/cbg/ City Building General

/cbg/ thread, lets give this a try
welcome discussion on any related games, such as:
and anything else similar you can think of…

On subject, Mass Transit dlc, released yesterday, doesn't seem too bad but a bit pricey… whatcha take on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/LATEST/docs/html/get_started.html
transportfever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/2575-TF-Config-Editor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fucking images didn't go through

It's ok/10

I JUST WANT A NEW SIMCITY 4
IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Did they ever fix the traffic?

Cities Skylines has the worst visuals. All the buildings look like samey blocks of gray and they never look tall enough. They look more like Lego bricks than buildings.

Yes.
EA is shit and original MAXIS is dead.

what was wrong to begin with? (your lack of brain capacity to design a decent network is not a valid answer)

granted, their model design is questionable and bland at best

just go fuckin play SC4 then, why the need to always stick with what is the samey old crap?
you're the reason why franchises and reboots are much more of a thing than actually innovative game design

never fucking played that can you believe it
of course there were like a zillion releases too, when was the last one?

A-Train 9 V4.0. If you're new to the series wait for A-Train 3D PC since it's tutorial actually teaches you to play the game.

oh yeah, kinda of remembered it now, I tried it once before TpF release, couldn't figure out what the fuck to do
but in any case, the game scope seems to more focused on urban transport right?

Yeah, urban transport that affects a cities'/towns' development and property values around your railway. Think TTD but a deeper focus on passenger fluctuation per hour and with a real estate/advertising mechanics thrown in

that sounds pretty good, but I remember the one with only one big city involved, (I think was 3d)
going for some hours, don't let the thread die faggots,

there has to be someone willing to dump pics of their ugly city, and complain autistically about mods not working anymore

Something ez and comfy for a fucking casual wageslave with no will to learn the autistic ways of planning the wiring of an entire city?

skylines is really easy. You can't really fuck it up majorly like in the old sim city games

Its finished or it keeps getting udates and dlcs and shit?

say that to the cucks who can't into traffic, into death waves or into sewage

it got an new dlc literally yesterday

How is C and I demand calculated or determined in SC classic? I remember reading somewhere that I zones really do influence C zones somehow

I will wait, then, I feel like I miss something if I don't pirate games that will neger get any more patches/content

because some people came for a city builder not a poop tsunami simulator. Skylines is youtuber bait along the lines of goat simulator and surgeon simulator

Is Colonial Charter still the best Banished mod?
I keep seeing some things in the steam workshop like The North and kinda curious how those are

yeah, I don't even have words for this bait

good question, never got into colonial charter and would like to know which is better for someone who already played base game extensively

Colonial Charter is basically two expansions worth of content and gameplay changes to the base game. A lot of new resources, new buildings, new jobs, etc. If you like the base game, no reason not to give CC a go.

the thing is that it looks convoluted, too much stuff and not much necessity for them, so I'd get a bit lost on what to do

There's a little bit of that, but it isn't that bad. Overall, its fairly straightforward what you need to build, and then there's some stuff that gives options. And CC comes with a built in item list if you ever need to figure out where you get bricks or building supplies or whatever.
It was really only confusing for me the first few hours, at most, and I think I've put nearly 150 into CC at this point.

(checked)
You can't post an embed as well as images or videos.

This tbh. Even with their "european buildings" setting it still looks samey and not at all like a real city would.
I belive it is all due to the fact that a large building tile will always be taken up by what looks like some skyscraper. This is not only unrealistic but also prevents something like low density suburbs and extreme density downtown areas, since large tiles on the periphery will always build large buildings instead of just have a small cottage on a large patch of land, and tiny quartered in buildings in the middle of your city will always be teeny tiny shitty buildings you would expect in the middle of nowhere, but not at the heart of a fuckhuge city.

I don't know if it actually affects traffic but it seems like half of my road is covered by parked cars and I can't make driveways or parking garages without mods
It fucking sucks that it's so obviously made for large density areas but doesn't have simple things like indoor malls taking large areas and parking garages.

Did Skylines get any more optimized or is still a Unity mess?
I tricked myself to buy it on release, but I haven't played it since then or bothered with any of the DLCs. The optimization aside it was very lacking.

If both the on and off-ramps were on the same side of the highway, cars would literally never use the other lane, under any circumstances. Also, stop-lights were slow as shit, but stop-signs were actually yield signs for omniscient drivers who didn't have to slow down, making slow two-lane roads superior to wider or faster roads in almost every circumstance.

It's still lacking any sort of challenge. It's a city painting simulator and little else. You should have stuck with SimCity 4 and modded it to hell and back.

one is inviting discussion for all related games, the other is one guy looking for a confy city builder that isn't too easy (and by looks of it, already got his answer)

Skylines doesn't simulate "bad driving" eg, there would be no point for the AI taking the wrong lane if he is going to merge into one lane either way
and in case you didn't notice, programming isn't perfect to accommodate for every situation, roads are programmed as nodes connected by paths (nodes being intersections and paths being lanes), so agents cannot change paths if not in a node

1. one way to work around these is to design realistic road networks,
like if you have a 3 lane highway, one lane splits off leaving only two lanes going forward
2. due to processing limits, the agent pathfinding AI only calculates its route once and sticks with it, there is a modded traffic AI that solves that, and recalculates the path more times,
so if the path already taken is slower due to congestion, he will take the faster path (eg changing lanes, like pic related)

I honestly found most of the buildings rather ugly. But it probably is the most expansive mod still, yes.

I see not a single torrent

Is Industry Giant 2 worth pirating? Anyone ever played it or know any tips to play the game?

might as well just get it share with us if its good or not,
never heard about it, doesn't look new too

How is hearthlands?

Yeah, that's how you know it's probably better than 80% of the shit out there.

