These games any good? I want to get in the Fire Emblem series. If they aren't good...

These games any good? I want to get in the Fire Emblem series. If they aren't good, can anyone tell me any of the old games worth a shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/r5APZ
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67613-fire-emblem-if-fan-translation-under-new-management/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, they're the most complete brain dead games in the series. Don't bother with any of the 3DS games
Seriously any of them are better. Shadow Dragon and the NES ones may feel a bit archaic tho.

Or you can go play the Tactics Ogre games which is an infinitely better series

Fates is complete shit, Awakening was okay.
Start at the SNES or GBA games.

Awakening and Birthright? No. You'd be better off starting with that new one and even then it'd be better if you just got the jap version. You really want to get into the series, start with the older ones. Awakening is mind-numbingly dumb and Fates is even worse.

The good ones are Geneology of the Holy War and Thracia 776 AD for the SNES, BIinding Blade and Sword of Seals for the GBA, Path of Radiance for the GC and (if you are invested in PoR's characters and don't mind a choppier game), Radiant Dawn for the Wii.

Sacred Stones (GBA), Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem for the DS are worth it if you are a fan. I haven't beaten Echoes but it seems like it is New Mystery of the Emblem tier.

Blazing Blade or whatever they translated it as. The Roy and Eliwood pair.

What makes Fates shit, out of curiosity

(not OP) I tried Tactics Ogre on the PSP and it's the same autistic nano-management as Final Fantasy Tactics. There is so much fiddling around with every character's class equipment, level and any combination of those on top of a retarded levelling system where your stat increases depend on the class you currently have. Why not just give me skill points to allocate as I like instead? I guess if you have OCD that game will be right up your alley.

some of the worst maps in the series, piss easy difficulty compared to the rest of the series, stupid amounts of cut content for DLC, one of the worst localizations nintendo has produced in recent years and is essentially 1 game split into 3 for extra jew gold.
The game has nothing in it that hasn't been done better in the older games, they're just a big waste of time.

Awakening and fates aren't that great. Fates conquest on Lunatic mode is fun but the story and characters and scenario are still bad.

Can't go wrong with the GBA ones as an entry to the series.

Both are a bit too waifu bait and pandery, with characters filling slots for peoples fetishes and tropes. Both have subpar locallizing, especially fates where the laziness and memery is unparalleled. Awakening has some broken mechanics too that Fates fixed.
I think Echoes is good so far, no memes and characters and story is a better thanks to being a remake, but not a good first dip as it's a bit different. Game is fun though

Pretty poor writing, a really botched translation job on top of it with a lot of fucking characters getting entire personality changes, Birthright's gameplay being about the same level as Awakening with very little improvement, shoehorned child units, DLC up the ass with the game literally cut up into three pieces to make you buy more, and in the US at least, the game was censored pretty hard to the point where they removed. The only thing Fates has going for it is the gameplay of Conquest, but even then you have to deal with the worst fucking story it has to offer. Its not worth it.

Meant to say they removed an entire game mechanic with the censorship.

4, 5, 7, 9, 12

6, 8, 10, 11

2, 13

14 has the worst maps. Even Gaiden's horribly empty maps were better by virtue of not encouraging you to stand in formation while the enemy kills themselves on a rout map.

The 3DS ones are shite. Try the SNES/GBA ones.

Yeah FFT/Tactics Ogre are unbelievably autistic.

The US version is just "Fire emblem" since it was the first one to leave nippon. It's the 7th one

Fire Emblem, the series where fans think they're hard shit for playing a game with permadeath, but reset the console every time a player dies.

Games aren't bad but censorship is shit. I played gamecube game after I played awakening and awakening was better in everyway. Glad that shitty director that handled gamecube and wii game won't make fire emblem anymore since animu is better than westernized trash.

m8, Awakening was boring trash. Characters and story aside, the level design was just horrible and turned almost every chapter into the same thing.
I haven't even played the GC one by the way.

These two things should NEVER be in the same game. This is my biggest gripe with this series.

(hence all the seemingly useless units)

The fuck?

So exactly like XCOM and SRW players? This is the training wheels for iron man, faggot.

something something risk management

now I have to ask, what was it

It was catgirl. Yes, THAT catgirl.

