To those who played Final Fantasy 7 at release

To those who played Final Fantasy 7 at release,

did it surprise you?

Final Fantasy made me gay.

Not really. I didn't like the game either. I especially don't like it now since I know Final Fantasy is extremely weak series in the JRPG genre, action and traditional.

Unless you were actively looking for spoilers, you wouldn't have found any. Internet was still slow enough. And I was still a dumb kid, so I never expected it.
I cried.

Did it make you furfag too?

Nope, but it came close.

I really thought I had done something horribly wrong and returned to an earlier save. It hit me right in the feels

no, because a shit magazine in my country decided to spoil the "surprise" in their review anyway

It pissed me off because Aeris was part of my main team

At least her materia can be reassigned

I was too young when it came out to give a shit. I'm 26 now so not underaged. Everyone ITT must be ~30.

It did but didn't affect me either.

Then again I was a pretty broken person during that time.

I was 2 years old.

What really surprised was when Cloud became a vegetable

I was glad she died.

It wasn't surprising. It was a plot twist.l but nothing ground breaking. That scene along with the rest of the game was plainly over hyped even back then.

As a kid, mind was blown.

How can pretty girl is kill?

I was pleased, not surprised, but back then good games were more of the standard. FF7 is really well rounded.I was more surprised that FF8 surpassed my expectations and was more enjoyable.

I played at release and was very surprised, and sad. Also she had best limits(like one that gave the other 2 people in party full limit) that no other character replicates.

I read later that Sakaguchi was inspired to put this scene in the game by the profound sadness he had over losing his mother. Right in the feels.

I played Phantasy Star IV first, and that had a much better death scene.

Also I have never played FF7 nor do I intend to.

It must be weird to only have a negative identity.

Yeah same here, she was a good healslut. I had to shoehorn mega melons into my healer afterwards but it was never the same without those healing limits.

That's why Red XIII exists.

Sorry, I don't speak nerd.

You also don't have firm sense of self.

Take your armchair psychology back to reddit, nerd.

Tits. Man. Tits.

You mean Aerith's death specifically or the game in general? Aerith's death was quite surprising. But it didn't give me an existential crisis or anything. The game in general was great because it was the first rpg I ever played with nice cutscenes and a fully 3D world.

Take your cocksucking back to your dad's room, fag.

Let me give it a shot now, you are projecting See? I can be Freud too!

Really got under your skin earlier, didn't I?

Why are you even posting in this thread? Troll elsewhere.

I can't stand faggots like you who see some shitposting as something serious and feel the need to diagnose everyone with their armchair psychology bullshit.

Suck a fat one

Your rage probably comes from a repressed fears about your penis BTW.

I don't remember

everybody did

she was OP AF that early in the game. The healing limits were very useful for keeping battles running when shit was getting grim. I think that was mostly intentional.

in span of a double-take, no. Initial instant? I screamed bloody murder because she was my best healer and had all my fucking cure materia AND a ribbon.

And then Disc 2 started and it was back so I moved on.

I'm the opposite. I played it after FF7, and…yeah, you're right. Entirely right. I wasn't expecting that at all and it hit like a truck in a shoujo romance.

I thought it was a pseudo death at first, like how in Chrono Trigger Crono dies but you can go back in time to resurrect him and I thought that there'd be a side quest to do something to get her back. When I realized that this wasn't the case, I just shrugged it off. Looking back on it, the death scene just comes out of fucking nowhere. The entire game felt like a bizarre fever dream that made no sense in the first place, and so during practically every scene I found myself saying, "what the fuck is this shit."

Since I felt that nothing made sense, none of the game's story scenes made any sort of emotional impact on me whatsoever. At least FFVI made sense.

I was rushing through the main quest line because I wanted to see what was outside the city, so I hadn't particularly become attached to her nor given her much gear. I think my only response at the time was "Well, that was kind of a dick move".

No but to be completely honest her presence in the plot up to that point was so minimal that I just didn't care. If anything I was more upset that I had lost my healer. When I saw the internet reaction later I was very confused wondering why so many people cared about her.

Aerisdies is still online.

But did you play it at release?

The Playstation Classics edition or whatever it was called but I didn't have internet at the time anyway so it was all new to me.

Kinda this for me. My main team was always Barret and Tifa anyway, for some reason. I literally never took them off my team unless the game required it. I'm in my early thirties, too, so I'd already played all the classic SNES rpgs, and most of the big names had already had meaningful deaths and party member deaths.

