jbikker.github.io/fasttrack.html
ritetag.com/best-hashtags-for/gamedev
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter
youtube.com/watch?v=PlCXlP-tlQQ
patents.stackexchange.com/questions/16344/video-game-mechanics-patentable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Corp._v._CLS_Bank_International
vimeo.com/album/2045605/video/47697010
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buildings now take damage if the village culture drops lower than the required for the building or if the level of infrastructure drops and the building limit becomes lower than the number of buildings
6 damage hits = automatically demolished
Buildings are repaired over time if culture and infrastructure are maxed or if the player uses the Shed special ability

I cant even fit this function on my screen anymore, and its still not done…

I'm going to have to split gfx_vulkan_main.c into gfx_vulkan_main.c and gfx_vulkan_res.c just so that it doesn't go too far over 1000 lines

where is that code from?

I'm guessing Yandere Simulator.

No idea, i saved it months ago from another thread

i don't think so, it has booleans called "sword, shield, hollow and magic"

I've never actually used this, you know you're not supposed to use this? why are you using this?

Making a princess simulator in defold
pretty good engine editor 2 version is really nice way better than unity for 2d

Why aren't you meant to use it?

posting on new bread

i love royal girls doing royal things, tell me more

Its perfectly fine to use. goto is great for handling errors.
I'll write an example:

bool foo(...){ if(!create_thing_1(...)){ goto error_1; } if(!create_thing_2(...)){ goto error_2; } if(!create_thing_3(...)){ goto error_3; } return true;error_3: destroy_thing_2(...);error_2: destroy_thing_1(...);error_1: return false;}

You can see that going to error_3 will call both "destroy thing 2" and "destroy thing 1", while going to error_2 will only call "destroy_thing_1()" so being able to jump to an arbitrary place in the cleanup code, and having it in the same function, is pretty valuable.

Don't just give the answer away. Get them to work through it themselves.

I see what you had in mind, sorry for spoiling it for you

There is this older game called princess maker about raising a princess
making a game like that except much more wholesome and less harlots

Why not use a try/catch/finally block?

because this is C, and there is no try/catch/finally block

I guess that even in a language like C# or whatever, itd also be slower too

It better allow for cute lazy types

C doesn't have try/catch/finally. This still doesn't solve the issue though, since depending on how far you get into your nested sections changes what sort of cleanup you need to do. Consider >>12596147's example. If you did a try on create_thing_1, then your catch would be return false. Then you'd need another try/catch on create_thing2 that has to do destroy_thing_1 and return false. Then a third try/catch on create_thing_3 that has to do both destroy_thing_2, destroy_thing_1, and return false. By structuring the code so that the innermost error handling block "falls through" to the outer blocks you only have to write things once.

Fucked up the link, 's example. Also people who say not to use goto should stop using if/for/while/etc since they're just fancy goto's.

I mean, if its all contained in the same function, it probably gets optimized into a jmp instruction

I've never used try/catch/finally and I don't have a "mature" view on their capabilities, so I don't actually know how to rewrite my example using it. I mean, I used try/catch when writing java, but I only wrote in java for a class at school, and I never actually handled the errors .

pffft that was part of the fun. But also good luck, we need more games like princess maker.

I dont usually do bounds checks, for example if the array expects me to check my bounds, then i can defer the function's responsility up to the client code. Even so, i try to write code that doesn't raise exceptions.

You generally use it within functions that can fail, like opening a db connection or writing to a file. The program only fucks up if theres an unhandled exception (so you could prepare a handler for say DatabaseFailedToConnectException or whatever).

Unwinding the call stack is the part of handling that causes the most overhead and im not sure which part causes that to happen

Unwinding happens when the exception happens, so provided no exception occurs then there's no overhead to a try/catch. The exception to this is if you use a REALLY old compiler that uses SJLJ exception handling rather than Windows SEH or GCCs DWARF-2. You can still use SJLJ with a modern version of GCC (MinGW-w64's webinstaller has it for both 32 and 64 bit versions) but there's not much of a reason to do it.

Exception handling won't increase execution time but will increase code size due to needing unwind tables.

Oh yeah, exceptions are non-local jumps.

Actually, I have an instance in my program where I use non-local jumps in the same fashion.
In this block:

if(gfx->flags & GFX_USE_VULKAN){ jmp_buf jump = {0}; uint32_t error = setjmp(jump); if(error != vkr_no_error){ sys_warning("An error occured while trying to initalize vulkan. Sigma 2 will now try to use openGL instead."); vkr_shutdown(gfx,error); gfx->flags = GFX_USE_OPENGL; } else{ vkr_init(gfx,sys,jump); } }

When I call vkr_init, it calls a ton of other functions that are creating all of the things needed for vulkan to start up. However, there are ~10 functions and they are all part of the same "spin-up" cycle. So, I have this kind of thing for every error:

if(res != VK_SUCCESS){ longjmp(jump,vkr_error_pipeline); }

The error codes are then used in a massive switch statement, which allows me to jump into the correct section of the cleanup code (since the full cleanup code would try to destroy things that don't exist)

I would expect the overhead of jmp_buf to be equivalent to a try/catch, although maybe a C++ (or whatever) compiler will optimize this down?

Yanderedev doesn't (or at least didn't) know how to use switch cases, he uses nested if-else trees.

Congratulations OP, you made me mad on levels I didn't think even existed

Well, I did it. I just like made game. I'm on steam and everything. Decent reviews and sales have been okay. Childhood dream achieved, I can say I'm a game developer now. But I'm not happy. I don't understand why. I spent all this time working to fulfill my dreams and it feels like it was all for nothing.

How did you handle marketing, goy?

What's your game?

It's because you're done and don't have anything else to do right now.
Make game 2.

I don't know what to feel.

Shilled in the usual places, leddit, twatter, facebook groups etc. Set up a twitter account for the game itself, used tweetdeck to line up about fifty tweets with hashtags the bots retweet the most. Cross-referenced peak twitter usage times and peak hashtag usage and scheduled the tweets from tweetdeck to send out during those times, and let the bots handle the rest. Also sent keys to a couple of autists on youtube so they could screech at a webcam for ten minutes with some gameplay in the background. Didn't bother with the gaming news sites, they're too busy covering trump-punching gender dysphoria simulator 2017 to give me the time of day.

That got about 2,000 sales in the first week. Sales died off about three weeks in, but it's still steady. Summer sale will help.

It's connected to my identity because I'm retarded and didn't make an LLC or anything like that. Can't really share it here because of that. It's a VR game, if that helps.

I guess I just thought I'd feel happy once it was over but ended up feeling underwhelmed by it all. I honestly didn't think I'd finish game 1, I don't even know where to start with game 2. I guess I could enjoy the neet life for a couple of weeks. I haven't played a video game in months.

Wurm Unlimited.

Any hints of when the game came out? I don't own VR so I can't play it but I'm interested in seeing what it is.

Anyway, there might be different reasons for why you're not happy. You sound a bit burnt out or don't give yourself credit for finishing a game. Was it a game you really wanted to make or just something you figured would be easy to do?

I see two possibilities:
You're either burned out and need a vacation, or…
You have a problem that makes you unhappy that you though you're gonna make up for with a successful game.

>human contact makes me suicidal

Jewtubers, eh? I dunno, it might just be because of what I said above, but I would feel autistic sending them emails, begging them to play my shit. Sounds fucking pathetic.
also
Even if it's good, you're going to be the VR equivalent of pic related, how does that feel?

So did you break 5,000 total sales yet? How much did you make before/after taxes and fees? How long did development take?

Looks like ghetto exception handling.

