Am I playing this wrong or is it just not as good as the first?

Am I playing this wrong or is it just not as good as the first?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bQ81TJIT!a8mVPBHWo6F1bJVszqw-3KosAEkrmJ2Mranez2xWtWQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Too many enemies with guns forcing you to use guns just to beat most of the damn levels, makes it harder to chain combos.

I enjoyed it more than the first one.

Not as good.

5/10 at best, totally misses the point and besides Roller Mobster the music is also significantly worse than the original.

Seems like a fucking hotline miami but with good music unless you're

Abysmal level design. That's really it, I think.

It's a massive downgrade. They didn't take the gameplay into account when designing the levels and the result is a game that is simply unenjoyable to play. It's one of those games that has so bad level design that people who don't usually consciously notice level design can tell that that's the problem.

the level design wasn't that bad, come on, right?
fucking hell, it was

Did someone say GLASS?

Edge of Tomorrow: The Franchise Video Game

The last time I played the Linux version: playing as Tony, especially, is a nightmare because there's one enemy behavior that reeks of bad programming. There are gun-toting stationary enemies that will not chase after you when you dip into doorways to draw their fire. Instead, they will look around like "huh? Where'd he go?". This forces you to get the goon to unload his entire magazine before you can approach him.

And the fact that Beard does not retrieve an adequate amount of ammo from crates on normal mode tells me that, if it was a bug, it's now a feature.

It is not as good as the original.
It's not a bad game per se, it's just not fucking fantastic like the original.
I wouldn't actively avoid playing through it assuming completing hard mode doesn't count as a playthrough, but it just doesn't have the magic the first one did.

The difficulty of 2 is a lot cheaper than 1. In the first game, as long as you memorized the layout, you knew exactly what to do and you'd win every time. In 2, everything pokes out of every corner and many things are randomized. You spend so much time running and baiting that when a level ends, you feel beat-down and exhausted rather than satisfied.

The plotline is also far more bleak and depressing. The ending of the first game was bittersweet, but ultimately satisfying. The ending to the second game is, to avoid spoilers, absolutely fucking miserable.

The maudlin plotline and the exhausting gameplay kind of come together to make an experience that leaves you feeling like shit once it's all over.

I know I'm hard on the game, it had it's moments and it feels really rewarding to finally beat, but only in the same way it feels good to finally pull out a splinter.

5/10

It's not as good as the first, the lack of masks was a bad move plus the maps are to fucking big and open with to many windows with enemies that can see you well out of your sight range.

It's not as good.

For me, the worst part of HM2's plot is that it retroactively ruins the atmosphere and mystique of the first game. Part of the game's aesthetic was that nothing that was happening around you is ever explained nor elaborated on; nothing made sense, and it made you feel just as schizophrenic as Jacket most likely was. Now after HM2, you know exactly what's going on, and it just doesn't feel the same.

this, exactly. HM2 was WAY too story-oriented. It wasn't a game, it was a goddamn book.
It totally detracts from the magic the first one had.

captcha: Hm bods
??

its worse in the first one in every way except for the soundtrack.

Dont forget the on release glitch that made enemies invincible whenever they got close to a door.

To be fair, another reason why I disliked it is because I developed a bit too much head-canon for the first game. I would have preferred it if Jacket had no motivations for joining 50 Blessing other than he was desperate for some cash, and that it was the death of the hooker that made it personal.

I would say that the music is the single thing in which the second game is way suprerior to the first.

The first game has the best tracks of the series, but the second game has more good tracks overall.

Too many windows, too many guns, it's good but not as good as the first one.
I like the OST and memes better though

Since we're talking about setting and plot here, another thing that HM2 worsened for me was Jacket's character. The first game made Jacket look like a fucking badass going out clearing entire buildings of Russian mobsters all alone while the other masks kept getting caught and killed. Biker was also really cool.
In the second game they went "EVERYONE CAN GO OUT KILLING DOZENS OF RUSSIAN MOBSTERS WITH BARELY ANY EFFORT I GUESS", I thought they had occupied the US, not that they're sending retards with guns to occupy buildings. Also you played as so many characters that in the end you don't really care about any of them. Except Beard and the son

Yea, I was going to mention that as well. Another thing was that Jacket's killing spree in HM1 felt like a completely isolated event, almost as if he was John Wick but during the late 80's. Turns out, he was leading America's fucking homefront during WWIII.

Yeah, but the second one's were too electric IMO, made me miss Sun Araw's tracks.

