Fire Emblem: Shadow of the Valentia

So is the translation for this game also fucked or not? I've seen nothing about it around but you can't really believe the press so I was wondering if I can pirate it

Other urls found in this thread:

agtp.romhack.net/projects.php
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67613-fire-emblem-if-fan-translation-under-new-management/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Translation seems fine. It's just more of the same though. Better aesthetic than Fates, brings to mind the remakes of 1+3.

Just play it in Japanese.

It's just as cringy as Awakening's "translation" and has rewrites/personality changes but not as bad as Fates'.
Just pirate it and don't pay attention to the dialogue.

I wish I knew japanese.

the localization made a gay man bisexual
that's all i got

I don't fucking get these people, I thought they WANTED gays in their games.

IT'S NEVER PROGRESSIVE ENOUGH YOU SHITLORD

Only their changes matter, not the people they shove around. They are just looking for an excuse to take total control.

Oy vey, dont you know homosexual males are misogony because they dont want to have the intercourses with females? You cant just choose not to worship females, you sexist bigoted user!

Speaking as a Bi man here, this is really confusing. Leftists fucking HATE us. They really hate anything that's not Lesbian/Transwomyn, but Bis especially because they think we have "straight-passing privilege". eh, I guess it's still better than how Treehouse tried to make Soleil a lesbian. Pic related from the GG thread. They made Gray's va pronounce the "slash".

Every body hates bisexuals because you are the primary vector for STD transmission.

Can't transmit stds if I've never had sex, but ok.

don't be a cheapass and share needles now ya hear

The second screenshot seems like it could be accurate, but we definitely need a text comparison on the first.
Has there been any noticable personality changes?

Yea
It's worse than awakening but not Fates tier. tough i think Awakening and SoV are the same in terms of overal shit translation since Awakening had the whole Mute My Unit route completely removed from the game, while Sov has more character & writing flaws

What?

exactly what it sounds like
the localization of Awakening removed a whole alternate playthrough where My Unit is mute.

for what purpose

its not nothing, it comes with different dialogue whenever anyone talks to MU
that said if they get billed by the amount of work they do, wouldn't keeping it in be better than removing it?

8-4 is lazy as fuck and prefers to cut dialogue so they don't have to translate it. It's what they did to Azure Striker Gunvolt too.

That's some retarded sounding shit. /cringe

We hates them, HATES THEM!
FOREVER!

I swear that girl looks so much like my tranny friend

I forgot what it was like having shit localization after persona 5

Seems good to me so far. I haven't encountered any memes and the opening chapter includes dialogue involving some swearing, child murder, and rape.
It's not going to be literature at any point, it's a jap game after all, and a Nintendo game to boot, but it seems pretty decent thus far.
The gameplay is also pretty good. I'm really digging the exploration, examination, talking, stuff. Hopefully this was a market test disguised as a remake and this is potentially how they want the series' gameplay to evolve from here on out, because I'm really liking it.
Then again, I liked Shining Force and Shining in the Darkness so whatever.
Celica is cute as fuck

She's a spoilt brat character, seems fitting.

We don't need Persona fags shitting up yet more threads. Get out.

No, talking like California Facebook valley bitch is not fitting in a magic medieval fantasy game.

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far and i am yet to encounter any overly cringy dialogue. The animations and models are great too.

With a game and a cast like this, you make stereotypes to appeal to different demographics.
There will be the weeb character, the tsundere character, the edgelord, and even a bratty character. If they talk like a well known brat demographic in our world, it creates the stereotype much more strongly, which is useful because, as I said before, this isn't literature, it's pop-shit for the masses, and the "young adult" audience at that.
If you can't imagine a California Valley Girl equivalent spoilt bitch community among medieval aristocracy that might create such a cunt, that's your prerogative.

Passable. Gray is annoying (see first picture, he actually said "slash" out loud) but it's got some neat lines (see second picture). Most of the VAs are fine but Clive sounds really bored all the time.

It's time for you to learn Japanese

Aside from being slightly goofy, what's wrong with the second one?

He said in his post that he thought that was a neat line. Which I agree with, it's pretty snappy.