Ez

2000 sales seems pretty good unless you poured a bunch of money into it, I would be fairly happy with that considering I'm some unknown who isn't part of the indie clique, anyway congratulations on finishing your game, not many people do. Also seconding that I'd love to see what you completed.

Lack of self awareness in this screencap and your post is premium grade. Shame the author of a dick sucker will never know he unintentionally created a master piece of symbolism.
You are sucking your own dicks because you think practical solution is somehow worse than wasting time on pointless actions.

Your problem is that
YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE GAME YOU WANTED TO MAKE
Make something YOU want to play

>>>/tumblr/

Thanks user.

Not yet. Still at around 3500. It's hard trying to convince strangers to give you money after the more popular strangers stop talking about it. I made about $1000 in the first month after taxes+fees. I had to juggle development, classes, and a part time job so it took me a year and a half to finish it.

Literally just doing what said. Make a generic email, swap out names, copy paste and go.
could be worse, at least I didn't make One Dark Night.

Burned out seems right. Maybe burying my face in code for months on end made me forget my other problems too, who knows. I guess I could pick it up again after a few weeks and try making something else next time.

Following your dreams at least but why VR, you've just limited your consumerbase to those who own VR, and then those who care about the genre your game is. Good job on releasing your game, you're ahead of so many others here.

His only potential is cashing in on the low standards of sonyslamists

Hey fam, link the store page, I want to see what game you made please.

I've released half a dozen shovelware titles. Releasing a game isn't exactly an accomplishment unless it's any good.

2000 sales when your consumerbase is limited to VR owners isn't all that bad actually, so either his game is pretty decent or his marketing was really effective.
What I don't get is how he earned only $1000 from 3500 sales. 30% to Steam, and a percentage of that remaining 70% to taxes and shit shouldn't add up to $1k unless his taxes are ridiculously high.

No, I don't think that's it, professor Tumblr

Unless his price point is something extremely low.

Guessing about $1.00 USD then. Valve takes their 30%, assume 13% tax, you get 0.609 of your unit cost per game

Going through the list of releases 4 months old, at $1, and not made by a company but a person's name I can certainly say three things

His shit made him at least a quarter of a year of bills though, and I assume he's NEET like us so thats pretty good

what third world country?

Well $1000 US is about $1300 CDN;
I rent from my sister and that would cost $450/mo… not bad for doing it in your free time. Or you can invest and make the merchants happy

And $1300 CDN is about $1001 USD
And $1001 USD is about $1301 CDN

you see what I'm saying

Yes, that is how moneychangers earn a profit and also by having a flat and/or %-based fee

Felt the same way when I launched mine. Not really good or bad, just done. I guess it's true when they say happiness comes from working towards things and not really from achieving them.

There's far worse sins in that piece of code you're referring to. For example, using strings as an internal identifier for comparisons is awful, can you even do that in the language he's using? Also all of the "game over" statements can be condensed into a single one that just pulls different strings from an array based on which crime is being committed.

Can't you just write 6.0f or something like that? Shit, I wouldn't like to do a code review of this "art".

It's C#, so he could just write 6f . Not that that's close to the worst offense committed there.

I had an amazing revelation, i have decided how exactly my faeries and their acestors (the extinct race of Fae) reproduce:
They don't have genitals, instead they hold hands and transfer genetic code in the form of a mana flow, if a faerie accumulates enough genetic code it produce an egg with mixed genetic information from other faeries and her own converted from mana frequency to DNA
This means faeries are unnable to generate offspring if they are locked into an anti-magic zone, which makes they instinctively settle arround leylines and evade low magic areas.

Wait until you hear how Orcs and Elves came into existence in my world

user don't fucking do this to me you perverted degenerate.

It has been decided already, no turning back

I'm gonna make a faerie, name it after you, and then have all the other faeries breed and have happy faerie children, while yours is forced to watch. All of your faerie's friends will move on, live happy lives, and you will be alone, and forced to watch them hold hands so lewdly, forever.

I'm going to NTR you in your own fucking game and there's nothing you can do about it.

you're acting more homosexual than that pokemon mod that named everyone after forum members

What do Headpats do?

Makes them sleepy

How do I practice coding without being bored to death, without having to study/read for hours on end, never actually retaining anything?

It boggles my mind how anyone can learn coding without taking a class and having a teacher spoonfeed it to you.
Is there possibly any fun way to learn how to code?

What's the purpose of making them sleepy if they don't have genitals.

The worst offense is that he used proprietary software.

I expect this to be fully fleshed out in the lore.
It is important to commit to these things.
Do they accept human DNA?Some wizard out there had to have emulated their conversion magic whether out of curiosity or because of second pic related

Make fun things with it.
Say to yourself "I want to make [insert fun thing here]". It doesn't have to be a game just yet, just a random element of a game. Lighting, walking, textboxes, fucking anything you want, really, I'm not creative at the moment.

And then when it fucks up, you can giggle about the many autistic ways it fucked up in. "ha lol I wanted to make that loli ride the dildo but instead they both flew off the screen into space haha that's a giggle" or whatever.

And if you're gonna say that you don't know the basics, who gives a shit. Type in "how to do [thing] in [coding language]" and just fucking learn from there. After doing that for enough time, you'll pick up the basics.

Oh, and get fun music as well, it always helps. I recommend the Kirby OSTs personally, but whatever works for you.

Also you sound inexperienced
Look forward to making errors that compile just fine but dont work as expected and take 4 hours to fix because you put > instead of < or the like

I put my real name on my games, but it doesn't bother me because I don't have an online identity attached to my real name.

Progression.

Make pong, then make breakout, then make…. something more complicated. You learn as you go.

Make small games.

It's more like drip-fed than spoon fed. I can't understand how people don't lose their minds from the pacing.

I'm learning to properly work with networking shit. Is there an art/ideafag that wants to make a small game with me?

unity-tan somewhat related

Is there any actual good open source 3D engine.

shiiieett

Very good advice, I see I should take it in smaller bites, rather than trying to learn it all at once. Thanks for this!

Especially good advice. This sounds a lot more fun now, thanks. Yeah small chunks of random coding makes way much more sense.

No
Think of faerie mana flows like the electricity in the interior of a processor, it would be similar to binary code (but in three spectrums of elemental mana instead of binary) while human mana flow would be like raw energy going throw power lines (unless the human is an adept wizard casting a spell, which demands expertise in mana control)
Faeries are the result from human-made experiments trying to revive the Fae race which humans genocided into near extinction during the Great War, i say "near" because humans don't know there are survivors
In my world humans have mastered alchemy to the point they can create stable chimeras and homunculi, all races other than Human, Fae and Drakkari (half-dragons) have been created by human alchemy and are refered as homunculus (humanoids) or chimeras (beasts), but even with such power humans were unnable to bring back the Fae race, creating Faeries instead, some of which escaped the labs and now live in the wilderness
Alchemy experiments have been banned by the current king however because he fears the all the power the wizards have over the kingdom

Humans are fucking terrible at genocide and have been paying for that one for decades.

This
After dozen failed projects failed mostly because i tried starting from the ground up, doing the most boring and tiresome parts of the game first i started my currrent game by thinking "I wonder if i can make a super-advanced cooking system"
Tons of feature creep and determination later, and here iam making an actual game

I need to find a program that I can use to synthesize sounds, specifically SNES quality. I've tried using labchirp but it's very limited in frequency modulation. Also please don't suggest sfxr or bfxr, I'm gettting tired of finding endless reddit posts of retards going, "HURR, THIS IS SNES RIGHT"

Are you me? I was seriously just brainstorming mechanics for a cooking game a couple days ago.
A cooking game that would actually be fun is harder to do than one might think.