What I wrote in a review for the game, I didn't like it as much as the first one, either.

This is the only song from the second game that I would consider dubstep. The rest of it was definitely synth, though definitely not the same mood as the first game's music.

Nigger I hope you're just baiting

Everything about it is worse.
It feels like a fanfic, but it's made by the same people.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I hated that one pacifist level, think it was episode 2 after the court hearing part. It was so goddamn frustrating with how long your "executions" took, and the fact you couldn't kill anyone.

Writer's executions are actually among the shortest because you can right click out of them immediately after the impact.

I found the "pacifist" ones to be the most fun. Having the choice of when to sperg the fuck out was fun, and even if you haven't went murder mode Evan has the quickest executions when you're wielding a weapon. Unloading firearms to keep the combos going was pretty fun too.

But those were the best stages.

Not as good. The enemies being able to shoot you instantly from offscreen makes it a "not fun, extremely aggravating" experience.

Making it worse is that there's no way to differentiate the things you can shoot through/over or not. You can't tell if that thing right there is something your bullets will pass through or over it, or if it's a solid obstacle, and whether it will block sight or not. They did absolutely awful jobs creating the environments.

I loved the first one and almost 100%ed it. The second one, I played the first couple levels and instantly knew it was going to be a headache. Thankfully, I didn't buy it.

So you didn't finish the second game?

It was my way of saying it was too heavy, and that I liked the calmer parts music of HM1 more. Jasper Byrne - Miami was my favorite track in 1.

Skrillex is not dubstep. Proper dubstep isn't really that heavy, not as heavy as the music in HM2 at least.

I haven't listened to the genre since it first got popular with Skrillex so the genre has probably seen some shifts, all the electronic I listen to is demoscene music.

No, and I have no intention to. The first couple levels told me all I needed to know about the gameplay and the level design, which were far too lacking in their respective departments to make the game fun.

Reading the thread I'm seeing sentiments from people that did finish the game that echo precisely what I thought, so I was right.

So you are a faggot talking out of his ass? Gotcha.

The genre hasn't really shifted, it's more just that nobody really know what it is anymore. Dubstep was really just a mixture of UK drum n' bass and garage. Skrillex's music is more related to electro house. It doesn't really matter at this point, and I do agree with you on HM's soundtracks, I just tend to get kinda autistic about this stuff.

So you're a butthurt faggot running damage control because his taste his shit and he can't identify inferior games? Gotcha.

OP asked a question and the objective answer is that the first is better. Trying to argue otherwise is like saying water is dry. Stay mad son :^)

I stand corrected, too bad I never actually got to doing that.

It still hurts.

Level design is shit and weird AI quirks make quite a lot of deaths feel less like your fault and more just the fault of the game. The first was better.

It's not a wise thing to do if you're aiming for a high-score though, since entering rage mode halves the points you receive.

user is not wrong, that game had a very decent soundtrack.

Dust is comfy as fuck, feel like floating away when listening to it

I initially had similar feelings to most people in the thread, but on replays once you've gotten good and have a better handle on what the game's gonna throw at you it's a lot more fun.

The amount of times I was killed by offscreen bullshit increased by 400% from the first game. I thought I was just playing like shit and losing my touch, but I took a hard look at the maps and I realized how open areas are in 2. There are lots of aesthetic improvements from the first and I appreciate the attempt to mix up the gameplay, but I just couldn't finish it because it was frustrating and spawns aren't consistent enough to memorize.

While the music was great and I personally appreciated the story, the way the levels played out honestly felt like some kind of a shitty romhack of the first game

Well Vanilla levels is pure dogshit and doesn't even came close to the original's
But with custom levels, it is way waaay fucking better. That is if you don't pirate it and most of them came from reddit

I wonder did dev-kun go? His game probably won't be finished though and will just be his pipe dream

this

the camera is fucking trash in this one, makes it absolutely unplayable tbh

/thread

I bet you also believe you need to make marxism your sole study in life, to criticize it. HM2 doesn't even come close to the popularity of the first one, because most felt the first levels were shitty gunjobs and dropped it.

Yeah, it turns the neat lack of story into a clusterfuck and laughs at you for buying into any of the story despite the fact that they clearly wanted you to in the first place.