It was just the sad nino pic but for some reason multiplied and deleted

I'm not sure what you're talking about
n-no bully

They're fine. They have cringey waifu shit, but I'm sick of that being the main criticism we hear about them. Who fucking cares about the plot in FE? It's never interesting. The gameplay is good, especially in Conquest, that's all that matters.

FE7 (just "Fire Emblem") is best.
Play that shit now user. Its a beautiful and amazing game.

You didn't read the thread did you nigger

Play 1-5, skip the rest.

(checked)
If you're saying skip the non Kaga games then at least mention Tearing/beerwick saga.

Nigga you gay

This. Although FE became far less ballbusting post-Thracia, some titles beyond it are well worth playing.

Namely Fuuin no Tsurugi (6), PoR, and RD. 7 is really a newfig's entry point and 8, while fun, is without any challenge at all.

Everything post-Shadow Dragon (and including it) has been pure, unadulterated feces.

6 is so fucking empty and bland (not to mention the balance is awful. Too many characters are just straight up useless or likely to be RNG screwed). 7 is overall a much more complete title.

It's from reddit but it's a decent guide. Any problems in it can be corrected by reading this thread.

archive.is/r5APZ

GBA games are good. Start with FE7 and FE8.

SNES games are better, but they take way too long to complete. It takes me 3-6 hours to complete a single stage/chapter in FE4 as opposed to FE7's 30 minutes.

The 3DS games are pretty easy and are not faithful to the series. Fates was created with casual mode in mind, so there's no weapon durability or permadeath for the main major characters. If they "died" as a unit, you'll still see them become involved in the story until they get killed in a CG cutscene. It's very linear in comparison to any of the FE games plotwise unless if you shell out dosh for dlc.

You utilize terrain and supports to reduce the chance of them hitting you. Hide in trees/fortresses and stick with your buddies.

I killed units in FE4 by accident.

They're there in-case you killed off some units by mistake. They're worse off to an extent to punish the player for fucking up and killing off the better ones. (Though in some cases the filler units are arguably better than the ones you're "supposed" to use)
Bls elaborate. Roy is a plank of wood and generally shit, and while the plot suffers for it, it's still pretty decent.
Is this to say that 6 is somehow incomplete? How is one more complete than the other?

It's not too many characters, it's too many useless characters. If you used… Ogier, Wendy, Geese, or Lot (all of whom show up before Chapter 10) they'd all turn out useless.

Every chapter in 6 (except some trial maps and the last boss) is a seize chapter, thieves can't promote for no particular reason, the plot is very generic and straight forward and they didn't really have any idea what to do with half the characters character wise. Overall it really lacks the polish 7 has. 6 isn't a bad game but compared to 7 it's really not that great.

Because that's how most Fire Emblem games work, and specifically that's how Ankokuryuu worked, and Fuuin was very obviously a desperate attempt to go back to basics after Kaga left.

They couldn't in Ankokuryuu. Besides, a lot of other mechanics from the Jugdral games just got dropped.

That's honestly most Fire Emblem games. It stood out in the Famicom days because most games didn't have any story at all, and Jugdral had some stuff going for it, but overall it's always been "Big human war, by the way, DRAGONS"

Except for the part where 7 is a pushover clearly designed to be as casual-friendly as possible with a 10 stage forced tutorial that gives you ridiculously overpowered units early in the "proper" campaign, and in addition to a plethora of strong units you also get three Lords, one who is already a better Roy, and two who are just ridiculous and make the already easy game a joke.

Personally, I enjoyed Awakening but after playing older FE games i realized how dumbed down it was. Still fun but its definitely the McDonalds of the series whereas Fates is Wendys. Costs a helluva a lot more and tastes far better. FE PoR and RD are my favorite although Shadows of Valentia is definitely close behind them.

I dunno, i guess i just really enjoy the Tellius setting and how… real the characters feel.
Shadows of Valentia is really great too with the characters. Honestly going back to Fates is hard for me because only Conquest is satisfying and even then the storyline is… Okay.
I just hate how it relies on everybody holding a ball that says IDIOT and that being the focal point of the stories struggle.

I…I don't know if i can go back to Awakening.

FE PoR, RD and E:SoV have ruined me.

