People accuse Todd of lying

Has this ever happened again after Morrowind?

Other urls found in this thread:

nma-fallout.com/threads/emil-pagliarulo-on-writing-for-fallout-4.212787/
web.archive.org/web/20090930061347/http://www.industrygamers.com:80/galleries/playing-favorites-bethesdas-todd-howard/1
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/which-oblivion-dev-lied-the-most.15427/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Young Todd sounds cute

He also spoke truth.

I miss the transparency, indie developers bullshit more than the industry guys.

He's STILL cute, you fucking asshole.

Todd is a patrician.

Holy shit, has Holla Forums been wrong about Todd all this time?

Is this our fate? Endlessly repeating the same arguments until the sun sets forever? I know of the graffiti wall

A hero the world needs.

"we" think he's an asshole mercenary, not that he has bad taste.

Todd hated bethesda games.

You are on Holla Forums, the website whose symbol is the infinity loop, and on very rare occasions the ouroboros, or a hybrid of the two, and you are asked if we are doomed to repeat this cursed cycle?

Yes. We will never escape our fate.

Daggerfags btfo

What happened?

Money

Nope.

Even before he knew it would be lucrative. Think about it from his perspective.
By making Fallout 3, he was taking a huge risk. But the game was still absolute trash.

What if Todd is actually one of us and the kikes at Zenimax are holding him by their noses to make his games as shitty as possible so they'll actually sell?

What if Todd Howard had full creative control over a project? All along I thought the man had a disdain for RPG's and just wanted to make action-adventure games, but now I have to wonder if he's the only man in the studio keeping the RPG elements.

We should find this Steve Cronin guy and see if he still feels that way.

What if this thread was made by Todd Howard

What if you're Todd Howard trying to damage control himself

I think Todd is a cool guy and that he just has a problem saying "no" when people on his team pitch an idea to him.
He keeps trying to recreate Ultima Underworld, which is a worthy pursuit, but he's hamstrung by his yes-man attitude and by his fear of telling players no or making them face negative consequences when they fuck up.

This actually really makes you think - for Todd, the "ideal game" is:

Put all of these together and it actually starts to make sense how Skyrim came out the way it did. It tried to do all of these things. It just did not do them very well.

Seems like it. His lies make me hate him every time he opens his mouth, though.

You give Todd too much credit. He doesn't have unmitigated control over the company.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Zenimax is to blame for a lot of Bethesda's problems, especially given what we know about how Zenimax operates.

This is the same "fallout 3 will have 200 endings" Todd that we know.

I don't know, people can change. Back then Todd was striving in a small and dying company, so he had to be a lot more gritty. Nowadays, Bethesda has all the money and there's nothing for him to fear about the future.

Yes, Bethesda ultimately has final say, but he was project lead for a while. His ideas sound amazing on paper, but come out overwhelmingly mediocre when implemented.

Zenimax and assholes like Pete Hines are undoubtedly responsible for most of its problems. But the actual execution does still fall flat.

He was legitimately good when he was working in the trenches as a developer (Morrowind's mod tools are a prime example of his handiwork) so, the way I see it, the problem with Todd is likely that his background in game development, and not business, essentially leaves him wholly unprepared to handle negotiations with other executives and the higher ups at Zenimax.

In fact, this is pretty much how all the old developer studios went to shit - back in the 90s and early 2000s you had all these development teams lead by guys who were really good at game development but knew fuck all about business, which resulted in the majority of them getting bamboozled by publishers into signing away their own company.

They really need to dump their shitty old patchwork engine and go with Unreal 4 or something. It would clear up at least 80% of the bizarre as fuck bugs that their games always have at launch.

It seems like independent contract developers are the only ones that make good games anymore. Obsidian has a solid track record and they seem to have a handle on both business and development/design.

Making a Bethesda RPG with all the stuff that you expect from a Bethesda RPG is actually a giant pain in the ass. I guarantee you that no matter what engine Bethesda uses these games will always be buggy.

Not going to happen with their greed.
When you use the unreal engine you have to give a certain percent of your cash back to them.

Todd is not a patrician and he isn't a greedy merchant either. He's a happy retard and he is the #1 biggest fanboy of Bethesda games, he's a yes-man that greenlights every retarded feature that gets pitched because "sure why not have more features!" This is why Bethesda games have no cohesion and tons of undeveloped ideas: they have no director.

He's probably the kind of guy that hits the 255 plugin limit then just makes merged patches because he loves content and features so much.

Todd probably doesn't "lie," at least not on purpose. He's just really excited about upcoming features and wants to talk about them even though they'll never get complete because everyone at Bethesda has ADHD and can't scope their projects properly.

Obsidian's last couple games have been dogshit and before those they absolutely did NOT have a good handle on business, just look at how rushed KOTOR 2, FNV, and Alpha Protocol were.

Also, Todd needs to fire Emil Pagliarulo. Or at least never let him write a story ever again.

maybe he works for the mosquito man?

Granted, I haven't played their latest games.
However, most of those rushed parts for the game was because their contractors screwed them over with really short development times. Hell, KOTOR II was cut off during development so LucacArts could pump it out before Christmas.

*their games

nma-fallout.com/threads/emil-pagliarulo-on-writing-for-fallout-4.212787/

not liking ultima 8

Getting a workable contract is unfortunately a very large part of the business of video game development.

I've heard of this guy before. Wasn't their some shit storm on Leddit's /Fallout with the fanboys getting upset that someone had the audacity to criticize the terrible writing of 4 that involved this guy?

He considered Sundog Frozen Legacy as the most underrated game ever made.