Final Fantasy 6 already gave me all the feels because of Cid and Leo. Chrono Trigger already gave me the shock because main character. Illusion of Gaia already gave me the sinking feeling of utter hopelessness and grief because Hamlet.

Everyone jerks off to how sad Aerith's death was, but it got nothing out of me. Why don't people every talk about the Cosmo Canyon scene?

Yeah, I'd say I was surprised, and irritated.

Fuck, almost every story in the past ten years where someone goes to the fantasy world is killed by Truck-san. Well, one guy got killed by a vending machine that fell off of a truck, and reincarnated in the fantasy world AS a vending machine.

I was pretty young, so I don't particularly remember it that well, but I'd imagine it probably upset me.
Though, for me with FF5
Galuf's death really got me. Since he was pretty much in the party the entire game, and he went out like a badass. I had him classed as a samurai so it was extra effective.

The worst is he isn't dead, because he's crying.

I played it at release. It pissed me off. It was transparently attempting to be edgy, like Genesis "look what Nintendon't" edgy, the drawn backgrounds lost the charm of FF6 and reminded me of a lot of PC shovelware that did similar to save effort, and cutscenes rather than in-game storytelling seemed like a step backwards. It also dragged on forever and I eventually stopped caring somewhere around the part with the reactor and didn't come back to it.

I had it spoiled for me on one of those janky 90s angelfire fan sites with the spinning gifs and shit. Wew.

I'd just come off playing suikoden 1, so by that point it was less surprising than had I played it first.

I'd never really used her and got stuck in that fucking temple of the ancients for a long time before hand so I didn't feel very emotionally attached compared to Gremio and Pahn (who I didn't realise you could save the first time through).

Side note to this, because I was a retarded kid I played through the entirety of suikoden (save the last boss) without realizing that you had to equip armor etc. after you put it in someones inventory so I spent the entire game with no armor on anyone.

The only reason I realized is because I lent the game to my cousin, who told me I was retarded when I asked him to show me how he beat the final boss and he realized I was running around without anything equipped.

At least I have an excuse for now realizing you could win that fucking fight with Pahn v Teo, even if that excuse is "I was a retarded child"

No, but it did affect me quite a bit. My dad died right before I got to that part, and the atmosphere of the game, right after she died, felt exactly like what I was going through IRL.
/blogpost

I remember one of our friends in high school (was a sophomore at the time) was shocked and got really depressed that she died, stopped playing the game and couldn't believe that the rest of us didn't care, like there was something wrong with us.

I didn't really give a shit.

It pissed me off that I lost a healing character, also I think she took the armor to the grave.

No, because i played phantasy star 4 years before it.
They don't call FF7 babies first jrpg for nothing.

Cool story time.

I replay FF5 regularly, that scene and the ending get me every time.

That one is inexcusable, because Softs straight up exist.

honestly this is the part I remember most from the game

Neat. All I got for getting straight As was more work from the same textbooks.

I had more feels from Red XIII's story

That's mostly FF8. FF7's are all 10-15 seconds long. In most modern RPGs, normal skills last that long.

Except B.0 and KoTR of course.

I heard people cried about it etc. But the dialog and story about Aeris up until that point in the game is so weak that there's no emotional connection. My party was Cloud Barret Tifa so her death meant nothing anyway.

I know that scene gave me far more feels.

Also Wedge and gang dying under the collapsing sector and Barret confronting Dyne were amazing moments too.

World map is 3D though.

No, I didn't much care that a bitchy used-goods prostitute who I hadn't even leveled died. Vincent getting cucked was pretty sad, though.

Are you retarded? ShinRa was watching her 24/7, so much that she is on a first name basis with them. They pay for her mom's house.

Why was she selling flowers then?

Because they don't grow in the slums, and their rarity drives the price up, making it a lucrative venture. Money she reinvested in agricultural products and hiring bodyguards. Though I have to question her business sense for not retaining a few distribution couriers. She was an entrepreneur, not a prostitute. Sephiroth symbolizes the regulations killing small business.

He is Jewish, after all.

A bodyguard she persuaded through an offer of compensated dating. Poor business ethics, Sephiroth did nothing wrong.

Wasn't she only selling them for one gil?

In a way, since Shin-Ra is the globe's only mega-corp, by taking over the world and becoming god, he was only staging a hostile takeover. Given his plan was to to conquer and absorb other planets, he was only trying to expand the market, which would have increased the aggregate lifestream's GDP significantly. Hell, in light of this, Sephiroth is almost an altruist.

Yeah but they grew their automatically because it was a lifestream node. Didn't cost her a cent.

What an amazing moment that must have been to see for the first time. I honestly can't remember how I felt the first time I saw it, but the game over for Chrono Trigger was some good nightmare fuel.