Thinking about centralizing the manufacturing and providing direct routes to the coastline. Why isn't air cargo a thing yet?

how do you make it look so nice and aesthetic? Also, how do you deal with the agent limit stopping the services from producing vehicles?

Following the terrain is the most important thing. Don't go up too steep of slope, follow the shorelines with roads, with highways in the mainland. Downloading an assload of assets helps too.
That can be averted by great mass transit networks, but that's also what the screenshots hide. Most of the roads are empty, because the city runs into the vehicle limit the second I load it. There's around 45,000 buildings but only 16,000 cars.

looks more like an transport builder than anything else, let us know if its good

fucking beautiful, can you post more detail on unique parts of the city?

fucking what? isn't like 64k, and even so I think you can mod it break, but of course beware of performance

and also, does the map have realistic river/waterflow?
and finally, how was the status after the last update, many mods break?

I should have been more clear; that's the vehicle limit. The total citizen agent count is much higher.
For this map, the flow is real, but the amount of water there was pretty unrealistic. My city almost drank 3/4 of the ocean before I switched to water towers.

I also haven't started the game since the update, but I'm sure something is going to be broken.

I wonder how it must feel to suddenly become rich one day

That's one way to get around the traffic issue I suppose.

Probably felt like 2 years of work paying off.

It's not really a city builder. You build factories, which produce (semi finished) goods and then transport them to the cities. Havent played it for that long, but it seemd a decent game.

I asked this in the other thread, but what are the differences between these games. The gameplay looks really similar.

well one is a open source iteration of a really old transport game, the other one was made like this year (or last year maybe),
you can imagine plenty of difference there,
are perhaps meaning to say simutrans?

ded?

a mod that makes them actually adjust their path instead of waiting in congestion the whole fucking time?!

that's legit a reason for me to play Traffic Simulator: Skylines again. What's it called?

are you being ironic at all?
well in any case the mod is

Mass Transit DLC is just a stripped-down lite version Traffic Manager Mod. Traffic Manager is better in every way.

Jesus did it really sell that many? That's pretty crazy.

you are aware that it took fucking long time developing it, and even hell of a long time before it got popular, right?

they have nothing in common at all, TM doesn't add any new method of transportation

So far the only differences I see are graphical / UI differences.

Hey I played this years ago when it came out. It's basically OpenTTD with nicer graphics and not as complex. You use trucks/buses/trains/ships/planes to transport goods over about 150 years of history I believe. Forget if it has passengers.

I remember it being pretty easy, but reasonably polished and enjoyable. Had some funny scenarios like hauling skins from alligator farms in florida to handbag factory and smuggling booze in prohibition or something.

Honestly OpenTTD is the same thing but better, too bad it looks like shit and has an obsolete interface.

tl;dr wud recommend but don't expect a masterpiece

Is there a Transport Fever like game that isn't an incomplete, buggy mess? OpenTTD's interface is just too much for me to handle.

I just want a real Majesty sequel

Tried it, it's not that fun.

okay newfags, ready for the spoonfeed….

this is a open-source clone of a pretty old management game, its basically a tycoon game,
there is plenty of fun, you can get stuff crashing and stupid shit, but basically its easy mode
based off of the game above, its very similar but turned into its own thing,
its more realistic and hard in logistics terms, for example:
- trains have real power ratings, acceleration and slope limits, weight matters
- producer/consumer chains, you can only ship stuff if the other end will buy it,
- complex production chains, and you need all raw materials to produce something, you can't ship more than its consumed
- complex passenger, they will take transport you're going where they want to go, needing of complex passenger hub stuff

so in overall this is why I say simutrans is not for filthy casuals,
also a bit harder to get into/learn everything, and also to find which modpack suits you better

recent iteration of the genre, in non blocky worlds, seems quite bland but has depth and is comfy
It tends more towards simutrans type of gameplay, you need to be smart on you transport networks and cargo industry chains

you're a buggy mess!

It has a lot of stats, but does anyone use them? I just build my trains and never have real issues. It is really comfy. I always feel like an old dude, playing with his toy trains.

AUTISM SOON FELLOW WEEABOO

of course, even more now that it shows you its power rating and speed gain on different slopes,
so its ideal to bulk your locomotive as much as you can without slogging it down
I know that feels

S O O N

What are some good mods for OpenTTD?

He's right. Skylines is not really a city builder, it's barely even a game. It's more like a toolset.

FIRS

bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/LATEST/docs/html/get_started.html

How fares your autism, /cbg/?

quiet lately I guess, maybe slow day on 8ch

Just discovered a really cool mod for Transport Fever.

transportfever.net/filebase/index.php/Entry/2575-TF-Config-Editor/

It allows you do edit basic game settings, without having to fuck around with the .lua files.

I've made a big ass map and increased town area (I always thought the towns were very close to eachother). This is max zoomed out and you only see 1 town.

I swear to God there's something in Dutch genetics that attracts them to games like this.

Is there a city managment game where after I build it up I can user in some kind of apocalyptic event and manage martial law and watch my citizens die?

awesome, I was wanting something like this instead of having meddling with files manually or having to subscribe to a dozen mods
but begs a question, doesn't it just alter the files it self?
and second, looks like a Windows only thing?

the program alters the files. It has a restore function, so you can easily restore things to their old value. It's also for linux and mac.

now you're taking, is it on steam workshop?

It's like with the Germans and their forklift simulators.

Koek

I hope they do a discount or atleast what they did for previous A-Train release where you get a big discount if you own the previous game

Who simutrans here

I keep telling everyone that simutrans is superior, but some still fail to see the light

Maybe it's because they like stacking things
Like the 600,000,000 milbillion Jew bodies that died in the Holocaust

no, only in the link I shared earlier itt