Regarding Todd's taste and inspiration, he's extremely eclectic. Just look at his top 10 list. There's even a CoD.

web.archive.org/web/20090930061347/http://www.industrygamers.com:80/galleries/playing-favorites-bethesdas-todd-howard/1

I also found some funny shit.
Lol manlet.

really activate your almonds.

Sounds like it would be a good Zelda game.

I wouldn't say it's that eclectic. His reasoning for it all is consistent with what he does, I think. The only thing I'd say is peculiar with its variance is how it differs from a lot of other designers - that is to say, it actually seems like it was made by someone who's actively playing video games. It's not like your average [current year] Indie dev where you have to question if they ever actually play anything.

fuck

I can't attest to the validity of this quote being from the person the image claims it's form

It's not.
Here's the source

thanks, I wonder why it's being incorrectly attributed to descartes.

There we go, patching up one misconception at a time.

People have always thought Todd wasn't the sole reason the games went to shit and wasn't always intentionally lying, the memes are just a manifestation of that sentiment
Hell, I think that too, but that doesn't make all the Prince of Lies shit any less hilarious

My only main problem with Todd is that he's held up as a good game developer, when he isn't the games he helms aren't coherent experiences, and many aspects of them pull at one another when they should lean on one another. The Elder Scrolls really is just an issue of zero competition, I can't wait for the day that we see someone else release a competitor, and not be pants on head retarded like Two Worlds.

I always thought that Todd wanted to make great games but Zenimax gives him little budget or manpower, and they need him to casualize games for a larger audience, now he's just someone that talks about future products from Zeni.

Sounds about right
It's the same reason Bethesda games keep being simplified. Because a normalfag encounters any amount of difficulty and starts screeching about how all gamers are losers and how Bethesda should change it.

ur an ledditor ;^)
Yes, there were a bunch of people upset with him because he kept disregarding lore and rewriting over things from past games or adding in things that were invented after the date of the nuclear fallout.
There was also a problem with him contradicting his own lore in a questline, in which later lore in the story was clearly stated to not be the case earlier.

He then said "lmao it's just fiction xD get a life nurds".

This was all over Twitter and an user kept posting them in the Boston Salt Party threads.

As others pointed out earlier, I think he just constantly says "Yes", thinking more features = better game, but it gets to the point where every single developer is making their own system/feature and everything gets half-baked.

The person in the image is voltaire
But as far as I can find the source is indeed this handle

If they would use a new engine it would probably be custom built from id Tech, no doubt, id Tech is powerful and they have the manpower and money to do that.

Why has Todd always been fascinated by mountains?

Mountains make everyone look short.

Because he's sh-

yeah

wtf I love Todd now

I definitely agree with the yes thing and Todd is probably a nice guy, but he's a trash game developer who clearly doesn't know what he wants to do with the games he helms, except for give it lots of content, and in order to give it lots of content he just says yes.

Are there any actual issues with the Creation Engine at it's core? it's just shitty Bethesda, they have the engine's source cod they can change any and every aspect of the engine itself and have on many occassions made large changes to the engine, ladders are just Beth being lazy, bugs are just beth being lazy, crashes are just beth being lazy, optimization is just beth being lazy.

or may he works for them…

No you faggot. He's been shit for the last 10 years, he got corrupted by shekels and sucks donkey cockhole. He is a hollow person.

dubs checking plz ignore >>12580000

Hell, even the last 20 years even.

Exactly this. Pete Hines is cancer personified and I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

Todd was a good guy who tragically lost his way. No doubt thanks to his (((environment))).

He loves fucking Evola.

That was pete hines, not todd. Pete is a cunt. He's even stated that conversations are boring in rpgs so you should be able to just walk away and not deal with conversations in games and not pay attention to it. He's all a ceo of bethesda. Hint hint on the decline of their games.

Legs arent long enough to climb them. Like playing football.

Take off that chen flag.

The twinkle in his youthful "wanna fuck?" eyes have long since faded. Maybe there is a tragedy there, but as with most of the big heads in Bethesda/Zenimax these days, they've got to go.

The ending of the words is almsivi

about that, there's no routines.

Liking Star Wars makes you a pleb automatically, tho.

Can you stop posting the cropped pic

This is true, Pete did say that but IIRC Todd also agreed with him

Did the internet even exist back then? Jesus

Is Zenimax going to let him make that historical turn-based RPG he wanted to make?

I was in college back then. Everyone smoked and no one had a cell phone or laptop. And it was 50/50 white/asian in the good schools with no niggers anywhere.

For humor.

Pete Hines isn't a CEO, he's the head of PR and marketing for Zenimax and all of their studios, including BGS (Todd's team).

Yes, underageb&, it did.

rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/which-oblivion-dev-lied-the-most.15427/

If he was born in 1997 he'd be 20 now.

In 1 more year, people from 2000 can vote, imagine that.

They are really low quality writers. The players experience npc paranoia, but they are not suspicious, there is no reason to be suspicious about anybody, there is no betrayal or anything. Only dima made me suspicious.
Still, I understand when he talks about players making paper airplanes with what they write. Only 20% of the people actually finish the few hours long mainquest. Everybody else put little effort in the story and lore. And without that 80% the game would have been much more humble

No.

how fucking young are you? we had internet in the labs (and in the dorms, if you got them to hook it up) as early as 1992.

2,017 - 1,997 = 20

I refuse.

Manlets memes assure, having short legs doesn't actually stop you from playing football.

It's managable in slower paced games, to be fair. OOT only ran at like 20fps.

FUCK.

yamero

20 Years is a long time, and can change many people.

theyre like boobs

Todd lied and failed to deliver about multiple things in Morrowind.

Really activates your almonds, doesn't it.

And yet he'd still be
FOREVER UNDERAGE

Kant was a fucking autist who couldn't understand why sometimes it's OK to kill one person and not another.

That video is a joke, you autist.