The human empire will fall due to liberal degeneration and massive "white guilty", also endless imigration of hostile hominculi and shit
But thats for the sequel, this one will be peaceful and comfy

Wanna hear about the 26 magical elements?

If you want you can check how i did mine in the /agdg/ thread, should be in the first page

That's the "interesting" part, though, humanity extinguishing itself.
The torture is seeing society become decadent, degenerate, deprived, disgusting and downright hypocritical all around you… and you being shunned, being branded an outsider an outsider for daring speak out against such a state of affairs.
And that's exactly what my game's about.
At some point, you have to stop caring, because if you keep giving a shit, you'll hate everything even more than you already do.

Suffering is proof of love user
You can only feel pain if you care

That means it is still possible.Which means someone will do it at some point.
Is it just instinctual for the fairies or is this the super powerful version of eugenics where one can choose the traits they pass on.

(checked)
I do.This is tingling my /tg/ senses and that always leads to nice stuff

Pic related
Also its important to find something to give a shit about user.Even if it is only as a final fuck you to the world that doesn't have anything worthy of caring.Thats the Human Spirit.(Aka go watch gurren lagann till you get motivated you faggot)

Its how the Fae race evolved, the Faeries inherited this trait, humans use alchemy for their eugenics programs though

Mana has 3 elemental spectrums
Light - Dark
Earth - Air
Fire - Water
Plus density, low density = volatile, used to cast spells, High density, stability, souls are made of high density mana

The base elements are, they are know as the "Commons"
Light, Dark, Earth, Air, Fire, Water

By altering two mana spectrums at once its possible to create the "Composites"
(pic related)

Altering three elemental spectrums at once turns mana into Wild energy, its loses all density and becomes uncontrollable, which usually leads to a pretty explosion The game Nukes will be like this
But tri-elemental mana exist in nature, in huge mana cores, its "Celestial" mana because its found only in "Celestial bodies"
In my world planets are orbited by two raw celestial mana cores, they receive different names based on the elements, the most common are Suns (fire,light,air) and Moons (earth,water,dark), all systems are geocentric instead of heliocentric
By the way, there are no gods, only physics

Forgot picture

Don't know if I've posted this here yet, but I just added reloading to my game.

Feels good when things finally start coming together.

Looking good pardner

Anyways
You called them spectrums which would indicate that they are not binary values.
For example how differently does a spell that leans %30 percent to Water and %70 percent to fire manifest from one that is %100 percent fire?
Does any slight triple manipulation cause EXPLOSION or is there a limit that could be achieved before destabilization?(ie would a %1 percent shift in the third spectrum fuck shit up)

Goto is perfectly valid to use – it had been used primarily before procedural languages took root, but can still be used today no problem. The reason why people are discouraged from using it is becase it's very easy to abuse and turn the code into an unreadable, confusing mess, and because in 99% of cases you want to use goto, there is a far better alternative.

In other words, make sure you know what you are doing and why when using it, and keep in mind that it's almost always better (as in more readable) to call a procedure or to wrap the section in question in a loop or similar.

Thanks.

If your mana comes in a spectrum and genders come in a spectrum, is Gender an elemental magic type

The mana doesn't manifest into elements unless its pushed to 100% on either of the sides
But non absolute spectrum values (-0.99 to 0.99) are still important for complex non-elemental spells and magical circuits
Faes are extremelly good with non-elemental magic and creation of magical circuits (golems)
While humans and drakkari have greater raw magic, but less control, so they use simple (but powerful) elemental magic
The mortal races never figured out, but it is possible to make use of tri-elemental magic, but you need to stabilize it by having someone else cast the same spell with the opposite elements in the other side of the globe while both are linked by the same leyline, thats why the sun and the moon remain stable

There is only one gender
Attack helicopter

see, this is a great example of someone who knows just enough about programming to be annoying

I identify as loli-romantic.
I feel like I'm a cute loli trapped in a slav manlet's body.

Soon, I'll get back to vidya (I hope)
Kind of getting toward a first test release for my project, and I'll have to shill it a bit. But there's a few quirks I need to iron out, and stuff not really finished yet…

Make sure to redtext really hard, user.

Why the fuck is that 4.7mb?

Do you guys think i can get into trouble with capcom if i add these references?

Maybe i should change the names at least

At least edit the fucking icons, and don't have it literally say the same thing for each weapon type. It just sounds retarded.

But that was the joke
They are all Big, heavy and unyielding

Also the icons i made it to look like the original, they are not identical, maybe i will do them all like the great sword, i did it like that because the GS icon is ugly as hell

Names are fine, and you didn't steal assets so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
They probably won't bitch.

As long as you don't out right reference anything directly and you made the assets then I'm pretty sure that's fair use.

these will be upgrades added to the hunting lodge to improve passive resource gathering, the player doesn't even use them directly

The icons are way too similar.
I tought you ripped sprites directly from the games.
The text is fine but I'd try to make more subtle icons just in case…

does this reduce overdraw or something

These are the originals
Yeah, i think i will make some changes

I'm thinking of making a multiplayer bullet hell, but the latency would be insane if I use an authoritative server. Thinking it'd only be playable if I give the players authority, aka hacker central

maybe it could be something peer to peer based?
If more than half the clients agree someone took damage that person takes damage in the server

with peer to peer based in mean a mixed model with client/server

Ok changed them a bit, other than the sword that was already different

while you're at it, stick a red cross on all of them

Won't that get him sued?

Using the red cross shown pic related for something not permitted by the ICRC is in breach of the Geneva Conventions Act of 1957, so yes, he could get sued. It's an internationally protected sign, not just a business trademark.

Looks like just wanted to make a quick buck then.

its just the copyright trap equivalent of "delete system32"

Don't you love when your game gets an accidental feature added in?
My faerie randomizer is coloring their hairs looping through the color spectrum consistently

So the fairy art is temporary, right?

You've made a skittles simulator.

when i port to Unity i might remake it to allow them for expressions

Don't ever go to halfchan brah

Oooooy vey what are you implying?
Also these dubs are anti-semitic

Cool. Reminds of that story I read on Holla Forums about how Africans took over some office building in Johannesburg and turned it into their own little nigger village, with them dismantling the elevators and using the shaft as a shitting hole/trash pit. It's like South Africa except with smug fairies instead of ugly coons.

Out of curiosity, how does "culture" work? I see a schoolhouse so I assume it has something to do with the average level of education among the fairies. Are there ways to lower culture? If the INT = culture and infrastructure thing is correct, then wouldn't culture become a non-issue once all of your fairies get tossed into the schoolhouse just long enough to not be at the intellectual capacity of a wild dog?

But the worst thing is that if I recall, casting is done at execution time (and can fail, especially for reference type objects), whereas being literal and explicit happens at compile time.

That happens regularly iirc. Building owners hire armed patrols to sweep in and remove squatters.

Faeries cannot read and have very short memories, the smartest ones interpret picutre books and teach the others
culture (purple bar) and infrastructure (green bar) decay every turn by 9% of the current value, so the higher it is the harder its to maintain
The individual faerie wisdom and cunning does not influence the overall culture level of the village
The stats are used to decide how well the faerie fares in each job, for example the School is Wisdom x3, Cunning x 2, Luck x 1 + trait bonuses

I fucking read this four times and read it as "armed parrots" each time

At least its not crows

Status effects are in. I also added a few potions to test them.

Please don't tell me bosses will be immune to them
Thats the biggest flaw in most RPGs

forgot to mention, culture is generated by buildings, the one who does it best is the School, but there are others that also generate fair amounts like Theatre and Apothecary

I don't plan to make them immune since the magic system I have in mind will rely heavily on status effects. I wouldn't want to make wizards useless after all.