I like to think of HLM1 as looking through the lens of PTSD. Seeing dead people, seeming to float through experiences, and retroactively justifying events are all dead on pieces of PTSD. Despite not explaining anything, my headcanon was kind of salvaged by that and assuming that jacket actually knew about 50B the whole time, willingly taking part in the slaughter as a way to keep fighting. He's an actual patriot, not a nihilist, which is why he didn't kill Richter when given the chance, he was a comrade.

The mods more than make up for the generally bad story mode, Miami Holocaust is fucking amazing and about as long as the story mode with a better plot and actual masks. Workshop mods like that really take advantage of the gameplay upgrades without being tedious grinds through deaths that aren't the player's fault. Literally the only reason I bought it on (((steam))) was for the workshop and I wasn't disappointed, course it was also only 5 bucks.

It's harder than the first one, almost like it's a natural progression from claustrophobic simpler ez melee range stages to a bigger more complex ones. The reasons why it might be more frustrating and thus less enjoyable, is that for fullcombo you are required to know everyone's routes and plan accordingly, which is a bit hard with such big stages that also have some randomizations to them(not too big though), or, If you are not fullcomboing and going a coward route, then you are pretty much forced into playing a peekaboo game constantly unlike the 1st game where you could just mash people on adrenaline when something goes out of hand. So basically, if you find yourself outraged by the game, it's likely that you are just bad and can't accept it.

It's not just you. This one really isn't as good as the original

this picture triggers my PTSD

The whole point of Hotline Miami was "recklessness is rewarded". The game not only allowed you but encouraged you to improvise when your plan went wrong. A good player would be able to to complete a level he hasn't played before with only a few deaths. Hotline Miami 2 is just Osu with guns; it's not hard, it's just tedious.

What happened to Pedro posting?

Manny cant let the cunning Miami Mutilator know he's onto him.

Shall I commence storytiming a Hotline Miami Wildlife comic?

The first one has tighter level design and much more variety than the second. I got so bored during the second that I just quit halfway through. It was pretty disappointing.

Get out of here Satan.

Yes please

At first I preferred 1 to 2, but now the levels in 1 just feel too short. The first time I played through 2 it was a grinding slog that drove me insane, but by the time I beat the game I had the layouts burned into my memory and so I don't have a problem with offscreen death bullshit anymore. About the only problem that I run into is dogs somethings getting stuck somewhere.

The only people who need more ammo as Beard are people who still need to git gud

I liked everything about it except for the level design.

And done

That was pretty good, thank you user.

Mind listing off the better mods so I can see if they are available elsewhere for the GOG version?

Also, seconding the thanks

Here's a collection of various campaigns and levels from the steam workshop I made for an older HM thread.
mega.nz/#!bQ81TJIT!a8mVPBHWo6F1bJVszqw-3KosAEkrmJ2Mranez2xWtWQ

Awesome, thank you very much. Guess I'll reinstall the game and give it another go.

I wouldn't suppose you have a DRM free version of the level editor?

I think it's better than the first one tbh.

scratch that, I didn't realize both games were five bucks right now. Might as well actually buy them considering the first is one of the few newer games that kept me until the end.

I do not, sorry.

Isn't it almost exactly the same shit? Literally just a map pack for the first game.

If you do, be sure to hop on the Workshop and browse through levels and campaigns.

Most of what you are saying for hlm1 applies to hlm2. Aside from your subjective opinion(which is partially wrong, since there is at least a hardmode that is definitely hard), the only valid difference is that hlm2 is more about the gunplay which as I've said sounds to me like a natural progression from what hlm1 had.

Go back to reading Dark Souls fan theories.
Yeah nah I hated this as well. They did to Jacket what James Cameron did to the Xenomorph in Aliens.

A more accurate analogy would be what James Cameron did to the Engineers/xenos in Prometheus and Covenant.

James Cameron turned Ridley Scott's unstoppable killing machine into a Zerg. What Ridley Scott did to the Alien series post-Alien is of no relevance to me, there has only been one Alien film in my headcanon for the last 30 years.

To play devil's advocate that's just how they act. Having the skill to take out 16 some buildings worth of armed thugs isn't comparable to a big bug following its primal instinct but I get your analogy.

SNIPER FROM OFF SCREEN

Are you attempting to upset me currently, user?

why is biker smoking with his visor up?

where do I want to paste this stuff?

documents/My Games/HotlineMiami2/levels

got it. Had to create a "single" and "campaigns" folder but it's working now.

I'm pretty darn happy right now.

Yea, there still managed to be some real good stuff even after the hype for the level editor drained from the wait.