Games that got it right

Quite often, when it seems like when people ask for "Good games", most of what I see listed are games that are "Great" or just "Good enough". And, briefly glancing over my library alone, I cannot think of a title that hits all the right notes correctly and would be considered spectacular in all regards. So, what games do get everything right?

>Please let the there be people who's gut reaction isn't what one can easily find on a top 10 list. There must be other titles besides those.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYQHPO1lD7w
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyk1dsGZQY
youtube.com/watch?v=pO5iNCi8jHE
youtube.com/watch?v=GauhWG340dI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apng
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

too bad the sequel was a miss.

undertale is a fucking masterpiece

No. It has many weakpoints but hides them behind girls/sexual minorities/cute furry things so it is effectively beyond criticism.

On the other hand, it heavily rewards player agency in a way no other game I know does. It's not like games haven't done things like Undertale before, but Undertale really identified the space and leaned on it hard in a way that I don't know of.

For story-driven games to be their own kind of "art", they should strive to be more like Undertale and recenter the entire game universe on player agency.

It would be so fucking awesome.

It's so fucking subjective it's not funny.
What is right for you? In what genre?
If you don't have a bunch of personal 10/10 games you either played too few, or have some mental illness forcing you to find flaws where there aren't any and preventing you from enjoying anything to its fullest.

Fucking tetris for starters, it's perfect at what it does, it doesn't have any real objective flaws. How about you go and play it for the first time in your underage life?

Really, the only perfect games are arcade games. When i think of a perfect game i think of pacman and bosconian. They're both simple easy to play hard to master games that are always fun. Really, the best games are some of the early arcade games when people didnt give a shit about stories and writing.

Yeah with more complexity come preferences.
Still doesn't prevent me from having a bunch of modern personal 10/10 games. That being said the current selection is so wide and deep, I can't fathom what possible preferences can a mentally healthy person have to find NOTHING perfect for him.

Isn't they're no real 'win condition' in og tetris? I'd call that a flaw.

Beating high score is one.

The more complexities you add the more that can go wrong. Im talking about objectionable perfect games. I do have a few personal 10/10's but they have flaws too. Honestly i think pinball might be as perfect as a game can get, but i dont know if pinball counts as vidya.

Did the very first iteration even have scoring? I thought that was added later.

Perfection is in itself impossible, there will always be flaws or shortcomings in anything, doesn't mean that there are no great games or great things in life. To go as far as calling something perfect means you most likely not have high standards.

There was something so genuine about Iwata when he said that. You don't see shit like that anymore, especially not from CEOs. I was just watching Googles I/O17 even and all the coached Pajeet fake smiles from those Berkeley hipster cunts don't even compare. Iwata was a great person. Too bad I didn't give a fuck about him until he died but that's most famous people I guess

Mechanically simple but extremely deep and a lot of investment.

MGSV thread?

How is it a flaw?

Minecraft got it right. I mean, I don't like it but i'm not the intended audience. But its massive success and cult following shows Notch hit all the right marks.

Terraria probably got it right as well.

Skullgirls is probably objectively the best game i've seen

The Halo games also are generally pretty outstanding in all regards: music, visual design, amount of content, user created/modifable settings, lore, and gameplay, but obviously for that series the gameplay being good or not is contetious.

Lastly, Asura's Wrath is also pretty much firing on all cynlinders for every facet of itself, except it's gameplay, but it's sort of intended to be an interactive anime anyways so I'm hesitant to count that against it.

Notch made a lot of mistakes with Minecraft, and developing it in Java initially was certainly the least of its problems

Literally does not exist. All games have flaws.

Of modern games, I think Nuclear Throne and Factorio are very close to doing everything right for their particular game type.

before shitposters flood with replies i must say that the art, the design of the stages and characters and the music, all were great, i wish skullgirls had a good gameplay , i really wanted to like it.

Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of the appeal to popularity fallacy. Was just thinking of it hitting its mark commercially with a young audience and creating a cult following similar to some horror flicks and other pieces of media. I retract my statement on minecraft getting it just right.

That begs the question though, what are the metrics for a game that hits all the marks? Is it subjective or an objective goal? And i'm sure those criteria that if gotten to would make a game considered "getting it right" would probably change between genres like RPGs and FPSs. Would the metrics change between demographics and interests, or are they a constant?

They censored the panties.

Juggles and combos make for shit gameplay.
Tit-for-tat design makes for a far better experience and spectator sport.
Modern designers should really go back to the roots.