2000 units sold seems pretty good for VR

I keep calling my EverydayLite a feature demo, since it is the demo of two features… but is "feature demo" really the word for it? I tried looking for the exactly definition, but found nothing…

Drawfag who wants to make vidya here. What's the best way to learn coding from effectively zero knowledge(and for free/minimal cost)? I have nothing but time right now since I am between jobs. Want to learn C so I can then learn C# or C++ so I can use Unity or UE4(preferably UE4 because Epic actually fixes bugs that the average dev will run into because they actually use their own engine)

I think C# is the easiest to pick up and start
Google "Object Oriented Programming" and "how to program in C#"

I found this: videos.raywenderlich.com/courses/47-beginning-c/lessons/1
Anyone have any experience with this series?

if you are starting from zero don't jump into Unity
First learn to make a standalone application
youtube.com/results?search_query=learning c#

Are those "Learn [Programming Language] in one video" things any good or are those just a good way to waste my fucking time?

These seem good

Don't. I don't understand what the emphasis with /agdg/ and programming but its stupid. Not even that many triple A developers make their own engine nowadays much less indie devs or a singular person developing a game. You want to make game all by yourself? Boot up rpgmaker, Unity, GameMaker studio, something that would allow you to actually get somewhere with minimal programming knowledge. The fact that you can draw is good at least you have one skill already down. You are one person not a team of people and its ridiculous to think that you could cover all of the bases of "making a game" by yourself without having your software do some of the work for you. I mean what is next after you learn C#, even considering that learning it alone enough to know what you are doing is a daunting task by itself? Next lets learn the entire process of 3D modeling, and then sound design, then GUI design, then sprite creating, then engine scripting and optimization. Do you see what I am getting at here? Wanting to make a game and having no previous skills related to doing so, starting with programming is like you jumping into the ocean and expecting to swim to another continent. I grantee you if you start with programming with the end result being to make a video game you are going to quickly realize how much you have to learn and quit like through the second tutorial you go through. If you are still wanting to tackle it I would definitely recommend using Lynda.com over anything else because unlike other tutorials you'd find elsewhere, the videos are structured like actual educational classes and are also paced to not be just an overwhelming mess of information.

What is this shader technique called?

Because general knowledge of the language makes mastery of the game engine easier. And I've tried doing GameMaker or jumping right into Unity and you know what happened? I ended up doing a bunch of tutorials where people told me to type things into a script and then after I made the script, I didn't understand how I went from A to B and how all the things I typed in made the function happen. And I can't make the game to my specifications if I don't understand what's going into the script.

Recommending RPGMaker is an even bigger mistake than than even GameMaker imo. Because if you want to do anything other than some run-of-the-mill RPGMaker bullshit, you gotta learn their weird programming language(which is different based on which one you're using). At least GameMaker demands you to learn it's language if you want to make something that isn't utter dogshit.

Disgruntled engine fag, upset that he wasted three years while other people were making an actual game?

RPG Maker is shit, but if user isn't a lazy, asset flipping nigger faggot, he can make something fine with it.

It's the absolute madman himself!

Yeah, you can make something fine. But you'll almost never make something great. Or if you do, you'll have to expend a lot of extra effort to work around the engine's steep limitations

Which Gamemaker Engine is least cancerous?

Game Maker: Studio
RPG Maker VX ACE
Clickteam Fusion

Nice strawman, faggot.

It's why I use GMS and not RPG Maker, despite making an RPG of sorts. It not only suffices, but I've been able to get ever single thing to work and look exactly how I want it to.
And you know what, I find RPG Maker too limited, but it it suffices for that user, why the hell not let him use it? Maybe it's his first game and he wants to try something simple, start smaller?
It just seems like autistic screeching from engine devs, bitching that they chose to take the hard path and others didn't.

GMS has been getting less cancerous with every edition. Now, if only they stopped tying framerate to room speed, that'd be nice.

The fact that framerate isn't just some box you edit in the preferences menu is a mistake.

I don't think they could uncouple step and framerate without majorly redesigning it and making every old game in it obsolete.

Looks like Fresnel

Game Maker and RPG Maker are utter trash for one simple reason. It is very easy to pump out trash with them, but much more difficult to create something interesting and original with them. They are designed from the bottom up to create a specific kind of unoriginal crap. If you want to make anything unique with them, you have to work against their inherent design and use their unintuitive hackily added modules that let you use original game code (of course, in their ridiculous and terribly designed programming language). Yeah, you could make a platformer in RPG Maker. Yeah, you could make a nice looking 2D (non-pixelshit) or even 3D game in GM. But it's going to be WAY more difficult to do than just using a god damn engine that's actually designed for doing whatever the fuck you want in the first place. When you're designing a game, you should only have to worry about how it's designed- not how to work around the crippling limitations and inherent design flaws of using a tool for what it was never originally meant to do.

Using RPGM/GM to make something that isn't run if the mill crap is like trying to use a screwdriver with a rock taped to the point to drive in a nail.

1. They did that with the audio engine, and I'm pretty sure they're doing something of the sort with the 2.0 release.
2. Who cares about old Game Maker games?

With the exception of framerate being tied to room speed, I have never, not once, encountered whatever the fuck your problem is.

If you don't know what the problems with GM are you've clearly never used anything better.

Nice answer.
I've dabbled in Love2D, right before starting my last project, and in general have spent enough time doing Python. You know what the difference would be between me making a game with Love2D versus GMS? Well, every piece of code would be longer, and use what I can only describe as "Python formatting", and I'm sorry, but if functionality depends on formatting, then your coding language is shit. It would take a year longer to make, since I'd be adapting to a language I only sort of understand. And… well it'd look EXACTLY the fucking same. To the consumer, it would be the exact same game, just released a year later.

Unless you're using 3D, in which case you're retarded, I still fail to see why every other engine is such a magical fucking godsend, and NOT an obtuse waste of my fucking time.

What kind of hell am I in for if I try to learn to make games with nothing but C++ and OpenGL?

Love2D is worshiped here as some fucking Godsend amongst hipster fags who hate having documented examples of how to do things.

I can say the exact same thing I said about Love2d, about Godot as well, it would serve the exact same purpose of merely extending my development time.
And if you're going to pretend like Unity is better for 2d that GMS then kindly shoot yourself.

2D or 3D? It's going to be tough as nails anyway, but I don't see why you don't use something like SDL with C++ bindings.

Just Like Make Another Game

You're that "picking up a different language/engine takes a year" faggot, aren't you?

I'm new to this, so excuse the retardation, but what exactly *is* SDL? What does it do? I can't seem to get a clear answer.

SDL is a framwork written in C++ which supports calls to hardware for input, graphics, and audio. It requires and is built upon OpenGL (as opposed to the proprietary DirectX rendering libraries). SDL also has bindings in other languages like C# or Java

SDL is written in C friendo.

A library for accessing common functionality needed by games such as video, audio, input, and a few other bits. It's common in cross-platform games.

That's SDL 2.0. SDL 1.2 it's optional (but highly recommended). Depending on your needs you also want to use OpenAL or some other audio framework.

It does when you have to work 12 jobs and only have 5 minutes a week

OpenGL has an open specification, but most of the implementations are proprietary.

I mean, look, if in your mind, "learning an engine" means "knowing the bare minimum", than fuck, it took me a couple weeks of randomly fucking about for twenty minutes a pop.

But I regard it as "being able to sit down and code ANYTHING I NEED with minimal Googling." And to get to that point, with my schedule? Yes, It would take a year.

Ah, you as well? In mine the age of decadence already passed leaving humanity as a group of chinky retards living in a hollow ever expanding city they have no control over. The A.I they created just left them in the dust after they fucked up and put too much trust in systems that failed to support their degenerate society.

nice nice

Fuck no, don't use anything owned by Creative.

