What are some games that either let you, or more preferably, force you to become the bad guy?

What are some games that either let you, or more preferably, force you to become the bad guy?

Pic unrelated? Nobody forced Walter to do shir

Spec Ops is the only thing that comes to my mind.

I just meant that I didn't mind if a game didn't allow you to choose the main characters choices and instead had a focused narrative, similar to

Both KotORs and Overlord are really all that come to mind off the top of my head. Maybe Prototype but that game is kind of boring.

If you want to win you basically have to start wars, conquer and oppress other civilizations, etc.

:-)

Most cRPGs are a safe bet in the "let you" department, though the quality of the execution varies greatly. Many sRPGs also have evil routes.

Problem with these games is that it is rarely done well, since it's mostly just acting like a schoolyard bully towards everyone. Like said Spec Ops is probably the best game in recent years that tackles the topic in a reasonably well done way.

In Overlord you have the choice of being an antihero or a straight up bad guy, in the sequel both choices on offer are evil, the difference being between lawful and chaotic.

I think what's really sad is that no game that gives you choices ever recognizes them, at least not really. You can never start an RPG being the good guy then slowly turn evil and have characters recognize the change or try to figure out where it happened.

Cash was a bad guy before the game begins, but still he's forced to do what he's doing during game

Literally Hitler the game :^)

To be honest, the only time a game has ever made me really pause to ponder my actions, is when I've looked at the casualty totals in grand strategy games. Millions of good young men, who'll never return home.

that game is so violent lol :o

That's HoI btw, Victoria ends after first WW IIRC

alright, gotcha fam ;)

I think the more tragic part is how banal the representations of evil in games tend to be and how little thoughts is put into the writing.When does an evil person think of themselves as evil? I mean, just look at how lame the evil choices in BioWare games are. They never actually expect anyone to pick them, they're just there so they can claim their shitty games have choices, and I imagine it holds true for most other games with choices. I wish for a game that had "evil" choices like the Pragmatic reincarnation in PST.

A really good mindfuck that only games can do is to let the player think of themselves as the good guy and keep doing so as they drift further and further into wrongdoing.

MGS2

But are you a bad guy?

I was just about to bring up when you were talking about that. Solidus was such an interesting character because he wasn't wrong but his actions to get there were… and even that was questionable.

It's always nice when you actually get somebody writing a story that realizes what you're talking about, but even in the most serious stories you often find the villains are pretty comical and exaggerated.

The choice: Play as a generic JRPG protagonist or play as this guy.

Victoria ends in 1933

Game?

a bad "guy"

Rondo of swords

All of the Drakengard games and Nier are obvious ones. I'd also recommend Soul Nomad and The World Eaters if you like playing as a ridiculously bad guy.

You can roleplay as a villain in any /gsg/.
I'm cleansing natives from the New World as Papal States as we speak.

Yeah, you can pick a liberal or communist nation.

I'm having trouble understanding how that is evil.

Where the fuck can I find a CK2 torrent that includes all DLC's that isn't from some dodgy website? I'm not handing Paradox all of my NEETbux.

gsg used to have an archive? Also you probably won't want all DLCs anyway, from what I heard the recent ones aren't great

Now that's what I call razor sharp.

How many DLCs are there?

But have you conquered all the important Holy cities? Mecca, Jerusalem, and Constantinople for example.

You can bring God to the godless heathens of the new world but have you done what Jesus would have wanted you to do?

MGS2

Okay.

All DLC combined come to about 260 eurocucks, and that's with a 15% discount for the bundle.

That's, amazing. There are people who will pay this much money for portraits and songs that should have been free updates. But my question was how many total? Like 40, 50?

is there cannibalism involved?

New Vegas. You can JUST the entire fucking Mojave if you're so inclined.

I mean, the list goes on. Pretty much every single chance you have to improve the wasteland or do something for someone you can either sabotage it, go the other way entirely or simply kill someone important and derail the whole thing.

OP is asking what games let you aka choice in the context of the game.

Castlevania Aria and Dawn of Sorrow both have a good bad ending.
But it's just the ending.

Is there friendly fire?

Baldurs Gate does this with Throne of Baal. Most criticism aimed at that is the execution since its KINDA sloppy. IMO the protagonist just snaps, if you let him, and just stops giving a fuck. Hes about to become the new god of fucking death, after all.

"Bad" and "Evil" are so fucking arbitrary, they don't mean shit, especially in video games where two decades ago you was encouraged to save beautiful women from evil niggers, but today you're encouraged to forfeit your masculinity because it's bigotry.

It's not a good game, but you are forced to become part of the bad guys, despite your protests, all logical reasoning, your actions contradicting their goals, etc. Fuck, it's amazing how bad Cerberus is written in ME. Is there a more retarded villainous group in gaming?

No doubt the irony of that self-twisted statement will never dawn on you.

Kane & Lynch games.

You don't mean games like GTA, or Hotline Miami?

post it

Victoria 2 is 1836-1936 so you can actually have both World Wars though it's rare for Germany to lose the first (Britain tends not to do that weird turnaround they did IRL and instead remains allied with Germany leaving Germany free to crush everyone on land while Britain locks down the waterways). Fascist Germany usually only happens if the player makes it happen.

Darkest Dungeon. You kinda stop caring about the characters and just burn through recruits to brute force through the RNG. I guess it symbolizes the dark spiral of obsession and stuff.

only if you consider rance a villain

god awful game, saged for even mentioning that piece of dogshit