Holy fuck, how did my eyes skip over that entire segment? Excuse my brain problems.

Speaking of NoA translating Fire Emblem games, I'm playing through FE9 in Nipponese. Marcia has absolutely no basis for her weird vocab ("boat monkey", "sponge head") and is a lot less confident in her first encounter (she stutters and the suggestion she just kill them is actually), though looking ahead she's very different for her actual recruitment (Also I guess it's noteworthy Marcia refers to the Pegasus Knights as a holy order).

Really love what they did with the bandits/pirates though. The bandits spoke generic tough guy+bits of generic gangster and the "spice up" to compensate for this actually does work there ("female knight" and "red haired girl" become wench, and "all you can do is watch while I gut this whiny brat like a fatling pig!" is accurate but very flashy in comparison). Also has Shinon's being very full of himself (He uses おれさま) translated well.

There's a part where the game asks you what the gender of your character is and it gives you the following options:

"Male"
"Female"
"Other"

I'm quite sure there wasn't such bullshit in the japanese version even if I haven't played it. I'll still play this shit cause I'm an old fan of Fire Emblem, but if they keep with the shitty translations and if Intelligent Systems keeps introducing homosexuals and degeneracy to those games, I'll just drop them into the trash.

The VA articulating the slash is a secondary concern. It doesn't belong there in the first place.

It's not accurate.

What's she actually say?

Basically the same thing but without the 4kids nonsense about hurty lightning and roasting marshmallows.

My babby Japanese says it's similar but without the big boey hurty and no marshmellows.

Was she doing it in the genki tone or something? That's the only reason I could see translating something that way, but regardless, it doesn't fit at all.

Nope, it's pretty standard Japanese.

Yeah, the localized one makes her come off as a brat while the Japanese is pretty natural no nonense tone.

Well then fuck them right up the asshole. Is it really so hard to maintain a consistent tone? Fucking fates and awakening were all over the place with that shit, half the conversations begin in "formal" tone but immediately lapse into buffy style teen speak.

I swear, this is all the callused hand of women at work. They probably aren't even intentionally doing it, they're just reading themselves into it and editorializing accordingly.

Fucking christ. At this rate I'm going to end up having to retranslate at least half of the games myself, since I don't trust the fags at Serenes to do a half decent job after their spergout.

So how's PoR's translation overall, you'd say? Decent enough? Is Marcia the only notable problem?

What happened this time and how does it somehow tangentially related to Trump?

I don't understand why that line was even written that way in the first place. Surely it would have been a conscious effort to change it from "kill or enslave us".
Are these people really that retarded?
Don't answer that, I know they're damaged.

Nah, it's kinda old, but basically some of the guys working on the Fates/IF fan translation starting bitching about people criticizing Treehouse with all the standard goon excuses and insults. Someone named Immahnoob called them out on it, Serenesfags get triggered, drop the project. Now they're working on it again and I don't trust them to make it good. If you want something done right, do it yourself, as they say.

The worst part is that it's actually text-message speak. Nobody says "slash" aloud except when they're trying to be ironically humorous.

Honestly think Robin being mute or not doesn't matter. He's got just as much character as a mute despite having dialogue.

That makes no sense. Isn't Treehouse the reason why the project even exists?

Yep. sjweebs never make sense.

Its better than the other 2 shitty 3ds games by miles. Buy

Also the fact that fan-translators are notoriously clicky and spiteful. Fucking Aeon-Genesis STILL bitches out anyone who works on a game he "claimed."

Go away shill.

Do you have a list? I enjoy angering goons, and It'd give me an excuse to practice my Nip.

Right here my partricianly friend.
agtp.romhack.net/projects.php
over 40 ongoing projects

Of those, it's worth noting that SMT…if has apparently been "just about to be released!" for four fucking years now. They're worse than XSEED.

:^)

What kind of brain damage/prodigy-tier focus does this guy have to work on fucking forty projects at once?

Ah yes, the "proto-Persona" Is the game any good?

It isn't.