OpenAL Soft is an open implementation like Mesa is to OpenGL. It's particularly great to play Thief 1&2 in Wine with that as the audio backend, because you get all the positional audio trickery that had.

RPG Maker 2000/2003

Here, save the image for a change.

The industry name for it is Vertical Slice. Part of the game, cut off and finished. A Horizontal Slice would be the entire game finished to some degree, like a beta.

You need to know programming to use Unity you retarded nigger. What next after you learn C#? You use fucking Unity. Not before. Now kill yourself Mr. >(1)

WOOOOOOOOO

GUESS WHAT MAGNIFICENT PIECE OF SOFTWARE WON THE VERY WELL DESERVED FIRST PLACE IN THE LUDUM DARE JAM?

What greatly innovative, polished, amazing dispenser of pure gameplay goodness has been bestowed upon us?

it's a fucking joke

ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/honey-home

Jesus Christ

holy fuck, that's what you call some sub-human trash

It doesn't.
jmp_buf is one of those beautiful assembly-tier constructs that you're generally better off avoiding unless you know what you're doing, just like goto. It's easy to make retarded control flow with it, but if you design your software around it, you can play on it's advantages and produce something better. (Much like how goto can produce rice as fuck error handling.)

What jmp_buf does is in no way comparable to try/catch. You might use it in a similar way, but cost-wise & side-effect-wise it does not work like that.
If you longjmp to a jmp_buf, you do not unwind the stack like C++ does. You just flatout overwrite the stack with the copy you made when you previously called setjmp.
This means that if you use a lot of stack memory, then this is pretty big. The default stacksize on windows is actually 1MB, so that's actually a 1MB large copy you're performing every time you longjmp.

You cannot assume that compilers can optimize this, since there is a lot of stupid shit you can do with longjmp. The jmp_buf you create can be passed around to and between different DLL's, and called from code that is completely beyond your control. Even better, the jmp_buf you longjmp to might not even be made by you, a DLL you call may return a jmp_buf for you to jump to!
The stack unwinding from try/catch only moves you down the stack. longjmp doesn't move you in the direction of the stack, it overwrites it. It can move up the stack too, or even "sideways" to a different stack entirely!

On top of that, longjmp does NOT do stack unwinding. This may not seem like a big deal in C code, but it DOES make combining it with C++ a potential source of problems.
For example, if you are calling a C++ library function, which then calls your callback function, then performing the longjmp inside of your callback function will trigger undefined behaviour: The C++ library function you called does not have its stack unwinding. If it has any state, this state is not reverted, and any objects allocated are not cleaned up.

Being able to revert your stack to a specified previous state at any time is rice, but most constructs you can make with that are significantly more efficient by just writing the needed flow control. If you want to be lazy and cut down the need to write this flow control by cheating with longjmp, then go ahead. But you should probably read into the side-effects if you want your debugging to be sane, especially if you're going to be using something as low level as vulkan.

That sounds pretty cool. Mine doesn't take place in the future though, and doesn't discuss the future to any real extent.

Yeah, I detailed my game pretty well in , but another way of putting it is "society fucked you in many uncountable ways, pushed you to the furthest edge they could and you're expected to forgive them, because you'll be alone otherwise".

It's kinda rough writing it, honestly, it gets too real at times. It's why I've done so much more coding and music work, and even moving on to graphics too which I hate most times.
Pic related is me trying to figure out what to do with a title screen.

I thought you abandoned that shit long ago, lad. Good to see you are back at it, our world needs more western themed vidya.

Here is the .45 ACP SMG. I think there are still some things I can clean up, but I'll show you all this mostly-done piece before I head off to bed.

And here's some of the up-close detail.

Nah, I decided to pick up GM:S after another collaboration fell through and bumbling around for a while. I'm still learning but I plan to finish it.
Thanks for the encouragement, man.

I see, i will edit the devblog post then, thanks

if it takes 1 year to learn a programming language because you don't have enough time
It will take at least 10 years to make a decent game

Better not waste time, then, yes?
Better ten years than eleven, yeah?

Still looking for help on this.

What kind of data structure is guaranteed to be sorted, doesnt have lazy sorting (so i can iterate it at any time, in order), and can have elements reinserted without having to push all subsequent elements around

Sure
The point was more that the amount of time it takes to learn a new programming language assuming you know one already is pretty insignificant compared to actual game making.
Honestly if you already know programming well enough you can pick most other languages almost instantly
and sure you will be googling syntax stuff occasionally but that's always gonna happen.

You mean a data strucuture which you can add/remove items without having "holes" between them? a normal List will do it (C#) or ArrayList (Java)

A linked list?

To be fair, invoking an iterator on a collection should not have any holes but yes that is a goal.

How can I ensure a linked list is sorted? I'll have perhaps 2000 objects at most (maybe more). Is it just a matter of picking the halfway item, comparing it to see if its bigger or smaller, then doing it recursively? That sounds like it would be log2(n) time which feels tree-like in behavior

Heap
Heap
Not possible. If you add an element there is always the chance it would be added out of order and so you would have to correct the structure.
By heap basically any balanced tree will do, some better than others

Remember the linked list doesn't have constant access time, so you would first have to iterate half way, then check, and then iterate again and check and so on.

Your self pitying garbage makes me sick.

You can make the List only accessible by a method that inserts new elements in the correct index, so everytime something is added it remains in order

recommend me a good c# engine

unity is not an answer

CryEngine supports C# if you want to deal with that nightmare
Godot either got C# already or is getting it this year(haven't checked recently so I wouldn't know). It's a FOSS engine so whatever problems you have with it are probably being worked on(or if you're a bad enough dude you can work on them yourself).
The biggest con of the engine as I understand it is the 3D part is currently under-developed.

What's your problem with Unity? Just curious.

it's absolute overkill for 2d games

You didn't ask for a 2D engine.

I asked for a good engine

Unity is a good engine
If you wanted a good 2D engine you should have specified that

That's what makes it great though

C# is coming in Godot 3.0, which is not released yet. But the github page lists its version as 3.0 Alpha, so if you compile from source it's probably in there.

Well, considering it's supposed to be a 3D engine and 2D is basically a meme feature in there, i see where you're coming from although i wouldn't call it Overkill.
However, trying to find an Engine based on a language you prefer is really hard. And just in advance from my own experience, i did search for a C# 2D engine 1-2 years ago and found nothing that i was happy with. That could have changed by now but get friendly with the fact that you might have to learn another language.

I still use XNA. Its perfectly fine for what I need

Thinking about it more, wouldn't a regular old Dictionary do what I want?

My debugging is actually a lot easier since I run Vulkan with the LunarG validation layer turned on (in my debug build, at least).

Luckily the only time that you would ever call a longjmp is when something goes horribly wrong initializing Vulkan, so i'm not concerned.

The optimized way of doing this is to replace longjmp with goto's and merge all 12 functions into one giant ~1200 line function, but error cleanup being slow isnt something im hugely concerned with. All of this is happening during the "initialization" phase of the program where the real bottleneck is loading assets and the error handling is only used 1% of the time.

The quality of spawned items is now determined by the current depth, instead of being chosen randomly.

is it just a roguelike or you have some features not usually found in the genre planned?

Since this is only my first project and since I'm still in the middle of learning how to program I don't plan on making something too ambitious, so it will probably fairly regular. The most ambitious thing I have in mind right now is the spellcasting system, but I don't know if I'll manage to pull it off.

thats fine, learning is the most important

[low-pitched screeching]
Starting an Engineering degree, though, so many the coding courses I have to take will rub off on my inner game dev.

sage for blogpost.

first of all you need to know what kind of game you want to make

Already mapped it out 100%, it's just transferring that to a game that's hurting.