They couldnt have updated the sprite to look like it originally did? Its obvious sjw pandering ruining a game.

It doesn't matter how much they changed, only that they changed something.

"deal with it, we grew up, we are more mature than when we started the game because now we're trying to please our purple-haired internet girlfriends by quality-restriction cuck our own games"- Kike Z

What a shitty argument, you could use this to justify literally anything. "Lol so what if they did that they didn't touch the other 99% of the game."

Oh hey there yandev, didn't realize you still came here.

Just about sums up how retarded people are just because they can get with a stupid argument, it's like they want to tell me they removed a grain of sand in the beach and i should feel bad for not caring

It's the principle of the thing.
Also it's best to nip things in the bud, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, etc.
Too many people don't learn that lesson.

You mean, the game that hasn't changed a bit in the past 33, and any attempts to do so, or shake up the formula, are either met with hate or criticism that can be summarized as, "I was an idiot for tossing my Game Boy."

It's a little bit hard to consider what is good these days when you actually find something that you enjoy, present it to others in hopes they'll enjoy it as well, and they fire back that, "No, this is shit, and you are shit for enjoying this." rather than something along the lines of "Hey, here's a game that's (similar, but) even better." You know, perhaps bringing people to a higher ground through recommendation rather than shame. And, I'm not saying this is exclusive to Holla Forums, but I'm just tired of seeing it everywhere, that people "like" things, not because they actually "like" them, but because they're shamed into doing so. And, all it's resulting in is everyone becoming fractured, disarrayed, cynics who only agree with whatever clique their is attached to.

Pretty much this:

I always filed pinball as one of those arcade/fair ground games like pachinko and the mechanical games, though I also distanced it because pinball was distinctly a 70s/80s thing.

I'm probably pushing my post with saying this (Hence the embed), but could I also say that THIS is my other problem with gaming. Not these posts themselves, but the the developers or publishers of titles such as these, that have recently become such insufferable pricks that they literally attack the very audience they're suppose to be selling to, AND PEOPLE ALLOWING THEM TO GET AWAY WITH IT!'

Simply put, I'm just tired of being treated like shit from almost every single spectrum of this medium.

What roots? Even "veterans" of the industry have returned to the areas that made them a success, and even they cannot push out a good game (Or something that tops their previous work).

The way I see it, most people afraid of a "slippery slope" incident, or something similar, happening, which they've seen time and time again.

And, I screwed up the styling with the fifth replay.

Combos started out as a glitch in SF2. They weren't even part of the intended design.

Now 9/10 fighting games are nothing but combos and it fucked the genre into irrelevance until SF4 dialed things back a bit.

Im tired of games being cucked. Thank fuck persona 5 came out unscathed. I was really close to killing myself if it turned out to be sjw pandering.

What a world we live in

A friend told me they teach this at universities, they're all fucked.

Everything there is opposite day.

Prove me wrong.

Everything is taken with measure, if they had said "pantyshots are bad" or removed half of these animations, some of which by the way show more skin than the ones removed, then i would be concerned.

What they said did not exactly resonate with me but i try to understand their point of view, and they abruptly shut down discussion because of people like the ones here, who will rather seed unrest than contribute with a real critique.

Or, they could have just updated the sprite so it looked as it was instead of doing this shit.

Fallout 2 and New Vegas did everthing right in the isometric cRPG and ARPG genres respectively. Pic unrelated

When I was in college, and they first preached that too me. They presented all the worrying as nothing more than this commercial. Then, I was given a small dose of reality, and things went from there.

Im lucky i learned the truth before i was anywhere near college.

I'm in for the degree so i can get a 100K+ job
Otherwise I'll have to compete with Diversity tradees and earn closer to 40k
tbf though, Australia is likely different from where you are

Slippery slope arguments basically rely on every single step in the event chain going exactly the way they need to for the final outcome you predict.

Granted, I think Holla Forums tends to be right when it comes to SJW pandering, just by observing trends over time, but that doesn't mean that any given slippery slope makes it a valid argument.

The friend i was talking about was from (((California))), he used to chat with me and a bunch of international friends on IM, when he told me he was writing about the slippery slope "fallacy" he seemed quite ecstatic, he disappeared from the chat and our friend circle some time before the election and political polarization kicked in, he was already giving off signs of becoming an SJW so i'm sure he knew he'd feel threatened around my and my friends.

I would be lucky to land a 100k job here even if i went to college. America is a fucking mess right now, so i think im just gonna do woodworking or some trade so i can actually get work and not be in debt.