I can appreciate upsetting faggots like that, but translating isn't going to improve your Japanese and will only yield shit translations, assuming you finish anything.

Not really. Of the list, the most promising is SRW Alpha, but that's apparently a cluster fuck to work with.

Honestly all you'd need to do to piss a bunch of people off is post retarded screenshots.

Note that I personally do not recommend starting with Majin Tensei. I started trying to translate that a few years ago, and the game has some extremely convoluted compression algorithms going on in there. I got as far as the battle menus before I realized that large parts of text would require hours of analyzing the assembly code to figure out how the fucking compression worked.

So far, yes. Only at mid-chapter 3 though. There's only 3 other notable non-name changes so far: A line got a minor rewrite to avoid dealing with the use of "senpai", text that was already gameplay advice mentioning the enemies on the map are in red, and in Japanese the Begnion Pegasus Knights are the Holy Pegasus Knights (one's good, one's perfectly reasonable, and the last is probably only excised for dialog flow reasons instead of censorship considering Begnion's religious aspects were pretty obvious in the English version anyways).

10 apparently has a pretty serious problem where they used the abridged version (which the Japanese version only uses for the easiest difficulty) of the script for all difficulties, even if it does have some nice additions (extra stuff for the Dawn Brigade, some fixes to the final chapters) and (apparently) a cool fix to the retarded deus ex machina the Japanese version used for the Black Knight's survival in 9 (Warp power malfunction that's never used again is turned into Black Knight letting Ike win for reasons that already exist in the story).

Mystery of the Emblem is also a bad idea as I think the FIre Emblem fanbase did that, did the remake, and did it again one long ago.

Metal Max 2 has both an improved SFC remake and a far superior DS remake that should be done instead of the relatively primitive FC original

Soleil wasn't gay, they just did this really weird thing were every man (even male Kana) friendzones the shit out of her.
Even Forrest essentially pays her in shampoo to fuck off during the S rank.
It baffles the mind.

Also, someone is fairly far along the DS Metal Max, they said in the next year.

Her personality is supposed to be really aggressive and off putting, isn't it?

Just a genderbent Inigo.

I'm playing the Japanese version. I just passed that part and the dialogue is nothing cheesy and cringeworthy like that at all. The original dialogue is plain and serious in tone, nothing fucking moronic like "hurty" which isn't even a word or the dumb reference to roasting marshmallows. It honestly makes me want to slap whoever wrote that dialogue.

The fatigue system is something that they should have kept since Thracia, it adds a new layer of strategy into the game and makes you think better about which units should participate in battle and how much they do need to participate instead of just using the strong ones and break the game. Echoes does it in a way more simplified way but it still works.
Gaiden gameplay is fine, is simple but still difficult in it's simplicity the problem here is the awful map design and the easy grinding, however, is not near as easy as Sacred Stones.
Also, Conquest gameplay is good but not near as good as people say, of course, it's better than Gaiden map design and has some good ideas but is has some horrible flaws that people don't seem to acknowledge. Thracia and FE12 map design blows out of the water Conquest maps, and maybe Fire Emblem 6 and FE7 but that's debatable. Also, the Dragon Vein is a poorly executed gimmick that adds no strategy whatsoever except on, like, 2 or 3 maps on Fates.
Fates as a whole is shit and people should see that Conquest is not near as perfect as everybody says.

The fatigue system doesn't add shit to the game and Thracia is a clusterfuck of bad ideas. It has the same problem as Breath of the Wild's durability system, forced variety is not real variety. What makes me think about what units should go into battle are things like enemy placement, class, equipment, and the Weapon Triangle. Thracia isn't even balanced to begin with because of shit like Pugi, the Crusader Scrolls, and all the broken systems and RNG bullshit.
Echoes is better about it true because the army's split in two, but it still isn't very balanced because of Mila's Turnwheel and Revival Shrines. In fact, it might even be easier than SS.
Conquest has problems too, but aside from enemies not being able to initiate Pair-Ups, they're relatively few. There are a few too many Pegasus Knights in C10, the Ninja Hell chapter in general, and the Inevitable End/Staff Savant fuckery at the end immediately spring to mind. No the maps aren't perfect and 12's are better, but maps aren't the be all end all of FE difficulty like you seem to think they are.
Echoes' difficulty relies on grinding and RNG bullshit like 40 avoid throne tiles. Conquest's difficulty relies on enemy placement, ai, and equipment/skills. While it's debatable which one is "harder" at least Conquest's difficulty is legitimate and not a dice roll.
Don't know why I wasted my time writing this, you're clearly either a shill or retarded since you actually think Thracia has any mechanical value to it.