If you don't have any experience you should start small. Draw a character on the screen and have him move when you press a key, generate a room or something along those lines, and build up from there. That's how I started my current project.

this, small steps are the way to go

indeed, nothing is worse than having dead weight in the team

care to share? we need to know where you want to go if you want us to point the way

isn't this shit usually the other way around?

thats why i stick to single player

literally unusable

Hello, I am the bad topology guy, how's this for a base? there are a few triangles around the ears that I am still unable to get around but I am planning on smoothing the base for the working models anyway, so what do you think?

3.0 (alpha) builds are here:
fixnum.org/godot/#latest_complete

the official unity documentation is giving me cancer. It seems like it's half finished for anything not entirely basic, and for some reason they think it's a good idea to link to forum posts

Yeah, yesterday I encountered a page which just links to a random, unaffiliated youtube video tutorial, rather than explain a process. In the part about skinning the rig to the model:

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BlenderAndRigify.html

i just got one in high calibre, i didn't want to waste ammo so i took one from a dead body then emptied it on his friends

nothing particularly wrong with the topology, just fix the chin/mout position

What?

I'm a kiddy with no idea how to program (most I can do is edit other peoples code/scripts and change variables as seen in my Kowloon videos). I want to learn C++ for Source Engine, any advice?

Ok, I see. Thanks for the context.

You know what, I'm gonna link to the short online C++ course an old teacher of mine made:
jbikker.github.io/fasttrack.html
Not Source related, but it should cover enough to enable you writing your own non-source-specific code. If nothing else some other new guy who wants to learn C++ might like it.
>tfw that study apparently went to shit recently so I can't even recommend it to people anymore

Make it pixel perfect

looking pretty decent.

is he right or left handed?

Both, because user mirrored the directional sprites.

THE JOKE ==================>
____
(your head)

Are you sure there was a joke in there?

pretty obvious to me

OK, I was able to fix those faces I was having trouble with, next is the torso I guess.

horrifying

What about the topology? this is just a base for sculpting and smoothing, I followed a topology guide and so far it seems is good enough.

He looks like a nigger.

it's that point jaw / lips that does that.

Yes, I noticed that, but that can be fixed in the character modeling process, I am just asking about topology right now.

There's 5 shitposters to every artist here, and 20 artists to every artist that can give good advice

Where are communities I could go to create a fangame or work with some people on this project?
It could be any general video game community.

It's not a romhack, and it'll be made from scratch. Also the progress speed is laid back, and anyone could share and give feedback to each other any time, but at least report in once a week.

Also what should I know before working with a group/team? Assume I'm a social retard.

You have a proposal or a set of skills to offer?

People are shit, you'll probably have to do more work than any of the lazy cunts, normalfag humor is incomprehensible… you get the idea.

I think the topology is accurate.
as for the proportions, you can look at 2D drawing art books for getting the face pieces in the right places.

This, but the type of person who makes a fangame is an autism you don't want to be around

I would be the project leader, of course

3D modeling mostly

also forgot to add that I'm most likely going to use textured eyes/mouth.

Yeah, I kind of know how to morph stuff here and there before smoothing to give it the look I want, if anything I want to limit myself to a full body mesh with 10k or less, I think I can aim for 6k since the face is one of the most elaborate parts.

What's your proposal?

Same here, a bit of 3D animation and texture painting, my forte may be level design depending on the outline.

I would like to know how to do that.

if you mean the torso then I just followed regular edgeloops google gave me with the subsurf modifier in blender.

No, I mean how to animate using textured mouths and eyes instead of blend shapes.

actually I don't really know since I initially wanted to use mesh parts, and finally realizing that textures work just fine.
maybe google can help?

shovel-chin is cute! cute!

Buy an anime figurine.

Topology looks solid

Crafting done, finally
Took longer than expected

Next clumsy faeries breaking items and item special effects and shit

Thanks, time to move onto the next part then.

Sigma II works fine on my laptop, it's just that the first supported resolution windows found was.. really small… in fact, the text doesn't even look good until resolution #5. At least it supports 16:10 without me having to do anything.

What did you code your game in? C or C++? Did you code on windows? Did you use Directx or a game engine?

I was thinking about doing a fanproject for kicks, but the main goal being to demo my game framework that I've been working on for ages; point is, is that I have some advice.
The main issue I've found is that you should definitely contact the original creator, and at least attempt to get permission (even if it's "for free").
That way, even if they don't respond, you have their "permission"; as not responding is tantamount to giving you permission.
Which could save you A LOT of headache in the future (cease and desist letters, or worse… being sued for copyright infringement); unless of course you live in some 3rd world shit hole, and don't mind releasing it under a pseudoname… I'd do this.

Daily progress; did some sound effects and mapped a bit. I plan on replacing the zombie model with some cyberpunk cyborg abomination SS2-style. What do you all think of the SFX?

Try to keep the starting and stopping from being so harsh and sudden. Fade the sound effects in/out.

This isnt a game (yet) its my game engine. Its written in C, and has both an openGL and Vulkan renderer, and right now it only runs on windows. I'm porting it to linux soon.

That screenshot has it running in openGL 1.4 mode.

Were you the guy posting all those lighting/render tests a month or two ago? If so, good job.

No, I wasn't posting for a few months because I didn't have things to show.

As far as I can tell, I'm the only one who cares enough to see it through to the end and isn't a completely autistic retard, and even then, I'm a bit of an autistic retard.

That's what I'm doing. They can't C&D/DMCA you if they don't know it exists until it's already uploaded under a throw-away pseudonym via VPN/Tor. Even if they get it taken down, by the time it's been up at all, it can't be stopped.

Why not at least try to get permission?
You may be able to gather a team based on this ground alone.
Although, the point of you asking, and potentially having to use your real identity sorta makes "plausible deniability" less than plausible.

Ah, well that'll more than likely make finding people to join you much more difficult; as they'll have to have the same "fire and forget" mentality about the project.
Reason being is that a pragmatic developer/artist/coder/etc (myself included) do it to get something for their portfolio, or to gain an audience for when they release a game they're going to sell.
Because as much as it's a hobby for the fun of it, most upcoming indies want to make a living doing what they love, and make it a career (for clarity: that is, independently… i.e. self employed indie dev).

indeed, also the streisand effect is nice

OpenGL 1.4, is that the fixed function pipeline?

yes, the only rendering engines are the legacy openGL and vulkan, however I am using extensions to openGL 1.4 if the computer supports them.

Don't learn C just to learn C++. A ton of the idioms in C don't make much sense in C++, since C++ was intended to address shortcomings in C.

Anyone got any tools for asset modding for Game Maker? I found a decompiler and can edit shit with the project file but upon recompiling it doesn't work anymore.
I just wanted to edit sound effects. Is there a better method to decompiling a GM8 game or is there something I'm missing?

I'd agree except for this:
C++ doesn't address shortcomings in C. C is designed to be exactly what it is. It's a minimalistic cross platform abstraction of the underlying computing platform. C is a system level language, it's great for manually manipulating the system without having to use assembly language.

The reason why nothing can replace C as a system level language is that when you try to make a language that is as close to the metal as possible while still being cross platform, you get something almost exactly like C.

C was made to be a single pass language and much of its lack of function in macro processing is due to the fact that you can compile shit on C that is ten million lines long, literally on a toaster oven. That's why C doesn't have namespaces, BTW. It's not a shortcoming it's a design feature to keep the language minimal enough to be useful on limited platforms, esp. embedded systems. There is a need for a language exactly like C and C fills that niche excellently.