I keep seeing people say that Shadow of Valentia is good but I saw the ridiculous DLC bullshit, and I was told the base game's roster is too small and you have to fork over cash to expand it.

Is it actually a good game? I have very little right now to give a shit about in terms of vidya so it seems tempting just to have something.

That's stupid. The roster is actually who it should be.

If you've got FreeShop, go for it since it has Hard mode, if not, the original Famicom version is fine.

The game is faithful to the mechanics and map design from gaiden so it's pretty gud in that regard (although maps in gaiden where always quite shit,, it's still better than awakening)

The DLC is disgusting though. For example they want 15 dollars to get an extra promotion to all the classes or 4 dollars for a square room with urns that drop random items when you smash them and a couple of bandits.

The translation doesn't seem to bad most of the times. There are a couple out of place cringey lines but far fewer than fates or awakening.

The actual game is up on FreeShop, so if he's going that route, he won't need to play a translation anyway.

So have you guys tried a randomized run?

"the older games worked that way" isn't an excuse for bad design.

How the hell is Lyn mode giving you "ridiculously overpowered units", especially on a first run (where you're forced to burn the promotion item on a unit you'll never see again)? Without boss abuse the highest you'd get some units in the… 10-14 range?

He comes back around chapter 20, he's just not worth using because they make you waste the fucking unit.

That's still awfully high for Lyn mode, maybe only for 1 unit if you kill all the bosses with him/her. But hey, you can skip Lyn mode completely after beating the game once, so there's that. Hector Hard mode is the real game anyways

He can come back, but you'll miss him if your lords aren't underleveled.

You could argue that Thieves not being able to promote is bad design perhaps, but considering the nature of their role it could just as easily be a balancing factor - risk vs. reward. Stage objectives being seize isn't bad design at all though.

Even without abuse they're still much higher than the rest of your army is when they rejoin 4 or 5 stages in.

Then make that available from the beginning. "You have to beat the game to unlock the game" is not defensible.

Birthright is for fags

"You have to beat the game to unlock the game" is not defensible.

Agreed. But then again most games are like that, unfortunately

Are there any good games like FE on the PC? I thought I remember a freeware game that was like it.

SRPG studio but that's in nip.

I hear some people on Fire Emblem Universe are working on a translation.

That will make my dreams come true.

For that matter, fuck the DS games, too. They exhibited the first signs that the series was in trouble, and there was no reason for these remakes to exist when Mystery of the Emblem was already a perfect update. Shadow Dragon was a piece of shit and easily the worst version of the game, rewarding you for being a loser player who loses units during gameplay. New Mystery of the Emblem was a piece of shit and easily one of the most overrated imports ever, also cucking the story by self-inserting your avatar as "Marth's best friend" like a terrible fanfiction of the original.

If you want to get technical, the real root of the problem was Radiant Dawn's Treehouse localization, which renamed the difficulty options but didn't rebalance them like they did in Path of Radiance, leading to (English) reviewers and fans alike complaining that the game was garbage for being too hard. This got back to the (Japanese) team, but instead of the translation taking responsibility, Intelligent Systems somehow thought they were at fault for the relatively poor reception and decided to go back to the roots with the DS remakes, nearly killing the series while they were at it, and ruining later games with their experimental ideas (ie. My Unit and Casual Mode) that attracted the wrong sorts of attention to the franchise.

yeah but like, the DLC is unecessary anyways.

Just fight a bunch of skeleton-mans in the dungeons or other baddies and you will get plenty of XP.

My fucking Priestess Mae tanks better than fucking Valbar half the damn time.

Guy is kicking ass though, those hard mode bonuses really help.

7's story and characters were too good. Its an excellent starting point for newfags, and offers respectable challenge with HHM. Its telling when the biggest flaw is that it has a forced tutorial. The difficulty curve offers good challenge for newfags and is still respectable on higher difficulties
It is unfortunate you need a hacked rom to access it from the start though, but its also a different perspective on the entire story and I van understand why its forced

What
You just need a save file that's cleared the game once, it's the easiest thing to find

You're right I'm a retard lmao

Are the recruitment maps in Shadow Dragon even rewards? Those maps were extra fucking shitty, gave no experience, and the new units were ass.