So 2019 at the earliest?

How much better are Conquest's maps? Played the other route first and the maps there are so fucking boring I'm burnt out. The ones that should be decent just force you to do nothing for many turns while the enemies kill themselves. There's no thieves, time limits, recruitable enemies or suicidal allies to incentivize doing anything else. The boat and exploding sewer chapters are the worst here.

Most of CQ's maps are decent to good, some of which are shared with BR. Izumo's map is a lot better due to your starting positions changing and the fact you have a time limit. Some of them are quite trash though. Early maps on Lunatic are glorified puzzles, 18 and the last three are also pretty bad. The chapter where you fight Ryoma at least has a decent gimmick to it, though. Revelations maps are all clearly experiments, and while I like the variety, the game suffers for it.

Right around the same time as EOV and Ao no Kiseki, yes.

Most of the Fire Emblem games let's you go with certain characters and only those characters, Conquest is a clear example since it suffers the same as New Mystery of the Emblem, most of the characters that joins your army are underleveled or suffers from terrible bases that won't let you use them on your game, especially on Lunatic where enemies stats are incredibly high on the lategame.

I do believe that's true, but Thracia also has good balance, stats capped to 20 and growth altering items help to makes good units and most of them can be better than what they are. Also, dismount exists and for a good reason and fatigue while it forces you to choose other units, it helps you to not use the same and broken units over and over. Also, some weak enemies are a thing on every map so it helps you to train units that join your army underleveled.

Grinding is a thing and it fucks up the game in my opinion, but the avoiding tiles aren't a problem since magic ignore terrain effects and is powerful on a game where Resistance is almost non-existent. Mila's turnwheel is a mistake though and now that there are Revival shrines casual mode shouldn't be a thing, neither the turnwheel. Also, I don't believe that Echoes is easier than SS when Seth exists.

This is Thracia RNG all over again and you defend this crap?

Also, Chapter 24 of conquest is almost unbeatable without Dragon Vein, the pillars of wind map is awful, ninjas needs to be nerf considering they have good abilities, strong 1-2 range with no penalties on a game where 1-2 range is a bless, 1HKO abilities, they can give +1 movement to units thanks to pair-up and other shit.
Also, the game is pretty inconsistent with it's difficulty, sometimes the game is difficult thanks to gimmicks (and it's horrible implementation), other times is because of the map design and unit design (which is good) other times is because the game puts too many strong units on one map and is almost mandatory to use certain units instead of real variety.

Conquest has some good ideas, but fails on the execution, it has better maps than Gaiden/Echoes and is more difficult, that's undeniable, but is not the greatest thing that people say, it's more of an experiment more or less.

So are there any major instances of censorship in this game? Bad translations are one thing, but are there any outfit changes or removed/altered gameplay? Anything as big as the face petting minigame removal?

Has there ever been a legitimately difficult FE aside from 6? I've played 4 through 9 and the remakes. They were all piss easy or relied on gimmicks or bullshit for difficulty. 9 was easy but pleasantly challenging with side objectives.

But not wanting to fuck women is sexist, didn't you know?

What are you referring to with side objectives? All characters all treasures? Complete all bonus XP giving stuff (doing the prison chapter with stealth, leaving the desert rebels alive)?

Yes. Leaving the vigilantes alive and getting zihawk as well. That required unconventional planning and care with your formation.

Just a reminder that Fire Emblem IF (Fates in the west) is still undergoing fan retranslation. They've finished a good chunk of the game and the dude is making regular posts on his thread.