Also, Aeris was forcibly stuck in my party a long ass time because I stumbled on Yuffie's village sidequest just before doing that one mission.
I was so sick of seeing her in my party that I was kind of glad she was gone.

Only to Cloud. One of the guys outside the Honeybee Inn was complaining about the high price.

That was a discount because she liked the cut of Cloud's jib. She charged other men more.

I had one guy gotten kill by a steel beam after being a COMPLETE WASTE OF HUMAN POTENTIAL.

Another faggot drown, oh and last one gotten stabbed protecting his friend.

Other than that, Truck-kun shows up everywhere.

You mean Sephiroth symbolizes the freedom killing small business.

Do you think that means Yoshikage was sent to a fantasy world to have adventures?

Vincent was actually a well designed character (outside of that useless glove thing he wears)

He also functions as a replacement for Aeris since he makes a fair healslut.

unironically yes

there's a reason it was such a big deal at the time and Aerithdies became a meme

but most importantly

I actually first played it about 7 years ago.
I missed all the spoilers so I did not know she would die, and not only did it take me by surprise, I think it also almost made me cry.

She was a cute girl in a dress who did a good job healing everyone. How could I not like her?

Nah, i didn't like to use her because her physical damage was complete shit, and the early game spells weren't good either. Not to mention the limited mana early game, and ethers are too expensive to grind her stats up. Aerith is an all around pain in my ass, and i fucking hate the sections where i'm forced to use her.

Am I on reddit? Feels like it. We've all played the game now fuck off.

step up senpai

Sue me.

Serves you right for getting attached to the worst girl.

Someone didn't read the novels. Unironically yes.

Everyone knows Cloud is the best girl.

Holy shit, that's funnier than Eneru actually reaching the moon.

Guess I'm not waiting for the Venturo anime then.

Also Kars cucks him out of Killer Queen, because he remembers that he can do that now.

Cloud x Tifa or Cloud x Aerith?

One dies, the other you can fuck. There's a correct answer here…

Only a faggot would not choose both at the same time.

it was a suprise for me.

Get on my level pleb

I haven't

The back of the box, at least in europe, had a screenshot of the FMV where cloud dumps her body in the water, so my rection was 'oh ok'.

Aeris was a flirty manipulative tease who is attracted to you because of a resemblance to a past lover. Tifa was the more compassionate love interest between the two.

Elena best.

He becomes an amnesiac ghost yes.

Oh come on, Barret isn't even a girl.

When you're a kid who's coming off the back of SNES pre-rendered 3D is no different from the real thing and a whole lot better looking, plus, Square did a great job getting the FMV's to transition seamlessly into gameplay, sometime you would be playing on top of an FMV. Sure it looks dated now, but being a kid playing on an 11 inch Daewoo CRT who'd only ever played sprite games before, that shit blew my mind.

WOW user YOU DON'T KNOW HOW XE IDENTIFIES

BARRET ISN'T GATTLING GUN SEXUAL YOU FREAK, HE DOESN'T IDENTIFY AS A TURRET

Cloud is best girl though and she needs the BBC

It depends on who's localising the remake now, doesn't it.

Fucking modern gaming man.

All Yuffie has going for her is her body. Even then, I wouldn't put it past Yuffie to spread her legs for materia.

LOL! I bet you don't even know where she put the stolen materia

Don't besmirch pure Yuffie with your lies.

She probably has a fleshlight or something in that dark tent and tricks people with it, because sex for materia isn't stealing.

How would that work? You'd still be able to tell her general position wasn't directly on your dick. Sex for materia wouldn't give her the moral high ground over the flower slut. She does steal the party's materia.

Maybe she puts the fleshlight inside her, so their dicks still go in, but she's not really having sex. That way, she's still pure.

Or she just ties them up, pretending it's some s&m play, and then steals their materia without doing anything.

That means the dick is still inside her. That's like saying a girl is still pure because you were wearing a condom.

And has a monstrous gaping vagina; do you have any idea how big a fleshlight is?

Did you even play the fucking game user?

Exactly. If she ever tells you to remove the condom, then you know she's the one.

No.
Get a small one.

This seriously left an impression on me but I was like 10.

Yeah, the one fishing for child support to pay for her materia addiction.

Are you suggesting Yuffie has an ulterior motive?

I'm not suggesting she has an ulterior motive. She outright tells you what she's after.

No

Her death was a poorly done plot device

Yuffie wants to bear my child? I don't know what to say.

State in definite and concrete terms exactly what you mean by that.