C++ was C with Objects. It initially just added semantic sugar to the OOP paradigm that many C programs used.

For example. Where does your "this" pointer come from?

In C you can create OOP by convention:
Prepend an object's class to all function calls, and pass a pointer to the object as the first parameter of each function call.

void MyClass_memberFn( MyClass * this, int someParam )// C++MyClass { void memberFn( int SomeParam ) { assert( this != 0 ); // see C code above to learn where the fuck your "this" comes from. }}

Furthermore C++ munges the names of functions to create function overloading. Some people say C's lack of function overloading is a shortcoming. In truth it is minimalism.

If you want function overloading in C, then you encode the types of paremeters in the method name.

void MyClass_memberFn_int( MyClass * this, int someParam );void MyClass_memberFn_ch( MyClass * this, char someParam );// etc.

C++ still actually implements its features as such kludges to the C rather than just creating its own language. This is because the linker will eventually boil down references into something like what C outputs because C's type system is a minimal implementation of a type system that matches what a linker expects.

Because C++ munged overloaded method names in non standard ways you could not easily use C++'s method overloading in shared libraries – different C++ compilers would munge the names in different ways, suffixing something like "i4" instead of "int32" and thus confuse the linker.

Reliance on C is the shortcoming of C++, but if C++ diverged from C – getting rid of the C syntax which makes C++ syntax look arcane, C++ would lose a lot of support. C will always be needed, but OOP can be implemented in a myriad of ways. C++ has many non-essential features for system level coding, C does not.

C++ is great, very convenient, but hampered by its compatibility with C. This sucks because a dev shouldn't have to be confronted with a kludge of syntax due to inheriting feature from another language. On the other hand C is great and need not rely on anything but C and the hardware features not becoming too weird (quantum variables, for example).

TL;DR: C's "shortcomings" are C++ features that C purposefully avoids. Comparing the languages like that is weird since they're both trying to do very different things.

sage because "muh language war", and I'm really just procrastinating. Don't punish me too harshly Maggie-tan, I'm waiting for the caffeine to start working.
Also, was there any progress on our agdg-tan? I'd like to make some CC0 'placeholder' assets using her.

I still think it should be Aggy, short for Agatha.
We're past bumplimit user.

Nice write up and I bet you learned that at university. C was/is a garbage hack designed to run on a PDP-11. C is also only fast because a lot of work was put into the compilers to make it fast. In scifi there is an idea called the great filter. At some point there is an event that results in a great die off and only a few survive it if at all. That event in computing was the home computer, the PC and Mac. Those under-powered machines brought all sorts of new people into programming and the programming world started from 0 with assembly. I want my modern Lisp machines.

I'm conflicted.
I've been looking for a while, for a way to reference /agdg/ in my game, and while I already have something small, I was looking for something better.

This made me think of the idea of making Agatha Daggy a waifu option in the game. it's a dating sim, of sorts.
The issue is that, as a rule, every person in the game, including MC knowing her past, is hypocritical and degenerate, and I dunno if I wanna portray a fairly comfy board/general like this.
Though I have some ideas of what said hypocrisy could be.

There's that, and there's already a gamedev character in the game, poking fun at Toby Fox , so having both would be redundant.

The gun spread? Maybe. Though I was thinking of what variables/stats I could have for different guns later down the line.

Thanks m8.

The answer is the artist is lazy.

Look on the bright side, user, at least you're not so lazy as to flip the entire fucking game to switch the hands.

It could work

Posting progress before I sleep, hope this thread is still up tomorrow.

Why? Unless you mean shit you'd see on the ZX Spectrum that's really not something anyone wants right now. Furthermore, can you even draw? If so, why not later nineties pixels?

What does your image convey?

His image converys the fact that Nintendo flipped the entire world for their game to switch hands.

This looks rad so far.

This is the sillyest thing I've ever seen, but it works

What do the moonrunes mean?

Sharp one-pixel outlines and dithering are neat.

watch this, It will blow your mind.

sounds like BLAME!
Im on board

ritetag.com/best-hashtags-for/gamedev

wow, twitter marketing

pls rate

hum, i use #gamedev often, but since my twatter account is from the #Gamergate era im probably "shadowbanned" and in several blocklists, i don't get many retweets unless im tweeting qt animus for my weeb followers

git gud/10
this is true pixel art

Also Rei > Asuka

don't forget to check out the new Blame! movie, if u didn't already know, it came out a few days ago

First of all, is 400 a power of 2?

the original picture is 100x100

IS THAT a power of 2?

you can cropped it though.

That's not what I mean, call it autism, but you should always limit your sprite works to resolutions that are a power of 2.

yeah, but remember that only works on game engines, not fan art.

Oh, is fan art? then scratch that.

it was mostly to learn to work with limited pallethes after watching a gdc 8bit lecture.

for that matter I think you could have done way better on the face color.

there wasn't much I can do, only 16 colors.

can you post those 16 colors?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

Oh, that one? OK

Looks very Western in terms of technique. The uniform dither and the lack of contrast, I guess.

Now, to repeat this three more times

why three?

because then the giant falls off and I win

Indeed, why three when you can have four.

relevant video for amateur gamedevs and some motivation
youtube.com/watch?v=PlCXlP-tlQQ

Three more and four is achieved.
You ding dong.

Well fuck that, i just open a popup asking what the player wants now

What's a good way to decimate cloth simulation results? I tried Collapse but it makes the result mesh look like a fucking nightmare. However, the result using it is pretty good looking. Is it normal to use ugly meshes like mine if it's a cloth simulation result?

First pic is raw result.
Second pic is after Collapse Decimate.
Third is how the Collapse Decimate looks like.

use zbrush remesher or 3D coat auto retopo.

What's the purpose of decimating it? I mean, yes, reducing polygon count, why wouldn't you want to have a low polygon count from the start?

Because more points means more folds to make it look fluffy. Otherwise I get maybe 4 folds.

Shid Im gonna have to learn that now.

As they mentioned, maybe 3D Coat for autopo, BUT I have to say, you should try to find a good compromise between polycount and quality.

Wait I cant even afford Zbrush Ill just tinker around with the cloth point count or worst case Ill retopo myself. Triangle count isn't an issue at all right now but I wanna be neat about my topo and shit. The raw output is 10k triangles.

I can't afford the program either… didn't stop me from getting it, in any case you could manually delete some edges that are not needed.

Christ, I have no idea what I'm doing with Godot. I'm just trying to print the name of player node when it comes in contact with an NPC just to make sure it actually works and I even based some code off of one of the examples that come with Godot, but I get an error whenever I try to get the player node. Apparently it can't find it even though the Player node and the NPC node are both at the same level in the YSort they're housed in.

Is this a good engine for absolute beginners? The bulk of my small programming experience is in C#, but I figured it couldn't be that hard to learn how this engine works.

Without any knowledge of Godot or any further context, it looks like "body" is the NPC you're colliding into?

Basically, it seems like you're checking if the NPC's name is "player" which is never true… Try changing it so it prints body.get_name() instead.

How extensively do intellectual property laws cover gameplay elements? Let's say I'm doing some party game with some minigames ripped off straight out of Mario Party, with different assets and characters, of course, at what point do you start getting sued?

Shrinkwrap modifier is an easy way. In this case add a cylinder mesh with the amount of quads you want around the cloth, and shrinkwrap it to your cloth. Never, ever, decimate. Always make a seperate lowpoly mesh and fit it to your highpoly in some way.

patents.stackexchange.com/questions/16344/video-game-mechanics-patentable

I just changed it to print(body.get_name()) and it comes out as Player, so body is definitely player. So I guess it works right, I just don't know why it was going apeshit earlier.

Interesting, thanks a bunch.