Be aware that its on serenes so just brace yourself for general faggotry and asskissing in the thread.

serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67613-fire-emblem-if-fan-translation-under-new-management/

It's taking them fucking ages though.

Too bad it'll still be a shitty game, good translation or no.

Glad this thread exists so I can give up on Valentia before I even cared about it.

yep. I doubt we'll see a completed translation until next year minumum

your type won't be satisfied by any of the new games anyway. stick to romhacks or something.

What's the deal with Leo anyway? Apparently, he was an ordinary manly bro character in Gaiden, and used the first person pronoun "ore", now in Echoes he's a bishie borderline trap and uses "atashi" and lots of other ultra feminine girly girl type speech.

Fates was honestly one of the worst games I've ever played, so I'm skeptical to give this one a chance.

I bought the collector's edition not sure if I'll scalp it or not yet its already going for quite a bit more than i payed but I'm also a bit of a collector.

No, that's Puppeteers. There's a reason why every other game that has a Copy unit doesn't make it a generic class.

I was told that the third gender option on the wireless card was "Monster" in the Japanese version.

That's fucking trash.

He's full homo now and has a crush on Valbar

Meant to reply to

Yeah, if he didn't have a reason why he was acting like a Casanova around ladies. Soleil is a shit character, both in the translated game and the treehouse version, and sucks that her character's existence caused so much chaos.

Alright so I've played it for a bit since I got the english version as a gift don't worry.
It seems pretty alright so far. Some of the VA clips are weird like them pronouncing the slash, but it's fine enough, nothing terrible.

Any way to pirate the DLC?

Is there a fab translation? I'm playing the undub and apparently the official translation didn't even care with the context. It's all over the place. I understand more if I just listen to the Japanese voices.

3DSiso or 3DSchaos.

I tried the undub but I wanted to understand the little things the characters say at the beginning/end of battles so I went with full English. It's not that bad and I might buy it.

Is shadows of valentia considered good?
It's my first Fire Emblem on the 3DS

Consensus seems to be that it's the best (or least bad) of the 3DS games, but a middling title overall.

Was this done by treehouse and they have improved a bit since the clusterfuck that was fates or is it 8-4?

Yes.
It's also significantly different from most Fire Emblem games but I guess you already know that.

In the final game, alcoholic drinks can't be consumed and only serve as offerings to Mila. Leftover text suggests that the original plan was to let characters over 20 be able to drink, but right now nobody can. This was also in the Japanese version however so I'm not sure if you can call it censorship

So Gray just died because the Entombed in the Deliverance hideout hit him twice with 20 damage each time but his dialogue after dying sounded more like he was retreating rather than just dead. I'm not playing on casual so i'm just wondering wether i should reload a save or not.
Is there a difference between a unit being defeated in a dungeon and a unit defeaated in an overworld battle?

Radiant Dawn (FE10)
Thracia (FE5) has a little bullshit but its mostly legitimately difficult

You should probably reload. The game has him retreat because he has a role in the story and they didn't want to write around him being dead, but for all intents and purposes he's considered dead and no longer playable

pirate it

Will do, thanks lad.

I thought 4 was pretty fair.

FE games will write story-essential units as retreating instead of dead, but you can't use them anymore so they're effectively dead. It would be nice if they'd differentiate between retreating and getting maimed and getting killed but whatever.
As an aside, I tried the demo for Diagaea 5 on Switch and I'm enjoying that much more than Valentia now.

My favourite thing about Shadows of Valentia is seeing all the Awakening babies cry and moan that the growth rates aren't outrageously high. My brother threw a fit and claimed the game was screwing him because he was getting only 2 stats per level.

Between eugenics and holy weapons 4 is probably the least balanced FE game we've had.
Doing the second generation with only replacement units is a pretty interesting challenge though.

Is anyone using freeshop not able to get DLC to work with SoV? Whenever I download the DLC and try to access them, the game opens up the shop and deletes the downloaded DLC's.

I downloaded the .cia with ciangel, so perhaps that has something to do with it as well, but I'm asking here before I ask someone in the homebrew thread. I've tried downloading the DLC from both the freeshop and ciangel.

It's 8-4 again.