Yes, he's an Assassin for a Monk, well He did.

He still wants a normal life but he doesn't remember what he done but all he knows is that is not allow to go to heaven

I'm pretty sure that scene was also in the commercial as well. The death still surprised me though, since I was in awe of the commercial and didn't really analyze it or anything.

Surprise? Yes. Certainly didn't get me emotional. FF6 handled the emotional scenes far better anyways.

I played it about 4 years after release on the PS2 because backwards compatibility.

I knew about it because people talked about it often.

Still surprised me.
Still hurt.
You in many ways "save the princess" only to have her die a ways down the line.

There isn't enough good Red XIII art

When do those tiddies decide the fate of the shitty remake?

You say "I swear she said 18 your honor".

Red XIII is the best. He and Tifa were my primary party throughout the whole game, only switched out when the game demanded it.
There's nothing better than going on an adventure with your sword, your girl, and your dog.
And yes, the scene with Seto is far more emotional than the flower girl getting run through by Edgelord McOedipusComplex.

Heh.

They're gonna at least go with the toned-down AC style of Tifa, and nothing close to the original proportions. And even if they do have her in her original outfit (if it's released at all it will be DLC, you fucking watch) they will change the short skirt in to shorts.
SE is cancer.

Age of consent laws can still fuck you if she's a minor and you aren't. You're playing with fire.

The death of Aeris hardly comes as a surprise, she detaches from the party and starts acting weird for at least an hour before that. What is unexpected, is that she never comes back. I beat the game fully convinced that she would get resurrected by some nature energy mumbo jumbo. So you could say some surprise element is there, only belated.

Also, the game ships Tifa and Cloud pretty heavily and Aeris always looks like a slightly mental delicate flower type. Maybe you don't absolutely expect her to die, but she was definitely the best candidate to.

FF7 was a great step forward from the SNES era, it definitely felt like something had changed. Surprise is a relative concept, where fucking everything is being tried and seen for the first time in history. I was pretty much astonished at some of the camera work, that's for sure, like when Cloud walks around in the burning city after bombing the reactor. You're walking over an animated background with a warped overhead perspective, it's a masterful moment that you wouldn't have expected from a miserable toy like a vidyagem.

Square continued to use this all through the PSX era, with the FF9's being the crown jewel.

Not really. The game mechanics pretty much tell you she wasn't going to last long. If you're like when, you explore every level before you go and you can tell she levels up much faster than the rest of your party. This would mean that she either dies or leaves your party for good at a certain point. if this was your first time playing the game.

Nope. I can't say that "bad guy does a bad thing" has ever surprised me, except maybe the first time I was introduced to the concept when I was two years old or some shit.

That's because Cloud beats the fucking shit out of her.

Kind of, but after the previous three games, I knew someone was going to die - I just didn't know who.

I was a freshmen in high school when this game came out, and a few friends from anime club all picked it up. Study hall at the end of the day was us sperging out about the game. Then when that happened, we all reacted in different ways.

I knew someone was going to die. So when it was her, the shoe finally dropped. They built up the perfect waifu angle pretty hard. I was happy that it wasn't Tifa, but I felt inconvenienced because Squaresoft knowingly put in a crutch character who was going to get killed off.

Another friend was upset over it, and he couldn't get over it. So he basically lived on Gamefaqs and rat.org's forum looking for GameShark codes so he could finish the game. I told him that she comes back to life at the end. I lied. It was the only way I knew he'd finish the game afterwards.

After school, we recorded the playthrough of the last hour on the TV's VCR hookup, and recorded the ending. Overall, shit was pretty sweet.

Sorry for the blog, bros. I forgot all about this until just now, so had to reminisce a bit.

And today we learned why games need the NG+ harem route.

Maybe it's because I was a stupid 10 year old when I played it, but the scene didn't make a lot of sense. One minute you're saving the world, and then you go to some place, like the many other places you already been to, a cutscene starts, and suddenly Aeris is praying for some reason.. and then she's dead. Ignoring phoenix downs and white magic and all that, the scene is supposed to have something to do with her imparting the special materia she's had this whole time, but never once mentioned, nor was it implied she had it or that you needed it…

I've heard that part-way through production, the leader Dev or director or whatever had his mother die, and that's why there's this huge shift in tone where the game just kind of goes off the rails. I get the feeling this scene was meant to be set up in some other way, or perhaps it was meant to play differently (hence Aeris having a final limit break like every other character, but you can only get it for a short while by sperg-grinding) but the director was so emotionally unstable that he decided she had to be killed, despite not really being so important as to feel like a meaningful or heart-breaking death. If anything, it felt like all the classic FF games where they just randomly split the party or take away a character for a while.