Actually it's the opposite. The people who tend to get shouted down with "slippery slope fallacy" are the ones pointing to the next link in the chain, not the end result.

Camera was beyond retarded, to the point even modders have a hard time making one worth a shit. Game was also way too fucking easy, most deaths are due to shitty camera placement.

Sure, but they're just wrong about someone using a fallacy. It doesn't mean that the illogical method of thinking doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Remembers me of one case where an IT company was sued by pajeets and chinks because they gave about 30% or something of the available jobs to whites,

Their claim was that since 90% of the applications where from pajeets and chinks, it was impossible that the company had picked that much white people just by random selection, and the company wasn't being "diverse" enough.
Which also made me think about how ironic was that people on visas or second generation immigrants are now the majority on this field but still want to claim the minority card to get their way

Australia's problem is that we're letting people in and paying them less
They should tax them more

So, a slippery slope argument basically argues that if you do A, a chain of events occurs and Z will happen. The problem with this is that this isn't enough for an argument, you can't just say "if you do A then Z will happen," you have to say "If you do A, B will happen, which will cause C to happen, which will cause D to happen…
etc. etc all the way down to Z, explaining why each one of those is the only outcome.

It's why "if you let your kids play DOOM, they'll become school shooters" is a slippery slope, because it fails to explain all of the shit that happens between playing DOOM and shooting up a school.

There are a few games that in my opinion stand out as absolutely flawless. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando, Max Payne 1 yes that includes the nightmare sections, Spyro 2, Crash Bandicoot 2 and Ys Origin.

For recent games a few games got really close but have some flaws. If I were to choose a few modern games as being the closest thing I'd say Ring Runner, Brigador and Steamworld Heist

I'm probably missing out on some console exclusives though.

While true in general, once you know the far-left mindset, you can easily jump from A to Z since they are not very subtle about what Z is and will do anything and everything to get there. Same with Jewry.

So, by definition, if the argument is, "B is the most likely, and reasonable outcome granting A", then it is not a slippery slope argument? Or if B is claimed to come from A, and that happens; and C is claimed to come from B, and that happens; is that a "slippery slope"? Is claiming that pulling a trigger will lead to a bullet going off a slippery slope, even if you don't describe the hammer, primer, and propellant?

RC2 was a masterpiece of platforming.

If people didn't know that guns shot bullets and were arguing over what would happen if the trigger were pulled, sure.

Sorry if I sound like smart-ass when saying this, but you're forgetting about the safety (If the gun has one, that is), the gun getting jammed, the amount of bullets, etc. So, an argument can be made that pulling a gun's trigger doesn't guarantee that it will go off. But, then again, even though that method of conclusion requires some mental gymnastics and defies 'all logical thinking, all they need is someone on the jury to go, "Hey, I saw that happen on CSI.", and they've won.

But that's kind of the point. History can show us Z, or something quite similar to it. So while people don't know A can lead to Z, past historical example demonstrates certain actions can most likely lead to very-similar-Z through the functions of B, C, etc. Is that fallacial thinking?

Good point.

Most people are too retarded or indoctrinated to actually know real history and make parallels to it, that's why you get the whole "fallacy" bullshit parroted by them.

DoD is still the greatest multiplayer experience of my life. I spent two years playing that game and enjoyed every second. It's a shame all I have now are 24/7 fucking avalanche servers and custom maps.

When someone says the slippery slope is a fallacy i point them tword 30's berlin. You know, the sex capital of europe before the war.

But my entire argument against considering slippery slope as a fallacy is that it completely disregards the concept of likelihood. Sure, the primer may not go off, there is no propellant in the cartridge, the gun may jam, etc., but what happens an overwhelming percent of the time? The bullet is fired. Slippery slope, as I see it used today, seems to function by giving all outcomes equal creedence, instead of some being overwhelmingly likely, while others having a negligably infitesimal chance of happening.

It really depends on how many variables can change. If you're talking about the firing mechanism of a gun, not much is likely to change. If you're talking about millions of people interacting with each other, there's a hell of a lot that's going to be different from history.

To go around the "nazi" Pavlovian responses, I actually use the fall of Rome as an example as to why decadence, degeneracy and multiculturalism is horrible in a nation. For multiculturalism I also use early 1900s Austria-Hungary as an example of why it fails.

30's berlin was before the nazis so they cant use that excuse. Im pretty sure berlin even had kiddie diddling somwhere in there. Its sickening. Its also a perfect example of the slippery slope in action.