Someone made a hack to remove the requirements. If someone made a hack to fix the lack of Falcon Knights post-wifi shutdown I might replay Shadow Dragon (once)

It's fixed in the Wii u port

What did they do? Wii U is hacked, have they extracted the rom like the 3DS VC games with changes?

I have to disagree wholeheartedly here - it was certainly designed with newfags in mind, but it coddles the player far too much to be a good introduction to the series, since it just primes them for more of the same dumbed down garbage that 7 itself was. Like with any game series, newfags should start with the original and work their way through in release order.

It's an easy point to bring up because it's so obvious, and so indicative of the mindset that went into designing the game, and into guiding the franchise going forward from that point.

it's not that bad.The micromanagement isn't that hard if you just focus on one team of characters.

Fire Emblem was a pretty obscure/niche series until Awakening happened. It's always 'been there', but it never really got much love until that game launched.

As someone who got into the series with Mystery, it's been a bitch to bring friends into the series. Whether Fire Emblem, or FFT, or Der Langrisser, seems like SRPGs in general have been too autistic for most people.

In the case of Awakening, I'm actually fucking thrilled that people are finally getting into a series that I've tried to bring friends into for the past twenty years. Yes, it brings in waifufaggots and shallow normalfags, but that's to be expected with anything that gets exposure. I think Awakening is a good game, and I think it's a great starting point. It's not too overwhelming, the characterization is nice, and it's casual enough that, if you like what you see, you can see what the rest of the series has to offer.

Fates is pretty terrible though. I greatly disliked it. My personal favorite is probably Genealogy of the Holy War, but really, read up on the whole series and see which sounds the most appealing to you, and go from there. Ease into it if you have to.

I don't really care what game brought you to the Fire Emblem series. What matters more to me, is that you're here.

Sorry for the blog, bros. Awakening gets a lot of shit (and for a few good reasons, but I still enjoyed it for what it was). There's much worse games than that one, and I think it's a happy medium for anyone interested in the series to start with.

so they should play through the games without the weapon triangle first?
or do you mean 6 or whatever 1 was in the US?

Despite what everyone says, Awakening is a good entry to the series, in that it does a good job of gently easing you into all the mechanics, how to think strategically in terms of the Fire Emblem games, supports and so on. Otherwise, Fire Emblem 7 on GBA, localised as only "Fire Emblem" will do

As you go back and play older games, the mechanics will be different but having knowledge of fates mechanics will help you fill the dots in these games, where explanations are always sparse.

If you mosey on over to cuckchan's /vg/, I believe the fire emblem threads there had an emulator pack of all the emulatable games except GC. Go ahead and give that a try.

And remember - if it got localised, it got fucked. Nearly every localised FE game had unnecessary script re-writes on their way down. Sadly, there is no fan re-translation for any of them except Fates, which was abysmally awful. Keep up with that here.
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67613-fire-emblem-if-fan-translation-under-new-management/

I mean the two games on the Famicom and the three on the Super Famicom.

I bought nip. ver. birthright for headpats, pretty good so far, but you're better off getting nintendogs.

Even if you don't hate Awakening, you have to admit it's one of the weaker entries in the series. It's not like these are the most compicated games in the world, any one of them is perfectly playable for a newcomer.

Except that's retarded when nearly all FEs are notably different and disconnected from each other in terms of story, characters, combat and even gameplay.
Your opinion should already be thrown in the fucking trash because you don't seem to know basic shit like 6's story OCCURRING AFTER 7's.
I likely won't ever play FE 1-3 because they're ugly, overly clunky and downright tedious garbage. Gaiden is a meme, and most people will agree those 3 have not aged well at all.
4-5 is when it starts being not-shit, and those are terrible entries for newfags
Also
In what way? Saying that its dumbed down garbage while providing no justification doesn't mean anything
What a shitty litmus test. Plus, that tutorial is hard as fuck for newfags for half of it because of how squishy Florina is.

Been playing FE9 in Nipponese lately. The script is so far fine, EXCEPT Marcia's dialog was just completely pulled out of NoA's ass.

You prefer watching the prequel trilogy before the original?
I agree with you on the NES games, but the only people that throw Mystery in there are modern remake-humpers. I bet you call it Archanea.