This is an idiotic interpretation.

Do you even meme user?

Sorry guy but your waifu has already been claimed by the 2nd edgiest character.

Ah, I read that one, the guy becomes slime that gets op super fast then the story gets boring.

Should I play FF7 if I haven't played it before? I feel that everyone and my grandmother has played this game and that's sort of offputing, like i'm that retard left-behind who isn't a part of the cool kids club and that game is everyone's bitch but me, i'm autistic like that.

was 15 years old when it came out
it made sad
it made me cry like a little baby
it made me angry

Sure, just don't look up any glitches. It'll completely ruin it if you're conscious of how fundamentally broken the game is.

Play FF4 through FF9, in order. I think it's the better way to appreciate the series.

This tbh

She was originally going to die later in the game. There's leftover dialogue for Aeris after snowboarding and other later places, and if you cheat her in to your party, it activates. If she stuck around for longer, then people might've realistically gotten her final limit break.

If the shorts are similar to Cidney's I'd almost be tempted to say it's an improvement

Fuck nips' bullshit translation.

That feel when nobody who didn't live through it could possibly understand. Prior to Final Fantasy VII, 99% of JRPGs were semi-top-down 2D pixel games. Wild Arms came out like a month before FFVII, for context.

I remember seeing the commercials on TV and thinking to myself "no fucking way! I need this, I so fucking need this". I love Chrono Trigger and the SNES Final Fantasy entries and whatnot, but holy shit seeing those adds on TV and finally playing the game was un-fucking-real. Sure the game was so-so from a gameplay/story perspective, but it was the Akira of video games.

No doubt. My first Final Fantasy was the first one on the NES, and I loved the shit out of it. But for people who grew up on NES or SNES, FFVII was something else. There's a strong argument to be made for FFVII winning the console war for Sony during that generation. I know the entire reason I got a PSX instead of an N64 is because I was forced to choose between Final Fantasy and Zelda, and Final Fantasy won.

SNES was an amazing time for JRPGs, an incredible time that gave us timeless classics and seemed to cement Nintendo as THE system to support for fans of the genre. Then, in one single generation, Sony hijacked all of that and created an immense library of top-quality JRPGs to rival, and even surpass, many if not most of the titles that appeared on the SNES. This was all because of FFVII.

When that climactic scene came up, there was a part of it where you were put in control of Cloud and were supposed to walk towards Aeris "against your will" while you pushed the right buttons to move torwards her, but I found out that you could make Cloud dance around like an idiot in the midst of Climactic Scene Music and Climactic Scene surroundings and I belly laughed through The Climactic Scene.

Yea, it really didn't seem like something that could happen, and I was disappointed I lost a very useful character. She's also just about the only party member in that game that fits the straight-up magic user archetype.

It really was. Seeing a game that I rented on the NES because I thought that the cover was cool creating a series that would culminate to create FF7 was really cool. The graphics for the game look goofy now, but at the time it was a huge step forward, and the game itself is really fucking fun.

In the Cloud vs Sephiroth duel at the end of the game, if you don't do anything and let yourself die, it's a game over.

kek

Fuck you she was one of my main characters and had great materias.
Fuck you Sephiroth and fuck you Clad for just dumping her body you goddamn retard.

I dumped Aerith out of my party as soon as possible. Her niceness gave me the creepy creeps, amd she seemed on pancake short of a stack the whole time.

Seto's scene was far more moving (but yeah, seriously, get a nigger a soft). Rven the Cait Sith death scene ranks above Aerith. I think that's the only death I cried for in that game. And then you're out of the temple and Cid is smoking a fag waiting for your slow ass to climb out of the ruined pit.

It sure as hell looked 3D to me, back in 1997 or whenever that was, on my old shitty TV. It was absolutely amazing back then. Like mentioned, I grew up playing NES and SNES games. I don't think I even got a PS1 until late in 1996, but I was eagerly awaiting FFVII. Since I had loved the shit out of FF2 and FF3 on SNES. And most of the other great jrpgs on SNES.

yeah and it scared the crap out of me. the idea that a party member could just get assassinated out of the blue like that. why didnt he kill the rest of my party too? why cant i use a phoenix down on this girl and who is going to do my healing now?

Yeah, I never saw it coming. I was like, "holy shit!". It was the awesomeist thing ever.

Even DKC was advertised as "3D" was prerendered 2D graphics.

Even my retarded ex-convict cousin played through it. He named Aerith TRAILERHO.