That's the problem, though. That's exactly how they think. They give this one outcome that has a 1% chance of happening the same (If not, greater) weight than the outcome that has a 99% chance of happening. As long as it fits their argument, they don't care.

Common Sense would tell you that history is very predictable for future events.

The problem with today's people is that they like to think of themselves as "smarter" than the man of yesteryear because we have TV and iPhones. If you want a "Current year" example, you could point to how Japan is quite xenophobic, and they're very stable and have a lower crime-rate in comparison to a country like Britain (Or, anyone in the EU).

Good point, but I guess that carries the assumption that people in society will act in dramatically different ways through the ages, rather than more in accordance with a machine that performs the same task inevitably.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I argue against the Slippery Slope as an actual fallacy of logic.

Wiemar Ger,many had child prostitution with their own mothers and siblings in an all-in-one package at the peak of its degeneracy (all that for what they could buy a loaf of bread for). Not to mention rampant drugs everywhere, the NSDAP got into power and fixed shit starting in 1933. It wasn't until the late 30s that they did remove every trace of the degeneracy but using 30s Germany as an example would make slightly more informed plebs (or a Jew) shout Nazis in a heartbeat.

I thought the nazis were in power during the very late 30's and early 40's. Maybe i have my history wrong.

It's just the war that started in those years, that's also the time which they were far harsher on their domestic policies, due to war efforts.

In addendum, perhaps the way humans behave in society is not all that different than machines, if they are biologically pre-programmed to respond to certain stimulus by instinct.

agreed both are very solid rpgs

RDR and DOOM I agree with. Fuck, I can't believe there is still no PC port of RDR.

undertale

Personally [living in Slavland (not Moscow/Petersburg)] i consider now getting a nobrain codemonkey job for sweet 10k$, but in reality to get even this 'high' i would have to live on a job for the next five years and who knows how much more. Currently getting paid 3.5k$ (+1.5k$ in indirect taxes) which is considered good wage, keep it up! Gonna swap job soon to get only 2.5k$, yet at least build some professional skills to get 5k$ over the next few years and prob. move to yuropoor country to steal the system developer job (but who is going to hire me, when i'm not diverse at all, blonde non-asian looking slavs are not diverse enough for yuropean 'refugee' programs)

There are no objectively 10/10 game in modern times due to how complex it is and how incompetent designers are. Something will get fucked up along the way, the story with it's plot holes, the urgency like someone already mentioned, or the gameplay designer will get something wrong, like button input lag, a move that's not satisfying or necessary, etc. The reason why arcade games can be considered perfect is because of it's simplicity in design but complexity in mastery.

They went and changed a couple panty shots while leaving in bugs and balancing issues people have complained about since day one. The dev cares more about virtue signalling than fixing the game.

I always felt like the CT holding the shotgun in the CS box was smiling under his balaclava, like he was having fun in his job.

Look at his eyes, they aren't squinted correctly to look like he's smiling.

IDK man, I suppose he isn't smiling because it would be awkward, but this is just what I feel like when I see him.

Counter-Strike needs more lore if you ask me.

Not really possible in today's internationalized climate.
Being "pro" anywhere is a hate crime.

Aren't they trying to actually put some """"lore"""" with the terrorist bios and the CS:GO (((operations)))?

Yeah but that's modern Valve which means shit writing into making the Phoenix Connection just simple commies. Here is my lore of Counter-Strike.

The Phoenix Connection are a band of people from multiple east Euro shitholes, primarily Ukraine, dissatisfied with their shit economies after the CCCP fell. All of them have a hatred towards Russia for the subjugation of their sovereignty under communism and they believe that their blend of national bolshevism, capitalism, and Kabbalah will bring upon a spiritual genesis among the Slavs to alleviate the suffering that has always followed them.

The Arctic Avengers aren't just Swedish terrorists, they're national socialists who want to bring the revival of New Swabia and return the white man to his true home, Antarctica. In reality they're just puppets used by Russia to smash the terrorists organization known as the Phoenix Connection who have just begun operations in Kosovo.

The Elite Crew is just ISIS but funny like the GLA.

The Guerillas are officially designated as communists from Oman who wish to destroy Islam and bring their country to secularism but "free" it as well, and have launched a guerilla war against Saudi Arabia and North Yemen. They're funded by North Korea and China but also declared Pakistan an enemy so their relationship with China is rocky and they won't do anything. The group is filled with internal ideological differences from Leninism, Stalinsim, Ba'athism, democratic socialism, but one cell is actually a group of US agents trying to shift the group to work for the United States.