Apparently this is a big important case?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Corp._v._CLS_Bank_International

is the hat on this too fat/big?
it's in perspective view btw.

also almost done with the model, I just need to add texture colors and it's good to go.
But I have to make more models before I can ask others to work with me.

Looks OK if you ask me.

its big, but it looks cute, keep it
I do need models right on this style, why don't you work for ME instead?

What are you working on?

thanks, I'll keep it then

>>>/agdg/27922
this

First anime-ish 3D model I've seen in agdg that didn't make me want immediately end my life

new thread? going there.

No, its my old as fuck /agdg/ progress report

oh OK, I would like to join but I need to complete my custom base mesh if I want to take any commissions, if everything goes well I will have a good mesh to sculpt for anime or realistic characters.

well, if you want to make a deal later, post on the /agdg/ thread, i always check it

Sure thing, right now I am fighting vs a basic model and doing a manual retopo with a basic loop pattern I got here, the head is done, I am on the torso, legs and arms will be easier I guess, feet will be kind of a nightmare, not to mention mouth and teeth.

one thing i want is animated free flowing hair, you know how to make it?

My current client asked the same, we used physx BUT it doesn't look quite well, I am considering using just some kind of joint physics like the ones used in jiggle bones, is just a matter of giving it more flow, still experimenting on it.

thread is almost dead so I'll repost this in the new one, but I've been working on my game for over 18 months and I'm finally ready to start showing off the trailer

me

tell me if you manage to do it, i wanna do a character like Hex manic, i want to hair to flow

What engine you are using?

looking nice
but its worrying me a bit because im making a farm game and i don't want more competition

Unity

okay I guess

OK, I'll do some research on Unity for that, I was planning on checking the engine anyway.

Maybe that's why there is so much trash on Greenlight.

I wish I could show shit off, but
1. I'm barely doing anything.
2. What I AM doing is all spoiler-heavy story shit.

What thing are you try to do

I'm making an online game. To test player vs player code, I have to compile a build, run two clients, meet somewhere, and then try and switch between the two windows and test the interactions.

I don't know how it'd work, conceptually, but it'd be a lot easier if I could somehow spawn a fake player to interact with. I'd just have it do something simple like sit there and attack while I try shit out on it.

The new movie looks bad.
Also read the extra chapters Nihei made like Blame! Gakuen, the one about P-Cell, and all the weird fucked up spinoffs.

You guys got me, I like The City as a setting way too much. This is going to be The City mixed with Kowloon though so a lot more of a real city and less far along technologically. I plan on ripping off some of the famous Nihei environments though like the bridges into nowhere.

It's pretty clear you just took some actual Asuka art and drew over it. Study the PC-88 more, friendo.

Let us not war over best girl this day and instead simply accept that Mari is a fucking tumor.

It looks really nice, the way the trailer was structured I thought the name might be Love Animals for a minute.

Isnt that basically called an echo server?

Or else just have your dummy player ai send simple move / stand / action commands via the same route your input is sent. I heard sometimes people open up like 10 ports and just send local traffic to itself via a listener port … though you can always just have one port and stamp the packets with the player or entity id

I'm using Unity's network library, so a lot of that stuff is hidden or abstracted away. So I'm pretty much stuck chasing shadows.

WTF I love unity now.

Can you bully the allies and save dresden from firebombing?

get_node("Player") returns a KinematicBody2D, not a string, maybe that was the problem

I was gonna gonna chide you for capitalizing on the minecraft aesthetic but since you are based Polish devs you are forgiven. Looks neat.

London is the source of the Reptilian infestation that crashes the world with no survivors and viewed a rising Germany as a threat to their degenerate financial empire. Actually as a non-German but fan of the culture (even before I became a weeb) my main motivation is the message that Germans should stop feeling sorry for their history and be proud since they rightfully could have led the world to the space age instead of the global shithole we have now, thanks to the allies. The Indie Clique controlling the world can get away with inserting outright Marxist quotes in their videogames and GDC lectures, as a Fascist dev I have to get very creative showing as much power level without immediately triggering censors.

That you, right? Physx looks good enough for me, the main problem is I can't upgrade the project anymore once the version changes.

It's more the crossy road aesthetic.

Good to know for the future I got a very decent result tinkering with settings and springs and got the new raw mesh to 1.6k without having to do any retopo or decimate.

trailer is really well done, and game looks polished/neat.
good job

Never seen inside a uni. Not much science to be found there, mostly just lies. Been ASM coding since the late 80's.

C was fine to use on those personal computers, but the damn compiler cost a small fortune, and Linux wasn't on PC yet, so no GNU 4U. Many folks just wrote ASM or BASIC if program execution speed wasn't important. I wrote my first shitty compiler for Z80. Didn't have any formal training, just imagined how could I possibly get from my text file script to machine opcodes rather than reading a data stream and jumping into functions (bytecode interpretation – which I also hashed out just fucking about with no formal instruction by imagining how BASIC worked and coding it).

I actually learned that stuff about C trying to fix the diamond inheritance problem in C++. Looking at how they fucked up by prioritizing C-style struct restrictions when implementing classes, polymorphism and v-tables. The OOP part of the language is broken. Using a few of its features together will result in edge cases that can only be solved if everything was templated. Should have just made templates the default paradigm… the language tries not to but it gets more lispy every year anyway.

Having gave up on fixing C++, and tired of fighting its "undefined behaviors" (which I needed to not be undefined to add lang features), I tried to start from scratch, starting with a minimal replacement for C, since the C standard is too huge to be bootstrapped from scratch now esp. "complex numbers" (WTF, why not an implementation of curve derivation and integration too, let's throw in an N-body problem solver, or a universe simulator, everyone needs one of those). The result of my low level langdev was a shittier version of C with different syntax, and the same core problems, even though I had came at the problems from different direction I had produced the same result due to the constraints of a system level language. So, I went deeper and figured out a way to fix many problems languages have today, but it would require creating hardware that work a different way.

When I was about 3/4 done with the chipset I realized I was basically creating a Lisp machine. With hardware GC, and a few other features you can solve the problem of modern day malware. When I retire I'll get around to a run of ASIC using a chipset of my own design. Until then I'm just doing amateur gamedev in my spare time.

P.S. That "sci-fi" idea about "the great filter" isn't fiction. It's the actual thing that really happens every once in a while. They won't tell you in uni that civilization periodically gets destroyed and we have to rebuild, and we are just the latest of many iterations. Sometimes tech carries over from the prior civ, usually it's coveted and controlled by elites until / if we catch back up.
Go look at the sea floor and see for yourself.
vimeo.com/album/2045605/video/47697010
Many writers and gamedevs are redpilled on such historical truths and they make political commentary thereupon via references to lost ancient civilizations / technology, discussing the politics of whether or not to prepare for cataclysm and how many to save (or if we should just cause them on purpose for social engineering reasons and to consolidate power). The Japanese are especially red-pilled on the true history, and it shows in their games / media. Reality is stranger than fiction.

Lazy niggers.

You sound carmack'ian tier, props to ya for all your hard work digesting knowledge, keep up the good work; we need more game devs like yourself.

Honestly, it wasn't that great (bad pacing, bad dialogue that seems unconnected, etc)… from a movie-phile perspective, but from a Blame! fan perspective it was fucking awesome.

re-reading the original Blame! manga now, and will be reading those next; thanks for the recommends.

Agreed, the city/megastructure setting is oddly appealing, and the idea of the "great filter" (as mentioned before) with old/lost tech/knowledge is a fun theme to explore.

it doesn't look optimal in my opinion, too glitchy, yes, is a shame we can't just migrate the thing to a recent version of the engine, at least you mentioned Unreal is getting its own physics in some future versions.