)

the only advantage of VHS was that it was cheaper and could record for longer and hold higher capacity. it was lower quality and required "tracking"

VHS was the shit format.

To be fair some of us can't afford to dish out

yeah, using a blank line filter on a CRT will fairly accurately capture the way 240p is supposed to look. The trained eye would notice a difference.

this is getting into that 31khz/15khz territory and in short, it won't work. If you want to hook into a CRT from a desktop computer, you are best off getting a nice old monitor.

this is true, but it's still a good idea to have a good sound setup. Many high end consumer models also had the ability to wire a stereo system directly through the set, and you could set the TV speakers to work as a center speaker.

CRTs like emulators are a meme

every game feels better on a crt and far more responsive too

pure fucking autism.

Wait, I need speakers as well? What kind of speakers? Any particular brand or bundles of speakers that I can acquire? I want to simplify this as much as possible.

Why won't the TV produce sound?

because many pro monitors have no speakers because they would sound like shit. you want good sound and you want good picture. Just don't put the speakers next to the monitor because it can cause magnetic damage. You can even use cheapo PC speakers and they'll sound better than whats in most TVs. Just get an RCA female to 3.5mm female.

TLDR: Yes. Most monitors do NOT have built in speakers as they were built for medical purposes, not for video games.

See those red & white cables? That's your audio that comes out of your console once you've plugged in a euro scart cable. You need to take that, preferable with an extension cord since it's so short, & plug that into a 3.5mm Stereo to 2-RCA Male to Female Adapte/,Audio Splitter. Once you have that, then the audio splitter plugs into the AMP of your choice. I'm surprised you've never done this. You DO have external speakers on your PC right? It's essentially the same thing. You're just taking the audio from the cable & caping it off with a headphone jack so you can plug it into an amp to control your volume levels & send it to two speakers.

Enjoying your scaler lag, blurry image, inconsistent lighting and shit color and contrast?

Meanwhile, on CRT, with no scaler lag, with no scaler aliasing and slop:

Even upper end consumer grade PC CRTs are objectively superior. I almost never have to use a shitty dark theme on my CRT because there isn't a backlight washing out all contrast.

I just use a 2x scale at 640x480 for emulation. Looks just fine, and since I'm using a CRT with a max res in the 1440p range, the scanlines are perfect.

The machines were lighter too, so it cost less to ship VCRs around the country.

SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH THOSE WIDESCREEN CRTS AND I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER

esferfcsdr

crtttt

I was born in 1997

Jesus Christ, that's some expensive equipment. That one 16:9 CRT alone is like $3000

it launched at $20,000 USD

actually I lied, it launched at $65,000 it's a BVM-D32E1WU which is largely considered the greatest CRT master monitor ever produced.

And by picking up you mean fucking truck loading that monster, sony shit back in the day was HEAVY as FUCK

pro monitors are substantially heavier than consumer ones too. the D32 clocked in at 205lb.

its like a dream come true, isn't it?

seems more like a waste of good technology to me, but I suppose that's what most of this whole thing is anyway.

that's the essence of video games.

Where can one purchase a pvm or the like without having to spend thousands of dollars anons? I already a widescreen CRT but I'd really like one of these for my Saturn

ebay, lemme know if you want more terms to look up besides pvm. should cost you in the 100-150 range tops for a nice desktop size one.

Given how shit upscaling filters in retro games always are, I'm always paranoid about upscaling anything at all. Besides, with the time it would take to correct everything to be absolutely perfect, you may as well just redraw the whole damn thing.

With 16mm/32mm or whatever, you can just rescan them and you're done.

upscaling digital sources is also a terrible idea for video games.

Buy me one please

what about the fact that they're xboxhueg?

They'll be on an episode of Hoarders Get Rekt before long.

Why don't you go waste another $400 on a shitty old TV you don't need because you have a social disease?

-t. gysnc shills

Genuine question, who besides kids being given a retro look at something by a parent is playing Sonic still at this point? You've seen everything there is to see,

If there's adults out there past 20 still doing so (and not making money from it) do you ever question how your scope on life became so stunted that you're still playing games as childish as this like it's something worth doing now? How much longer can one play Sonic the fucking rat creature for in their life before they abdicate it to the past?

same person retard

no, it is not
now think for a second why a sampling rate is nonsense for an analogue medium with a continuous signal. i'm not surprised seeing this in the crt thread, unopposed.

Those are VGA monitors. They can't use RGB.

RGB is 15khz, those are 30khz VGA monitors.

The reason Betamax failed is because Sony tried it's usual Jew proprietary licensing shit. VHS was a relatively open standard allowing more manufacturers and thus competition into the market.

15khz is just the sync frequency, RGB can be 15 or 31khz or whatever you can make it sync to, however he won't be able to use those monitors with a console without transcoding the video.

VGA is RGBHV, the signal is 31khz which has a minimum line count of 480 progressive.