Is that really Yandev?
Jesus, he looks so fucking Jewish.

Except that the fact they only modified 2 and not more of them, suggests they were modified for reasons other then being panty shots. You know what a variable is, right anons?

Also, the fact they litterally explained why those 2 got changed, because they were animated in such a way that they showed the panties to the detriment of the animation looking good, wheras the other panty shots were designed to show panties so they animated fine.

Story:

Characters:

Gameplay:

Music:
youtube.com/watch?v=wYQHPO1lD7w
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyk1dsGZQY
youtube.com/watch?v=pO5iNCi8jHE
>Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, this is a Hentai game. This is the music you fuck people to.
youtube.com/watch?v=GauhWG340dI

Graphics:

Common complaints:
>There's too much content. Even if you take play through the game six times to go through every branching story path, there will still be events you haven't seen and characters you haven't cleared.

My nigger. Hands down the best game Japan ever produced.

I hated the fact that you need to deploy Senhime in battle every 3 turns in earlygame in order to not lose her. You typically only have a choice between her and Shibata when you get her, so unless you take NG+ bonuses you're forced to pick her over him even in situations where you need the protection. It was annoying.

And Assassinates are RNG bullshit. Units like Suzume are the worst in that regard since you only get one try and it's off with the whole unit. You could get the +2 action fans thingy that kills half your troops on that girl from Tanegashima and the unit does deal some damage in that case too to counterbalance that, but since Muskets are naturally slow you're not gonna get three shots off of her in most cases and joining at around 250 troops instead of around 500 will really hurt her since muskets have huge recruit costs. You could also use Whirlwind shot, but if you're using that you're not using a piercing attack.

Oh, and recruiting Takeda generals is a gigantic pain. It's worth it for the NG+ bonus, but surviving their blitz at earlygame without anyone useful dying is RNG. Hell, sometimes even surviving is RNG because the AI sometimes procs Assassinate 2. The game is fun, but it didn't get it right completely.

Have you tried VI and Kichikuou? I admit Sengoku was probably the best all around but I think VI had a better story and Kichikuou had better gameplay.

slowly working my way there. Already played Rance 1&2, now going through 3. While the older games lack in gameplay, they're funny as hell.

Yeah I had a hard time slogging through the older games and if I didn't already love the characters and setting I probably would have quit. 5D wasn't too bad though I just wish there was some was to hack the time since the time limit just kills all the fun of the game. Some hacker on Cheat Engine's forum said it's impossible though since the time has no true set value.

Wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how even the RNG isn't done using system clock or even just using a random initial seed like everyone else does it. Instead it's:
"The random number number is determined by the nth value in a list of 400 predefined random values, where n is a global variable that increments by 1 every time the list is accessed. When n reaches 401 it is reset back to 0 and the random numbers start to repeat."
so I wouldn't put it past the Nips to do time in a similarly retarded way.

I'd argue that the movement controls are even worse. Mario can't seem to go about-face in the game. He needs to walk in a donut loop first which really fucks you up in tense areas. There's a workaround for it, but nothing involving an intuitive & natural control scheme.

They took a good game and made it brilliant. The definitive look at how remakes should be done.

I still miss him. God damn it.

SUPER
SMASH
BROS.
MELEE

I'm not pissed about it because "muh dik" but because it looks worse from an artistic perspective. Skirts don't work like that, it looks unnatural.

Honestly, I find the Filia change significantly better, because it's modest 'n shit. Good 'cute' is becoming a lost art.

I still wonder what went through Sakurai's head to make him think. "I gotta dumb down this game." The game has terrible balance, but has the perfect accessibility level. Hell, even casuals have fun getting their asses handed to them in Melee. I hope the next lead developer is either Harada or someone knowledgeable about both fighting games and Nintendo.

How??

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apng

Which animations did they modify that didn't have panty shots?

Anything can be a good game if you make it so. For example right now I'm collecting rare Mokous exclusively on Holla Forums

Atmosphere. Dreamweb had great pixel art and one of the best game OSTs ever, filled with cyberpunk ambiance. CoC on the other hand has a great dark atmosphere but also great immersion, thanks to a HUD-less interface and smart use of scripted sequences. If there is one thing I want from other games, it is atmosphere and immersion. I want to FEEL like I'm really there. Take away the HUD, bring in on-screen cues for various things in the game that blends with the POV. Have great sound design that makes the world much more of a joy to go through. If it is a more linear game, use that to your advantage to make one great cohesive atmosphere. What are some games with great attention to atmosphere and immersion?