When the prequel makes the "sequel" make much more sense and has a better story than the sequel anyways then yeah
I haven't touched the remakes for them yet anyways; don't plan on it
shadow dragon is shit and Nu-mystery is likely overrated
I've always heard them called Akaneia; Archanea is new to me.

It's always been Akaneia until the North American version of Shadow Dragon. The European version released months earlier was just fine, but for some reason Treehouse felt they had something to prove and did a bunch of dumb name changes to a game that was already translated into English (they also renamed Sheeda/Shiida to Caeda for some asinine reason). Since then, the Treehouse-huggers have been going around and retroactively enforcing the NoA terminology on the rest of us, so now the Japan-only Satellaview game is called the "Archanea Saga" when anyone with basic weeaboo skills can tell you otherwise. Not even the fan-translations are safe, with New Mystery and others sucking up to Treehouse and ignoring that NoE was on their side the whole time.

That's exactly WHY you should start with the first and play them through in release order. It gives you an appreciation for where the series has come from, and how it's changed from game to game, to see what's been tried and how it's been implemented.

Are you confusing me with someone else? I don't recall saying anything that indicated that I believed Rekka's story was set after Fuuin.

I'm sorry that you don't like Fire Emblem, though I'm not sure what you're doing in a thread about the series in that case.

What does that even mean?

The entire world can "agree" the sun revolves around the Earth. Popularity does not equate to truth.

How?

Easier stages, higher starting stats and growth rates, more powerful equipment.

Having a tutorial mode at all is a warning sign, as Fuuin makes clear, and even in that case it was purely a side option that you never had to touch. Making it ten fucking stages (in a series where 25 or so is about average length) is just stupid. Again, it's indicative of the mindset that went into making the game.

If you find Rekka's tutorial stages "hard as fuck," you shouldn't be playing video games to begin with.

What is it with this series that makes people get so autistic over which one they recommend you start with? They're not complicated games, just pick one and start playing.

How's about I don't? I'm not going to play pong or some other uber-retro shit I know I won't like purely historical reasons
You're an idiot
No that just means its an easier game. No mechanics of the game were changed you mongoloid (besides some weapon triangle changes which made people that would've been completely unviable in 6 viable in 7)
No shit, but it does show a consensus and concerning a matter of opinion that's worth taking into account
Its integrated into Lyn's story and context in the main story so it works out fine for newfags
You're an autistic tool. I wonder if anyone ever took your advice and didn't end up regretting it

How do you know you won't like it? You've said yourself that you're not played them. And the original Fire Emblems are Famicom and SuFami, hardly retro.

There's a fine line between the terms, but if you want to talk purely mechanics, then sure, barring the retooling of magic that went on in the later games and the ability to actually have and gain Magic Defense, the removal of dismounting from Monsho and the skill system used in the SuFami titles, overall Rekka isn't that mechanically distant from the classic FEs.

Taking into account, sure, but as this very conversation makes clear, not something to base your decision wholly on, since if you went by popular opinion you'd skip the Kaga games entirely.

No, it doesn't work out for them, because it coddles them and gives them the easy as shit game that was Rekka. I don't know why you keep getting fixated on story, that has nothing to do with anything I've been talking about.

Losing when you're still experimenting is perfectly natural, but if by the time you've got the hang of how to use the game and what the shit you're seeing on screen means you're still having trouble with Rekka's tutorial, this isn't the hobby for you. And no, you don't need a tutorial to learn that shit, even if you didn't RTFM you can figure shit out by pushing buttons and seeing what happens.

But who is actually best girl in the whole series

In what fucking way? Setting aside, the stories are completely isolated.

I wouldn't use the word "obscure". I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure there was a small but dedicated western fanbase for it, translating the games that weren't released in english, romhacking and all

How is Awakening's translation?

It explains that explains that Zephiel was a dick because daddy didn't love him. That's about it I guess.
Actually, all it does is make you wonder why nobody in 6 mentions that big war they had 20 years ago.

Lyn

Florina, obviously.

You can't go wrong.

I actually thought of her when I posted, my fucking nigga.

There is no such thing as a good translation. Never play games in anything but their original language.

IMPREGNATE
CAMILLA